PDA

View Full Version : Steelers can clinch a playoff spot this week if...

Troyisabeast_43
12-01-2008, 05:28 PM
They beat the Cowboys, and the Patriots lose in Seattle and the Dolphins lose in Buffalo (which btw will be played up in Toronto,Canada). Here is how it can happen...

If Pittsburgh wins vs Dallas:

Pittsburgh's worst possible record would be 10-6(8-4 in the AFC)

If New England loses vs Seattle:

New England's best possible record would be 10-6(Pittsburgh wins head to head tie-breaker)

If Miami loses vs Buffalo:

Miami's best possible record would be 10-6(7-5 in the AFC, Pittsburgh wins this tie breaker)

With the Miami loss vs Buffalo, you have to consider Buffalo.

Buffalo's best possible record would be 10-6.

1st tie-breaker is head to head

Not applicable

2nd tie-breaker is conference record

worst for Pittsburgh is 8-4 and best for Buffalo is 8-4.

still tied

3rd tie-breaker is record in common games(min 4 games)

Buffalo's best possible record would be 3-2(JAC,SD,NEx2,CLE)

Pittsburgh's worst possible record would be 4-1(JAC,SD,NE,CLEx2)

STEELERS ARE IN!!!!

Dean Denton
12-01-2008, 07:11 PM
I think it would be better to win all four of our final games, and hope the Titans drop one to someone other than us so we can get home field through out. 13-3 sounds good to me, and I would love another shot at the Giants. Everyone sucks but us,and I hate all the world....

AZ_Steeler
12-01-2008, 07:34 PM
Why isn't Baltimore figured into that equation? :scratch: Or are you just saying the Steelers could be no worse than a wild card?

Troyisabeast_43
12-01-2008, 08:22 PM
I think it would be better to win all four of our final games, and hope the Titans drop one to someone other than us so we can get home field through out. 13-3 sounds good to me, and I would love another shot at the Giants. Everyone sucks but us,and I hate all the world....

I agree with you and it's a very possible scenario as well. The Titans play at Indianapolis the last week of the season which is a game where the Titans most definitely can lose. The Steelers the last week play the Cleveland Browns who will have Ken Dorsey as their starting QB for the remainder of the season. I know it's a long way off but if the Steelers can win the next two weeks against the Cowboys and Ravens it is going to make this scenario very very possible for it to come true...

Stlrs4Life
12-01-2008, 08:56 PM
What AZ said. Evrybody thinks that we can get in if we beat Dallas and lose to the ravens, titans, and Stains?

BlitzburghRockCity
12-01-2008, 11:42 PM
Basically if that scenario plays out as 43 mentioned we'd be atleast in as a wildcard 6th seed if we didn't win another game. Obviously nobody wants that in terms of squeaking in but that's how it could happen.

This team needs to have tunnel vision like Tomlin mentioned, you focus on your next opponent and give it everything you got. Then you move on to the next one. We do that and play like we have been and things will work out for us in the postseason.

steelerschick1220
12-01-2008, 11:50 PM
I can't see NE or the Dolphins losing really. I do feel that if we beat Dallas we will be in the playoffs, it is just to be determined if it is as a division winner or( God-forbid) a wildcard. We just need to take it one game at a time and worry about this week's opponet, not what is ahead of us. I would love to get the one seed from TN. My only worry is that the one seed in the AFC(aside from the Cheaters last year) haven't done squat in the playoffs recently.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-02-2008, 09:00 AM
There's going to be a log jam for those final 2 wildcard spots like you wouldn't believe in the next few weeks. Between the Ratbirds, Dolphins, Pats, even the Bills are still in it barely.

steelcitysfinestXL
12-02-2008, 10:17 AM
I thinnk the best thing we can do as a team, is take care of business week in and week out. If BAL loses out and we go 2-2 to win the division, doesnt make us any better as a team heading into the playoffs. I'd rahter go 4-0 or 3-1 (beating baltimore) gaining momentum going into the playoffs. We REALLY need our offense to continue to gel and our defense to capitalize on some more missed oppurtunities. If that happens we can be a VERY dangerous team to anybody anywhere!

DIESELMAN
12-02-2008, 11:42 AM
I thinnk the best thing we can do as a team, is take care of business week in and week out. If BAL loses out and we go 2-2 to win the division, doesnt make us any better as a team heading into the playoffs. I'd rahter go 4-0 or 3-1 (beating baltimore) gaining momentum going into the playoffs. We REALLY need our offense to continue to gel and our defense to capitalize on some more missed oppurtunities. If that happens we can be a VERY dangerous team to anybody anywhere!
:plus1: I agree..... We continue to play good football, getting better every weekend. We can win out 4-0, with a good head of steam into the playoffs.

JensK
12-03-2008, 10:41 AM
Playoff scenario season kicks off for the Steelers
Wednesday, December 03, 2008
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

As robins do in the spring, the NFL signals the coming of its "second season" by issuing what it calls "playoff scenarios" each week late in the regular season. They've been out a few weeks now, and yesterday the Steelers appeared for the first time.

Yes, the Steelers at 9-3 could clinch a playoff spot this week. To do so, they must beat the Dallas Cowboys at Heinz Field and the Miami Dolphins and the New England Patriots both have to lose.

That's the simple version because in the other scenario, Miami can tie, but then the Steelers need the Patriots and the New York Jets to lose.
Who's left?

Remaining schedules for the Steelers and Ravens as they battle for the AFC North:

Steelers (9-3): vs. Cowboys; at Ravens; at Titans; vs. Browns. Combined W-L: 31-17.

Ravens (8-4): vs. Redskins; vs. Steelers; at Cowboys; vs. Jaguars. Combined W-L: 28-20.

The Steelers have a bigger prize in mind: They want to win the AFC North Division, which would give them at least one home playoff game, and they then would like to earn one of the top two seeds. That not only would give them a home playoff game but a bye into that game and then a ticket to the AFC championship by winning just once.

Their biggest obstacle to both are the surprising Baltimore Ravens, who loom one game behind them in the division at 8-4.

The simplest way for the Steelers to take care of the Ravens would be to win Dec. 14 in Baltimore. However, if the Steelers were to lose that game, it would open many possibilities.

If Baltimore were to beat the Steelers and the teams tied atop the AFC North, things could get sticky. The first tiebreaker is head-to-head, and that would be a draw. Next up is division record. The Steelers are 4-0 and the Ravens 4-1, but a loss in Baltimore for the Steelers likely could leave the teams tied there as well.

Next up would be record among common opponents. To date, the Ravens are 6-3 and the Steelers 5-3 there, but the Ravens have to play the Washington Redskins, Cowboys and Jacksonville Jaguars around the Steelers in their final four games. It's possible that category could be tied as well. Then the tiebreaker moves to strength of victory, which is described as calculating the combined winning percentage of the opponents a team has beaten.

There are more, but that is where we will stop. The Steelers have a much clearer path to a No. 2 seed if they can win the division because they have a better record (8-1) in the AFC than the Jets (6-4) or the Denver Broncos (4-5), who are leading their respective divisions. And that's not likely to change if the Steelers win their division.

So, in this morning's line, it appears the Steelers have a great chance to get that No. 2 seed and the booty that goes with it, provided they hold off the Ravens in their own division.

rest of the article: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08338/932286-66.stm

Well, appears that we are in much better shape than i at least thought we were. All we have to do is to win against Ravens and then keep up with Jets, then the second seed is ours. :tt02:

steelerschick1220
12-03-2008, 01:00 PM
Playoff scenarios confuse the living crap out of me sometimes. Especially all the various tiebreakers and stuff. It would be so awesome to clinch a spot this week.

JensK
12-03-2008, 03:58 PM
Here's the standings right now, plus some ekstra graphics and such: http://www.nfl.com/playoffs/story?id=09000d5d80cfd578&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

and for those who are having a hard time with the tie-break rules: http://www.nfl.com/standings/tiebreakingprocedures :-)

Zachintosh66
12-03-2008, 08:43 PM
playoff spot is the last thing we need to worry about... play the damn game first... let everything else take care of itself