PDA

View Full Version : Pittsburgh/New England: Who has the advantage?

DBR96A
11-29-2008, 02:54 AM
If our offense plays to its full potential, then New England's defense doesn't scare me. Their defense ranks 12th overall -- 14th against the run, and 17th against the pass. They allow 81 more yards per game than we do, and while they're 8th overall in points allowed, they allow an average of six more points per game than our defense does. However, I think we can beat them through the air because only Arizona has allowed more TD passes so far this season than New England has.

They will not be able to run on us. Nobody has, not even the New York Giants. The key to this game is going to be containing Matt Cassel and the WRs. The good news is, only one QB has thrown more than one TD pass against us this season (Peyton Manning) -- and no QB has thrown for 250+ passing yards. New England's offense averages 57 more yards per game than we do, but only three more points per game.

What encourages me about Sunday's game is that the margin of performance between our defense and theirs is larger than the margin between their offense and ours. Also, while Matt Cassel has played well this season, he's still no Tom Brady. I expect a close game, but I like our chances much better this year than I did last year.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-29-2008, 11:41 AM
Knowing that our D shut down the giants and colts for most of the game until our offense gave it away makes me confident that our guys can stand up to the Pats but still that same old same old thing that always happens when we play them just creeps right back in there.

Clearly our D is better than the Pats is, no question but can our offense get hot and stay hot enough to continue this winning streak. If they can just hold their own I like our chances.

Steelersfan
11-29-2008, 11:45 AM
Every time the Steelers play the Pats it seems like the Pats get an INT, KR, or something returned for a TD. If the Steelers offense scores TD's instead of FG's and they don't turn the ball over, they should win.

steelerschick1220
11-29-2008, 02:16 PM
I can't say that I am worried about our D. If our O just plays solid and ben does what he has done that last couple weeks, we will win this game. I cannot imaigine cassel having a 400 yard day on our D. I think he should feel fortunate if he makes it to 200.

Iron City South
11-29-2008, 02:21 PM
Until we win in Foxboro .... we are nothing.

Black@Gold Forever32
11-29-2008, 02:41 PM
I can't say that I am worried about our D. If our O just plays solid and ben does what he has done that last couple weeks, we will win this game. I cannot imaigine cassel having a 400 yard day on our D. I think he should feel fortunate if he makes it to 200.

The key to our defense is pressure on the QB....Last year our defense failed consistently to get pressure on Tom Brady.......Yes this years defense is much better since Woodley has replaced Haggans and Troy P is healthy......But still there has been games this year were this defense couldn't get any pressure on the QB.....The Giants game was an alarming one......If our defense can't get to Cassel tomorrow then he will have a big day....He will pick us apart...Its not so much him but the Pats system is such a effecient system.....One thing Cassel does have is great mechanics and that is another reason why he has had some big games this year......

Gettysburgh_Steel
11-29-2008, 05:43 PM
Nobody is picking this defense apart.Our biggest improvement has been our special teams play. They should be the deciding factor in this game. Control the clock and send these bastards home with thier tails between thier legs. They won't have to go too far to thier dwellings. We have to make ourselves at home,at thier house. I know we will too!!!!!!

Black@Gold Forever32
11-29-2008, 07:42 PM
Nobody is picking this defense apart.Our biggest improvement has been our special teams play. They should be the deciding factor in this game. Control the clock and send these bastards home with thier tails between thier legs. They won't have to go too far to thier dwellings. We have to make ourselves at home,at thier house. I know we will too!!!!!!

If the defense doesn't get pressure on Cassel then Cassel will pick the defense apart....Brady did last year since there wasn't any pressure on him....I'm not saying Cassel is as good as Tom Brady but the Pats have a system and with their weapons that they can pick a defense apart if their QB has time to do so.....

Blind homers like you crack me up....Think the Steelers are some unstoppable football that will cake walk in New England tommorrow......:lol:

HUNT4SEVEN
11-29-2008, 10:15 PM
Well it's our turn for some payback, i say we win tomorrow 38-17 , as long as our Offense holds up:imho::yellowthumb:

BlitzburghRockCity
11-29-2008, 10:20 PM
Until we win in Foxboro .... we are nothing.

Until we beat any team with a winning record we are still just nothing more than pretenders. So yeah I'd have to say you're pretty much right on. Considering our record to this point against quality teams and what lies ahead of us this is about as important for not only our record and momentum but the psyche of the team in general.

The key to our defense is pressure on the QB....Last year our defense failed consistently to get pressure on Tom Brady.......Yes this years defense is much better since Woodley has replaced Haggans and Troy P is healthy......But still there has been games this year were this defense couldn't get any pressure on the QB.....The Giants game was an alarming one......If our defense can't get to Cassel tomorrow then he will have a big day....He will pick us apart...Its not so much him but the Pats system is such a effecient system.....One thing Cassel does have is great mechanics and that is another reason why he has had some big games this year......

The key to any Steeler team is always pressure by the defense. I don't care if it comes from the linebackers, safeties, DL, or whoever but if we don't get pressure on Cassel we might as well just hang it up because they'll use that short passing game and just march down the field time after time. Sure tackling is also a must, swarming to the ball carrier and not letting them get any yards after the card. First contact the ball carrier has to go down hard every time.

If we can do that I love our chances tomorrow.

DBR96A
11-30-2008, 01:51 AM
Until we beat any team with a winning record we are still just nothing more than pretenders.

Baltimore and Washington have losing records?