PDA

View Full Version : Pittsburgh’s Smith repeats his guarantee

jpele
11-25-2008, 07:53 PM
No one knows whether the New York Giants will repeat, but Steelers safety Anthony Smith already has.

One year after guaranteeing that Pittsburgh would beat New England – only to see his team and himself embarrassed – Smith is offering up the same sentiments prior to this week’s game against the Patriots.

“If they ask me again, I’ll say the same thing,” Smith told the Indiana Gazette. “We’re the No. 1 defense. If we play like we’ve been playing, and our offense comes around and has a good game, and we’re clicking on all cylinders, we’re going to win the game.”

When Smith uttered the comments last year — “Yeah, I can guarantee a win,” he said, “as long as we come out and do what we got to do” – the comment was a magnet for attention within the Patriots organization.

Even after New England dismantled Pittsburgh, 34-13, Patriots coach Bill Belichick took his own little jab, saying: “We’ve played against a lot better safeties than him, I’ll tell you. The safety play at that position was pretty inviting.”

Now Smith is inviting more attention with more of the same.

Link (http://blogs.nfl.com/2008/11/25/pittsburghs-smith-repeats-his-guarantee/)

Can someone give this clown a beat down, the guy can't even get on the field without someone getting injured, yet he still runs his mouth.

K Train
11-25-2008, 07:56 PM
im disappointed, he didnt guarantee anything...he basically said

I guarantee we will will win if the defense and offense play well and everything goes right

Bold prediction there.

this thread title should be

"Media trys to get steelers cockiest player in trouble again by asking him questions that could possibly be misinterpreted by the general population as possibly guaranteeing a win against a new england team far inferior to the one he guaranteed one against last year"

or something like that lol

BlitzburghRockCity
11-25-2008, 07:56 PM
“If they ask me again, I’ll say the same thing,” Smith told the Indiana Gazette. “We’re the No. 1 defense. If we play like we’ve been playing, and our offense comes around and has a good game, and we’re clicking on all cylinders, we’re going to win the game.”

That's not really a guarantee, last year he actually said those exact words but judging by what he said here it's nothing more than anyone else would say. Still I wish he'd just chill and keep his mouth shut, it's not like he's actually done anything this year.

K Train
11-25-2008, 07:59 PM
im definitely disappointed in this article lol

LatrobePA
11-25-2008, 08:09 PM
Hmmmmm, I wonder why they would ask a NON-STARTER this question!! The media sucks almost as bad as the Browns!!

SteelerNC
11-25-2008, 08:12 PM
Hmmmmm, I wonder why they would ask a NON-STARTER this question!! The media sucks almost as bad as the Browns!!

Amen brother

Forged in Steel
11-25-2008, 08:28 PM
The Patriots will be cheating on all cylinders...

LatrobePA
11-25-2008, 08:33 PM
The Patriots will be cheating on all cylinders...

LMAO!! I hate Bill Bellacheater!!:cursin:

Steel Trap86
11-25-2008, 09:01 PM
ya i saw this! why the **** is he even talking, he's not playing.
but this year things are different and the steelers will take out the patriots with a number of defensive stops to win the game. cassell will get the hit of his career this sunday.

SteelerFan87
11-25-2008, 09:24 PM
This is so stupid. Some guy from a newspaper nobody's ever heard of thinks he can get a good story by asking Smith if he still thinks the Steelers will beat the Pats. What's Smith supposed to say? Why would anybody be mad at him? Why should he back down? He's confident. That's a good thing. I would rather he say that the Steelers are going to blow out the Pats, and afterwards he's going to bang Gisele and make Brady watch, than put his tail between his legs and back down so as not to risk angering the mighty Patriots.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-26-2008, 12:34 AM

Because they knew he couldn't keep his big mouth shut, lol. They've probably had his name circled since the schedule came out and they jumped on the first chance they got to try and get him to bite on the question again.

SteelersWoman
11-26-2008, 05:59 AM

I guarantee we will will win if the defense and offense play well and everything goes right

Bold prediction there...

This is what I've been sayin since this happened last year. (In fact, again just a few days ago on another thread in this section). Yep, some "guarantee" there! The media just LOVES to light it up and :stirpot: with artful editing.

Besides, the fact that he did it again shows he didn't feel he had any reason to feel he'd said anything wrong. Ask him next year (as long as we're playin halfway decent) and I'm sure he'll say it again lol And ya know what? He'd be right :D

Stairwayto7
11-26-2008, 09:29 AM
Indiana Gazzette??? Who cares?? LOL

I`ll make a Guarantee, write this down! If we score more points than the pats do, we will win! I know I`m going out on a limb here, But I Guarantee!

jpele
11-26-2008, 10:43 AM

Bold prediction there.

this thread title should be

"Media trys to get steelers cockiest player in trouble again

I'd agree with that.

That's not really a guarantee, last year he actually said those exact words

Last year his exact words were:

“I can guarantee a win. As long as we come out and do what we got to do.”
Source (http://www.metrobostonnews.com/us/article/2008/11/25/00/5856-66/index.xml)

The fact is ,no matter what he actually said the Pats used it to their advantage. Smith should have just kept his mouth shut.

BlackGold4vr
11-26-2008, 12:02 PM
ya i saw this! why the **** is he even talking, he's not playing.
but this year things are different and the steelers will take out the patriots with a number of defensive stops to win the game. cassell will get the hit of his career this sunday.

C'mon now, give the guy a break. He does play special teams where he is quickly establishing himself as a penalty magnet for illegal blocks, late hits, and plastering receivers who have called for fair catches. I used to be a big fan of AS until I realized he is just a dumbshit. The less he is on the field the better because he doesn't seem intelligent enough to control his emotions.

:rant2:

K Train
11-26-2008, 01:21 PM
that fair catch wasnt his fault....there was a guy in his way and when the returner caught it he took off running i would have hit him too. he really is a good player

LarryNJ
11-26-2008, 01:40 PM
I would rather he say that the Steelers are going to blow out the Pats, and afterwards he's going to bang Gisele and make Brady watch, than put his tail between his legs and back down so as not to risk angering the mighty Patriots.

:lol::lol::cope:

that fair catch wasnt his fault....there was a guy in his way and when the returner caught it he took off running i would have hit him too.

You're right he was being blocked and didn't see the half *** wave the returner did.

steelcitysfinestXL
11-26-2008, 02:45 PM
that fair catch wasnt his fault....there was a guy in his way and when the returner caught it he took off running i would have hit him too. he really is a good player

:plus1: I'm still gonna say Ant Smith can be a speacial player in this league... Buts its hard to imagine him as a starter or even a split-timer until he proves he can run the D like it should be run.

It will only take one hit for him to get im everyones good graces again... I'd love to see him destroy Wes Welker (or whomever is their PR) and cause a turnover this week, then you'll will love him again!

Dean Denton
11-26-2008, 03:31 PM
Last year I was ok with what he did because he was starting and had to go out and back it up. this year, its just stupid. Not him mind you. What player wouldn't say that? I think its stupid to even talk about it. Every team thinks they are going to win. If you didn't, why are you playing? however this year we wont have to see him get torched by any deep balls...

Black@Gold Forever32
11-26-2008, 04:03 PM
Smith doesn't start on this team so he should just shut the **** up.....Who cares what Anthony Smith has to say anyway......Earn a starting gig and keep it Anthony then you can speak.....I'm so tired of hearing that Anthony Smith is a good player.......He is talented but he doesn't seem to grasp the mental part of the game and is a bit full of himself.....Which holds him back from becoming the player he can be.......Smith is a bum at this point and really by him not seeing the field much this season even in the sub packages of this defense is a sign that Smith's future in Pittsburgh is in doubt.....

I had high hopes for Anthony Smith coming out of Syracuse....He really was a good college player on some really bad college teams....He also blocked 6 kicks in college....He really is an example of wasted talent.....

jpele
11-26-2008, 04:40 PM
I had high hopes for Anthony Smith coming out of Syracuse....He really was a good college player on some really bad college teams....He also blocked 6 kicks in college....He really is an example of wasted talent.....

My thoughts exactly. Anthony could be the poster child for stupid.

SteelersWoman
11-26-2008, 05:21 PM
...The fact is ,no matter what he actually said the Pats used it to their advantage....

The Pats were golden last year (til the SB) so it's not like they needed anyone's words to win games--they were already doin a pretty good job of that all season long.:imho:

Dean Denton
11-26-2008, 05:56 PM
I think he would be taken more serious if he were starting. He's just a back up this time around. Also, you cant go back on what you said. We dont have any sissy's on this team , and you need to back up what you say even if your a tard. He cant go back on it now. I'm proud of him for sticking to his guns. I think we win too. but I think we win every game....lol

blackngold29
11-30-2008, 04:18 PM
I understand that he didn't really guarentee a win, but I would like to know why he's talking about stuff like this at all. Did he not learn?

ejsteeler
11-30-2008, 04:23 PM
i don't blame him as much as I blame the freakin media. They suck and love to exploit this kind of shiat. I hate the media. :evilshake: