PDA

View Full Version : Moore really impressing me....

TampaSteelGirl
11-23-2008, 08:10 AM
:tt02:I feel so confident when I see Moore out there as our RB..I don't feel the same with Parker. I'm really impressed with the power and will or Moore. Does anyone feel he's a better RB than Willie? Willie just seems too light and Moore just pushes and pounds his way to get the yards we need. I don't know I"m just really impressed, he was a huge asset to this team!!!

SteelerNC
11-23-2008, 08:42 AM
I was wondering what happened to Willie Thursday night, but when Moore came in he had some good runs.

TampaSteelGirl
11-23-2008, 09:11 AM
I was wondering what happened to Willie Thursday night, but when Moore came in he had some good runs.

I was wondering the same thing..Parker wasn't really productive out there so I just thought they replaced him with Moore but now I'm wondering about that knee, perhaps he hurt his knee then but it worked out better for us, Moore kept going and going...Loved it!

Axeman
11-23-2008, 09:38 AM
:tt02:I feel so confident when I see Moore out there as our RB..I don't feel the same with Parker. I'm really impressed with the power and will or Moore. Does anyone feel he's a better RB than Willie? Willie just seems too light and Moore just pushes and pounds his way to get the yards we need. I don't know I"m just really impressed, he was a huge asset to this team!!!

I too am impressed with the play of Moore, I liked him in Minnesota and I love him in the Black and Gold, "fwp" doesn't stand for "fast Willie Parker" anymore, now it stands for "fragile Willie Parker". I wish Tomlin would start Moore and keep Willie as the change of pace back. Moore can do EVERYTHING on that field. I guess wait for see.

TampaSteelGirl
11-23-2008, 10:09 AM
I too am impressed with the play of Moore, I liked him in Minnesota and I love him in the Black and Gold, "fwp" doesn't stand for "fast Willie Parker" anymore, now it stands for "fragile Willie Parker". I wish Tomlin would start Moore and keep Willie as the change of pace back. Moore can do EVERYTHING on that field. I guess wait for see.

He reminds me somewhat of Jerome Bettis, I see alot of Jerome potential in him. Tomlin was smart in picking him up! I see great things for him in Black and Gold! He's a real play maker, he'll win many more games for us!!! :tt02:

BlitzburghRockCity
11-23-2008, 12:16 PM
Ah yes, here we go again, ok here we go :lol:

I'd rather have Willie back there, and use Moore in a complimentary role and 3rd down back, etc. When he came back a couple weeks ago he was running hard, strong, and look like the Willie of old. Moore did a good job for us and we definitely need him as well, we're lucky to have the guy. The running game sputtered in the first half last week along with the whole offense, it wasn't Willie's fault we couldn't do much to move the ball. The passing game was clicking but the Bengals were selling out to stop the run plain and simple, neither team was able to grind it out. The combination of Moore coming in when Parker went down and the fact that the Bengals had to try and stop our passing game too in the 2nd half when we started scoring allowed us to use the running game more effectively. If FWP had been in there we'd have still been able to run the ball.

AZ_Steeler
11-23-2008, 12:22 PM
I think the board is pretty much split down the middle. There are the FWP people and the Moore people. I think Moore brings a little more to the table when he is in the backfield. He can catch the ball, make people miss and can lay some thunder on someone who gets in his way... I just don't see all those qualities from FWP :dunno:

Willie is great to but his greatness is limited.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-23-2008, 12:29 PM
Suffice it to say we'd be in worse trouble on offense than we already if we didn't have Moore; he's done a great job in Parkers absence. We need all 3 guys healthy and available for this offense to work and that hasn't been the case this year except for a few guys, and in those games we won. Ben needs all the weapons he can get. I like MW's versatility a lot, but I think teams have a harder time stopping FWP. Also keep in mind that Parker doesn't get many looks in the passing game so we don't really know for sure how good or not good he is in that role.

It's that damn Steelersfan's fault, he started this debate ever since Parker became the starter :lol:

Black@Gold Forever32
11-23-2008, 12:32 PM
I liked the signing of Moore since he was a quality RB in Minnesota....Moore had a combined 1000 yards rushing/receiving back in 2005 when he was a Viking....He is complete RB....His best skills are catching the ball out of the backfield and picking up the blitz on 3rd down.....Plus he is a good runner in his own right but he is no Jerome Bettis....lol Moore weighs 209 were Bettis topped the scales at 250+ (probably 270-280) late in his career.....Another point Moore hasn't been able to punch it when called upon quite a few times at the 1 yard line this year.....At least 4 times the last few weeks....Bettis wouldn't have been stopped like that from the 1 yard line.....

But Moore isn't that type RB so goal line situations are not his forte.....Moore also isn't a RB that can carry the load week in and week out.....He has done a very good job when called upon and really has saved the Steelers on offense this year....But its foolish to think he can shoulder the complete load at RB for this team.....

But unless Gary Russell steps up and help Moore out then there isn't any other option....Since Willie Parker can't be counted on at this point anymore.....Parker comes back and carries the ball a few times and get hurts again.....That is becoming a huge concern....

Back to Moore like I said he has been a huge asset this year but he is far from a RB that can carry our entire running game and the whole offense really.....He needs help and it would be nice if Ben and the passing game could consistently get in sync to make life easier for Moore and the rest of the RBs really...

BlitzburghRockCity
11-23-2008, 12:51 PM
The thing that drives me nuts about Moore is that he won't just lower his head and power his way into the endzone, he tries that ridiculous jumping stuff, or just doesn't hit the hole at the goal line the same way he does in the open field like you mentioned. Parker has gotten a lot better at that than he used to be but still out of the 3 I'd rather have Russel in there doing the short yardage stuff. You're right though that we can't count on having Parker back there for any length of time because he continues to get hurt. I just don't think we'll be able to run the ball enough, consistently if Parker isn't available and we all know if you can't run the ball then you can't win in the playoffs.

This is a point where I was really hoping that Mendenhall would have been able to step up and help carry the load for us this year but that will have to wait obviously. Let's be honest here, there's a reason that Moore isn't a starting RB in this year after all this time. He does a great job in a fill in, complimentary, 3rd down role but asking him to carry the load week in and week out isn't playing to his strengths and it's not what he's best at and our running game suffers. This team needs all 3 backs healthy doing what they are best at if we're going to succeed.

Black@Gold Forever32
11-23-2008, 01:02 PM
The thing that drives me nuts about Moore is that he won't just lower his head and power his way into the endzone, he tries that ridiculous jumping stuff, or just doesn't hit the hole at the goal line the same way he does in the open field like you mentioned. Parker has gotten a lot better at that than he used to be but still out of the 3 I'd rather have Russel in there doing the short yardage stuff. You're right though that we can't count on having Parker back there for any length of time because he continues to get hurt. I just don't think we'll be able to run the ball enough, consistently if Parker isn't available and we all know if you can't run the ball then you can't win in the playoffs.

This is a point where I was really hoping that Mendenhall would have been able to step up and help carry the load for us this year but that will have to wait obviously. Let's be honest here, there's a reason that Moore isn't a starting RB in this year after all this time. He does a great job in a fill in, complimentary, 3rd down role but asking him to carry the load week in and week out isn't playing to his strengths and it's not what he's best at and our running game suffers. This team needs all 3 backs healthy doing what they are best at if we're going to succeed.

I agree Top with pretty much everything in your post here...I think you hit the nail on the head really.....Losing Rashard Mendenhall was a huge blow and having Rashard right about now would be great......But I think Mike Tomlin needs to give Gary Russell some carries on first and second down to and let him carry the ball at least 10 times a game to help Moore out.....We're both in agreement that Memo isn't the type of RB to carry our running game.....

BlitzburghRockCity
11-23-2008, 08:42 PM
If Tomlin is all about letting the best players be on the field and make plays, being committed to the running game, etc. then I agree it wouldn't be a bad idea to let Russel have some more carriers. Obviously you don't really want to rotate backs every series or none of them will be able to get into the flow and you end up shooting yourselves in the foot. The Giants though with that 3 headed monster in the backfield do it quite well, they use their guys in key situations with Jacobs being the general workhorse. We have that same type of situation here our only problem is we can't keep 1/3 of the monster healthy enough to really see what our running game is capable of.

God knows Arians is so damn predictable with running on 1st down that we should be at the top of the league in rushing but this year we're 24th in the league in rushing, that stat is not what you want to see when a team is heading towards the postseason.

steelmaniac
11-23-2008, 08:50 PM
i feel the same way i think moore is by far a better rb than parker...he will turn alot of heads

Steelersfan
11-23-2008, 10:49 PM
This is pointed towards TG and 32...........

You keep saying Moore can't carry the load. Where has he shown he can't? I could care less what he did with the Vikings. The situation there could have been very different than what he is getting here. I mean everyone jumped on the Parker bandwagon and he had proven even less than Moore coming into the league and on this team. Yet, everyone gave him the chance. Why is it so hard to give Moore the same chance?

I've said from the start that Parker would not be able to carry the load on the Steelers. He needed help and still does. Now that is not to say he is a bad RB or that I think they should get rid of him. I've always said and still believe that Parker is far more dangerous coming in late in games when the D is tired and he is fresh. He hasn't broken one in a long time and, IMO only, it is because he is over worked and gets tired.

As far as Moore, I don't think it is luck that every time the Steelers can't move the ball and he comes in they start moving. It's not because Parker is bad, it's because Moore can loosen the D up with his catching ability. It makes the D have to defend him on 2 fronts. If they stack the line to stop the run he can just catch a short pass and move the chains.

I think there is a reason they don't use Parker like that. Why? I'm not sure. I am pretty sure though they would have by now if he was any good at it.

IMO and MO only, the Steelers would be better if Moore started and got about 15-20 carries and 5-10 passes a game while Russell fills the short yardage roll. Then late in the third or early fourth you bring Parker in. He is fresh, the D should be tired and Parker should be lights out!

Again, just my :2cents:.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-23-2008, 11:11 PM
As far as Moore, I don't think it is luck that every time the Steelers can't move the ball and he comes in they start moving. It's not because Parker is bad, it's because Moore can loosen the D up with his catching ability. It makes the D have to defend him on 2 fronts. If they stack the line to stop the run he can just catch a short pass and move the chains.

We agree atleast alittle bit, lol..Moore does come in and offer a good change of pace and the defenses have to account for him. by the same token though though he's not quite busting up the stats anymore than Parker has been this year.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=5644

109/432 5 TD's. he's had 1 100 yd game and 1 99 yd game. the rest are average if best stats.

126/485 4 TD's. Parker has played in 6 games this year and has 3 100+ yd games.

As you can see the stats are not that far off from each other. they are both productive running backs who compliment each other well and are both better together than apart.

now yes Moore does have more receiving yards because that's how they choose to use him and he's excellent at it. Arians or Cowher never used parker much as a receiver so who's to say he's not pretty decent, maybe not as good as Moore but still at the very least adequate. All we're saying is that Moore is a good complimentary back and if Tomlin preaching of running the ball, then in that category mainly Parker is just as good if not better than Moore.

Black@Gold Forever32
11-23-2008, 11:58 PM
This is pointed towards TG and 32...........

You keep saying Moore can't carry the load. Where has he shown he can't? I could care less what he did with the Vikings. The situation there could have been very different than what he is getting here. I mean everyone jumped on the Parker bandwagon and he had proven even less than Moore coming into the league and on this team. Yet, everyone gave him the chance. Why is it so hard to give Moore the same chance?

I've said from the start that Parker would not be able to carry the load on the Steelers. He needed help and still does. Now that is not to say he is a bad RB or that I think they should get rid of him. I've always said and still believe that Parker is far more dangerous coming in late in games when the D is tired and he is fresh. He hasn't broken one in a long time and, IMO only, it is because he is over worked and gets tired.

I think there is a reason they don't use Parker like that. Why? I'm not sure. I am pretty sure though they would have by now if he was any good at it.

IMO and MO only, the Steelers would be better if Moore started and got about 15-20 carries and 5-10 passes a game while Russell fills the short yardage roll. Then late in the third or early fourth you bring Parker in. He is fresh, the D should be tired and Parker should be lights out!

Again, just my :2cents:.

When have I said not to give Moore a chance?....I also have stated many times that I liked the Moore signing and he also saved the Steelers *** on offense this season....I also have stated that Moore is a more complete RB then Willie Parker.....But if you think that Memo is a franchise RB that can carry a running game then I will have to question your intelligence when it comes to football......

This isn't a knock on Moore since I think he is a solid RB.....I'm also in opinion that the Steelers right now don't have one guy that carry the entire load at RB....I think using a rotation is the best bet for this team......

Moore had success running out of passing formations against the Jags, first Bengals game, Giants.....

The last few weeks he hasn't been that impressive since defenses have starting adjusting to him and plus he has been carrying the load at RB......Look at the Colts game and this past game against the Bengals.....Moore had 24 carries for 57 yards against the Colts and 15 carries for 56 yards against the Bengals....The Colts and Bengals are far from superior defenses......

I know Willie had his share of games like that to....I also don't think Willie Parker can be counted on anymore and I do believe his body is wearing down...He is getting injured on a frequent basis this season.....At this point I have no use for Willie Parker....I only care about the players that are healthy and can help this team.....

One point to add here when you don't factor in Moore's stats in the passing game.....Both Parker and Moore have almost identical stats.....Moore is averaging 4 yards a carry and Parker 3.8.....Parker has 126 carries for 485 yards with 4 rushing TDs....Moore has 109 carries for 432 yards with 5 rushing TDs......Which tells that both are not RBs fit better into a rotation then one of them being asked to be the entire running game......Moore does help the entire offense with his multi skills.....I think Moore should be the starter at this point but not a RB that carry the ball 20-25 times week in and week out.....I think letting Gary Russell have some carries would be a smart idea.....As for Willie like I said with his injury woes right now he is useless to the team.....

AZ_Steeler
11-24-2008, 12:49 AM
:deadhorse:

When it comes down to it we don't make the calls! :D

K Train
11-24-2008, 01:43 AM
parker needs to go on IR and let his body heal and try again next year...not to mention free up a roster spot. were really gonna miss mendenhalls talents down the stretch, i know that weird to say since we havent really seen them that much, but they were there and hes the kind of guy that helps you win in these situations

DanRooney
11-24-2008, 02:00 AM
The real question is what are we going to do with Mendenhall? We already have our starting back, 3rd down back that is evidently capable of starting, and emerging goal-line back (Russell).

K Train
11-24-2008, 02:12 AM
The real question is what are we going to do with Mendenhall? We already have our starting back, 3rd down back that is evidently capable of starting, and emerging goal-line back (Russell).

mendenhall is more talented than all of them, everyone screams bust after a non spectacular rookie year in which we not only held him out of playing like we do all rookies but he got hurt...next year everyone will be all over his nuts.

parker will continue to get hurt in between playing moderately well, moore will continue do fill his role and do what he does when we need him and russell will continue to be on the bubble every year

Steelersfan
11-24-2008, 07:39 AM
109/432 5 TD's. he's had 1 100 yd game and 1 99 yd game. the rest are average if best stats.

126/485 4 TD's. Parker has played in 6 games this year and has 3 100+ yd games.

As you can see the stats are not that far off from each other. they are both productive running backs who compliment each other well and are both better together than apart.

Exactly, so why not use the one who gives you more options? You lose nothing from the running game between the two but Moore gives you the pass catching ability.

When have I said not to give Moore a chance?....I also have stated many times that I liked the Moore signing and he also saved the Steelers *** on offense this season....I also have stated that Moore is a more complete RB then Willie Parker.....But if you think that Memo is a franchise RB that can carry a running game then I will have to question your intelligence when it comes to football......

This isn't a knock on Moore since I think he is a solid RB.....I'm also in opinion that the Steelers right now don't have one guy that carry the entire load at RB....I think using a rotation is the best bet for this team......

Moore had success running out of passing formations against the Jags, first Bengals game, Giants.....

The last few weeks he hasn't been that impressive since defenses have starting adjusting to him and plus he has been carrying the load at RB......Look at the Colts game and this past game against the Bengals.....Moore had 24 carries for 57 yards against the Colts and 15 carries for 56 yards against the Bengals....The Colts and Bengals are far from superior defenses......

I know Willie had his share of games like that to....I also don't think Willie Parker can be counted on anymore and I do believe his body is wearing down...He is getting injured on a frequent basis this season.....At this point I have no use for Willie Parker....I only care about the players that are healthy and can help this team.....

One point to add here when you don't factor in Moore's stats in the passing game.....Both Parker and Moore have almost identical stats.....Moore is averaging 4 yards a carry and Parker 3.8.....Parker has 126 carries for 485 yards with 4 rushing TDs....Moore has 109 carries for 432 yards with 5 rushing TDs......Which tells that both are not RBs fit better into a rotation then one of them being asked to be the entire running game......Moore does help the entire offense with his multi skills.....I think Moore should be the starter at this point but not a RB that carry the ball 20-25 times week in and week out.....I think letting Gary Russell have some carries would be a smart idea.....As for Willie like I said with his injury woes right now he is useless to the team.....

The "not giving Moore a chance" wasn't so much directed at you and I should of worded it better. But if you want to question my intelligence I'll meet you on the poker table at Poker Stars!.........:lol:

I think you are both missing my point. I don't think either one is a franchise RB. I'm talking about using what the Steelers have now. The parts I bolded out it your post says it all to me.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-24-2008, 10:08 AM
Both players help the offense, it's clear that neither one is head and shoulders above the other so if it comes right down to one or the other and since we've had troubles running the ball then why not put in Parker and let him get the ground game going. When you want a guy who can give you another threat then put in Moore. The problem is that these guys have barely been on the field together this year which has hampered this offense along with all the other injuries and issues. You get both of these guys continuously healthy and you'll see our offense click more often and the running game become a key factor once again. If we continue to have them split up and relying on just one or the other then we're not playing to either of the strengths of them and we'll continue to be inconsistent.

Black@Gold Forever32
11-24-2008, 03:01 PM
mendenhall is more talented than all of them, everyone screams bust after a non spectacular rookie year in which we not only held him out of playing like we do all rookies but he got hurt...next year everyone will be all over his nuts.

parker will continue to get hurt in between playing moderately well, moore will continue do fill his role and do what he does when we need him and russell will continue to be on the bubble every year

Who has been labeling Mendenhall a bust?.....I don't think I have read one such thread on this site.....Of course Rashard Mendenhall has talent...He wouldn't have been a first round pick being an untalented bum......But he is a bit of an unknown right now.....Its going to be interesting to watch him next year...I hope he has the attitude to come back better then ever....I'm not saying he will or not....I just don't know what to think of him at this point....Since we didn't see much of him at all this year.....If Mendenhall is as good as you and I think he is then the Steelers running game will be in good hands for the next few years.....By far he is the most talented RB on the Steelers roster......

--- Added 11/24/2008 at 02:01 PM ---

Exactly, so why not use the one who gives you more options? You lose nothing from the running game between the two but Moore gives you the pass catching ability.

The "not giving Moore a chance" wasn't so much directed at you and I should of worded it better. But if you want to question my intelligence I'll meet you on the poker table at Poker Stars!.........:lol:

I think you are both missing my point. I don't think either one is a franchise RB. I'm talking about using what the Steelers have now. The parts I bolded out it your post says it all to me.

SF I'm not questioning your intelligence....I questioned your football intelligence if you think Moore is a franchise RB....Which I didn't think you did......

I have stated that Moore is an all around RB and should be the starter for the rest of the season.....I think that is what you're looking for......I just don't think Moore can carry our running game the rest of the way without some help from Russell or Parker if Willie can remain healthy (which at this point is a big if).........

Steelersfan
11-24-2008, 03:37 PM
SF I'm not questioning your intelligence....I questioned your football intelligence if you think Moore is a franchise RB....Which I didn't think you did......

I have stated that Moore is an all around RB and should be the starter for the rest of the season.....I think that is what you're looking for......I just don't think Moore can carry our running game the rest of the way without some help from Russell or Parker if Willie can remain healthy (which at this point is a big if).........

You're not ignoring that poker challenge are you?.......:nahnah:

I think Moore can do fine in the running game the rest of the year. But I also agree that they need to use the other backs more and that was part of what I was saying in regards to Parker. Keep him fresh and bring him in when the D is tired of chasing Moore around the field......lol

Black@Gold Forever32
11-24-2008, 03:50 PM
You're not ignoring that poker challenge are you?.......:nahnah:

I think Moore can do fine in the running game the rest of the year. But I also agree that they need to use the other backs more and that was part of what I was saying in regards to Parker. Keep him fresh and bring him in when the D is tired of chasing Moore around the field......lol

No I'm not ignoring the poker challenge...I have had some recent bad beats on Pokerstars and I'm boycotting the site at the moment....I'm so freaking mad at that site right now.....Enough with my ranting on pokerstars....lol

About Moore and I agree with you....I just don't think letting him carry the ball 20+ times a game is the best idea......He isn't that type of back....Letting him carry the ball 10-15 times and letting him be a factor in the passing game serves him best....I hope Gary Russell can step up.....I'm not counting on Parker at all the rest of the season....lol

Steelersfan
11-24-2008, 03:58 PM
No I'm not ignoring the poker challenge...I have had some recent bad beats on Pokerstars and I'm boycotting the site at the moment....I'm so freaking mad at that site right now.....Enough with my ranting on pokerstars....lol

About Moore and I agree with you....I just don't think letting him carry the ball 20+ times a game is the best idea......He isn't that type of back....Letting him carry the ball 10-15 times and letting him be a factor in the passing game serves him best....I hope Gary Russell can step up.....I'm not counting on Parker at all the rest of the season....lol

Been there with Poker Stars......lol Damn site is streaky!

We are close on Moore. I said 15-20 per game but most of that would just depend on how the game is playing out. I like Russell so far as the short yardage back so hopefully he keeps it up.
I'd like to see the Steelers use the pass to open up the running game or in place of running the ball like the Patriots use alot. Moore fits that roll nicely.
Imagine Parker, Holmes, Washington and Ward lined up as WR's with Moore in the backfield! I know Parker isn't a WR but the D would have to account for his speed out there, as well as Holmes and Washingtons speed and Moore coming out of the backfield.

Richmond Rukus
11-24-2008, 04:01 PM
Whichever of these 2 is starting, Russell needs to be in all short yardage packages. I'm happier with the product of having a short yardage back than I am worried about who is starting. Neither Parker nor Moore run with the power it takes to gain those tough yards, although Parker probably hits the hole a little harder. Moore seems to easy to stop in the backfield, but is the more versatile of the 2.

I would love to have both Parker and Moore healthy, as I feel we are better when we have both of them suited up, but Parker is not showing he can stay healthy.