PDA

View Full Version : Much needed break but how will we respond on the field?

BlitzburghRockCity
11-22-2008, 11:33 AM
Tomlin is giving the team a few days off to rest and chill out, heal up, and just get away from football for a few days before this stretch run begins. We definitely need the extra time to get healthy and hopefully we'll have everybody back and ready to go next week with the exception of maybe Marvel Smith.

This team can't afford to come out of the gate sluggish and disfunctional like they usually go after a bye week though since we're playing the Pats. I know it's not technically a real by week but you figure they have 3 extra days to rest which at this point of the year could be huge.

Black@Gold Forever32
11-22-2008, 12:58 PM
Another point to add here is after 11 games last year the Steelers were also 8-3......We all know they ended up 10-6......So that is why I'm not all thrilled with this 8-3 record so far this year.....Factor in this team should also be 10-1 then it kind of ticks me off.....So I'm interested if Tomlin and his team can avoid another late season dive like they did last year......Especially since the Steelers still have three tough road games and that home game vs the Cowboys won't be a walk in the park....

But Townsend and McFadden should be returning soon from their injuries so its going to be great to have two of our top three corners back in action.......Hopefully Keisel's injury isn't to serious....He has been having a very good season...

I want this team to finish strong.....One reason they still have a great shot at a bye come play-off time which will help this team with all their health woes this year....I don't think the Steelers have any shot to catch the Titans for the number 1 seed but if they can win 12 games then I think that should lock up the 2nd seed in the AFC.....The Steelers will have to finish 4-1 in their last five games.....They can do it but they must player better then they have against the Chargers and Bengals......

Steelers70
11-22-2008, 01:27 PM
I think they'll be fine. They get a long weekend is all. They're back to work on Tuesday and will be recharged come Sunday. During a regular bye they're out much longer and come back rusty. I think this is the way to do it.

-Steelers70

Stairwayto7
11-22-2008, 01:33 PM
Rest sounds good!

BlitzburghRockCity
11-22-2008, 04:16 PM
That's what Im thinking too 32, this team was in virtually the same position last year and then everything went south and we just tanked the rest of the year barely squeaking into the first round and then getting bounced. You can't limp into the playoffs on a bad note and all beat up or you might as well not even show up. It's proven, by us and the Giants and others, that a team that gets hot in December can go deep into the playoffs so this team cannot afford to cool off one bit. It's got to be no holds barred, full steam ahead, and let's see what happens.

HUNT4SEVEN
11-22-2008, 07:14 PM
My only concern is the O-Line an the Play Calling an Big Bens health:cursin: if we can get these pieces fix we have an great chance at possibly winning the SuperBowl, we have to finish strong in these next five games 4-1 is possible, because our Defense has carried us all year, an when we get Mc Fadden back an Townsend, where only going to get better:yellowthumb::tt02::clap: GO STEELERS:helmet:

Moondog
11-23-2008, 06:37 AM
They are a weird 8-3 team, because for having a good record they don't inspire much confidence in me. Week after week, I keep waiting for the Steelers to play a complete game and really start clobbering some teams and with each week that fails to materialize. Two of their three losses were self-imposed with the Eagle game being the exception because they were manhandled in that one, IMO.
With that being said, I think the Steelers can go 3-2 in the last five games and wind up 11-5, but, on the other hand, I wouldn't be surprised if they went something like 1-4. It all hinges on Big Ben and the offense.... they have moved in the right direction the past two games and I hope the longer break won't interupt their groove they are starting to develop. If the O can get on a roll like the D and ST we might see one of those tough teams on the Steeler's remaining schedule take a surprising blowout beating and that's what this team needs to do to take it to a higher level: get a convincing, complete win against a quality opponent. My confidence would be restored.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-23-2008, 01:24 PM
This is the most precarious 8-3 team I've seen in a while. The record makes you think they are generally playing well and things are good. On the defense and ST that would indeed be the case but the offense is so out of it's element and can't decide what it wants to do that it makes me nervous when they take the field because you just don't know what they are going to try next. That can be a good thing but for us it's not because no matter what Arians does, this offense doesn't have a consistent way to make things happen. It's so disorganized it's like chaos out there.

Black@Gold Forever32
11-23-2008, 01:58 PM
They are a weird 8-3 team, because for having a good record they don't inspire much confidence in me. Week after week, I keep waiting for the Steelers to play a complete game and really start clobbering some teams and with each week that fails to materialize. Two of their three losses were self-imposed with the Eagle game being the exception because they were manhandled in that one, IMO.
With that being said, I think the Steelers can go 3-2 in the last five games and wind up 11-5, but, on the other hand, I wouldn't be surprised if they went something like 1-4. It all hinges on Big Ben and the offense.... they have moved in the right direction the past two games and I hope the longer break won't interupt their groove they are starting to develop. If the O can get on a roll like the D and ST we might see one of those tough teams on the Steeler's remaining schedule take a surprising blowout beating and that's what this team needs to do to take it to a higher level: get a convincing, complete win against a quality opponent. My confidence would be restored.

Very nice post and I agree 100 percent.....Very few around here really want to come clean about the Tomlin led Steelers.......Most are happy with 8-3......But like you have pointed it out its a flawed 8-3.......This team has all the potential and talent to win it all.....Really its on the offense and Mike Tomlin......

--- Added 11/23/2008 at 11:58 AM ---

This is the most precarious 8-3 team I've seen in a while. The record makes you think they are generally playing well and things are good. On the defense and ST that would indeed be the case but the offense is so out of it's element and can't decide what it wants to do that it makes me nervous when they take the field because you just don't know what they are going to try next. That can be a good thing but for us it's not because no matter what Arians does, this offense doesn't have a consistent way to make things happen. It's so disorganized it's like chaos out there.

Really its been a precarious first two years under Coach Tomlin.......I just hope this 8-3 start ends up like last years 8-3 start.......I have to give Tomlin some credit since really with all the injuries this year this team is still 8-3....He has held this group together.....But overall I don't know if he is really the HC to get this team back to the Super Bowl.......

BlitzburghRockCity
11-24-2008, 04:55 PM
Im not convinced he can't get this team to the superbowl just yet, however it's obvious that Lebeau is in charge of the and rightfully so. He's got this unit playing as good as any defense since the 70's.

Offense though, we just don't know how much Tomlin puts an influence on it. Is the play calling a combination of T and Arians or is it mostly arians making it up and Tomlin just says, "ok let's do that". One thing is for sure the offensive stats don't lie and if Tomlin doesn't make a change in OC's after this year we are going to continue to struggle. This is where an HC makes his money and shows what he's got. he's got to get the Tackle situation fixed, and he's got figure out something for this offense to find itself with.

Steelersfan
11-24-2008, 05:09 PM
Last year the D wasn't playing anywhere near the level they are this year so I don't see a replay of last year. This team should get to 11-5. Would like to say 12-4 but the remaining games are all going to be tough and to go 3-2 wouldn't be real bad. I just want to see them get on a roll playing good football going into the playoffs where anything can and will happen. I would just feel a lot better going in if they are playing well unlike last year.

Dean Denton
11-24-2008, 08:02 PM
I think they'll be fine. They get a long weekend is all. They're back to work on Tuesday and will be recharged come Sunday. During a regular bye they're out much longer and come back rusty. I think this is the way to do it.

-Steelers70 So maybe it would be better if we didn't get the 2nd seed. Maybe it it would be better if we didn't get the bye week so we dont come out sluggish at all. The last 3 SB champs didn't get a bye week. Maybe thats the trick. Unless your the Pats. they seem to do ok with the Bye....

JensK
11-25-2008, 02:59 AM
So maybe it would be better if we didn't get the 2nd seed. Maybe it it would be better if we didn't get the bye week so we dont come out sluggish at all. The last 3 SB champs didn't get a bye week. Maybe thats the trick. Unless your the Pats. they seem to do ok with the Bye....

I think we'll need that week off. We need to practise everyday, but lightwieght! After this stretch you can bet that we'll be banged up, and with out previous luck with injuries you can bet that we'll have a few guys out that'll need that week to get back in shape!