PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Need Turf! - **Update 11/22, Heinz Field being resodded**

dsj3
11-21-2008, 10:18 AM
Here we are again in late November and as usual our field is starting to completely fall apart. Our field is an embarrassment. I'm tired of watching Baltimore and Buffalo (among others) with state of the art turf fields and our looks like a cow pasture. What's the field going to look like after the four WPIAL Championships, Cowboys and Brownies game? Tell me how did we go from the NFL's second worst field at Three Rivers Stadium to a new state of the art stadium and now have the NFL's WORST playing surface? What's wrong with that picture? No more talk about injuries cause we have been so busted up with injuries over the last few seasons I can't believe that can be an issue any more. Not to mention the horrible footing. Is anybody paying attention how often the Steelers loose their footing on this pathetic field? Let's win the division, get a bye week, and get turf installed hopefully before we host our first playoff game.

AZ_Steeler
11-21-2008, 10:38 AM
:smh:

Turf is for the white collar towns that are afraid to get dirty!

BlitzburghRockCity
11-21-2008, 10:42 AM
Until the Rooney's wake up and realize we are hurting ourselves by having this worthless, expensive, grass master **** at Heinz, nothing will change. We're a team built for speed now and all we do every week at home is slip and side all over the place because the field sucks. It's not going to get any better yet we continue to waste money on a field that continually is the worst in the NFL just for the sake of natural grass??? Gimme a break, that whole "history, real football, get dirty, playing in the mud" and all that crap is out of date and overrated. It's time to stop hampering our team just because of stubborness, wake up to the rest of the NFL and see what they see. There's no significant increase in injuries and what not just because you're on field turf, we have more than our share this year and last on grass and it's going to continue to be that way. Wake up and get us field turf!!!!!!!!!!

yinzer
11-21-2008, 10:44 AM

:plus1::plus1: it's always better when silverback slams someone on their face in the mud of heinz field!!

HUNT4SEVEN
11-21-2008, 11:23 AM
Well the Rooneys claim the players wanted grass:thinking:, i wish they would put the new turf in also, we have an team that has good speed on all three sides of the ball:yellowthumb:, turf makes us that more dangerous:tt02:an with all the other action going on besides us won't it cost the Ronneys less:thinking:? this replacing all this grass year in an year out has to be expensive right?:thinking::2cents:

Stairwayto7
11-21-2008, 11:37 AM
I hate the thought of turf, but our field is terrible

BlitzburghRockCity
11-21-2008, 12:06 PM
There is something to be said for natural grass, I get that, it works if you are in a climate that is conducive to having natural grass and if you don't have college and high school teams playing on the same field giving it way more use than it should be getting. Bottom line is that is a stubborn way of thinking to keep paying to resod the field 2 or 3 times a year every year, shooting our self in the foot with poor conditions, etc. when you can put in field turf and you're all set with a great looking and performing field.

Stlrs4Life
11-21-2008, 12:45 PM
Ask our defense on what they'd rather have. Answer will not be turf.

From the PG tidbits:

On the surface ...
Heinz Field will have a new surface starting Sunday.

After the four WPIAL championship games are played there Saturday, crews will start installing grass sod on top of the DD GrassMaster surface that is mostly grass.

It's the second consecutive year they will resod the field on top of the current playing surface. Last year, it turned into a muddy mess when a torrential rain turned the new sod into muck for the Nov. 26 game between the Steelers and Miami Dolphins.

It was so bad that one punt stuck like a lawn dart, point down.

Jeff Reed kicked a 24-yard field goal with 17 seconds left for a 3-0 victory and the Steelers avoiding becoming the winless Dolphins' first victim of the season.

The new sod will get its first test a week from today when Pitt plays West Virginia at Heinz Field. The Steelers do not play at home again until Dec. 7 against the Dallas Cowboys..

Dean Denton
11-21-2008, 01:20 PM
They went over this last year, and every player on the team except Willie Parker wanted to keep the grass. Both Off and Def lineman all said the same thing. " We like the grass, the sloppier the better, it makes our job easier. DB, same thing. It slows down the WR, and lets them make adjustments better. Am I the only one who gets Steeler Digest? We will not be getting rid of the grass. Yes the game against the Dolphins was bad, but that was a one time deal, and it was funny.

The players will all tell you that they would rather get drilled into the grass, then field turf. Its still way more forgiving......and better for your knees and ankles.

SteelerNC
11-21-2008, 01:50 PM
I hate turf as well, but I think eventually we will have to get rid of the grass. It is just not working.

Dean Denton
11-21-2008, 02:23 PM
I hate turf as well, but I think eventually we will have to get rid of the grass. It is just not working. Not while the Rooneys own the team. They willstay with grass forever. Like I ask, Am I the only one that gets Steeler Digest?

BlitzburghRockCity
11-21-2008, 03:44 PM
Nope I get it every week too and it drives me nuts to hear Dan, as much as I love the guy as our owner keep talking about how great grass is and how bad field turf is :blah:

Dean Denton
11-21-2008, 03:47 PM
Nope I get it every week too and it drives me nuts to hear Dan, as much as I love the guy as our owner keep talking about how great grass is and how bad field turf is :blah: I live in Seattle, and it takes for ever for me to get each issue unless I pay for express shipping. Do you get yours on time? When I say on time, I mean before the next game starts.

ejsteeler
11-21-2008, 03:48 PM
I'm a grass man. I'm stuck in the nostalgic past of how football should be played. :greengrin:

Dean Denton
11-21-2008, 03:49 PM
I'm a grass man. I'm stuck in the nostalgic past of how football should be played. :greengrin:
I agree. They need to out-law domes too. you should have to play in the weather. Except for superbowls. I think those should be played in nicer weather. Rain is fine, but snow I would not care for.

ejsteeler
11-21-2008, 03:55 PM
It's all good. Football was designed to be played in the elements. That's how every game should be played, even the SB! :yesnod:
Weather is the great equalizer.

Dean Denton
11-21-2008, 04:06 PM
Well, if its the normal Steelers team that I have grown up watching then a SB in the Snow would not bother me. however, this new Steeler team I dont think would do as well......

Gettysburgh_Steel
11-21-2008, 05:29 PM
I believe that the "real game" should be played on real ground also. That is a true measurement of tallent. I would rather the elements,and field conditions determine the outcome of a game,than the men in black and white stripes.

LatrobePA
11-21-2008, 05:33 PM

HELL YEA, WHAT THIS GUY SAID!!:cope::tt02::cope:

Dean Denton
11-21-2008, 05:39 PM
I believe that the "real game" should be played on real ground also. That is a true measurement of tallent. I would rather the elements,and field conditions determine the outcome of a game,than the men in black and white stripes.

Again I agree with you. It is not that hard to care for natural grass when you compair the cost of that field turf. however I do not like fields that have base ball diamonds in them. Colts-Bears superbowl was one of my fav because of the weather playing such a huge factor in the first half. Like you said elements not the refs....God I love my Steeler family. I swear everyone else in the world is stupid except us....lol

Koopa
11-21-2008, 05:45 PM
i hate old ppl lol..........if you need ****** grass to help you win, which we do, then you ain't a good football team, which is us again............ **** grass, **** elements, i'd rather play in a dome, and not have an advantage, and let the best team win by making plays

Gettysburgh_Steel
11-21-2008, 06:10 PM
Again I agree with you. It is not that hard to care for natural grass when you compair the cost of that field turf. however I do not like fields that have base ball diamonds in them. Colts-Bears superbowl was one of my fav because of the weather playing such a huge factor in the first half. Like you said elements not the refs....God I love my Steeler family. I swear everyone else in the world is stupid except us....lol

Now your talkin boy,i love all of my steel brothers and sisters too!!!!!The game was born playing in the real dirt, It has already changed so much ,because each team chooses thier homefields wisely. As far as injuries go, they can occurr on any type of playing surface, but i would care to wager that injuries are more prevalent on turf ,than the real ground. That goes double for artificial turf!!!!

Dean Denton
11-21-2008, 06:27 PM
i hate old ppl lol..........if you need shiatty grass to help you win, which we do, then you ain't a good football team, which is us again............ **** grass, **** elements, i'd rather play in a dome, and not have an advantage, and let the best team win by making plays
Did you say that you would rather play in a dome? Dude, that aint football, thats arena football. There were no domes when this game got started. Domes are for soft sissy teams like the Colts, Rams, and Falcons.

Gettysburgh_Steel
11-21-2008, 07:13 PM
Did you say that you would rather play in a dome? Dude, that aint football, thats arena football. There were no domes when this game got started. Domes are for soft sissy teams like the Colts, Rams, and Falcons.

They should have a universal rule in the nfl that all games must be played on an uncovered,natural surface. I am all for covering the field with a tarp before the game starts,not with a roof, but once it is underway ,we should play the game like the ones that started it.The way it was meant to be played. I would not mind watching a Super Bowl in Jan. or Feb. in a cold weather situation. Best record of the team to make the big dance to determine where the game would be played.
That would be fair.:tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02:

Dean Denton
11-21-2008, 07:25 PM
They should have a universal rule in the nfl that all games must be played on an uncovered,natural surface. I am all for covering the field with a tarp before the game starts,not with a roof, but once it is underway ,we should play the game like the ones that started it.The way it was meant to be played. I would not mind watching a Super Bowl in Jan. or Feb. in a cold weather situation. Best record of the team to make the big dance to determine where the game would be played.
That would be fair.:tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02: Or they could do like basball, except the winner of the pro bowl the year before decides who gets to be the home team for the superbowl. Then at least the pro bowl would mean something.

Steel Trap86
11-21-2008, 08:34 PM

and vikings lol

:cope:

Steelerlyn
11-21-2008, 11:26 PM
http://pittsburgh.about.com/b/2007/11/29/field-turf-or-natural-grass-at-heinz-field.htm

Dee Mca
11-22-2008, 12:20 AM
Im for keeping grass if we can keep it alive. As far as turf if PITT and the local schools going to help foot the bill for turf and the players want it lets do it then, but then again is PITT and the local schools helping qwith the cost of the new grass twice and 3 times per year?

Steelersfan
11-22-2008, 01:15 AM
Turf if for guys like Koopa that want the field to look all pretty on their TV........lol

BlitzburghRockCity
11-22-2008, 01:51 AM
http://pittsburgh.about.com/b/2007/11/29/field-turf-or-natural-grass-at-heinz-field.htm

That game was such a disgrace, I mean that will go down as the sloppiest, ugliest game in NFL history if you ask me. sure it made for great pics, lots of memories including the famous punt stuck in the field play, and all that but watching 2 teams beat their heads against a wall trying to play an NFL game with playoff implications in that slop was horrific. My kingdom for field turf....that is if I had a kingdom :lol:

BlitzburghRockCity
11-22-2008, 02:00 AM
Speaking of resodding the field for the millionth time..

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08327/929934-66.stm

Steelers Notebook: Tuckahoe Farms to resod Heinz Field

Saturday, November 22, 2008
By Bob Dvorchak, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Grass doesn't grow on a busy street, and it doesn't grow in late November either. But a new layer of sod is ready to be applied to Heinz Field after the four WPIAL championship games today.
Crews and truckloads of sod have made their way from Tuckahoe Turf Farms, a family-owned business in Hammonton, N.J. Re-sodding with the Kentucky bluegrass hybrid should begin Sunday and will be completed in plenty of time for its first test -- the West Virginia-Pitt game the day after Thanksgiving. The Steelers won't need it until their Dec. 7 game against the Cowboys.
Tuckahoe Farms replaced the turf last year, but the paint wasn't dry before torrential rains began. By the time a Monday night game commenced after a lightning delay, the new sod was saturated to the point that a Miami punt burrowed into the spongy mess like a wayward nose cone.
It was the worst possible scenario, but the weather is supposed to be better this time around.
Heinz Field gets more wear and tear than any other NFL Stadium. The Pitt Panthers play their home games there, and the WPIAL championship games are an annual event.
"We're so appreciative of the Steelers," said Tim O'Malley, executive director of the WPIAL. "If we couldn't play at Heinz Field, it would have a very negative event on our football championships. We thank them for their consideration in providing the opportunity for us to play."

Steelerlyn
11-22-2008, 04:30 AM
I know a guy who is one of the "events staff" people and he told me they "spot sod after almost every game. I have no idea if this is true it is just a rumor I heard and we all know how much stock can be put into rumors.

JensK
11-22-2008, 06:52 AM
Problem is, that new grass needs so much time before its "useable". We saw it last year. They kept putting new grass on the field, and it kept getting destroyed :/

Captcoolhand
11-22-2008, 07:05 AM
http://img165.imageshack.us/img165/1759/nflgward600se8.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
Oh Brother! here we go again..... :duh:

"We're so appreciative of the Steelers," said Tim O'Malley, executive director of the WPIAL. "If we couldn't play at Heinz Field, it would have a very negative event on our football championships. We thank them for their consideration in providing the opportunity for us to play." Good so why don't they be like other college's and help pay for new turf....

"And when your done, go get the boys and all you guys get back down there and make it look the way ya found it." :club:

SteelerNC
11-22-2008, 08:28 AM
FIELD TURF!!!!!!

Stairwayto7
11-22-2008, 08:58 AM
Damn! The only good thing about new sod, is that somebody is working and somebody is making money, especially in these tough times!

Anyway, the resodding has done no good in the past. And mark my words we will resod again this year. If we are fortunate enough to get to host a home playoff game, the Steelers will more than likely end up with new sod for that game or games also!

Axeman
11-22-2008, 09:25 AM
playing on grass sucks, I bet if they would put in turf the injuries would get cut in half if not more, plus they have the Panthers playin there which doesn't help at all and if I'm correct they play some high school games there also. the Rooneys need to stop being so frickin cheap and put in the turf.

Stairwayto7
11-22-2008, 09:30 AM
Wouldnt our defense be even better on a faster turf? Our defense played well Thursday, but only got the one sack. Cinci gave up 15 sacks in the two prior games combined?

BR7
11-22-2008, 11:19 AM
Field turf is the way to go. Then they can friggin paint the endzones yellow again like Three Rivers had with the word art. I hate those cheapo Notre Dame diagonal stripes.

steelermoose1030
11-22-2008, 12:03 PM
Im with ya BR7....I hate the way our field looks and plays. there is no HOME FIELD ADVANTAGE with the stupid grass at Heinz field. Besides which, our players flip and flop around as bad if not worse than the opponents so why not get Field turf. Better footing and superb quality on the newest Turf choices. Plus the endzones can be switched in and out for pitt and the steelers so that it actually looks like the field belongs to the home team. From the get go, it was stupid to include Pitt in the Heinz Field plans but it is what it is.:cope:

BlitzburghRockCity
11-22-2008, 12:06 PM
Field turf is the way to go. Then they can friggin paint the endzones yellow again like Three Rivers had with the word art. I hate those cheapo Notre Dame diagonal stripes.

right on, our field is so boring we can't even paint nice graphics on it because it gets too much use and because the natural grass doesn't handle all that paint so well. those boring stripes and the washed up, faded, chewed up logo in the middle of the field is terrible looking.

Wouldnt our defense be even better on a faster turf? Our defense played well Thursday, but only got the one sack. Cinci gave up 15 sacks in the two prior games combined?

that's exactly the main point, this isn't your old 3 yds and a cloud of dust Steelers that love mud it out for 200 yds every game, this team has been built on speed, agility, and we shoot ourselves in the foot every time we play on it. These announcers say we have an advantage because we play on the field all the time? bull, they don't use heinz to practice on, they use field turf at UPMC. we're no better on our own field than anybody else.

Steelers70
11-22-2008, 12:14 PM
I'm a big fan of field turf, but most of the players wanted grass so Rooney listened. I too wish we'd go field turf. /sigh

-Steelers70

Zachintosh66
11-22-2008, 02:56 PM

They paint pittsburgh in one end zone and stripes in the other b/c both steelers and panthers play there... so if they keep just pittsburgh they dont have to repaint all the time

cost savings and cutbacks :lol:

i agree tho, kinda lame and boring

SteelerNC
11-22-2008, 03:10 PM
2 words....field turf

Zachintosh66
11-22-2008, 05:09 PM
2 words....field turf

Its good enuff to practice on... (check these links)
http://www.wpxi.com/slideshow/station/14654018/detail.html
http://www.fieldturf.com/football/highProfile.cfm?highProfileID=40

I heard a comment saying it was advantage if the other team is worrying about the field and not the game. Its not, its an embarrassment!

C'mon Rooneys pull the trigger!

dsj3
11-22-2008, 05:13 PM
Pittsburgh is a turf town and has been so for many years! Steelers went to the Superbowl 5 times and won four of them on seasons they played all their homes games on turf! My local middle school as a nicer field than the Steelers! Mr. Rooney, it will only take you a few minutes to power vac up that diarrhea-like surface now at Heinz. Turf can be installed the week between the Brownies and playoffs. I'm inviting everyone in here to my house for a turf party when the Steelers finally announce that Heinz is finally putting in Turf! That's all I want for Christmas.

steelerfan11
11-22-2008, 10:52 PM
http://img165.imageshack.us/img165/1759/nflgward600se8.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
Oh Brother! here we go again..... :duh:

Good so why don't they be like other college's and help pay for new turf....

"And when your done, go get the boys and all you guys get back down there and make it look the way ya found it." :club:

Willie didn't snap his leg on natural grass...

and the WPIAL is high school football...

I like the stripped enzone. Thats just me though.

SteelCityMan786
11-23-2008, 12:46 AM
Problem is, that new grass needs so much time before its "useable". We saw it last year. They kept putting new grass on the field, and it kept getting destroyed :/

In fact you're right. I can remember watching the #1 Cochran sports showdown the Monday after they installed the new sod following the Pitt/South Florida game, John Steigerwald said he had sod installed and they guy told him "Don't step on it for a week."

playing on grass sucks, I bet if they would put in turf the injuries would get cut in half if not more, plus they have the Panthers playin there which doesn't help at all and if I'm correct they play some high school games there also. the Rooneys need to stop being so frickin cheap and put in the turf.

Playing on grass RULES! Getting the jersey's dirty is great to do. Also, injuries would be more likely to increase on Turf. I'll use for example, a couple of my High School Football team's key players got injured on a turf surface, and we nearly lost them for a couple of games.

No Guarantees. I have seen some defenses be just as fast if not faster on grass fields to.

I still am an opponent of Field Turf, but I'd much rather play on Field Turf instead of Astroturf.

Im with ya BR7....I hate the way our field looks and plays. there is no HOME FIELD ADVANTAGE with the stupid grass at Heinz field. Besides which, our players flip and flop around as bad if not worse than the opponents so why not get Field turf. Better footing and superb quality on the newest Turf choices. Plus the endzones can be switched in and out for pitt and the steelers so that it actually looks like the field belongs to the home team. From the get go, it was stupid to include Pitt in the Heinz Field plans but it is what it is.:cope:

Yes there is a homefield advantage. Let's just say for some reason we play some team that happens to be a very fast team and it's raining and there is some mud on the field, we can slow them down by having such a surfrace. Though you do make a good point. You can change the endzone looks and even midfield logos. I agree it was stupid. Pitt should have their own stadium on campus.

right on, our field is so boring we can't even paint nice graphics on it because it gets too much use and because the natural grass doesn't handle all that paint so well. those boring stripes and the washed up, faded, chewed up logo in the middle of the field is terrible looking.

that's exactly the main point, this isn't your old 3 yds and a cloud of dust Steelers that love mud it out for 200 yds every game, this team has been built on speed, agility, and we shoot ourselves in the foot every time we play on it. These announcers say we have an advantage because we play on the field all the time? bull, they don't use heinz to practice on, they use field turf at UPMC. we're no better on our own field than anybody else.

Only problem is that there is an NCAA rule where if teams share them with an NFL, they are not allowed to paint their endzones. They only use field turf on the indoor field. That outdoor stuff as far as I can tell is grass.

Since the Steelers have been playing at Heinz Field, the Steelers are 45-15-1 at home on a GRASS surface.

Pittsburgh is a turf town and has been so for many years! Steelers went to the Superbowl 5 times and won four of them on seasons they played all their homes games on turf! My local middle school as a nicer field than the Steelers! Mr. Rooney, it will only take you a few minutes to power vac up that diarrhea-like surface now at Heinz. Turf can be installed the week between the Brownies and playoffs. I'm inviting everyone in here to my house for a turf party when the Steelers finally announce that Heinz is finally putting in Turf! That's all I want for Christmas.

They played on Astroturf in each of those years and the 4 Super Bowl wins were in grass stadiums. Turf needs more time then one week in order to be installed properly. You run the risk of it being a huge safety hazard if you rush construction. It took my school's field 1 month to be installed properly and it's been pretty good to my school. But I still am a grass type of guy.

Bottom line, if you want the Rooney's to go to grass, you're best waiting until the Steelers are out of Rooney hands. Pretty good reason you can bet that it's going to be staying in the Rooney's hands even beyond the days following life at Heinz Field.

TampaSteelGirl
11-23-2008, 11:18 AM
Wouldn't be so bad keeping the grass if they'd keep other football teams from playing on there. College and high school teams shouldn't be playing there. Would be sweet to see turf like the St. Louis Rams have, it looks so nice on high def TV!!!! :yellowthumb:

dsj3
11-23-2008, 11:22 AM
The first Super Bowl the Steelers played in was at Tulane Stadium and that game was played on artificial turf! My point is that all those seasons the Steelers won Super Bowls, all their homes games were on some sort of artificial turf and that was the old hard, seam laden turfs of the 70's-90's. Injuries are going to happen regardless of the surface. Today's artificial turfs have been proven to cause fewer season ending injuries than natural grass. Obviously the Rooneys and some of the Steelers don't trust those results but they need to trust those studies, move on and stop wasting so much money that could be used so many other things. Not to mention that Pitt has wanted turf for a long time. Home field advantage some of you keep saying? The Steelers are slipping, sliding and loosing footing more than the visiting team! This is a NO BRAINER folks! Our field looks like a 4x4 truck rodeo park. This is supposed to be PROFESSIONAL football. Why do you think that turf was used for so many years at Three Rivers? It was a multi-purpose environment in tough weather conditions. What has changed today? Nothing. In fact, it probably worse because we didn't have two football teams playing at the same time like now with Pitt. Eventually, after enough complaints by visiting teams that the field is not professional quality, the NFL will make the decision that the Steelers should have made after the stadium opened. Artificial turf is just NECESSARY for a safer, professional football game at Heinz Field.

acero
11-23-2008, 12:19 PM
i guess there are different qualities of turf, and i dont know whats installed in denver and baltimore but they look great and players dont seem to be bother by it, new englands turf isnt too bad either :tt02:

SteelCityMan786
11-23-2008, 12:21 PM
The first Super Bowl the Steelers played in was at Tulane Stadium and that game was played on artificial turf! My point is that all those seasons the Steelers won Super Bowls, all their homes games were on some sort of artificial turf and that was the old hard, seam laden turfs of the 70's-90's. Injuries are going to happen regardless of the surface. Today's artificial turfs have been proven to cause fewer season ending injuries than natural grass. Obviously the Rooneys and some of the Steelers don't trust those results but they need to trust those studies, move on and stop wasting so much money that could be used so many other things. Not to mention that Pitt has wanted turf for a long time. Home field advantage some of you keep saying? The Steelers are slipping, sliding and loosing footing more than the visiting team! This is a NO BRAINER folks! Our field looks like a 4x4 truck rodeo park. This is supposed to be PROFESSIONAL football. Why do you think that turf was used for so many years at Three Rivers? It was a multi-purpose environment in tough weather conditions. What has changed today? Nothing. In fact, it probably worse because we didn't have two football teams playing at the same time like now with Pitt. Eventually, after enough complaints by visiting teams that the field is not professional quality, the NFL will make the decision that the Steelers should have made after the stadium opened. Artificial turf is just NECESSARY for a safer, professional football game at Heinz Field.

Ok you got me on the Tulane Stadium being Turf.

But let's look at all the stadiums the Steelers won their super bowls
Super Bowl IX-Astroturf
Super Bowl X-Natural Grass
Super Bowl XIII-Natural Grass
Super Bowl XVI-Natural Grass
Super Bowl XL-Field Turf

Not to mention at Three Rivers, they also had to change how the seating was set up in order to accommodate the Football and Baseball Fields in the same building. Heinz Field yes is a multipurpose environment, but what's the difference between the two? Heinz Field a FOOTBALL ONLY environment. Also, the WPIAL was playing at Three Rivers once per year back in the day at TRS. You have to consider not just the Steelers would be using it, but the Panthers and WPIAL would be to. Sure Pitt has wanted it, but the bottom line is they have to consider for as long as the Steelers play at Heinz Field, they're the anchor tenant and what the anchor tenant says, goes. This is even more of a reason Pitt should be playing their Football games on campus in Oakland, not on the North Shore.

--- Added 11/23/2008 at 10:21 AM ---

i guess there are different qualities of turf, and i dont know whats installed in denver and baltimore but they look great and players dont seem to be bother by it, new englands turf isnt too bad either :tt02:

Denver uses DD Grassmaster.

Baltimore uses Field Turf Duraspine. If you want an example of it, reffer to the surface at Puskar Stadium down at WVU

No clue what New England calls theirs.

acero
11-23-2008, 01:08 PM
i thought denvers and baltimores were the same!!!

thanks

they both look nice, i wonder how injuries turnout on one and the other

Stlrs4Life
11-23-2008, 01:09 PM

Had more to Fitzpatrick making short 3 step drop, than it had to do with our defense. And as far as turf, yeah, it makes a defense faster, but also makes the offense faster also. Thus why our Defense wants grass.

dsj3
11-23-2008, 03:55 PM
Look, I am not trying to compare what surfaces were used 'in' the Super Bowl. I am showing us what surfaces were used in the seasons that 'took' us to the Super Bowl. Fact: Heinz Field has two football teams playing on it at the same time. Fact: Pitt is not going anywhere any time soon. Fact: Today's synthetic turfs have been proven to cause fewer season ending injuries than natural grass. Fact: Heinz Field not only looks bad but it is far more hazardous because of it's condition. Fact: Pittsburgh does not have the weather of San Diego beautiful grass field, California. Fact: Football has injuries-grass or turf. The Steelers are not little kids. They don't need their jerseys muddy to prove they played football.

SteelersfaninPhilly
11-23-2008, 04:06 PM
Worthless thread. Rooneys are not going to install any type of turf. They will re-sod every year. Cause they believe Football SHOULD BE PLAYED ON GRASS.

dsj3
11-23-2008, 04:12 PM
They do? What happened from 1970-2001?

SteelCityMan786
11-23-2008, 04:30 PM
They do? What happened from 1970-2001?

Times change dsj. They liked turf originally, but they felt eventually that grass was better.

dsj3
11-24-2008, 12:59 AM
Every year at this time, we go through this and every year we keep the slop.
I guess you're right........for now.

SteelCityMan786
11-24-2008, 01:04 AM
Every year at this time, we go through this and every year we keep the slop.
I guess you're right........for now.

I'll stick to for now. I'm not guaranteeing their mind will change.

dsj3
11-24-2008, 01:49 PM
They are certainly wasting lots of money to maintain the dirt/sand. New England, Baltimore and Cincinnati gave up a long time ago. What do the Steelers know that they didn't? Or is it that the Steelers just have money to keep throwing away? Ultimately, it might be the NFL that changes the Steelers minds.

ejsteeler
11-24-2008, 01:58 PM
Look, I am not trying to compare what surfaces were used 'in' the Super Bowl. I am showing us what surfaces were used in the seasons that 'took' us to the Super Bowl. Fact: Heinz Field has two football teams playing on it at the same time. Fact: Pitt is not going anywhere any time soon. Fact: Today's synthetic turfs have been proven to cause fewer season ending injuries than natural grass. Fact: Heinz Field not only looks bad but it is far more hazardous because of it's condition. Fact: Pittsburgh does not have the weather of San Diego beautiful grass field, California. Fact: Football has injuries-grass or turf. The Steelers are not little kids. They don't need their jerseys muddy to prove they played football.

I don't buy the turf reduces injuries bs. You can quote all the studies you want. Until football is played like it is meant to be played on turf, you have no stance. Sure, look back at how many injuries have happened on grass. Also look at how they played. Real football, physicall football, not this pansy shiat the NFL has them playing now.
Grass is the way to go.

dsj3
11-24-2008, 08:13 PM
See, I thought we were done with this but I guess not. We are in the 21st century. Guys like you that always saying the game was meant to be played on grass are just refusing to acknowledge innovation. Think about it for a minute. We have helmets with face masks on them and radios in them for the QB too, the coaches have headsets to communicate, cool air blowers that blow cool air on the players in the warm weather and heaters that blow warm air on the players in the winter, fields (both natural and artificial) that have heat built into the surface, instant replay review, etc, etc. Synthetic turfs just fall right into modern innovations of the game! What. Are we going to just get rid of all the headsets and other stuff and say football wasn't meant to have radio communication? Ah, football wasn't meant to have facemasks? Where does that kind of thinking end? I think grass fields are awesome in places that can maintain them in a "professional" condition like San Diego (got to be the nicest grass field in the NFL), followed by Miami, Tampa Bay and a few others but Pittsburgh's field from November to January is the laughing stock of the NFL. Also, just because you and others refuse to acknowledge the studies doesn't mean the studies are wrong. Why do you think most major colleges have installed some type of synthetic surface? Do you think programs like Michigan, Ohio State, West Virginia, Marshall and hundreds of others want to install a surface that is going to hurt their players careers? Come on. Why did New England, Baltimore, Cincinnati switch to synthetic turf after their lengthy grass experiments? Why didn't Seattle install grass in their new stadium? Are they all idiots or something? I think not. They all want a surface that is going to excel their team's traction, especially in late fall and winter as well as utilize their funds for other things.....not to mention that the field should look just plain look good for an NFL game. The Steelers should want that too. I would think that any professional football team would.

Dean Denton
11-24-2008, 08:29 PM
We do not need Turf or field turf. All the players on this team except Parker love the grass. If we had a HB like Jacobs or Bettis then everyone would be on board. All the other teams just need to go to grass. Ankles get tore up on the field turf, and knees get blown on turf, plus, its over cement. Dude, football was not ment to be played on cement I dont care how advanced things have become. Grass all the way, and if any of you were playing....I bet you would say the same thing....Grass baby..

dsj3
11-24-2008, 09:38 PM
Today's synthetic turf is NOT installed over concrete. Good Grief. Did you read anything I wrote earlier?

K Train
11-24-2008, 10:26 PM
ive played...grass is entirely overrated, it doesnt make the game more genuine or anything like that...turf is amazing to play on

dsj3
11-24-2008, 11:18 PM
You go K Train. What is the deal with these natural grass guys from Planet Plutron? Like we actually have natural grass anyway. It's mostly sand with some grass and a tiny bit of synthetic woven somewhere in the crap. Just think they put it down then it soon falls apart then now there are putting another thin layer over top of the old crap has fallen apart. Does that make sense? All so you can say "Its Natural" uuuuuuuu. So cool. NOT! Man, some the nicest synthetic turf is so much like grass you care barely tell it apart.

ejsteeler
11-25-2008, 01:34 PM
Grass. :nahnah:

Dean Denton
11-25-2008, 01:42 PM
If you spin it around the league 90% of the players will say grass. I think they are in a better position then we are to make that call. Sure our field gets a bit tore up from time to time, but thats the crew in charge not doing their job. How bad can grass be if all the players in Pittsburgh other than Parker want to keep it?

SteelCityMan786
11-25-2008, 10:53 PM
Today's synthetic turf is NOT installed over concrete. Good Grief. Did you read anything I wrote earlier?

Actually the grass turf surfaces vary per product produced. Most of them are put over shale.

steeltex
11-26-2008, 09:18 PM
stick with the grass........just limit the "other games" played at Heinz Field

K Train
11-27-2008, 01:01 AM
you cant just not let pitt play in their stadium lol, and the HS championship game is a big deal for HS kids....turf is better, players like it, i guarantee that number wouldnt be 90% if someone took that poll. until you play on the new 3g turf you cant make a judgement...you cant tell the difference between that and grass, its legit and it looks nicer and could hold up to bull fights rather than falling apart every few games

Stairwayto7
11-27-2008, 08:00 AM
you cant just not let pitt play in their stadium lol, and the HS championship game is a big deal for HS kids....turf is better, players like it, i guarantee that number wouldnt be 90% if someone took that poll. until you play on the new 3g turf you cant make a judgement...you cant tell the difference between that and grass, its legit and it looks nicer and could hold up to bull fights rather than falling apart every few games

The funny thing is that I`m surprised the HS championships are still played in Pittsburgh, you would think that they would want them more centrally located!

Dean Denton
11-28-2008, 12:35 PM
They took the poll for the Steelers, and Parker was the only one that wanted turf. They all said the same thing. Grass is more forgiving. It was in the Steeler digest last year about two weeks after that Dolphin game last year. TG gets the Digest, I'm sure he would tell you all the same thing. These guys play on the turf when they hit the road, and they like grass better. Parker doesn't because it slows him down, and thats it.

dsj3
11-29-2008, 01:57 PM
We'll See. The Patriots had a very similar problem that the Steelers have. They smartly switched to Field Turf a few seasons ago. Let see how the Steelers perform Sunday on it.

champnation
11-29-2008, 02:51 PM
I think the new sod might hold up better than before. I just don't see why they do not get turf because it would save money by far in the long run and it wouldn't make the field look so bad towards the end of the year. But also it may help the steelers with a messy field especially when fast teams come to town. I agree with whoever said it I think they need to move the high school championship and centralize it at Penn St's field, but we all know the best teams come from Western PA :)

dsj3
11-30-2008, 10:45 PM
I hope The Steelers, all you natural mud fans, and especially the Rooney's paid attention to how much better the Steelers played on New England's synthetic surface. As I predicted, the Steelers were a completely different team in all aspects on a artificial surface. The running game looked 100% better! Why? Because the backs didn't loose precious milliseconds trying to duck and dodge in sandy turf that breaks apart on every cut! Roethlisberger might like real grass better but he better take a second look at the film on how much quicker and agile he was on turf not to mention how the Steelers defense flew around much quicker making plays all over the place! The receivers were quicker and were open more for passes. Make no mistake, the game at New England was just a sample of how the much better the Steelers would play if they had that surface at Heinz Field. Add the crowd noise and Good Gosh! Somebody at the top should listen to me. I'm telling y'all, the turf MAKES THE DIFFERENCE and synthetic is the way to go for Pittsburgh!

BlitzburghRockCity
11-30-2008, 10:55 PM
I was thinking the same thing..not to even mention how nice the field looked in Gillette stadium but how well it worked and how little slipping there was even in a torrential downpour most of the game. Guys weren't slipping every where, running could make cuts for the most part, it was fun to watch our team actually be able to perform on a quality field instead of the damn swamp they normally play in.

They did just resod Heinz so that will help the rest of year but still the point still stands that it's a waste of resources to constantly resod the damn thing when you can just do what ever other damn team in the league does in a climate like we play in.

PsychoWard
11-30-2008, 11:04 PM
i said the same thing during the game

ejsteeler
12-01-2008, 03:21 PM
Get over it guys, natural turf is how it will be. I've heard two different players talk about it since this thread starter, Farrior was one and I can't rememebr the other, and they both said they like it sloppy. It is the best way to play the game. Slipping is part of it, mud is part of it. I love it! :yellowthumb:

dsj3
12-01-2008, 06:41 PM
Hmmm. The Steelers running backs would rather slip, fall and gain less yards, the Steelers would rather have their QB slip when he's trying to scramble instead of making it safely out of the pocket more often when he has to, the Steelers would rather have their receivers all a half a step slower, the defense would rather also be a half a step slower. Yea, that makes sense to us cause slipping in mud is all part of the game. NOT! THAT'S BULL! Slipping and mud does "NOT" have to be apart of game. I can't believe after that performance at New England, anyone including the players could possibly still feel that sandy, muddy grassmaster stuff is the way to go. It's so obvious that the Steelers play better on turf it is a no brainer but you are right about one thing....I guess we have to get over it because for some weird reason.....they all would prefer to have their jerseys dirty rather than have a faster team. Makes sense to me. :-(

Troyisabeast_43
12-01-2008, 06:47 PM
The field looked in great shape for the Pitt WVU game on Friday. The Sod looked very well kept and it should be in great shape for Sunday's game here against the Cowboys. Keep in mind since Pitt is done playing at Heinz Field and there are no more other games that are going to be played there other then the Steelers games with the Cowboys and the Browns the last game of the season, and of course the playoffs as well.

Dean Denton
12-01-2008, 06:50 PM
Its still even because the other team will slip too. We get more practice at it so our slips should be less. We hope. Now if we lose because of it, then I might sing a different song. Last year in that muddy snow storm the Jags had no issue running down our throats. I dont remember them slipping once. I dont remember them even slowing down to make a snow ball. I have seen one bad game on this field, and that was last year. and that was funny. The ball stuck in the mud on a punt. that was funny shiat....

SteelCityMan786
12-01-2008, 08:35 PM
I hope The Steelers, all you natural mud fans, and especially the Rooney's paid attention to how much better the Steelers played on New England's synthetic surface. As I predicted, the Steelers were a completely different team in all aspects on a artificial surface. The running game looked 100% better! Why? Because the backs didn't loose precious milliseconds trying to duck and dodge in sandy turf that breaks apart on every cut! Roethlisberger might like real grass better but he better take a second look at the film on how much quicker and agile he was on turf not to mention how the Steelers defense flew around much quicker making plays all over the place! The receivers were quicker and were open more for passes. Make no mistake, the game at New England was just a sample of how the much better the Steelers would play if they had that surface at Heinz Field. Add the crowd noise and Good Gosh! Somebody at the top should listen to me. I'm telling y'all, the turf MAKES THE DIFFERENCE and synthetic is the way to go for Pittsburgh!

The Steelers play just as decent on grass. Also, don't give me the whole they weren't slipping nonsense. I've played Football for the past 8 years, it's just as easy to slip on turf as is the case with grass when it's crappy weather wise.

I was thinking the same thing..not to even mention how nice the field looked in Gillette stadium but how well it worked and how little slipping there was even in a torrential downpour most of the game. Guys weren't slipping every where, running could make cuts for the most part, it was fun to watch our team actually be able to perform on a quality field instead of the damn swamp they normally play in.

They did just resod Heinz so that will help the rest of year but still the point still stands that it's a waste of resources to constantly resod the damn thing when you can just do what ever other damn team in the league does in a climate like we play in.

One of the things that helped them is the fact that they play on grass which is a great way to get practice for the amount of slipping that can happen during a rainstorm on either surface.

What I think they need to do is get rid of grass master and go to sod full time. Seeing how it held up in the Pitt/WVU Game, I feel it can hold up much better then grassmaster. Plus, if you schedule all of the games better, it still won't have as much of a bad impact on the field as much.

Get over it guys, natural turf is how it will be. I've heard two different players talk about it since this thread starter, Farrior was one and I can't rememebr the other, and they both said they like it sloppy. It is the best way to play the game. Slipping is part of it, mud is part of it. I love it! :yellowthumb:

You and me both. :plus1:

K Train
12-01-2008, 08:52 PM
try slipping on 3rd generation field turf, not as easy as you make it sound theres some serious traction

SteelCityMan786
12-01-2008, 09:31 PM
try slipping on 3rd generation field turf, not as easy as you make it sound theres some serious traction

Can you prove that scenario???

ejsteeler
12-02-2008, 12:07 PM
Just to be clear, I do not like our dd grass master crap, but I like real grass and dirt. You can keep turf and that grass master crap. :yesnod:
And it doesn't have to make sense to you dsj3, you do not haver to play on it. :nahnah:

dsj3
12-02-2008, 07:20 PM
Listen people, real grass/sod has already been tried at Heinz Field. It was miserable. This sand/grass dd Grassmaster thing is so played and has been the norm for the Steelers since the sod thing was tried and when it inevitably falls apart too they put a real grass layer over top of it (what was just done) and keep on playing or shall I say...slipping until the season is over and they start the whole miserable process all over again. I don't understand this thing. I could understand the argument you mud guys had if we were talking the old rock hard turfs of the 70's-90's, but these new turfs LOOK and FEEL so much like real grass that what is the BIG DEAL???? Why do you think that so many teams have gone to these turfs again in the NFL, mainly New England, Baltimore and Cincinnati all of whom have very similar weather conditions to Pittsburgh AND I might add none of those teams have a college using the stadium at the same time August-November! Why would anyone choose a Hyundai over a BMW? Come on. Is this brain surgery here?

SteelCityMan786
12-03-2008, 12:20 AM
Listen people, real grass/sod has already been tried at Heinz Field. It was miserable. This sand/grass dd Grassmaster thing is so played and has been the norm for the Steelers since the sod thing was tried and when it inevitably falls apart too they put a real grass layer over top of it (what was just done) and keep on playing or shall I say...slipping until the season is over and they start the whole miserable process all over again. I don't understand this thing. I could understand the argument you mud guys had if we were talking the old rock hard turfs of the 70's-90's, but these new turfs LOOK and FEEL so much like real grass that what is the BIG DEAL???? Why do you think that so many teams have gone to these turfs again in the NFL, mainly New England, Baltimore and Cincinnati all of whom have very similar weather conditions to Pittsburgh AND I might add none of those teams have a college using the stadium at the same time August-November! Why would anyone choose a Hyundai over a BMW? Come on. Is this brain surgery here?

Baltimore lends there stadium to Navy sometimes.

It's better to rid DD Grassmaster. The Sod stuff works far better. The only reason that it was messed up in 2007 was because of the fact it didn't sit long enough. It had enough time to sit this year before Pitt used it, and it held up pretty well. Now we'll see how well it holds up for the Steelers should the weather cooperate.

ejsteeler
12-03-2008, 11:42 AM
Quit trying to change our minds, it's not going to happen. Some like turf, some of us like grass. Big deal. I understand your argument for turf and it makes sense, but I like football played outdoors in the elements on a field of real grass. It's part of the feel of the game for me and adds to the experience. That is the BMW in my mind. :yesnod:

dsj3
12-04-2008, 09:56 AM
They were using DD Grassmaster last year too. It was several seasons ago that they tried real sod. It was even more miserable than the Grassmaster. I'm watched SportsBeat Monday night and Stan and Tunch talked about how great the Steelers played but surprisingly no one brought up the turf issue but trust me that was a major factor. Obviously, I can't seem to change anyone's mind and this issue is so bazaar I really got to let it go for now. There simply is a need for speed. I believe eventually, the Steelers will make the switch not only because it is simply the intelligent thing to do but in due time the weather, the Panthers and the NFL will facilitate the change.

SteelFanInIL
12-06-2008, 02:03 PM
You have nailed it. There's something about seeing the game played in the elements that just makes it better, and in many cases turns what would be blow outs into watchable games. Say no to domes, say no to turf.

Koopa
12-06-2008, 03:37 PM
You have nailed it. There's something about seeing the game played in the elements that just makes it better, and in many cases turns what would be blow outs into watchable games. Say no to domes, say no to turf.

yeah because that dolphins game last year was so watchable............ gtfoh.......... all that **** does is give the inferior team a chance to win........... **** natural grass, and **** the elements........... if you can't win without all that, then you ain't a good team

Iron City South
12-06-2008, 04:49 PM
TOMLIN TELLS ROONEY HE WANTS TURF!

Tomlin pushing for turf at Heinz Field?
12:27pm - Wednesday, December 3rd, 2008

Steelers defense could be even better on turf?

I think the speed of the Pittsburgh defense is amazing, and playing on Field Turf only enhances it. Given how fast the Steelers played, Coach Mike Tomlin is probably telling Dan Rooney to consider putting it down in Heinz Field. -- National Football Post

Steelers 49-20-1 at home this decade

The Pittsburgh Steelers are one of the NFL's best home teams this decade with a 49-20-1 record. That includes a 13-3-1 mark against NFC teams at Heinz Field. The Cowboys won in their last two visits to Pittsburgh, but those games were played in the 1990s at Three Rivers Stadium. -- Dallas Morning News

It may not happen this year, but it's going to happen ...... :yesnod:

Tomlin understands that "speed wins" .... This Steelers team has speed, that's for certain. They just don't have the opportunity to showcase it playing in a kitty litter sand box with chunks of turf missing. :yellowthumb:

SteelCityMan786
12-06-2008, 11:29 PM
TOMLIN TELLS ROONEY HE WANTS TURF!

It may not happen this year, but it's going to happen ...... :yesnod:

Tomlin understands that "speed wins" .... This Steelers team has speed, that's for certain. They just don't have the opportunity to showcase it playing in a kitty litter sand box with chunks of turf missing. :yellowthumb:

Link Please.

Speed isn't the only thing that wins. Even changing a field surface can help opponents to.

dsj3
12-09-2008, 12:52 AM
I'm not taking anything away from a great Steeler win but make no mistake that the Cowboys gave that game to the Steelers. Hats off do our defense for excepting the gift. It was also nice to see the Steelers with their logo (though faded) back at midfield and Steelers painted in the south endzone on what is another fresh new grass/sand field. Even though I am beating a dead horse here, I hope all those grass fans could see just how poorly our offense still plays on grass. We still the extra speed that turf would give us. I still stand behind that the Steelers need turf. It will make all the difference! Mr. Rooney, if the Steelers win the division, please install it before the first playoff game . It can be done! The Patriots did it 2 years ago just like that.

ejsteeler
12-09-2008, 10:52 AM
I'm not taking anything away from a great Steeler win but make no mistake that the Cowboys gave that game to the Steelers. Hats off do our defense for excepting the gift. It was also nice to see the Steelers with their logo (though faded) back at midfield and Steelers painted in the south endzone on what is another fresh new grass/sand field. Even though I am beating a dead horse here, I hope all those grass fans could see just how poorly our offense still plays on grass. We still the extra speed that turf would give us. I still stand behind that the Steelers need turf. It will make all the difference! Mr. Rooney, if the Steelers win the division, please install it before the first playoff game . It can be done! The Patriots did it 2 years ago just like that.

:blah:

And why do you think Nono's passes were sailing? Because he was scared of the pressure. Our D did it again. cowgirls D looked good to, but our o-line, Ben holding the ball and Arians play calling can make any D look good. :lol:

Steelers70
12-09-2008, 11:01 AM
I'm all in favor of turf. Anyone have any injury stats for Grass vs. Field Turf? As an owner I think I'd make that the deciding factor. You always want to try to give a coach and the players the field they want to play on but you have to consider your investments. It may not be in the books to switch over for a bit with the new debt he's about to take on. I expect we'll see turf eventually but not for a few years.

-Steelers70

dsj3
12-09-2008, 06:05 PM
There have already been several studies since the new turfs have come out and they all show that both have injuries consistant with each surface however there are more season ending injuries on real grass. We won't even touch which one looks better, which one is the better surface investment,which one is the better surface for speed, or which one Pitt prefers.

ejsteeler
12-10-2008, 02:42 PM
:deadhorse: :popcorn:

K Train
12-10-2008, 05:06 PM
i think all basketball games should be played on concrete or pavement.....**** this shined up wood floor ****

Stlrs4Life
12-10-2008, 05:27 PM
I thought the field held out well on Sunday.

K Train
12-10-2008, 05:29 PM
it did because it was brand new and had 3 weeks to settle....its still stupid to re-sod 2 or 3 times a year

steelers4life66
12-11-2008, 12:43 AM
We are rated as the worst field in the NFL

dsj3
12-11-2008, 01:11 AM
The sod is new so of course it looks better. One or two games in the rain/snow and it would fall apart quickly again. Everybody checkout Bmore's beautiful turf field Sunday. I'm so jealous. Our field should look like that.

SteelCityMan786
12-12-2008, 06:13 PM
The sod is new so of course it looks better. One or two games in the rain/snow and it would fall apart quickly again. Everybody checkout Bmore's beautiful turf field Sunday. I'm so jealous. Our field should look like that.

Not to mention it had time to sit and go unused.

dsj3
12-15-2008, 01:53 AM
Turf!

blackngold29
12-15-2008, 02:17 AM
The players want grass, they've said it multiple times and as far as I know they're the only ones who the field directly effects; so I say give 'em grass.

Koopa
12-15-2008, 02:26 AM
but they want grass for a gay reason, an advantage....... i know we need all the help we can get, but come on, our team is built on speed now, and our field is holding us back, that's why i don't want home field advantage, i just want that bye week, which we got, i'd rather play on a nice field so it doesn't slow us down

blackngold29
12-15-2008, 02:32 AM
but they want grass for a gay reason, an advantage....... i know we need all the help we can get, but come on, our team is built on speed now, and our field is holding us back, that's why i don't want home field advantage, i just want that bye week, which we got, i'd rather play on a nice field so it doesn't slow us down

What if we play away on grass?

Koopa
12-15-2008, 02:42 AM
What if we play away on grass?

it will still be better then the **** we call grass at heinz field, i'm not totally against grass, i'm totally against it in Pittsburgh, the weather up there isn't made for a grass field

acero
12-15-2008, 02:48 AM
personally i like denver broncos field !!

hate shanahan and the team

:tt02:

dsj3
12-15-2008, 11:12 AM
Listen to me, the Steelers should install turf right after the Brownie game. It can be done. Right after the Cowboy game would have been good, then the Brownie game would have initiated it. We are a completely different team on the turf! I like Baltimore's Sportexe's Momentum Turf. Our offense desperately needs the speed!!!! Why is this brain surgery for the Steelers? Why would anyone prefer a slower surface? It does not make sense. To slow up the visiting team? That is a stupid-punk reason to slow down everyone! Wake up and install the turf!

BR7
12-15-2008, 12:30 PM
Here's the solution.. Boise St. uses astroplay turf, why can't the Rooneys pay for a custom color (ala the smurf field)? Perspectives on the logos/endzone art are way off, was a quick 5 minute job in photoshop, but you get the jest of it :D :thinking:

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t279/BR-7/boise20.jpg

dsj3
12-15-2008, 01:07 PM
Hey BR7, maybe you are joking but I dared to think about that already!!! I visioned black turf with gold hash marks and end zones! It also would give the illusion that your running on top of coal! I love it. Probably too much Black with the jerseys though. It wouldn't surprise me one but if the NFL has rules regarding field color. I'm sure they do, so that may not be possible. I'd just be happy with green turf.....and so would Pitt. Check out my Christmas carol. All I want for Christmas is some artificial turf....some artificial turf..some artificial turf... all I want for Christmas is some artificial turf...so it can give Steelers speed they need!

ejsteeler
12-15-2008, 01:11 PM
GRASS!!!!
Yeah, it sped us up so much, man did you see all those sacks? The players want grass, period. Do you honestly think you know what s better for them than they do? Your reasons are all valid, but they will get what they want in this instance. I do not see it changing in the near future.

dsj3
12-15-2008, 07:02 PM
In this case I would dare to say yes I know what's better. I know how much better they play on it and they should just wake up and realize the same thing! This is ridiculous. Yea, I want the slower surface that falls apart so my competition will hopefully be slower than me and slip more than me. That makes real sense. That like putting cracks and pot holes on the track at NASCAR and wondering who will make the finish line that way. We need Speed, Speed, Speed. Grass sucks!

BR7
12-15-2008, 09:33 PM
That like putting cracks and pot holes on the track at NASCAR and wondering who will make the finish line that way

I despise NASCAR, but that made me laugh. I think thats a real good idea BTW, :lol:

ejsteeler
12-16-2008, 12:39 PM
No, you do not know better. You would like to think so, but you don't. Grass is how it will remain. Better get used to it. :yesnod:

steelers4life66
12-16-2008, 12:44 PM
No, you do not know better. You would like to think so, but you don't. Grass is how it will remain. Better get used to it. :yesnod:
Ya, I think your right. But so many other teams play on that field It might be a good idea to move away from grass. But like you said things are probably going to stay the way they are.

ejsteeler
12-16-2008, 12:58 PM
Yes, I would absolutely like no one but the Steelers playing on that field, especially as we get later in the year but I don't think that will change either and I have to get used to that....:cursin:

dsj3
12-17-2008, 01:31 AM
For years we played on rock hard Tartan Turf and Astro Turf and went to 5 Super Bowls from those seasons. We build a new stadium and could update it with a state of the art, super fast, grass like hybrid surface but prefer to slip and slide in sandy turf. It just doesn't make sense. I just thought we were smarter then this.

ejsteeler
12-17-2008, 11:27 AM
For years we played on rock hard Tartan Turf and Astro Turf and went to 5 Super Bowls from those seasons. We build a new stadium and could update it with a state of the art, super fast, grass like hybrid surface but prefer to slip and slide in sandy turf. It just doesn't make sense. I just thought we were smarter then this.

Dude, get over it. You're gonna hurt yourself. :lol: Don't try to make sense out of it, just accept it and roll with it. :cope: :yellowthumb:

dsj3
12-17-2008, 07:18 PM
I'm OK. I took a Xanax. I feel better now. Nice grass. :-)

ejsteeler
12-17-2008, 10:05 PM
I'm OK. I took a Xanax. I feel better now. Nice grass. :-)

:hilarious:

dsj3
12-21-2008, 05:57 PM
How did the Steelers look Sunday? Anybody possibly, maybe ah starting to think maybe I have something maybe ah there with this grass/turf theory????????

SteelCityMan786
12-21-2008, 06:16 PM
How did the Steelers look Sunday? Anybody possibly, maybe ah starting to think maybe I have something maybe ah there with this grass/turf theory????????

No.

Execution has to be done no matter what the surface. They didn't execute. You CAN NOT blame the field surface.

Funny thing is, the Steelers have to play on Grass should they go to the Super Bowl this year. So why change it???

dsj3
12-22-2008, 01:51 AM
I am not "totally" blaming the surface at all. You are correct, execution is the key on any surface. My hypothesis is that the Steelers execute MUCH BETTER on a turf surface. That's all. Time will tell.

SteelCityMan786
12-22-2008, 12:39 PM
I am not "totally" blaming the surface at all. You are correct, execution is the key on any surface. My hypothesis is that the Steelers execute MUCH BETTER on a turf surface. That's all. Time will tell.

Some environments I would agree. (Cincinnati, and New England). However in an enviornment like Baltimore's, no.

I'm still not having the change of heart, but if the Steelers do, I'll trust their judgement.

ejsteeler
12-22-2008, 12:58 PM
Time will not freaking tell, it will not happen. Get a grip on reality.

SteelCityMan786
12-22-2008, 03:09 PM
Time will not freaking tell, it will not happen. Get a grip on reality.

I came to it a long time ago.

ejsteeler
12-22-2008, 03:30 PM
I came to it a long time ago.

:lol: I hear ya man....

dsj3
12-23-2008, 07:38 PM
That's just it. I do have a grip on reality. We play better on turf. That is the reality.

SteelCityMan786
12-23-2008, 11:17 PM
That's just it. I do have a grip on reality. We play better on turf. That is the reality.

The reality we're reffering to is the fact that the Rooney's Don't want to get rid of grass.

ejsteeler
01-06-2009, 12:47 PM
Sorry, just had to :deadhorse:

Link (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09006/939821-66.stm)

Roethlisberger: Heinz Field's natural turf lessened injury

That artificial turf the Steelers never installed at Heinz Field might have saved them a franchise quarterback. Or at least, saved him from a bigger headache.

Ben Roethlisberger credited the giving grass surface for saving him from a more serious injury Dec. 28 when his head bounced off it after Cleveland linebackers Willie McGinest and D'Qwell Jackson knocked him to the turf late in the first half.

They carried Roethlisberger out on a stretcher that game; he was diagnosed with a mild concussion and he did not practice last week. But he did practice yesterday and said he will start Sunday when the Steelers play the San Diego Chargers at Heinz Field in an AFC divisional playoff game.

"I'm glad we weren't on FieldTurf," Roethlisberger said yesterday, speaking publicly for the first time since his injury. "That grass -- you know, the soft Heinz Field -- might've helped a little bit. That whiplash is always a pain. If you ask any position player, when they hit that ground with the whiplash, it's going to hurt like crazy."

Still, he said it was "scary" because his arms went temporarily numb.

"Yeah, I couldn't feel them. They pricked me with a pin and I couldn't feel it. When you see the doctor look at the trainer with that look, it kind of scares you a little bit."

The scary part is over -- now come the questions. First, there were those from the doctors; he took several tests last week and passed his final one Monday morning. Now, they'll come from fans and the news media: Will there be an effect from the concussion when he takes the field Sunday?

"I plan on being out there 100 percent ready to go," Roethlisberger said.

He also was cleared to play after his previous concussion that occurred Oct. 22, 2006, in Atlanta. He played the following Sunday in Oakland, was sacked five times and threw four interceptions, two of them returned for touchdowns in a 20-13 loss.

Roethlisberger said yesterday "that's so long ago, I don't even remember," but offered one difference this time and the last.

"Well, it's nice that we had the week off. That's a big help. And last time we got cleared [by doctors to play]. We're taking every precaution necessary with doctors and everybody. It's going well."

Roethlisberger said he will do nothing differently, will wear the same helmet and won't worry about getting hit again.

"You can't afford to. It's just like when a player comes off knee surgery, or some kind of injury, you can't go out there and play afraid, play scared to be hurt, because that's when you get hurt. So I'm going to go out there and play normal football. If I get hit, I get hit."

Yesterday, Roethlisberger took most of the snaps with the first team, although backup Byron Leftwich worked some plays with the first team as well.

Heinz Field has a DDGrassMaster surface that is grass held in place by poly fibers. They reinstalled that surface after last season, but not before seriously considering an artificial turf, particularly after the "Muck Game" 3-0 victory against the winless Dolphins Nov. 26, 2007. The Steelers installed grass sod on top of their surface this season after their Nov. 20 game against Cincinnati.

NOTES -- All starters practiced yesterday, FS Ryan Clark practiced yesterday after missing the Dec. 28 game against Cleveland. He should be able to start Sunday. ... LB James Harrison also practiced after missing the game against Cleveland with a hip pointer. ... The players have off today and resume practice tomorrow.

Dean Denton
01-06-2009, 01:39 PM
See, the grass saved us a QB. Keep the grass...

BlitzburghRockCity
01-06-2009, 06:13 PM
Since when is Heinz Field ever "soft" in December? That stuff is hard as anything in during the winter months in Pittsburgh. Granted it does give a tad more than Field Turf does and the in ground heaters help that cause but field turf has those too...eh, who knows Im just glad he's ok.

Dean Denton
01-06-2009, 06:35 PM
It was the give. I have played on a frozen field, and I have to tell you, to me it felt like playing on gravel...that shiat hurts when you get drilled into it. I think Ben is just a good spokes person for the Rooney family and he says whatever they tell him too. 100 million times over....lol

blackngold29
01-07-2009, 02:39 PM
Since when is Heinz Field ever "soft" in December? That stuff is hard as anything in during the winter months in Pittsburgh. Granted it does give a tad more than Field Turf does and the in ground heaters help that cause but field turf has those too...eh, who knows Im just glad he's ok.

The field is heated. How much that makes it "soft" I don't know, but it's not a rock like they used to be.

dsj3
01-08-2009, 02:51 AM
No I don't work for an artificial turf company but today's turfs are as safe or safer than real grass. Football has injuries. Are we going to go back and count all the grass injuries then compare them to turf injuries? From some of the latest statistics grass would loose.
Pick the best surface for Heinz based on weather, usage and team performance and play the game.

popstaala
01-08-2009, 03:05 AM
our field now is what makes our home field special... no other team in the league wants to play in our muddy grass field but the steelers... our field is always a factor in a game and it is to our advantage... i say we keep it the way it is... ben likes playing the mud... lol

SteelFanInIL
01-08-2009, 12:53 PM
Grass, ah yes...:smoking:

dsj3
01-08-2009, 08:00 PM
It's professional football though. The footing is very important and we are slipping as much or more than the visiting team. That's not an advantage and nothing is special about that. After thinking about it even more, I wouldn't even want that field for any level of competitive play. I want my edge to be my skill not a trick field that makes everyone slip. Mark my words...one day the NFL will intervene.

Dean Denton
01-08-2009, 08:04 PM
It's professional football though. The footing is very important and we are slipping as much or more than the visiting team. That's not an advantage and nothing is special about that. After thinking about it even more, I wouldn't even want that field for any level of competitive play. I want my edge to be my skill not a trick field that makes everyone slip. Mark my words...one day the NFL will intervene.They cant intervene because then the Rooney's could pitch a fit and demand that all Domes be removed and everyone be forced to play in weather, not under the protection of a roof...And I could not argue with that. I think Domes should be outlawed in football. If they do that, and everyone goes to the fake grass then I'm all for it. You hafe to make it the same for everyone or no one. Cant have your cake and eat it too.

Monrozombi
01-08-2009, 09:54 PM
real, fake, I don't really care. Other then the weather I don't think the playing surface should affect the outcome of the game. So if grass is what the Rooney's want then let them have grass. If they want turf, go to turf. I personally like grass but I hate how our field sometimes just deteroiates during the game ala Miami last year. That was just absolutely unacceptable that a field was that bad. There are a dozen other natural grass fields that don't fall apart like ours does.

greennick
01-08-2009, 10:16 PM
Grass is good! :yellowthumb:

--- Added 1/8/2009 at 08:17 PM ---

There are a dozen other natural grass fields that don't fall apart like ours does.

Most of them don't have to last a fall and winter as bad as Pittsburgh's though...

Monrozombi
01-08-2009, 10:18 PM
Grass is good! :yellowthumb:

--- Added 1/8/2009 at 08:17 PM ---

Most of them don't have to last a fall and winter as bad as Pittsburgh's though...

hell ours can't even last 3/4 of an NFL season, i'd give anything to not have to resod during the year.

ejsteeler
01-09-2009, 10:51 AM
real, fake, I don't really care. Other then the weather I don't think the playing surface should affect the outcome of the game. So if grass is what the Rooney's want then let them have grass. If they want turf, go to turf. I personally like grass but I hate how our field sometimes just deteroiates during the game ala Miami last year. That was just absolutely unacceptable that a field was that bad. There are a dozen other natural grass fields that don't fall apart like ours does.

I really wish folks would stop using the Miami game as an example of how bad our field is. This is not a shot at you Monro, your post just pushed me over the edge....:lol:
That was a fluke and a confluence of bad circumstances. Our players like it and our owners like it. I will go so far as saying most of the fans like it. The good and important part is, the opposition hates it. We are already in their head this time of year when they come here. To me, that is exactly what home field advantage is all about. :2cents:

dsj3
01-09-2009, 11:09 AM
Believe it or not, I like grass too but only if it can be maintained properly and competitively. Is is fair to have a trick field that causes runners to slip and slide, to fall when trying to break down and tackle? Is that really competitive? Is that really safe? "Look, they can't run our field." Ha Ha. "We're going to win cause they are so slow on our field." Hey wait a minute......ah, so are we. When the game is over I want to feel I won by my skills and play calling; by my running backs who can plant and run fast. The Steelers lucked out with weather this year and replacing the field for the playoffs is a good thing. A year is going to come though where the weather and multi-usage will facilitate a change. The Dome issue is not same issue. The Steelers might just do like Miami and replace the field whenever necessary to keep a natural surface at a ludicrous cost of millions per season or seriously the NFL and NCAA may eventually force some sort of artificial surface. Time, weather, usage, etc. will tell.

ejsteeler
01-09-2009, 11:26 AM
When the game is over I want to feel I won by my skills and play calling; by my running backs who can plant and run fast.

Why do you think it is that FWP has better games at home? Don't say it doesn't matter. And don't say it doesn't help. Yes, it will be slippy for both teams but constant use of the field will make some one used to running on it and adjust their body movements to compensate. That is why it is an advantage to us. First year players will probably have a hard time, but after playing on it, they will get used to it.

Stlrs4Life
01-09-2009, 06:13 PM
I don't think it's going to be all that muddy, it has only been played on for 3 games. It will be fine on Sunday.

SteelCityMan786
01-09-2009, 06:49 PM
I don't think it's going to be all that muddy, it has only been played on for 3 games. It will be fine on Sunday.

After all this is the grass that was installed after the WPIAL Title games that they're playing on.

dsj3
01-09-2009, 10:38 PM
I am sure FWP has become accustomed to the slippery field conditions after all he has no choice BUT the Steelers as a whole play much better in every phase of the game on turf. Strangely enough. They always have. Regardless of the field conditions, I am anxious for Sunday's game. I hope it's a win and I hope the Steelers are not the ones slipping and sliding all day. Go Steelers!

Monrozombi
01-09-2009, 11:34 PM
I really wish folks would stop using the Miami game as an example of how bad our field is. This is not a shot at you Monro, your post just pushed me over the edge....:lol:
That was a fluke and a confluence of bad circumstances. Our players like it and our owners like it. I will go so far as saying most of the fans like it. The good and important part is, the opposition hates it. We are already in their head this time of year when they come here. To me, that is exactly what home field advantage is all about. :2cents:

none taken but you have to admit its on the front burner when you see any segment on field conditions/stadiums etc. Most times i'm fine w/ our field but the constant resodding to me seems a little unecessary so either they need to get better grass or stop having so many extra games played on it.

ejsteeler
01-10-2009, 03:26 PM
none taken but you have to admit its on the front burner when you see any segment on field conditions/stadiums etc. Most times i'm fine w/ our field but the constant resodding to me seems a little unecessary so either they need to get better grass or stop having so many extra games played on it.

You're right about that. If they are going to keep grass, which I think they will, they need to invest in state of the art draining and heating under the turf. They have that now, but I don't think it is sufficient. The problem is, with proper drainage, you have erosion. It's going to be a concern for a long time to come I think.

Monrozombi
01-10-2009, 09:57 PM
personally I"m not a fan of turf I just want a surface to withstand a whole season. I really do believe they need to stop having so many other games played on our field. Why can't PITT have their own stadium and play all the other HS and College games on that field and leave ours alone?

ejsteeler
01-11-2009, 02:58 PM
It's just one of the many things the Rooney's like to do for the community.

SteelCityMan786
01-11-2009, 10:43 PM
personally I"m not a fan of turf I just want a surface to withstand a whole season. I really do believe they need to stop having so many other games played on our field. Why can't PITT have their own stadium and play all the other HS and College games on that field and leave ours alone?

No room in the Oakland Section.