PDA

View Full Version : Browns courting Cowher

lloydfan4life
11-21-2008, 08:55 AM
The Cleveland Browns have approached former Pittsburgh Steelers coach Bill Cowher about the possibility of becoming the team's next coach, according to a report on Profootballtalk.com on Thursday.

A source with knowledge of the situation told the site that the Browns are willing to offer Cowher a contract worth $8 million or $9 million per year to replace current coach Romeo Crennel. The Browns are 4-6 this season.

Cowher played in Cleveland from 1980-82 and served as a special teams and defensive backs coach from 1985-88.

In 15 seasons with Pittsburgh, Cowher coached the Steelers to eight division titles and 10 postseason berths, including two Super Bowls. The Steelers beat the Seattle Seahawks for the league title in 2006.

2008 NBC Sports.com

Link (http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/27833751/)

:cursin: I'd hate to see him end up in Cleveland!

Steelersfan
11-21-2008, 09:07 AM
If they get BC all that means is we will beat them every year in the playoffs!!!......lol

LarryNJ
11-21-2008, 09:19 AM
8 or 9 million a year? That would certainly make you think twice. I'm sure he's enjoying life as it is with his weekend gig in NY, probably gets to see his daughters at Princeton since it's just a hop, skip & a jump from NY. I doubt that he makes much more than a million now. I'd go anywhere if someone offered me 9 times my salary, even Cleveland.

HUNT4SEVEN
11-21-2008, 11:17 AM
Who cares we still will beat them because Coward is to conservative:hilarious:

ejsteeler
11-21-2008, 11:37 AM
I don't think he will even entertain the thought until his girls are gone, but you never know. :dunno:
I also would hate to see him in Cleveland, but I always knew he had a great chance to end up back there.

Dean Denton
11-21-2008, 04:16 PM
If they get Bill, then Dick would go over there too. I could see Bill taking the job, and he would turn that team around. I'm sure he thought about Carolina, but Fox is doing a good job there right now and wont be losing his job. Bill has ties with the Browns, and that could be a good fit for him. OR.....It could be a bust. I here that is not a good place to work.

SteelersfaninPhilly
11-21-2008, 07:52 PM
Hope he takes the job. Then he can fail. When he cannot draft on Day 2. But old billy boy does not care. He is just about the $$$ to Cowher now.

lloydfan4life
11-21-2008, 09:10 PM
If they get Bill, then Dick would go over there too. I could see Bill taking the job, and he would turn that team around. I'm sure he thought about Carolina, but Fox is doing a good job there right now and wont be losing his job. Bill has ties with the Browns, and that could be a good fit for him. OR.....It could be a bust. I here that is not a good place to work.

That's what I'm afraid of. Lebeau needs to retire a Steeler. I don't know the ties between him and Bill and whether or not Bill would be able to coax him into coaching for the Browns. IMO that would be a sad day if he left to go to Cleveland, or left to go anywhere for that matter.

As far as Cowher, last I heard he wasn't interested in coaching anywhere at least for the next few years. Of course we're all free to change our minds so he could too.

I always liked Bill and I would hate to have to root against him!

PS.. Cleveland is not a good place to work, unless staph infections are your thing! :lol:

SteelerNC
11-21-2008, 09:21 PM
NOOOOOO!

JoeThomas
11-21-2008, 09:50 PM
they are saying he would want to bring front office guys with him. im not sure who your #1 front office guy is, if its colbert or not. thats who he wants. it would mean savage goes too, and im not too mad at that.

Stairwayto7
11-22-2008, 08:18 AM
Wont help anyway! Belichek is a championship coach! So was Butch Davis! It`s the ownership. Its just the browns. Besides look how long it took Cowher to win a ring! Yeah he had alot of good teams, but it wasn`t all coaching!

BR7
11-22-2008, 11:09 AM
I just don't see it happening. Even if he (Cowher) goes to Cleveland.. I think Dick stays a Steeler. Not sure how many years he has left (definately doesn't look his age, thats for sure), doubt he wants to start over. Takes many years to get the personal to run his style of defense. Thats a lot of time invested just to hand it over to someone else.

As for Cowher, if Fox had a crap year, I'd say Carolina would fit him perfect. That or NC State. Looks like Fox's job isn't in jeopardy yet, so if Cowher stays put this year, I'd say he's waiting for the Carolina job to open up. But yet again, money talks. Guess Cleveland is looking foward to losing year in and year out in the playoffs, especially at home :lol:

I thought it was mentioned somewhere that he didn't want to coach in the AFC North :dunno:

Stairwayto7
11-22-2008, 11:19 AM
NC State is where I keep saying that he`ll end up! Maybe he likes being stress free!

Steelers70
11-22-2008, 12:12 PM
8 or 9 million is the ballpark he was asking to stay with the steelers. With Fox likely to get an extension... Not for certain, but likely. I'd say he's pretty much got his choice of teams. Browns, Cincinatti, Kansas City, Raiders (never happen), Jacksonville, Philadelphia, and Detroit. That's just off the top of my head. Philly and KC are big favorites of his, Carolina would be top choice but is outside chance now, Jacksonville is closer to home than others, and the rest need to pay him huge dollars. He may grab Lebeau but I think it's more likely he'll take on Marvin Lewis unless two things happen... Marvin gets another HC job right off or Cowher gets Bengals. I suppose the Bengals could keep Lewis but I think it's more likely they fire him at the end of the season.

All in all I give Cowher a 50% chance of returning. I think he likes the easier pace of TV announcer. Money talks though and his record speaks for its self. I wish we had paid him more to be honest, but I think he was getting tired of coaching altogether at that point.

-Steelers70

Stairwayto7
11-22-2008, 12:32 PM
Won`t help anyway.

steelerschick1220
11-22-2008, 10:03 PM
I hope Bill doesn't take this job. I love seeing him on tv and I would hate to root against him!!!!!

BlitzburghNation
11-22-2008, 11:55 PM
I hope Bill doesn't take this job. I love seeing him on tv and I would hate to root against him!!!!!

:ditto:
Just can't imagine the CHIN on the sidelines of the clowns :banging:

TampaSteelGirl
11-23-2008, 09:14 AM
I don't think he is intersted in coaching anymore, he seems to be very happy and content commentating instead. I highly doubt he'll give up the freedom he has now to coach again, especially for Cleveland!! I just don't see it happening!

LarryNJ
11-23-2008, 11:53 AM
What about the Cowboys? If they miss the playoffs after being SB favorites no way does Jerry Jones keep Wade Phillips. He would go to a very talented team, high profile, (to fit his big ego) a brand new stadium that's simply beautiful and Jerry Jones would pay him $10 million ++.

Steelers70
11-23-2008, 10:36 PM
Jerry likes to stick his nose in the coaching business too much. I'd be surprised if Cowher went along with that.

-Steelers70

Stairwayto7
11-23-2008, 10:36 PM
Won`t help anyway!

Ambridge
11-24-2008, 05:08 PM
Anyone watch the Cleveland-Houston Game yesterday??
Towards the end of the game when the Texans had it locked up the crowd started chanting "Cowher"-"Cowher". :lol:

If Bill Cowher went to coach the Browns I honestly believe he would automatically lose his hometown-hero "Status" in Pittsburgh and would never be welcomed back.

As far as Dick Lebeau going over to Cleveland with Cowher???...that I just can't see happening.
I would imagine Dick Lebeau will be retiring soon.....he's what 70-71yrs old??? Why go to Cleveland and commit to a 2-3yr process of retooling their defense??

BR7
11-24-2008, 06:38 PM
Jerry likes to stick his nose in the coaching business too much. I'd be surprised if Cowher went along with that.

-Steelers70

I agree. Cowher isn't that type of coach to let the owner parade along the sidelines while the game is in progress, telling him what to do, what to call and questioning his moves, lol.

Cowher has ties with Cleveland, so it wouldn't suprise me much for him to end up there. But I think he still has a Steeler mentality so I honestly don't think he will coach there. I'd say he stays away from the AFC North and if it's a pro team, it would be Carolina. College.. NC State for sure.

But again, NC State had a decent year.. none to the likes that are calling for the coaches head. They went like 5-6 and had wins over three top 25 teams.. ECU, Wake and NC. I think O'Brien is safe for a while. I think he has a 7 year deal starting back in '06.

IMO, I don't care where he coaches. He's not a Steeler anymore so who cares. He choked more times with his predictable calls, so let him be predictable somewhere else. We definately had a few power house teams in the 90s with nothing to show for it but a few AFCC loses and a SB loss.

Stairwayto7
11-24-2008, 07:41 PM
I dont want to see him in cleveland. Not because I`m afraid he would help, just because I wouldn`t want to root against him, but I would. That team is light years away from being a winner, no matter who the coach is.

Black@Gold Forever32
11-24-2008, 08:09 PM
If they get BC all that means is we will beat them every year in the playoffs!!!......lol

My thoughts exactly.........lol We all know if Cowher became HC of the Browns and if he faced the Steelers in Pittsburgh in the AFC Championship game that Cowher will lose....He couldn't win AFC Title games in Pittsburgh to save his life....lol 1-4 career record.....lol

--- Added 11/24/2008 at 06:09 PM ---

Why would Bill Cowher ever coach in college?....I just don't think he would ever coach at the college ranks....It would be step backwards especially since he was a successful NFL HC and some owner will be willing to pay him a ton to coach their NFL team......

I also could careless if Cowher coached the Browns....Its his choice and I have moved on from Bill Cowher and really he doesn't mean a damn thing to me anymore...lolI know I don't want him back in Pittsburgh....lol....

Cowher was like a God his first six years with the team to me......But as time wore on I got so tired of the Chin.....I started calling for his firing after the first AFC title loss to the Pats...lol

Stairwayto7
11-24-2008, 08:09 PM
My thoughts exactly.........lol We all know if Cowher became HC of the Browns and if he faced the Steelers in Pittsburgh in the AFC Championship game that Cowher will lose....He couldn't win AFC Title games in Pittsburgh to save his life....lol 1-4 career record.....lol

He won twice! One with a SuperBowl loss, and another with a win!

Black@Gold Forever32
11-24-2008, 08:12 PM
He won twice! One with a SuperBowl loss, and another with a win!

I know Cleve, read my post carefully...I said AFC title games in Pittsburgh...He was 1-4 in Pittsburgh.....1-0 on the road......

Stairwayto7
11-25-2008, 07:35 AM
I know Cleve, read my post carefully...I said AFC title games in Pittsburgh...He was 1-4 in Pittsburgh.....1-0 on the road......

Shame on me! You are correct~

memphissteelergirl
11-25-2008, 10:46 AM
I don't think he is intersted in coaching anymore, he seems to be very happy and content commentating instead. I highly doubt he'll give up the freedom he has now to coach again, especially for Cleveland!! I just don't see it happening!

I agree, TSG. He's got a comfy gig at CBS. I don't see him giving it up either.

Ambridge
11-25-2008, 08:52 PM
Should Andy Reid get the boot out of Philly after the season the Eagles job could also be a possibility for Cowher.

He would already have a Dick Lebeau type of DC in place with Jim Johnson and Eagle fans would probably get the power-run type of offense they lack to complement Michael Westbrook.

Triple-S
11-30-2008, 01:27 PM
If Bill Cowher went to coach the Browns I honestly believe he would automatically lose his hometown-hero "Status" in Pittsburgh and would never be welcomed back.

Perhaps it just me, but I'd have a hard time if I were a Steeler fan hating a guy who pretty much helped mold the franchise into what it is today.

I can understand your viewpoint though. As this sort of thing happened to Cleveland a bunch of times.

Its odd to see on CBS pregame show they dropped a few subtle hints the last couple of weeks via them joking around with Bill. Not sure what to make of that. Money talks I suppose, and its sort of hard to turn down 8-9 million dollars "allegedly". I'd love to see Bill come back to Cleveland as much of the next guy, but you have to realize, this is CLEVELAND we're talking about, the only time something good has happened in the last 20-30 years was a ping-pong ball landing in the right place in 2004.

Zachintosh66
11-30-2008, 02:32 PM
check this... cowher09.com (http://www.cowher09.com)

Triple-S
11-30-2008, 02:45 PM
check this... cowher09.com (http://www.cowher09.com)

They featured a piece I wrote on bleacher report on there. I support what they're doing and wrote an email thanking them for using my piece, because I got a lot of page reads due to it.