PDA

View Full Version : Johnson Wants Bengals to Take More Chances

House of Steel
10-19-2006, 11:08 AM
Johnson Wants Bengals to Take More Chances
Pro Bowl Wideout Feels Like 'Sitting Duck' in Cincy
By JOE KAY
AP
CINCINNATI (Oct. 18) - Chad Johnson 's demeanor these days - no boasts, no guarantees, no trash talk whatsoever - matches the Cincinnati Bengals ' mundane offense. And the Pro Bowl receiver says it's time for both to change.

His solution: Throw caution to the wind and throw the ball long.

Johnson was practically demur on Wednesday, flat-out refusing to bait the Carolina Panthers who will cover him this weekend, or make any predictions how things will turn out.

Given the state of Cincinnati's offense, he couldn't even bring himself to brag.

"Stuff is not going the same way it did last year, to where I can come out and be bold," he said. "We're not playing bold. We're not playing aggressive. So I can't be aggressive. I've got to feel it.

"I can't come up and say, 'Man, we're going to go out and torch these guys,' and we go 75 plays in the game and have one explosive play. We're just not the aggressor right now."

Johnson thinks it's a matter of choice.

An offense that was one of the league's best last season has lost its bite. Cincinnati (3-2) has scored 13 points in each of its last two games, both of them losses. Johnson has scored only one touchdown in five games.

A lot of factors figure in: injuries to the offensive line; a receiving corps depleted by injury and Chris Henry 's suspension; Carson Palmer still working back into form after reconstructive knee surgery.

Johnson suggested for the first time Wednesday that play-calling is part of the problem. Johnson, who led the AFC in catches and yards last season, thinks the Bengals have allowed defenses to take away what they do best.

Cincy's Losing Ways Could Continue

From Johnson's perspective, that means throwing deep.

Until his 51-yard catch in the fourth quarter of a 14-13 loss at Tampa on Sunday, Johnson didn't have a catch longer than 18 yards. Defenses are dropping safeties deep in coverage this season, forcing Palmer to throw shorter passes to other receivers.

Johnson wants him to air it out anyway.

"That's what we did before, all the time," Johnson said. "Carson didn't care what defensive back or what safety was over the top. For what? Care for what? Just go make the play anyway."

His head coach doesn't share his assessment.

"Let Chad speak for himself, all right?" Lewis said, getting a rise out of the mention of his receiver's name. "No, I don't necessarily agree, because Chad has a very tainted view of things all the time.

"Greed is good. I think we would all like to make sure we continue to be aggressive, and I think that's all he's speaking to. But we're not going to be careless or foolish."

Lewis then added a little tweak of his own.

"As I said, we need to play better," Lewis said. "We need to take care of the football. We need to make sure we run the right route - OK? All right?"

Lewis went on to list all the recent mistakes on offense, but his point was already made. He, too, likes to throw the ball deep, but doesn't want Palmer doing it recklessly. So far, teams have been forcing the Bengals do to other things.

Palmer isn't surprised.

"In the offseason, everybody looked at every game we played last year," Palmer said. "They looked at our success and looked at games when we struggled and figured out what was what. They figured out how to play us. Teams have played us differently this year. We just need to keep evolving as an offense."

The way Johnson sees it, the Bengals need to go back in time. Specifically, he wants to go back to the time when they threw long and he ran his mouth.

"I can't be the aggressor with this right here," he said, pointing to his mouth, "when my approach and my play out there on Sunday is not aggressive at all. I can't. It's not matching up.

"Last year, I could be aggressive because I knew when I got up on Sunday, we were going to be the aggressive opponent. But right now, I can't take an aggressive approach with you guys, and then go out there and be a sitting duck and a decoration."

There he goes running his mouth again. This will sure stir the pot in the Jungleland. Sitting Duck you say, Chad? MORE LIKE THE UGLY DUCKLING, you damn fool. :lol: :banana:

Steelerlyn
10-19-2006, 01:32 PM
The Bengals are all talk.

SteelersfaninPhilly
10-19-2006, 01:41 PM
I hope the Bengals enjoy a 500 season.

suitanim
10-19-2006, 01:56 PM
Chad is being double covered now part of the time(just like Jerry Rice used to be, only Jerry was good enough to still get open), and he's been exposed as just an above average receiver. But I hope Lewis heeds his advaice him, and throws more bombs into double coverage.

BBG7
10-19-2006, 02:36 PM
Well what could he really say. We all know they think they are gods gift to the earth when it comes to offense and their theory is who need a D when you have such a powerful O...however, when that same offense has scored less that 14 points in the past 2 games...it kind of would have to leave you speechless!!!

BlitzburghRockCity
10-19-2006, 06:04 PM
Here's a chance the Bengals should consider taking...stop the damn run on defense and then your offense will have more chances to throw the ball. Chad Johnson is a douchebag !

CantStop85
10-22-2006, 10:16 PM
I hope the Bengals enjoy a 500 season.
They will...they'll enjoy the Steelers .500 season...that is if the Steelers can make it to .500.

SteelersfaninPhilly
10-22-2006, 10:57 PM
They will...they'll enjoy the Steelers .500 season...that is if the Steelers can make it to .500.

Don't you worry. We will get to 500 and then exceed it.

BengalBrian
10-23-2006, 01:11 AM
Haters

House of Steel
10-23-2006, 01:30 AM
I don't know Brian, the way things are going for us compare to the Bengals, I hate to say this, you guys are two up on us and looking good beating a hot Carolina team. DAMN!!!

BengalBrian
10-23-2006, 01:33 AM
I don't know Brian, the way things are going for us compare to the Bengals, I hate to say this, you guys are two up on us and looking good beating a hot Carolina team. DAMN!!!

Still a lot of questions about the bengals.. But man.. I think Marvin gave the oline super steroids in the locker room at half.. It was night and day.. Carson was gettin pummelled in the first half.. Got sacked once in the second.. And the blitzed were getting picked up..

None the less, word is Braham will be out for 4 more weeks.. And Levi may miss another... We get Thug Henry back next week though and today we had Dexter Jackson and Chris Perry back...

Injuries suck... Changes everything.. I hope our guys stay healthy now as they trickle back in

Black@Gold Forever32
10-23-2006, 01:37 AM
Still a lot of questions about the bengals.. But man.. I think Marvin gave the oline super steroids in the locker room at half.. It was night and day.. Carson was gettin pummelled in the first half.. Got sacked once in the second.. And the blitzed were getting picked up..

None the less, word is Braham will be out for 4 more weeks.. And Levi may miss another... We get Thug Henry back next week though and today we had Dexter Jackson and Chris Perry back...

Injuries suck... Changes everything.. I hope our guys stay healthy now as they trickle back in

Brian I'll gladly traee your questions at 4-2 for the Steelers questions at 2-4 bro. Damn impressive win by the Bengals today. Total props to them for beating a tough Panthers team without Levi Jones and the starting center. His names slips my mind at the moment. The Steelers can't play consistent football and its getting annoying.

Steelx
10-23-2006, 08:47 AM
4th and 1 going deep to Chad I believe is taking chances.

The Bengals could end up winner in this division because I do not think the Rats have a chance and now that the Steelers have fallen to 2-4 it will be a tough road to climb. As long as the Clowns or the Ratbirds win the division I will be good with it.

House of Steel
10-23-2006, 11:57 AM
Oh please, X, if Cleveland won the division, we would be seeing hell break loose in this town. Oh I can't bare the thoughts of these Clowns going around bragging.

CantStop85
10-23-2006, 08:42 PM

I was encouraged by the defense...limiting the Panthers to 14 points is impressive, especially with 0 points in the second half. I believe as guys return from injury, the team can only get better.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-23-2006, 09:01 PM
You guys have all the tools on offense to be a quality playoff team. You also have a decent pass defense. You're downfall as I see looking in from the outside is still the inability to consistently stop the run. When you get into december and January if you can't stop the run it's all over. Just my :2cents:

BengalBrian
10-24-2006, 01:22 AM
Brian I'll gladly traee your questions at 4-2 for the Steelers questions at 2-4 bro. Damn impressive win by the Bengals today. Total props to them for beating a tough Panthers team without Levi Jones and the starting center. His names slips my mind at the moment. The Steelers can't play consistent football and its getting annoying.
Richie Braham... It was a hell of a game.. I picked us to lose in all my pickems..

4th and 1 going deep to Chad I believe is taking chances.

The Bengals could end up winner in this division because I do not think the Rats have a chance and now that the Steelers have fallen to 2-4 it will be a tough road to climb. As long as the Clowns or the Ratbirds win the division I will be good with it.
This division is between us.. I wouldnt be all that worried about your D.. And now you have shown your offense can be extremely explosive.. You have Bengalitus.. You only get one side playing good ball per game.. lol Seriously though, I thought the Steelers would fall hard this year due to lack of offense.. I dont think that and now I am more worried than last week about the Steelers competing for the division.. The defense had an offweek.. I wouldnt be concerned about it that much though if I were a Steelers fan.. But since I am a Bengals fan, I am still very concerned about your Defense.. Its good...

You guys have all the tools on offense to be a quality playoff team. You also have a decent pass defense. You're downfall as I see looking in from the outside is still the inability to consistently stop the run. When you get into december and January if you can't stop the run it's all over. Just my :2cents:
True that.. Tackling looked pretty decent against the Panthers.. We always have men in the way.. They just cant seem to wrap up the runner though.. That is improving week to week... With the exception of the completely and udderly pathetic showing against LoMo for NE...