PDA

View Full Version : Do we have the worst special teams in the NFL?

Stairwayto7
11-19-2008, 05:50 AM
Jeff Reed seems to be the only bright spot, and sometimes his kickoffs aren`t so great. But our punting may be the worst, although we are on the 3rd punter. Our snapping, we have to hold our breathe and pray. Our kick off coverage is another Hold your Breathe and Pray. And we play musical chairs with our return men, and none of them are great. We need a guy that runs North and South, and gets up field. I hate cleveland but j cribbs, gets the ball upfield on punts and kickoffs, and he gets more tackles on special teams than anyone else in the NFL. We need help next season.

JensK
11-19-2008, 06:54 AM
You know, the worst thing is, it's been improved alot from last year! We havnt given up a return TD yet this season have we?

SteelerNC
11-19-2008, 07:53 AM
If we dont, we are dam near close.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-19-2008, 07:59 AM
Glenn, are you smoking something man? :lol: Our coverage units are awesome this year, they are stopping everybody in their tracks and really getting after the ball carrier. It's head and shoulders 100% better than last year.

Jeff Reed is making every FG he attempts almost and generally his kickoffs are landing around the 5 or closer to the endzone so he's gotten better at that. On sunday in the snow they weren't so good but with that wind and weather I can't fault him for that.

Our kickoff return game does need help, Davenport was worthless but he's gone now. I Russel might be the spark we need to jump start that. With Holmes or Moore back there returning punts that is getting alittle better too.

BR7
11-19-2008, 10:17 AM
Russell is better to have back there than Dookie, but c'mon. Russell returning kicks? You can't tell me there isn't atleast 3 or 4 others on the roster that would be better in that positon than Russell.

Where's Ricardo Colclough when you need him :lol: :lol:

AZ_Steeler
11-19-2008, 11:22 AM
You know, the worst thing is, it's been improved alot from last year! We havnt given up a return TD yet this season have we?

knock on wood!!!

I've been pleased so far this year... especially with the coverage unit because they have come a long way from just a couple years ago.

ejsteeler
11-19-2008, 11:27 AM
knock on wood!!!

I've been pleased so far this year... especially with the coverage unit because they have come a long way from just a couple years ago.

:ditto:

My concern, as is the same as most here, is the offense finding their identity and executing. If we can put that together in the next game or two, it will be a nice year.:yesnod:

BlitzburghRockCity
11-19-2008, 11:35 AM
Dallas Baker is back on the PS now and he was a return man in college wasn't he? Doesn't help us much at this point though. Really other than Moore and Holmes and Russel there's nobody else that can return kicks on our team. Oh I think Davis can return kicks too.

HUNT4SEVEN
11-19-2008, 11:41 AM
Our Special Teams unit has been Consistent all year:yellowthumb:, were not making the big splash plays on our return or kickoffs, but we haven't given up an Big game changing plays either:tt02:, It's because of our Defense an Special Teams that we are 7-3:clap::clap:, The problem we are having with Special Teams is we are not Blocking people on the returns or kickoffs:rant2:, if they start blocking people Special Teams could be another area where we score some points:yellowthumb::imho:

memphissteelergirl
11-19-2008, 11:52 AM
Our Special Teams unit has been Consistent all year:yellowthumb:, were not making the big splash plays on our return or kickoffs, but we haven't given up an Big game changing plays either:tt02:, It's because of our Defense an Special Teams that we are 7-3:clap::clap:, The problem we are having with Special Teams is we are not Blocking people on the returns or kickoffs:rant2:, if they start blocking people Special Teams could be another area where we score some points:yellowthumb::imho:

:plus1:

LatrobePA
11-19-2008, 12:22 PM
I think our O is far worse than our ST's play!!

jpele
11-19-2008, 01:10 PM
I think our O is far worse than our ST's play!!

Sad but true.

K Train
11-19-2008, 01:56 PM
oh please its not even close to being the worst, its not even in the bottom half, our coverage units have been sick, you dont need to have a return man go 80 yards everytime he touches it to have a solid unit, we dont have the personnel for that. sepulveda going out hurt the punting game bad but our defense is ****ing sick that we dont feel the repercussions of punting that leaves some to be desired. our kicker is automatic and our coverage is better than ive ever seen it, and yet you say its the worse....please

Stairwayto7
11-19-2008, 04:11 PM
I knew this would cause some controversy here! LOL

I did say that, I understand we are on our third punter.

It just feels like Reed has been kicking off short, so that we have a chance.

Also, I`m not asking for 80 TD kickoff returns, like KTrain pointed out. But it would be nice to look like you have a chance to break one. It never seems like we have speed back there? Davenport was home delivering newspapers, then we sign him, and he is automatically our return man??? Doesn`t say much for our return game.

Dee Mca
11-19-2008, 04:20 PM
With way our D plays we don't need a good punt returner. Since we getting the ball most times around the 35 or better. Our KO team is sick as well. No big returns yet. Punting we r on our 3rd punter this year and 2nd snapper. We need to not worry about the special teams and worry about the stupid OFFENSIVE playcalling. Some of it is just stupid!!!!

K Train
11-19-2008, 04:45 PM
im just saying were not in bad shape at all, while alot of teams are...this year isnt the year to bitch about special teams we are winning when it comes to field position. moore and russell arent gonna take it to the house, but they will hold on to the ball and push through the pile...all you can ask of a return man is to hold on to the ball and give 100% and we got that, maybe someday we will have a devin hester or josh cribbs, those guys arent easy to find...it does **** me off that the bills have mckelvin, parrish and mcgee who are all elite returners to me

Stairwayto7
11-19-2008, 05:05 PM
im just saying were not in bad shape at all, while alot of teams are...this year isnt the year to bitch about special teams we are winning when it comes to field position. moore and russell arent gonna take it to the house, but they will hold on to the ball and push through the pile...all you can ask of a return man is to hold on to the ball and give 100% and we got that, maybe someday we will have a devin hester or josh cribbs, those guys arent easy to find...it does **** me off that the bills have mckelvin, parrish and mcgee who are all elite returners to me

Not argueing that! I agree! Like my thread, I asked if we were the worse? After everyone pointing out our successes, maybe I doubted us to early. Although the first time we played the browns, cribbs wasn`t healthy

K Train
11-19-2008, 05:14 PM
he'll never do what he did to us last year again...we wont allow it

Steel Trap86
11-19-2008, 05:57 PM
our kick return game is terrible, i cant even remember the last time we got big return. we need a reggie bush or devin hester back there lol

:cope:

BlackGold4vr
11-19-2008, 11:12 PM
I say no to that question. Here is why:

* No doubt our temp punter is no D-Sep. I miss D-Sep's booming punts and the 4.5-5.0 second hang times. But the kick coverage teams have done a great job getting to the returner fast and making the tackles. I can remember the not too distant past when we held our breath on every return.

* Reid has done a nice job kicking as well. He has made some clutch FG's and most of the time gets the ball close to the opponents goal line on his kick-offs.

* Despite our lack of an explosive punt and kick-off return guy at least the guys who are filling that roll have fielded the ball cleanly and not had the dropsies like Willie Reid or fumbled any kicks

* We actually have some blocked kicks (FG and a punt) this year. When was the last time we did that in recent memory?

* I am not happy about the lack of a return game but if we had to have a weakness on our special teams thats not a terrible one to have.

:2cents:

Black@Gold Forever32
11-19-2008, 11:34 PM
Glenn, are you smoking something man? :lol: Our coverage units are awesome this year, they are stopping everybody in their tracks and really getting after the ball carrier. It's head and shoulders 100% better than last year.

Jeff Reed is making every FG he attempts almost and generally his kickoffs are landing around the 5 or closer to the endzone so he's gotten better at that. On sunday in the snow they weren't so good but with that wind and weather I can't fault him for that.

Our kickoff return game does need help, Davenport was worthless but he's gone now. I Russel might be the spark we need to jump start that. With Holmes or Moore back there returning punts that is getting alittle better too.

I agree the coverage units are much better this year and are not a weakness anymore.....Skippy Reed is the man period.....Our punting game has been ravaged with injuries so really hard to blame the punting game right now....Plus we lost our freaking long snapper....lol

The kick and punt return units are still a joke......But the Steelers could send more punt blocks to open up something for Holmes or Moore just once....A kick returner is still a need and I think the blocking could be better to set up the returners.....

JensK
11-20-2008, 04:02 AM
I've been thinking a little, and i came to the conclussion: As long as we don't give up any ST TD's we don't really have to score any. As long as we don't give up a big gain on ST and give them great FP (our o-line is doing just fine there!), then we don't need to get the best FP everytime.

As long as we are equal on ST, then our defence and offence should be able to take care of the rest :)

Stairwayto7
11-20-2008, 08:46 PM
Finally a nice return