PDA

View Full Version : "THE SLEDGEHAMMER"

Iron City South
11-17-2008, 09:19 PM
Finally .... .it finally happened.

Arians read my post and said, "Damn, ICS has a point here ... I'm going to give Gary "Sledgehammer" Russell a crack at moving the chains on 3rd and short situations since he's the most stout back we have!" :cope:

Is this the game in which they finally found out that they've got a Sledgehammer running back named Russell who busts holes into concrete walls?

Russell has deceiving speed, great lower body strength, and he keeps his pads low (low center of gravity) which allows him to run through people. In that way he reminds me of Michael Turner although Turner has better speed. You get a team bunched up at the line of scrimmage and he creates a hole and demolishes a safety, he may be rumbling for a bunch more yards.

While I'm still a bit peeved that it took them so long to figure this out, I'm glad they finally got it together and gave Russell his due. Russell is a good weapon to have going down the stretch as the weather worsens and the field conditions deteriorate. :yesnod:

When the goal line is calling .... It's time to break out

"The Sledgehammer"

http://mfinley.com/gif/sledgehammer.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqyc37aOqT0

BlitzburghRockCity
11-17-2008, 09:30 PM
Im loving Russel on those 3rd and shorts, I'd like to see him on the goal line too and watch him power it in. The dude has really just been getting better and better the more experience he gets. We're lucky we got him back after cutting him before.

HUNT4SEVEN
11-17-2008, 10:48 PM
My only question is why did he have to wait untill week 10 to get in the game?:dunno:Besides that he's an beast at kickoff returns:tt02::yellowthumb:

DBR96A
11-18-2008, 12:04 AM
From this point on I better see #33 and #38 lined up together in the backfield in all short-yardage and goal-line situations.

DIESELMAN
11-18-2008, 09:02 AM
Is this the game in which they finally found out that they've got a Sledgehammer running back named Russell who busts holes into concrete walls?

Don't hold your breath, how much you want to bet that Arians forgets about Russell in the next couple of games? Thats par for the course for ole Brucey boy. Instead of keeping what works and adding to it, he comes up with game plans without the plays that work and calls the most boneheaded **** we've ever seen. Sad, very sad.....

snowman79
11-18-2008, 09:50 AM
Dieselman once again you hit the nail on the head (so to speak) what is the bet Airhead leaves him on the bench when we have a 3rd and short situation, how many games this season have we needed short yardage and the man to get us that yardage is sat on the bench. I just hope he sees sense for the teams sake and give the guy the nod when needed #33 & #38 that should be our short yardage backfield no questions asked.

Lets give this guy a chance and see what he can do !!!!

jpele
11-18-2008, 10:25 AM
Well I don't want to spoil it for you, but I just read an article that it was Tomlins idea to use Russell. They didn't want to take a chance on Willies shoulder on short yardage plays and Moore was getting stuffed, so Russell was next in line.

Sad to say but if Parkers shoulder is 100% we probably seen the last of Gary Russell. This is one reason I get pissed with Tomlin, his own words were: " we're going to spread the load so we are healthy come December" Willie returns and Russell get 2 carries Moore gets 1.

I sure hope I'm wrong, because I'd like to see what Gary could do with 12 - 15 carries, we also need more two back sets.

memphissteelergirl
11-18-2008, 11:02 AM
I'd like to see what Gary could do with 12 - 15 carries, we also need more two back sets.

I agree with you 100 percent on that :yellowthumb:

Before Mendy got hurt I was hoping we would see him and FWP in more two-man backfield situations.

Iron City South
11-22-2008, 11:24 PM
NOTHING BUT SLEDGE .....

http://mfinley.com/gif/sledgehammer.jpg
GARY RUSSELL .... THE SLEDGEHAMMER!

.... looks like somebody found his niche

When it's 3rd and short, time for the power "I" and also time for "THE SLEDGE" ... :clubbed:

BlitzburghRockCity
11-23-2008, 12:19 PM
Well I don't want to spoil it for you, but I just read an article that it was Tomlins idea to use Russell. They didn't want to take a chance on Willies shoulder on short yardage plays and Moore was getting stuffed, so Russell was next in line.

Sad to say but if Parkers shoulder is 100% we probably seen the last of Gary Russell. This is one reason I get pissed with Tomlin, his own words were: " we're going to spread the load so we are healthy come December" Willie returns and Russell get 2 carries Moore gets 1.

I sure hope I'm wrong, because I'd like to see what Gary could do with 12 - 15 carries, we also need more two back sets.

Tomlin said also, I can't remember where I heard it I think it was in the post game press conference 2 weeks ago that he's liking what he's seen of Russel in short yardage and thinks they have stumbled onto something and he's liking the results. FWP would be the one that might have a problem with it though if Russel continues to come in so that is something to keep an eye on.