PDA

View Full Version : Troy Polamalu or James Harrison...

Stairwayto7
11-17-2008, 06:22 PM
....... as the Steelers defensive MVP, so far this season? This is a tough call. Harrisons accomplishments are obvious, with the sack totals. Troy helps our defense almost every play, he has to be accounted for each and every play.

I have to go with a tie! Also Woodley is sneaking up on them also.

Who do you like thus far?

blackngold29
11-17-2008, 07:05 PM
So far I'd pick Harrison. Polamalu's has two interceptions that we should be watching in ten years from now, but Harrison is second in the league in sacks (behind The Boot) and I think he's more of a leader.

Not to brag, but if somebody would've asked this question before the season they would've been shot down. A lot of people hated Troy, I am proud to say I didn't.

SteelerSal
11-17-2008, 07:14 PM
I would say they equally deserve to share it.

Silverback 92
11-17-2008, 07:15 PM
#92 got my vote

Brady Quinn
11-17-2008, 07:26 PM
HARRISON SHOULD BE CONSIDERED LEAGUE D MVP

scott0326
11-17-2008, 07:27 PM
Id have to go with Harrison, he has been amazing all year, but Polamalu has played great as well, I'm glad Steelers have em both.

KSSteelerfan
11-17-2008, 07:39 PM
After last nights game I would have to say that they both deserve it equally. However, having said that that interception of Harrisons was a beaut. And for the record that last fumble that was picked up by troy should have counted as a TD.

DIESELMAN
11-17-2008, 08:11 PM
I'd have to say Silverback, with Troy a close 2nd. Just imagine his stats for the season if he wasn't held as much as he is. :cope: :cope: :cope:

Zachintosh66
11-17-2008, 08:13 PM
Harrison hands down... should be NFL Def Player of Year too!

BlitzburghNation
11-17-2008, 08:24 PM
Polamalu,,,,, :clap: But like everyone's been saying,Glad we have both of them :bigthumb:

Troy is an amazing athlete and he seems to always be around the ball and that interception yesterday was incredible :clap:

Black@Gold Forever32
11-17-2008, 08:31 PM
Its not even close for me.......Tom to answer your question about Harrison's stat line if he wasn't held constantly...I believe Harrison would have 20 sacks......Harrison should be the Def Player of the Year and the Team MVP this year....So my vote goes to James Harrison...Over double digit sacks with an INT, and some forced fumbles.....Harrison's safety and INT both were clutch plays yesterday and really those two plays won the game for the Steelers....

SteelersWoman
11-17-2008, 09:27 PM
James pretty much does it all--even long snapping...NOT!! lol

They're both playing great, but James (overall) would have to get my vote. And as Brady said, it wouldn't surprise me if he'd get defensive MVP of the year because of his completeness. He deserves that recognition after all the non-holding calls!!

Stairwayto7
11-17-2008, 09:30 PM
If its possible, I agree with everyone. Troy doesn`t get the stats, but he doesn`t play your typical safety position.
Harrison is a beast and Woodley compliments him so well

BlitzburghRockCity
11-17-2008, 10:33 PM
Silverback is going to get the defensive player of the year no question in my mind, the guy has that motor that just doesn't quit and he's so compact and powerful that he can blow up any OT he plays against.

Troy is really having an outstanding year and man do we need him bad, he's become the leader we needed and the roaming, big hitting Polamalu is back in a big way!

blackngold29
11-17-2008, 11:54 PM
James pretty much does it all--even long snapping...NOT!! lol

Lol, if he would've pulled that snap off he should have the MVP for sure.

Dee Mca
11-18-2008, 03:47 AM
#92 all the way just a beast on D. sacks,ints,ff, blocked kicks safities.......Give him the MVP for trying that snap. After playing like a beast for an entire they expected him to slow down and make that snap. Something he probably never did in practice.

SteelerNC
11-18-2008, 09:53 AM
Lol, if he would've pulled that snap off he should have the MVP for sure.

maybe troy should try long snapping too :)

snowman79
11-18-2008, 10:54 AM
Harrison just, but Troy is right there behind him there is a long way to go but i am just glad they both wear Black N' Gold

K Train
11-18-2008, 02:13 PM
its woodley, harrison is a great player but he missed woodley sooooo much when he was out against the colts. harrison has more sacks than woodley because of woodley.

troy has been playing great but so has our whole secondary because our LBs are sick

JensK
11-18-2008, 02:51 PM
Woodley/Harrison should get it imo... They compliment each other really great, and the one that gets the sack is the one that is not doubleteamed >.> seriously, they both make so big match-up problems, that the defence will have to concider which they'd least want to one-on-one with. They can't double team both.. Hampton and Smith is to strong for that.

K Train
11-18-2008, 04:03 PM
give keisel some credit too, its not just hampton and smith...who are both the best at their positions imo. but keisel has really learned the position well...but that being said the 34 begins and ends with the LBs and we got the best, i know harrison really gets the most credit but i would have a hard time picking which one is actually better

JensK
11-18-2008, 04:08 PM
give keisel some credit too, its not just hampton and smith...who are both the best at their positions imo. but keisel has really learned the position well...but that being said the 34 begins and ends with the LBs and we got the best, i know harrison really gets the most credit but i would have a hard time picking which one is actually better

Yeah Keisel had a really good game against Chargers... 6 solo tackles and a sack i believe? Never the less he was playing a really good game, for sure, and his been solid.. I just don't think he is creating the same match-up problems as Smith and Hampton on the line..

K Train
11-18-2008, 04:11 PM
no not at all but hes at least being productive, he has always been kinda undersized and 34 lineman arent born overnight, it took smith a few years and hes the best and regarded around the league as being the best. not to mention eason isnt completely awful anymore

Black@Gold Forever32
11-18-2008, 05:15 PM
its woodley, harrison is a great player but he missed woodley sooooo much when he was out against the colts. harrison has more sacks than woodley because of woodley.

troy has been playing great but so has our whole secondary because our LBs are sick

I can't argue against Woodley......I agree he was missed against the Colts big time and if Woodley had played then there would have been some serious heat on Peyton....But my pick is still Harrison......He is second on the team in tackles, first in sacks, has forced 4 fumbles, picked off a Rivers pass at a key moment, also had a safety against the Chargers....Harrison won the game really with those two plays....When you make plays like that it just shows how important he is to the team.....

As for Brett Keisel....He is so under rated its not even funny....He is having a solid season no doubt.....The enitre DL has been bad *** this year....even the backups.....Nick Eason has improved and has two sacks...lol Of course we all knew how good Chris Hoke was....2004 proved what kind of player Hoke was.....

K Train
11-18-2008, 05:24 PM
but harrison had a career game the game woodley gets back...i love harrison, hes been one of my favorite players since he filled in for farrior against the chargers a few years ago and hurdled LT on the int return...im just saying he didnt have this kind of season when bum *** haggans was across from him. Woodley and harrison are just sick together and they both do work all over the field

Black@Gold Forever32
11-18-2008, 06:14 PM
but harrison had a career game the game woodley gets back...i love harrison, hes been one of my favorite players since he filled in for farrior against the chargers a few years ago and hurdled LT on the int return...im just saying he didnt have this kind of season when bum *** haggans was across from him. Woodley and harrison are just sick together and they both do work all over the field

Harrison has been a fav of mine since he filled in for Joey Porter and kicked *** when Porter was ejected in a pre-game fight with William Greene against the Browns....I think that was the 2004 season....Can't believe that was 4 years ago already....

I agree with you about Woodley and even stated that Woodley was missed against Colts...You don't have to remind me that Haggans was sorry last year and what two great pass rushing OLBs do for a 3-4 defense....I grew up watching Lloyd/Greene then of course Porter/Gildon....Of course Woodley makes James Harrison that much dangerous....But Harrison is still making an INT and safety at crucial times....That is just pure clutch on Harrison and is the reason why I would take Harrison over Woodley....

Woodley's time will come....He is only in his second year and will only get better....Which is scary to think.....Woodley even has shown vast improvement in his coverage skills....He is a bad *** for sure....No argument here.......

Steelers better resign both before they become free agents....Of course Wood will be restricted after his rookie deal.....But Harrison will be an unrestricted FA when his current deal is up.....Which I think is either 2009 or 2010.....

Steelers70
11-18-2008, 06:24 PM
Silverback with an honorable mention of Woodley. Troy had a great game this past Sunday, but this season isn't even close to his best overall. And consider this... Harrison has 12 sacks this season while also being held nearly every play. That's amazing in any circumstance.

-Steelers70

Dean Denton
11-18-2008, 07:35 PM
This is tough. I think an OC has to game plan more around Troy than he does Harrison. So I say Troy. Plus, Troy has the better hair. Also he has 2 INTs this year that we have never seen done before, and unless its done by Troy, you wont see a 3rd. The guy stands alone when it comes to being a bad *** on that football field. I have not heard anyone say anything about Harrison Island like the comercial for Troy.

Stlrs4Life
11-18-2008, 07:39 PM
Harrison by far. Sacks, motor is constantly moving.

K Train
11-18-2008, 08:34 PM
This is tough. I think an OC has to game plan more around Troy than he does Harrison. So I say Troy. Plus, Troy has the better hair. Also he has 2 INTs this year that we have never seen done before, and unless its done by Troy, you wont see a 3rd. The guy stands alone when it comes to being a bad *** on that football field. I have not heard anyone say anything about Harrison Island like the comercial for Troy.

troy has 4 picks, harrison and woodley both have one

the guy stands alone when it comes to being a badass on the field? is that a joke?

harrison has 12 sacks, a int, 4 passes defended, a safety, and 4 forced fumbles

woodley has 9.5 sacks, an int, a TD, 3 passes defended, 2 forced fumbles and 3 fumble recoveries

Stairwayto7
11-19-2008, 06:45 AM
Keisel, has been playing excellent. He is so under rated.

I cannot argue with anybody who thinks that Harrison is the MVP right now, I would have to agree, although I`m sure Joey Porter might argue that. As for Troy, I think he has the Qb`s changing the plays and causing more disruption that you`ll ever see on paper. Most of his game he doesn`t get credit for.

Dean Denton
11-19-2008, 12:04 PM
troy has 4 picks, harrison and woodley both have one

the guy stands alone when it comes to being a badass on the field? is that a joke?

harrison has 12 sacks, a int, 4 passes defended, a safety, and 4 forced fumbles

woodley has 9.5 sacks, an int, a TD, 3 passes defended, 2 forced fumbles and 3 fumble recoveries
Who would you rather have Troy or Harrison?

ejsteeler
11-19-2008, 12:29 PM
screw picking, I want them both!!!! :lol: :cope:

K Train
11-19-2008, 02:22 PM
Who would you rather have Troy or Harrison?

harrison and its not even close

ejsteeler
11-19-2008, 02:57 PM
If I had to pick, I think I would pick Troy. Reason is, we seem to have the ability to find and groom great LB's consistently. Finding and grooming a safety like Troy does not happen often. :2cents:

K Train
11-19-2008, 03:00 PM
If I had to pick, I think I would pick Troy. Reason is, we seem to have the ability to find and groom great LB's consistently. Finding and grooming a safety like Troy does not happen often. :2cents:

but our current defense and ones before are built on the LBs and not the safety. we would do fine with anthony smith at SS. we might be able to groom no name Lbs to great ones but do we have any of those guys on our roster now? i dont think so, we dont have the #1 defense without harrison plain and simple

Stairwayto7
11-19-2008, 05:12 PM
screw picking, I want them both!!!! :lol: :cope:

Agreed!

steelcitysfinestXL
11-19-2008, 11:43 PM
Both players deserve to be #'s 1 & 2 in Defensive MVP bith on this team and maybe in this league. Its just so hard to go against Silver back because when he makes a play its Huge. Its so sick how our whole LB corp is in competition to get to the QB on every down.

Troy does alot of intangebles that probley dont show up when it comes to voting (ex: covering guys like Dallas Clark, K2 and the likes) I just love the effort dude gives every single second he's on the field.

Ktrain makes a great point with Woodley too, he is a major spark plug for this Defense. He can cover, play the run and his pass rush abilities are top notch. But if he gets the first sack early, it pushes Harrison, Potsy and even Timmons even harder. Is he MVP status!?!? If he finishes the season with equal or more sacks than Silverback he'll get my nod due to the fact that he is what Harrison was last year.... obviously its MVP material!!

ejsteeler
11-20-2008, 12:39 PM
but our current defense and ones before are built on the LBs and not the safety. we would do fine with anthony smith at SS. we might be able to groom no name Lbs to great ones but do we have any of those guys on our roster now? i dont think so, we dont have the #1 defense without harrison plain and simple

We didn't do fine without Troy before but, I can't deny we wouldn't be #1 without James.

JensK
11-20-2008, 01:30 PM
We didn't do fine without Troy before but, I can't deny we wouldn't be #1 without James.

We were number one overall on defence last year, and troy didnt do much >.> (and that was a nice way to put it!)

Dean Denton
11-20-2008, 01:42 PM
Well the Def fell apart last year when Aaron smith went out so maybe we are looking at the wrong to guys for MVP. Our run Def went down the crapper when we lost Aaron.

JensK
11-20-2008, 01:44 PM
Well the Def fell apart last year when Aaron smith went out so maybe we are looking at the wrong to guys for MVP. Our run Def went down the crapper when we lost Aaron.

Most certainly, but he'd never become MVP. He is not "shiny" enough for that. But you could argue, that we lost our preasure on the QB when we lost Woodley aswell, even though it was only one week, so i guees that a key LB is as bad as a key lineman

Stairwayto7
11-20-2008, 05:00 PM
It seems Casey gets most of the credit, in the National Media, as far as our defensive line goes. But A.Smith, Keisel, and Hoke are all studs

Dean Denton
11-20-2008, 05:07 PM
It seems Casey gets most of the credit, in the National Media, as far as our defensive line goes. But A.Smith, Keisel, and Hoke are all studs
Just think how good we would be in a 4-3 with Hoke and Hampton out there at the same time. Talk about Steel Curtain...dude. I get pretty smashed during the games, so I dont pay attention sometimes to detail. Do we ever run that formation with those guys?

TrojanHorse
11-20-2008, 06:27 PM
Polamalu....

......and yes, I'm a homer! :cope:

Stairwayto7
11-20-2008, 06:38 PM
Just think how good we would be in a 4-3 with Hoke and Hampton out there at the same time. Talk about Steel Curtain...dude. I get pretty smashed during the games, so I dont pay attention sometimes to detail. Do we ever run that formation with those guys?

LOL! No! We usually have less than three linemen!

Richmond Rukus
11-21-2008, 10:49 AM

A. Smith gets my game ball for last nights game. I think he had 3 passes batted down, and great line play as usual. It will be a real shame if he does not get pro bowl recognition this season.

Stairwayto7
11-21-2008, 11:44 AM
A. Smith gets my game ball for last nights game. I think he had 3 passes batted down, and great line play as usual. It will be a real shame if he does not get pro bowl recognition this season.

hard to argue that!

K Train
11-21-2008, 01:41 PM

which would take alot of speed off the field by either making us bench a DB or a LB and all we would be doing is taking away a pass rush and adding another fat dude to an already stingy run defense....were better running a 34

ejsteeler
11-21-2008, 02:14 PM
which would take alot of speed off the field by either making us bench a DB or a LB and all we would be doing is taking away a pass rush and adding another fat dude to an already stingy run defense....were better running a 34

:hilarious:

Dean Denton
11-21-2008, 02:33 PM
Yeah I thought about that. this is a Def built on speed, and we are good enough at stuffing the run. 3-4 has better athletes on the field. It was just a thought because the Pats have done that in the past, and won a couple SB doing it. Mostly on 1st or 2nd down.

SteelersWoman
11-22-2008, 03:25 AM
I think it's great that we've got SO many we could choose from that we have a hard time deciding...we're blessed to have so much talent (and Coach LeBeau) :D

Steelerlyn
11-22-2008, 04:35 AM
I think it's great that we've got SO many we could choose from that we have a hard time deciding...we're blessed to have so much talent (and Coach LeBeau) :D

#43 & what she said :yellowthumb:

Stairwayto7
11-22-2008, 09:05 AM
43 has to be picking up some votes for defensive MVP.
As far as the Steelers go!
1.) Harison
2.) Troy
3.) is a tie A.Smith and Woodley

Axeman
11-22-2008, 09:12 AM
wow, do we really have to pick just 1, Troy has been playin great ball and so has Harrison, I think they should share it. but who am I to say.

Stairwayto7
11-22-2008, 09:14 AM
wow, do we really have to pick just 1, Troy has been playin great ball and so has Harrison, I think they should share it. but who am I to say.

It does suck to NOT vote for some of these guys

Axeman
11-22-2008, 09:18 AM
It does suck to NOT vote for some of these guys

yeah, I mean the whole Defensive team has been playin great in whole. everyone has been stepping it up and it's a shame that there can be only one.

K Train
11-22-2008, 07:52 PM
is troy really tied for the lead in interceptions...honestly at this point id apologize to his face about all the mean things i said about him...they were true but damn he got his head out of his *** this season and earned his pay

DIESELMAN
11-22-2008, 07:59 PM
is troy really tied for the lead in interceptions...honestly at this point id apologize to his face about all the mean things i said about him...they were true but damn he got his head out of his *** this season and earned his pay

Yeah, he's tied with Woodson and Collins with 5. Thats kind of low for this time of the season, usually someone has at least 8-9 INT's by now.

Black@Gold Forever32
11-22-2008, 08:02 PM
Troy already has tied his career high with 5 INTs....He is having a very good season and I'm not sorry for the things I said about Troy.....They were true at the time....Now he has redeemed himself and he is earning that contract he received last year......

DIESELMAN
11-22-2008, 08:05 PM
Troy already has tied his career high with 5 INTs....He is having a very good season and I'm not sorry for the things I said about Troy.....They were true at the time....Now he has redeemed himself and he is earning that contract he received last year......

:plus1: Right on Bro!!!

Stairwayto7
11-30-2008, 08:50 PM
Damn, How do you choose? We have the best 1-2-3 punch in the NFL. Troy, Harrison, and Woodley.

I vote for a co-MVP season Troy and Harrison. Harrison had one unbelievable game, it wasn`t two sacks, it was two sacks for fumbles, TURNOVERS. Harrison is sick!

Black@Gold Forever32
11-30-2008, 08:54 PM
Nothing against Troy since he is having a great year in his own right....But James Harrison time and time again comes through with multiple big plays in a game......He is the NFL Defensive Player Of The Year........

Stairwayto7
11-30-2008, 08:59 PM
Nothing against Troy since he is having a great year in his own right....But James Harrison time and time again comes through with multiple big plays in a game......He is the NFL Defensive Player Of The Year........

Hard to argue that!

Black@Gold Forever32
11-30-2008, 09:09 PM
Hard to argue that!

You know whats scary Cleve is the light bulb in Lawrence Timmons head is starting to come on.......He is getting more comfortable and better each game......If he starts playing lights out like Harrison,Woodley,Troy then this defense can't be stopped....Especially with the DL playing their asses off each game.....The DL is really the unsung hero of this team......

BlackGold4vr
11-30-2008, 09:27 PM

Finally, something we can agree on. He was a beast today and should be this weeks ironman hands down.
:yesnod:

BlitzburghRockCity
11-30-2008, 09:52 PM
Back to back strip sacks is just a thing of beauty, if Harrison doesn't get the Def. POTY it's a complete travesty. At the very least he should share it with Haynesworth.

And Troy I mean what can you say, the guy is doing everything we're used to seeing and man is he ever coming up HUGE for us every game.

SteelerBee43
12-01-2008, 02:10 AM
I like them both so hard decision..

Prosdo
12-01-2008, 04:32 AM
I kinda have to agree with K here. I think Harrison and Woodley should get it. It's because of that combo of the two that they are doing so well. I know Troy has played well, but that LB tandem has been monstrous for us this year. I think those two deserve it much more than Troy does.

SteelerFan87
12-01-2008, 02:53 PM
Really tough call. Harrison has been just an absolute beast, but Troy is having probably the best year of his career. They're both all over the place making plays. Really tough call.

kgreen
12-01-2008, 03:20 PM
You know whats scary Cleve is the light bulb in Lawrence Timmons head is starting to come on.......He is getting more comfortable and better each game......If he starts playing lights out like Harrison,Woodley,Troy then this defense can't be stopped....Especially with the DL playing their asses off each game.....The DL is really the unsung hero of this team......

Yeah Aaron Smith is so underrated. He might be the best in this league at his position. Remember the 2nd Cincy game when batted down two passes? And Casey Hampton might have had one of the best moments of the Pats game when he sacked Cassel after getting called for a BS holding call. Then he iced it off by yelling "Holding!" at the ref. Classic.

Stairwayto7
12-01-2008, 03:56 PM
Phsycoward said yesterday " If A Smith goes down, that would hurt more than any other D-lineman we have" And he is right, no offense to the other but A.Smith is a stud. and Keisel oh boy I cant wait for him to get healthy

Dean Denton
12-01-2008, 07:19 PM
Yes Aaron smith is the MVP for this team. The unsung hero...

NOVA STEELERS
12-01-2008, 07:54 PM
:dunno: According to all the so called experts............ the STEELERS D is only ranked #1 on paper so don't see any players getting any awards :OA02:

Seriously thou, I could not be happier with the play of the D week in and week out, sure there have been some games that had me :cursin: but those were the games when the Offense couldn't get anything going and the D spent the entire game on the field :evilshake:

Troy P or J Harrison both deserve the award and I will be happy as long it is a member of our Defense that wins it :cope:

Stairwayto7
12-07-2008, 09:35 PM
Still a tough call! Harrison just lighting it up! But how about Troys open field tackles, and negative yards tackles. Troy is back, after a couple lackluster years!

Black@Gold Forever32
12-07-2008, 09:43 PM
Still a tough call! Harrison just lighting it up! But how about Troys open field tackles, and negative yards tackles. Troy is back, after a couple lackluster years!

Troy is back.....He made a nice pick to open the game........Plus yes he made quite a few open field tackles today.....He is playing lights out...I think its a perfect blend of dropping him into coverage and still allowing him to free lance at times.....

BlitzburghRockCity
12-07-2008, 09:50 PM
At this point it's a safe bet this defense wouldn't be the as good as it is without both of these guys. They both should get the team MVP if you ask me right now.

PsychoWard
12-07-2008, 09:54 PM
At this point it's a safe bet this defense wouldn't be the as good as it is without both of these guys. They both should get the team MVP if you ask me right now.

i'd have to agree with that they are both just plain sick!!!!

Black@Gold Forever32
12-07-2008, 10:17 PM
I don't like sharing the award....lol Both guys are deserving no doubt....but I have to go with Silverback since he is just a monster consistently every game.....But its hard to deny Troy when he has an NFL leading 7 INTs...lol Plus is just making almost every open field tackle when he has those chances......

Silverback
12-07-2008, 11:17 PM
Have to go with James on this. Although Troy is a beast on the field James has to be accounted for so carefully in pass protection schemes it contributes to everyone else around him. Although he's a great player a lot of Woodley's season success has a lot to do with #92 just being on the field.

igor0190
12-07-2008, 11:21 PM
DONT FORGET TO VOTE FOR THE PROBOWL ON NFL.COM

Stairwayto7
12-08-2008, 06:41 AM
I don't like sharing the award....lol Both guys are deserving no doubt....but I have to go with Silverback since he is just a monster consistently every game.....But its hard to deny Troy when he has an NFL leading 7 INTs...lol Plus is just making almost every open field tackle when he has those chances......

Can`t argue that! But it is nice knowing that Troy is back, and he will deserve his Pro Bowl this season.