PDA

View Full Version : O-line so bad... How bad are they?

NCSteeler
11-17-2008, 05:29 AM
Giving up multiple sacks to a team that hasn't had a sack to 4 games... Amazing.. I don't even know what more to say about this group. Some thing needs to change at year end.

JensK
11-17-2008, 05:46 AM
Our o-line is this bad |---------------------------------------|

They better trade up and get a quality o-line who can step in, and then get a good FA pick-up or two.. Then draft another few o-line ppl, who can step in, in a year or two..

BlitzburghRockCity
11-17-2008, 08:56 AM
The O line wasn't as bad as you think yesterday, go back and watch it again. They got a better push at the point of attack than I've seen them do in weeks. The running game was solid yesterday and Hartwig had a real good game against some tough lineman. They gave up some sacks yes but those are as much on Ben as they are on the OL. Yes our Tackles still suck.

Steelersfan
11-17-2008, 09:10 AM
I thought 2 out of 3 sacks were because the WR's didn't get open. Still, Ben needs to take off running or throw the ball away when that happens.

HUNT4SEVEN
11-17-2008, 10:01 AM
:cursin:Our O-line sucks but Ben has to take off when he sees the blitz coming, he could of avoided some of the sacks by RUNNING, our Tackles are **** poor excuses of line men:cursin:I say Ben still needs to sit an game or two:rant2: he can't throw the ball 40-50 yards anymore:rant2:

SteelfordWexler
11-17-2008, 10:41 AM
We need a new line coach. The one time I remember a good rush getting Ben was on a stunt - where they were all confused and someone came free. If I'm playing Pittsburgh - I would stunt the defensive lineman every passing down. These guys are blocking ok when they match up on a defender, but they have a hard time dealing with blitzes, fake blitzes and stunts. It is better than earlier in the season, but too many guys are still running free at Ben.

On the positive, I remember a couple of sacks by Castillo - where Ben ran up out of the pocket - no chance for the o-line to protect him there.

The other good news (if you can call it that) is that most of the sacks were on third down. Ben is holding the ball trying to make a play to move the chains. That isn't a bad deal - except when it puts you out of FG range (didn't apply last night)

BR7
11-17-2008, 10:43 AM
I think the Oline was ok yesterday. Not the best, but better than recent games. I think the short passing game plan helped Ben out a ton. Its like the other teams do, load up the box and blitz. Short quick passing stopped that for the most part. No long bombs, but I can live with that. Bens long ball sucks *** anyways, even with a healty shoulder.

I agree with SF.. atleast two sacks were coverage sacks. Ben can't escape anymore like the old days. He should just tuck it and run, not try to stay behind the LOS to make a play.

Got tired of Sims saying how good the Chargers D looks becasue they were getting to Ben. Its more of how our Oline sucks than how good their D is. Four games with out a sack then you face a team that has given up 500... Our line makes anyone's front four look good.

LatrobePA
11-17-2008, 11:02 AM
How can we be so bad at 3 and shorts? Thank goodness for #33, he has shown some good things the last couple games....Pound the rock smash mouth style and we win it all this year, let Ben throw 41 times, we won't go too far...Nothing against Ben, but if our O can destroy 1/2 as good as our D it'll be sick!!

memphissteelergirl
11-17-2008, 11:32 AM
No doubt-the offensive line will have to be Priority #1 in the draft and FA next year.

But Ben is partly responisble for the sacks as well...his tendency to hang onto the ball is nerve wracking! :banging: But his release was worlds better yesterday. :yellowthumb:

scott0326
11-17-2008, 01:38 PM
The offensive line has been horrible this year, hopefully it will be improved in the off season.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-17-2008, 02:08 PM
I think the Oline was ok yesterday. Not the best, but better than recent games. I think the short passing game plan helped Ben out a ton. Its like the other teams do, load up the box and blitz. Short quick passing stopped that for the most part. No long bombs, but I can live with that. Bens long ball sucks *** anyways, even with a healty shoulder.

I agree with SF.. atleast two sacks were coverage sacks. Ben can't escape anymore like the old days. He should just tuck it and run, not try to stay behind the LOS to make a play.

Got tired of Sims saying how good the Chargers D looks becasue they were getting to Ben. Its more of how our Oline sucks than how good their D is. Four games with out a sack then you face a team that has given up 500... Our line makes anyone's front four look good.

:plus1: The line wasn't near as bad as before and the interior 3 held up fairly well considering the quality DL that the chargers have. Hartwig played a whale of a game and is getting better and better. Im glad Stapleton wasn't out for long because we're thin as it is there.

If they play the rest of the year like they played yesterday we should be happy with that considering how bad they were before.

SteelersWoman
11-17-2008, 03:13 PM
Take a look at the pic of the Charger pushing Willie Colon's helmet up so high that his eyes were covered (and I'm sure there were many instances of the Chargers doing things they weren't supposed to be doing, but got away with).

Normally I'm as down on our O-line as most, but I bet it would be hard to do your job under the conditions that they had to play under yesterday.

Black@Gold Forever32
11-17-2008, 03:44 PM
The O line wasn't as bad as you think yesterday, go back and watch it again. They got a better push at the point of attack than I've seen them do in weeks. The running game was solid yesterday and Hartwig had a real good game against some tough lineman. They gave up some sacks yes but those are as much on Ben as they are on the OL. Yes our Tackles still suck.

Willie Colon is an abortion of an RT.....Max Starks is just a big pile of suck........The Steelers have the worst starting OTs in the NFL.........I wouldn't say it was as much Ben yesterday either...One time he had no time to even throw the ball away the pressure came in so quick.....At times the WRs were just not open.....

Big problem the whole offense from the OL, Ben and the Wrs just havn't been in sync at all this year....

SteelerSal
11-17-2008, 04:20 PM
Get rid of Zeirlien(sp) and we will see an improvement with the o-line.
Fanecca was on to something when he complained about him last season.

AZ_Steeler
11-17-2008, 04:53 PM
Ben did look good yesterday, but when people weren't open he didn't bring the ball down and take off! I would say a majority of the sacks given up yesterday was due to the coverage down field because for the most part Ben was 1-2-3 release all day!

DBR96A
11-17-2008, 04:56 PM
Ben Roethlisberger, Willie Parker and Rashard Mendenhall have all been hurt this season. What else do they have in common? They all line up behind the offensive line.

With that said, the interior three have gradually improved over the course of this season.

AZ_Steeler
11-17-2008, 04:58 PM
Ben Roethlisberger, Willie Parker and Rashard Mendenhall have all been hurt this season. What else do they have in common? They all line up behind the offensive line.

With that said, the interior three have gradually improved over the course of this season.

Mendenhall took on Ray Lewis... I wouldn't blame his injury on the o-line :dunno: