PDA

View Full Version : If this isn't the best Steelers defense of the modern era...

BlitzburghRockCity
11-16-2008, 10:04 PM
I don't know what is. These guys are just big hitting, ball hawks that can make a play at any given time. That INT by Harrison while the Chargers were going in for a possible score was absolutely monster. As Tomlin calls them, "splash plays". If he isn't the NFL defensive player of the year there is something seriously wrong with the NFL besides everything else that is already wrong with it.

Polamalu's int on the opening drive of the game was one of the most spectacular catches I've ever seen for an INT. The way he wrapped his fingers under the ball and kept it from hitting the turf was nothing short of amazing, it's so good to see him back to form. Wood made some nice pass defenses too. It was really just such a team effort that really kept this game close enough for our offense to finally put a full drive together to win the game. Had the Chargers scored on that final possession I don't know if we'd have been able to drive the length of the field for a TD and actually score or not. Willie did score but again was called back for a phantom holding penaty.

Anyways though, Lebeau has to just be walking cloud 9 watching these guys play defense and they just continue to elevate their game. If the Offense ever plays half as good as the D does we'll have a championship caliber team.

LarryNJ
11-16-2008, 10:09 PM
I think they have been the best Steelers D since the 70's. The only hope I have of a Championship year. Defense wins championships! :)

Black@Gold Forever32
11-16-2008, 10:10 PM
This defense is the best Steelers defense that I have ever seen......The 94 BlitzBurgh D is a close second.....

PsychoWard
11-16-2008, 10:12 PM
Troys's pick was the best int i have ever seen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that was just SICK!!!

AZ_Steeler
11-16-2008, 10:14 PM
Troy's INT is the pick of the year for sure!

Ambridge
11-16-2008, 10:37 PM
Outstanding Defense!!

Maybe just leave them on the field for the entire 60 minutes because the offense is at times completely inept.

blackngold29
11-16-2008, 10:45 PM
Agreed, remember back when everyone was worried about Harrison wearing himself out because he would get up at 5am and run hill before training camp? I've got good news.. it has absolutely paid off.

Hopefully that doesn't jinx him.

scott0326
11-16-2008, 11:00 PM
Troy's INT is the pick of the year for sure!That was amazing! Didn't he one similiar to that against the Eagles?

blackngold29
11-16-2008, 11:41 PM
That was amazing! Didn't he one similiar to that against the Eagles?

Yes, he did. http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80afdad2

jpele
11-16-2008, 11:58 PM
Polamalu's int on the opening drive of the game was one of the most spectacular catches I've ever seen for an INT. The way he wrapped his fingers under the ball and kept it from hitting the turf was nothing short of amazing,

Go back to his first INT this year, its hard to say which one was most amazing. One of them should be considered best defensive play of the year.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-17-2008, 12:03 AM
Outstanding Defense!!

Maybe just leave them on the field for the entire 60 minutes because the offense is at times completely inept.

As much as Harrison has done this year so far I wouldn't put it past him to be able to throw a TD too :lol:

You just gotta love the way these guys play together and how they are able to consistently shut down any running attack from even the best backs in the league. Tomlin was mainly a nonfactor till late in the game when he had some good runs but still even then they were able to really clamp down when it counted in the red zone.

tenToesUp
11-17-2008, 03:41 AM
Is there a reason that I don't see this defense being referred to as the steel curtain. These guys are every bit as good a defense that Pitt has ever had, maybe the NFL's best defense ever.

LarryNJ
11-17-2008, 07:48 AM
Is there a reason that I don't see this defense being referred to as the steel curtain. These guys are every bit as good a defense that Pitt has ever had, maybe the NFL's best defense ever.

That's a bit of a stretch. But it does sound good. :lol:

SteelfordWexler
11-17-2008, 11:04 AM
Keep in mind that they are having this year against a brutal schedule and while dealing with significant injuries from : Hampton, Keisel, McFadden, Townsend, Clark, Polamalu, Woodley... each missed at least one game.

lloydfan4life
11-17-2008, 11:28 AM
One thing's for sure.... Troy's INT is going to be on highlight films for many years to come! That was an unbelievable catch! Watching him fly through the air like Superman and then coming up with the ball just blew my mind!

And as far as Harrison..... well, that guy is just a Freakin' BEAST!!!! :cope::cope::cope:

Our Defense ROCKS!! :yellowthumb:

SteelerSteve
11-17-2008, 04:29 PM
They are definitley the best run defense I've ever seen, and they have been for a few seasons now. Now the pass defense is starting to shine as well

KSSteelerfan
11-17-2008, 04:40 PM
Just gotta love a great Steelers defense........:helmet::helmet::tt02::tt02::clap: :clap: