PDA

View Full Version : Offense did just enough today, stayed persistent

BlitzburghRockCity
11-16-2008, 08:18 PM
Ben's percentages were great, he took care of the ball and made enough plays down the stretch to make it happen for us. It wasn't pretty and we didn't score any TD's on offense but still we got the win here and that's what counts. He made a bunch of huge throws especially on that last drive to get us into FG position and man was Ward HUGE today or what. Parker was running hard today and it was good to see him come back and get our running game going.

Damn line and Ben allowed way too many sacks again but by now we're so used to it that it wouldn't be a Steeler game without Ben getting sacked atleast 3 times.

Again it wasn't pretty, it was ugly but atleast it's a win and right now the small victories one at a time are something to maybe build on.

MOTORKRAFT
11-16-2008, 08:22 PM
Fire Ariens now or fire Tomlin later.

Black@Gold Forever32
11-16-2008, 08:35 PM
I'm sorry but this offense is a joke...Sure they made enough plays to win the game today...But this offense won't cut it come play-off time.....They still need to step up......Chargers offense still out scored the Steelers offense...lol Steelers defense scored two points of the Steelers 11....

steelerfan11
11-16-2008, 08:58 PM
Tomlin isn't calling the plays...you can't blame him for the stupid predictable play calling!!!

It isn't all up to Tomlin to fire Arians either. It is up to the front office also...QUIT blaming tomlin for everything!!

steelcityrockers
11-16-2008, 09:32 PM
Fire Ariens now or fire Tomlin later.

Tomlin is 17-9 in two seasons, tell me how that warrants discussion of his firing?
Irrational thoughts like this make me hate people.

BlitzburghNation
11-16-2008, 09:36 PM
Enjoy the WIN people,,,,,,,,It's a step forward with Big Ben "No Int's" :clap:

HUNT4SEVEN
11-16-2008, 09:37 PM
Pittsburgh got cheated from the start to the end today, just remember u can cheat us but u can't beat us:nono::tt02::yellowthumb:

Black@Gold Forever32
11-16-2008, 09:40 PM
Enjoy the WIN people,,,,,,,,It's a step forward with Big Ben "No Int's" :clap:

I always enjoy a win but if anybody really thinks this team will go far with this offense come play-off time then you're in denial......The offense still has many issues.....Only six games to go to correct them.....

HUNT4SEVEN
11-16-2008, 09:45 PM
Tomlin isn't calling the plays...you can't blame him for the stupid predictable play calling!!!

It isn't all up to Tomlin to fire Arians either. It is up to the front office also...QUIT blaming tomlin for everything!!
Well said my friend :yellowthumb: but arians has to go our Offense is getting worse an worse each week:cursin:

BlitzburghNation
11-16-2008, 09:48 PM
I always enjoy a win but if anybody really thinks this team will go far with this offense come play-off time then you're in denial......The offense still has many issues.....Only six games to go to correct them.....

Not in denial at all,,,,,,,,,Just saying no int's for Ben is a step in the right direction for a change and I keep hoping every single week for our offense to play consistent :pray:

If our offense wakes up and plays the way we all know they can,,,,,,We can go all the way with this Defense :yesnod:

Black@Gold Forever32
11-16-2008, 09:54 PM
Not in denial at all,,,,,,,,,Just saying no int's for Ben is a step in the right direction for a change and I keep hoping every single week for our offense to play consistent :pray:

If our offense wakes up and plays the way we all know they can,,,,,,We can go all the way with this Defense :yesnod:

Its the right step for Ben but I hope he hasn't lost his gun sling'in ways.....I'm not suggesting he plays like that all the time but there will be times when we need Ben to come through and I hope he can come through...I never use to doubt Ben but I don't know what to think of Ben this year....lol

I agree with this defense if the offense can just play half way better then it has been playing this year then they will reach the Super Bowl......This team should be 9-1 damn it...lol

This Steelers defense is the best I have ever seen....Remember I wasn't alive for the Steel Curtain......

Big reasons why this defense is dominant is those two maniacs at OLB and Troy P playing like he did in 2004 and 2005......Troy amazed me with that INT today...One of the greatest plays I have ever seen...It was as good as his INT that was over turned against the Colts in the play-offs....

BlitzburghNation
11-16-2008, 09:57 PM
Don't you feel so much better now,,,,,,,Giving Polamalu some props :lol:

PsychoWard
11-16-2008, 09:57 PM
spathe steped in huge too!! he had a lot of key catches for first downs!!!!

Black@Gold Forever32
11-16-2008, 10:00 PM
Don't you feel so much better now,,,,,,,Giving Polamalu some props :lol:

Not really since the offense is holding the team back....lol

I have reason to complain about Troy P....He is playing great, healthy, and he seems like he enjoys playing football again....

These guys get paid millions to play a game....I will give them praise when they deserve it and I will be critical to when they deserve it...Its just the type of fan I am.......

BlitzburghRockCity
11-16-2008, 10:08 PM
I am glad to finally see Spaeth coming up big for us, his size is such a huge advantage. I want to see him get used in the redzone more. There's no DB that can match up with him if you throw up the jump ball and let him go get it.

The thing about Ben is that he makes so many big plays and he can move the chains for us all day long but those INT's at the worst time are just killers but today he really took care of the ball and led this team when it counted which is what you want out of him.

Black@Gold Forever32
11-16-2008, 10:12 PM
I am glad to finally see Spaeth coming up big for us, his size is such a huge advantage. I want to see him get used in the redzone more. There's no DB that can match up with him if you throw up the jump ball and let him go get it.

The thing about Ben is that he makes so many big plays and he can move the chains for us all day long but those INT's at the worst time are just killers but today he really took care of the ball and led this team when it counted which is what you want out of him.

I agree Ben did what was asked of him today....But there might be a time when this offense will have to score some points in critical times.....The D won't bail out the offense every time.....For how great the defense has played this year they are still human and might have an off game.....

AZ_Steeler
11-16-2008, 10:13 PM
I really like the things Big Ben did today... 1-2-3- release!! All day!!! He was efficient, didn't turn the ball over and got the ball out of his hand fast... for the most part at least :bigthumb:

LarryNJ
11-16-2008, 10:20 PM
Irrational thoughts like this make me hate people.

:lol: I hear ya!

Looks like they finally figured out who to use on short yardage. If we figured it out on the goal line, and didn't have so many flags it wouldn't have been so close. They controlled the TOP, didn't have a TO, just like the title says, they did just enough! :)

kgreen
11-16-2008, 10:55 PM
The refs were bad today, no doubt. However, we still WON.
We still have a long way to go before we are elite in my opinion I think we are just below that level. We need consistency on offense. Playcalling is still a concern. I mean come on, when you have 4th and goal from the 1 wouldn't make sense to either call a sneak or put in Russell? He was doing well on short yardage. I like Moore, but he is no short yardage back.

Ben play well today, but he still needs to get rid of the ball earlier. I think the last 3 games (8 ints) was more of a slump than anything else. I mean it happens right? I know he is still playing hurt, but as long as he is throwing these short passes, he will be fine. I like what I see out of Spaeth. He is really good. He can block really well. Like that one play where he lined up as a WR and blocked on WR screen to Hines. He blocked not one, but two players! He caught like 6 passes and moved the chains in the second half.

James "Silverback" Harrison is some kind of monster. I mean he has an aboslute motor and has proved why is was a good move to let him take over for Joey. He has something like 12 or 13 sacks already and on 3rd down blitzes, he is almost unstoppable. It seemed like he could have at least 8 sacks today because the Chargers were holding him a lot (but its legal right?).

I mean its still a win, but it was hardly pretty. We did almost get screwed by bad reffing, but we did what a good team does: get pissed and take it out on the other team. And how about the ending! I mean that was a tochdown for Willie. That was a clean block by Sean McHugh! And then that touchdown by Troy at the end! That was a touchdown and I know it doesn't make a difference, but I wanted them to score a touchdown so bad! There is no way that was a forward pass by Tomlinson. Oh well it is still a win so I'll take it. I can't wait 'till Thursday! I love playing the Benglas!! Always good times!

Ambridge
11-16-2008, 10:59 PM
I'm sorry but this offense is a joke...Sure they made enough plays to win the game today...But this offense won't cut it come play-off time.

I agree!!

If the Steelers make the playoffs(because they're by no stretch out of the woods yet)this offense, the offensive line and Bruce Arians are too much of a liability for the defense to overcome and I find it very sad and maddening at the same time because this team could be a Championship team if the offense could do more of the heavy lifting on their end.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-16-2008, 11:01 PM
I really like the things Big Ben did today... 1-2-3- release!! All day!!! He was efficient, didn't turn the ball over and got the ball out of his hand fast... for the most part at least :bigthumb:

That's going to be the key for this offense, they moved the ball well today for the most part but the penalties and missed opportunities really made it hard for them to again gain any consistency.

Make no mistake about it though they have got to get better and be more efficient because you can't have this type of performance in the playoffs.

blackngold29
11-16-2008, 11:04 PM
Overall, it was a very entertaining game. In order to win, the Steelers obviously had to play well with the number of penalties that they were called for. The offense continues to be the weaker half, but they did show today that they have poetential; now they just have to put together that poetential over a whole drive. Harrison is beyond words and I think everyone knows it. Keisel led with 6 sacks and it was nice to have Woodley back. Special teams still needs improvement, they had a concentration on it last season, but for whatever reason not this year; perhaps Tomlin should run a few drills.

kgreen
11-16-2008, 11:06 PM
Overall, it was a very entertaining game. In order to win, the Steelers obviously had to play well with the number of penalties that they were called for. The offense continues to be the weaker half, but they did show today that they have poetential; now they just have to put together that poetential over a whole drive. Harrison is beyond words and I think everyone knows it. Keisel led with 6 sacks and it was nice to have Woodley back. Special teams still needs improvement, they had a concentration on it last season, but for whatever reason not this year; perhaps Tomlin should run a few drills.

Dang Keisel had 6 sacks? Wow I missed that! Our pass rush is nasty. Our Special Teams are better than they were under Cowher, but they still aren't very good. I really don't Paul Ernster. He is so mediocre. I really miss D-Sep.

blackngold29
11-16-2008, 11:45 PM
Dang Keisel had 6 sacks? Wow I missed that! Our pass rush is nasty. Our Special Teams are better than they were under Cowher, but they still aren't very good. I really don't Paul Ernster. He is so mediocre. I really miss D-Sep.

My fault, tackles not sacks!

jpele
11-16-2008, 11:47 PM
A win is a win and I shouldn't complain, but.... I lose a little more confidence in Mike Tomlin every game.

Going back to last year we started off hot then faded in crunch time. I put it off to Tomlin overworking the team in camp. That was corrected this year, he was easier on them this year and the D is showing that.

Now in year two Mike should be over the rookie mistakes,but he's not. Arians is still a coach as is Ligashesky. Yes Ben had a great day statistically in between the 20's but when it counted the play calling was terrible.

4th and 1 from the SD 1, they try to bounce it outside ( not a good play to begin with ) but what made it worse they ran it with Moore instead of FWP. Way to fool them Bruce.

How about 3rd and 1 , we try a pass play with Hines Ward standing on the sidelines .

How about we're going to use two running backs so we don't wearout Parker, well maybe another game Moore had 1 carry, Russell had 2 ,guess thats how a good coach shares the load.

Really I'm venting now because of the officials and will be over it by morning, but something needs to be done with this coaching staff.

blackngold29
11-16-2008, 11:51 PM
I dunno, I really don't think Tomlin is too much to blame. If anyone it's the O-line and Arians. Does anyone have video of his post-game conference? Sure the man talks like a robot, but I'm interested to hear what he said.

jpele
11-16-2008, 11:54 PM
I dunno, I really don't think Tomlin is too much to blame. If anyone it's the O-line and Arians.

The buck stops with Tomlin, he's no longer a rookie coach and should have a clue as to how an offense should be run.

blackngold29
11-16-2008, 11:55 PM
The buck stops with Tomlin, he's no longer a rookie coach and should have a clue as to how an offense should be run.

True, but he's not calling the plays. Maybe they should let Ben do it... I mean Bradshaw called all his plays and that turned out pretty well.

$teelersRule
11-17-2008, 01:40 AM
i think the fact that ben actually practiced this made a huge difference. hopefully he can keep it up :2cents:

DanRooney
11-17-2008, 01:50 AM
Everyone played fine today especially the Charger-bought referees. :clap:

portcityblackandgold
11-17-2008, 11:15 AM
Nobody is going to get fired as long as they win. Lets be happy with the win