PDA

View Full Version : Lesnar wrestles UFC title from Couture

Captcoolhand
11-16-2008, 07:03 AM
http://img238.imageshack.us/img238/9031/539wfb2.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Youth - and size - won out over experience in a ring called the Octagon.

Brock Lesnar, a 31-year-old former NCAA wrestling champ, pummeled Randy Couture, 45, to the mat at 3:07 of the second round to win Ultimate Fighting's ultimate championship, the heavyweight title, last night at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.

Aside from the disparity in size - Lesnar is a hulk at 6 feet 3 inches, 275 pounds compared with Couture, 6-1 and a lean 220 - Couture hadn't fought in 15 months, disdaining contract squabbles as he awaited the big fight he craved.
And big is what he got.

Lesnar, who lost the 1999 NCAA wrestling title to the Patriots' Stephen Neal, then won the title the next season, had the upper hand throughout the fight. He landed a standing elbow that stunned Couture to open Round 2 and had the defending champion backpedaling.

Lesnar landed a right hand to Couture's temple, then engulfed him with hammer punches with Couture (16-9) on the mat. The referee had to step in and stop the fight.

Lesnar, billed as one of the sport's rising young stars, earned a technical knockout to win UFC 91 in just his fourth pro fight.

The UFC was hoping to draw the biggest pay-per-view audience in the sport's young history. Chuck Liddell's fight with Tito Ortiz drew 1.05 million buys in December 2006.

"It sounds really good," Lesnar said after being introduced as the new heavyweight champion. "I can't believe it.

"I just believe in hard work and it pays off."

Lesnar is an interesting story in a sport trying to cut into the mainstream audience.
He gained prominence as the youngest champion in the history of World Wrestling Entertainment, then left the WWE in 2004 to pursue a career in the NFL - perhaps spurred on by Neal's success with the Patriots - but he was cut by the Minnesota Vikings.

Lesnar began his fighting career in June 2007, with Mixed Martial Arts, then signed with UFC in October. It took him a little more than a year to win the sport's biggest title.
Dude is truely a Beast!

You have to wonder though, how long can he keep up his success.

Reminds me of Tyson.....
Mike Tyson was a beast back in his day but look where that got him? But then again, Tyson was just an all out mental case....:yesnod:

PWTRPWR
11-17-2008, 12:41 AM
true, was lucky to get a title shot with his record :imho:

JoeThomas
11-17-2008, 12:54 AM
its so hard nowadays to keep a title for so long in MMA. just anderson silva is the only one who has had it for a while. there are alot of bigger guys then couture in the UFC. so we shall see. great fight though, he dominated!

Captcoolhand
11-17-2008, 11:05 AM
Wish i could have seen it! :yesnod:

KSSteelerfan
11-17-2008, 04:31 PM
Brock tore Couture up from what I have read or heard.

Brady Quinn
11-17-2008, 07:24 PM
HE DID BEAT HIM DOWN. IT WAS WHAT I EXPECTED. HE IS TOO MUCH FOR SMALLER GUYS.

Dean Denton
11-18-2008, 08:02 PM
It was like watching the Steelers Beat up on the Browns...lol Except there is always alot more blood coming from the Browns.

JoeThomas
11-18-2008, 09:33 PM
It was like watching the Steelers Beat up on the Browns...lol Except there is always alot more blood coming from the Browns.

all i hope is when we play the steelers in the last week we can do something to ruin there season, playoffs, seeding, something. or knock one of there players out. oh i can dream. maybe we can sign lesnar and he can finish the job the rest of the league has done on ben.

Captcoolhand
11-19-2008, 02:34 AM
all i hope is when we play the steelers in the last week we can do something to ruin there season, playoffs, seeding, something. or knock one of there players out. oh i can dream. maybe we can sign lesnar and he can finish the job the rest of the league has done on ben.
That's Funny!:rofl:
Lesner couldn't even make the team for the Vikings when Tomlin was the DC there before he came to Pittsburgh.
But then again, you are talking the Clowns,.....:D

Gettysburgh_Steel
11-19-2008, 02:41 AM
What position did Lesner play?

Captcoolhand
11-19-2008, 03:04 AM
I'm not sure that he even played but He was signed by the Vikings and brought in to play the same defensive tackle position as veteran Chris Hovan. I believe he got cut doing Training camp, really don't remember. :duh:

JoeThomas
11-19-2008, 10:33 AM
I'm not sure that he even played but He was signed by the Vikings and brought in to play the same defensive tackle position as veteran Chris Hovan. I believe he got cut doing Training camp, really don't remember. :duh:

he was on thre d line. id they said if he put in the time and work he could be a NFL player, but he didnt want to wait and play in europe and learn. but his raw talent and athletic ability was scary. thats why i think he will dominate in the UFC

Dean Denton
11-19-2008, 02:12 PM
he was on thre d line. id they said if he put in the time and work he could be a NFL player, but he didnt want to wait and play in europe and learn. but his raw talent and athletic ability was scary. thats why i think he will dominate in the UFC
Kinda like how the Steelers dominate the Browns...lol Go Brock..did you know that he's a Steelers fan?

PWTRPWR
11-19-2008, 10:12 PM
d line I believe

Axeman
11-24-2008, 11:17 AM

Lesnar played for the Minnesota Vikings, where he created controversy in some games by starting minor fights and got heat from the Kansas City Chiefs for a sack on quarterback Damon Huard, which drew a big response from the crowd. Huard was hit hard and had to go to the sidelines and sit out a few plays. After playing in the preseason, Lesnar ended up being a late cut. He declined an invitation to play as a representative of the Vikings in NFL Europa because he wanted to be closer to home with his family.

--- Added 11/24/2008 at 09:17 AM ---

true, was lucky to get a title shot with his record :imho:

it's not the record, his Octagon experience was little to nothing at all is what surprised me. but then again the Heavy weight div. in the UFC is very limited at who they could throw at Randy.