PDA

View Full Version : Running Game

BRICKTOWN BEAST
11-12-2008, 01:26 AM
Thats what i blame for the Steelers demise this season. I don't know if it's our horrific offensive line or Bruce Arians but it seems we just can't run the ball. honeslty Aians trys to run the ball on first down...fails...then passes twice. runs on first down...fails passes twice oops sack....oops interception. honestly if Tomlin doesn't find a coordinator that knows how to run the ball effectively or get an o-line that isn't honestly the worst I've ever seen in the Steelers unifrom then this team has lost it's identity.

DBR96A
11-12-2008, 01:54 AM
Everybody in the media keeps talking about how the Steelers offense has no identity. That's proof to me that Bruce Arians has not a clue what the **** he's doing.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-12-2008, 09:35 AM
Our offense is in the bottom 1/4 of the league in most stats which tells you right there the offense has no identity. This team should have found itself by now but the only thing it's found is the ability to call a run on 1st down almost every single time. We're so predictable in that sense it's not even funny.

I've said it for the past month, this team needs both Willie and Moore healthy to function properly. Even when that was the case neither one was being used properly. Willie gets all the carries and Moore comes in for a play and then leaves. Get both of these guys on the field at the same time, run some multiple back sets, split one out wide, do different things and utilize the talent they both have but you won't see that from Arians :evilshake:

yinzer
11-12-2008, 10:22 AM
Our offense is in the bottom 1/4 of the league in most stats which tells you right there the offense has no identity. This team should have found itself by now but the only thing it's found is the ability to call a run on 1st down almost every single time. We're so predictable in that sense it's not even funny.

I've said it for the past month, this team needs both Willie and Moore healthy to function properly. Even when that was the case neither one was being used properly. Willie gets all the carries and Moore comes in for a play and then leaves. Get both of these guys on the field at the same time, run some multiple back sets, split one out wide, do different things and utilize the talent they both have but you won't see that from Arians :evilshake:

i was reading an article this morning in the post gazette. bob smizik defended bruce arians as if he were his brother. smizik's OPINIONS were that our offensive problems were due to execution as opposed to shiatty play calling. although that is only partially true, the common denominator ALL FRIGGIN SEASON is that arians HAS ABSOLUTELY NO CLUE HOW TO CALL A GAME. yes, ben threw two huge picks which, in my opinion, lost the game for us. i mean, come on. those two picks resulted in 14 points. like i said before, it's not like arians was a succesful OC in the past and then all of a sudden walked into a shiatty team. how many times did we run right over center on first down against the colts?? play calling is way too predictable and that's a fact. blame can be spread around but arians wasn't shiat-canned a number of times previously because he was a good OC. he was fired because he stunk up the field and the trend continues right here, in the burgh.

BRICKTOWN BEAST
11-12-2008, 09:14 PM
Its just sucks how our running game used to be the foundation for this team and got us to countless playoffs games, 5 championships and won superbowl 40 and now...we can't even run on the colts

MOTORKRAFT
11-12-2008, 11:35 PM
Am I wrong or is G.Russell not the most powerful running back we have now. What did this guy do not to get any touches? Whos dog house is he in? And why in the world is he the K.R.? This makes no sense to me.

DanRooney
11-13-2008, 04:11 AM
The best offensive players for us have been Hines and Moore. The rest of our offense has gone to ****.

What the hell is Santonio doing on the field? Everytime we throw to him it seems like an automatic INT

--- Added 11/13/2008 at 02:11 AM ---

Am I wrong or is G.Russell not the most powerful running back we have now. What did this guy do not to get any touches? Whos dog house is he in? And why in the world is he the K.R.? This makes no sense to me.

Better Gary Russell back there than Dookie. Hes much faster and is getting more yards.

Dean Denton
11-13-2008, 12:48 PM
Do any of you know of any Fat Backs coming out of college this next year? What are your thoughts on picking one up? We have always had a big HB, and I think we could use one to go with Mendenhal. I love parker, but we need a big guy bqack there.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-13-2008, 01:12 PM
Mendenhall has good size and runs very hard so he's going to be the "power" back complimenting Willie. That was the initial plan when bringing him in, a guy who can work with Parker and give us the tough yards that Parker doesn't always get. Plus keeping them both fresh. I don't think you'll see them drafing another RB of any size on day 1 next year assuming Mendenhall will be ready to go. Between Willie, Mewelde, and Rashard along with Russel they have a pretty good stable..the problem has been keeping them all healthy.

The new offensive regime in Pittsburgh isn't one that will call for a Bettis for Fuamatu'Mafala type size of back.

$teelersRule
11-13-2008, 02:03 PM
The new offensive regime in Pittsburgh isn't one that will call for a Bettis for Fuamatu'Mafala type size of back.

i am hoping for a "new" new offensive regime after this season with that joke of an OC we have

Steelersfan
11-13-2008, 02:03 PM
Is this guy available?........lol How about that whole OL too!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fa1TSaKmG2o

BlitzburghRockCity
11-13-2008, 03:29 PM
i am hoping for a "new" new offensive regime after this season with that joke of an OC we have

With the way Tomlin has built this team over the last 2 years even if Arians goes get the boot after this season, which I hope to God he does, I don't see us going back to the 3 yds and a cloud of dust type of deal we used to be. If you sit back and look at the weapons we have on offense, we've got way too much potential and fire power to have it being so ineffectively used like it has been so far.

Heath Miller
Hines Ward
Willie Parker
Mewelde Moore
Santonio Holmes
Nate Washington is a deep threat
Ben

Plus up and coming guys that haven't even begun to tap their potential yet like Sweed and Mendenhall. There is so much potential for these guys to make plays at any given time but inevitably something breaks down and we miss out on big plays all too often. There are so many possibilities with Parker and Moore being on the field at the same time, splitting them out at WR, direct snaps, all kinds of stuff that we never do and that drives me nuts.

We've got the weapons we just need somebody with half a brain to use them correctly.

Dean Denton
11-13-2008, 03:44 PM
Everything goes in cycles though, and if we dont fix our issues in a hurry...OL, then everything else will start to fall too. I know we always have a great Def, but how much longer do we think Dick is going to be around to coach? We have talent everywhere, but we have all the pieces to win now, and this might not be the case 2 or 3 years down the road. Sure we can draft OL men, but they wont be rready next year. We need free agents....NOW!!!!

Richmond Rukus
11-13-2008, 03:53 PM
I don't think you'll see them drafing another RB of any size on day 1 next year.

I certainly hope not, we need a few good men up front, day 1.

http://www.nationalchamps.net/2007/sub/pics/small/california_alex_mack_sm.jpg

Dean Denton
11-13-2008, 04:46 PM
I certainly hope not, we need a few good men up front, day 1.

http://www.nationalchamps.net/2007/sub/pics/small/california_alex_mack_sm.jpg Ah yes, the pac 10...good choice.

Koopa
11-13-2008, 05:21 PM
Mendenhall has good size and runs very hard so he's going to be the "power" back complimenting Willie. That was the initial plan when bringing him in, a guy who can work with Parker and give us the tough yards that Parker doesn't always get. Plus keeping them both fresh. I don't think you'll see them drafing another RB of any size on day 1 next year assuming Mendenhall will be ready to go. Between Willie, Mewelde, and Rashard along with Russel they have a pretty good stable..the problem has been keeping them all healthy.

as long as tomlin is our coach, the running back will never be fresh cause he doesn't know how to split up the carries, that's why parker will never be healthy again, cause once he gets a little better tomlin will run the **** out of him till he breaks again..........

$teelersRule
11-13-2008, 05:55 PM
With the way Tomlin has built this team over the last 2 years even if Arians goes get the boot after this season, which I hope to God he does, I don't see us going back to the 3 yds and a cloud of dust type of deal we used to be. If you sit back and look at the weapons we have on offense, we've got way too much potential and fire power to have it being so ineffectively used like it has been so far.

Heath Miller
Hines Ward
Willie Parker
Mewelde Moore
Santonio Holmes
Nate Washington is a deep threat
Ben

Plus up and coming guys that haven't even begun to tap their potential yet like Sweed and Mendenhall. There is so much potential for these guys to make plays at any given time but inevitably something breaks down and we miss out on big plays all too often. There are so many possibilities with Parker and Moore being on the field at the same time, splitting them out at WR, direct snaps, all kinds of stuff that we never do and that drives me nuts.

We've got the weapons we just need somebody with half a brain to use them correctly.

i completely agree with this post. i was not asking for a 3 yards in a cloud of dust back just someone who knows how to call intelligent plays that incorporates some of our talent on offense not someone who calls plays that expose all of our weaknesses.

Steelersfan
11-13-2008, 06:18 PM
That "3yds and a cloud of dust" got the Steelers a whole lot of wins and you didn't see them lose very many games with a lead in the 4th quarter either.

Gettysburgh_Steel
11-13-2008, 06:28 PM
For the most part.i remember the Steelers as a run first offense. Once you sell youself as a pass orientated offense,things change.Injuries can dictate what you can achieve as an offensive unit.One thing i do know is you can not have an o-line that is more suitable for the run,and then expect to change to a pass-happy mode.We have been exposed in that aspect. The run must be more respected for the pass to open up,and take the pressure off of Ben. No quick passes, no screens,no trickery, no luck!!!!!!!:tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02:

Dean Denton
11-13-2008, 06:56 PM
For the most part.i remember the Steelers as a run first offense. Once you sell youself as a pass orientated offense,things change.Injuries can dictate what you can achieve as an offensive unit.One thing i do know is you can not have an o-line that is more suitable for the run,and then expect to change to a pass-happy mode.We have been exposed in that aspect. The run must be more respected for the pass to open up,and take the pressure off of Ben. No quick passes, no screens,no trickery, no luck!!!!!!!:tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02: cowher was talking about that on Inside the NFL a copuple weeks ago. He said thats what happened to the team in 2003. They wanted to be a pass team first because of how well tommy did the year before, but when people got hurt it didn't work and they could not change back to run first Off because it was to hard to change the mentality of the team.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-13-2008, 08:54 PM
That "3yds and a cloud of dust" got the Steelers a whole lot of wins and you didn't see them lose very many games with a lead in the 4th quarter either.

Yeah but also didn't win many championship games or super bowls with it either. 3 yds and a cloud of dust generally works pretty decent in the regular season if you have a good defense but come playoff time you've got to be able to throw and run because the competition is better and more is on the line. I like the weapons we have and I like how we can throw or pass, we just can't seem to find an identity or do anything consistently well week in and week out and if we don't figure it out soon we're going to be SOL.

Steelersfan
11-13-2008, 09:58 PM
Yeah but also didn't win many championship games or super bowls with it either. 3 yds and a cloud of dust generally works pretty decent in the regular season if you have a good defense but come playoff time you've got to be able to throw and run because the competition is better and more is on the line. I like the weapons we have and I like how we can throw or pass, we just can't seem to find an identity or do anything consistently well week in and week out and if we don't figure it out soon we're going to be SOL.

The Steelers have been to 6 SB's and I don't know how many AFC championships with that formula.
Just because Cowher lost his mind in most of them doesn't mean it didn't work.......:lol:

As for this team, I just wish they would make up there mind to be a passing team because with all the speed they have they're really not a running team. At least not in the sense that most of us have been use to.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-14-2008, 12:58 AM
The Steelers have been to 6 SB's and I don't know how many AFC championships with that formula.
Just because Cowher lost his mind in most of them doesn't mean it didn't work.......:lol:

As for this team, I just wish they would make up there mind to be a passing team because with all the speed they have they're really not a running team. At least not in the sense that most of us have been use to.

Ok I was referring to the modern era, not the Dynasty years here.. :bluelol:

Yes in the 70's the Franco/Blier combination was extremely productive and a big reason why we won 4 SBs.

Under the Cowher era though he never had a Bradshaw type QB till Ben got there and once Ben came the 3 yds and cloud of dust was slowly but surely making an exit. Had BC had Ben on this team for 6 or 7 years before he retired we might have won another SB who knows :dunno: I mean considering the guys he had in the drivers seat on the offense for most of his career it's no wonder we ran the 3 yds and cloud of dust, because we couldn't score points any other way :lol:

NCSteeler
11-14-2008, 04:32 AM
Recent Tomlin statements about being able to power it in and run when you have too, sounds a little like he is leanign away from the Arians way a bit and maybe sending Arians a message.

BTW, Fat Back is what you put in your greens, not your backfield.....

BlitzburghRockCity
11-14-2008, 09:14 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08319/927905-66.stm?cmpid=HBEHTML

When he makes another return from yet another injury, Willie Parker will be wearing a protective brace on his shoulder that will restrict his ability to lift his arm above his head. This should provide a simple mandate for Ben Roethlisberger: Don't throw Parker, a two-time Pro Bowl running back, any high passes.
Parker will wear the brace because his shoulder popped out of joint and tore the labrum in a Nov. 3 game against the Washington Redskins, an injury that wasn't detected until Parker complained the next day that his shoulder was sore. The injury -- known as a shoulder subluxation -- is similar to one suffered by former Steelers cornerback Rod Woodson, who never had the shoulder surgically repaired and played a large portion of his Pro Bowl career wearing a similar type of brace.
After Parker missed five of the past six games, his return should provide the same effect as his brace: It will help stabilize an offense that has been disjointed and out of whack and should strengthen a running game that has missed his home-run presence.
"Makes all the difference in the world," offensive coordinator Bruce Arians said about having Parker, who did not play in Sunday's 24-20 loss to the Indianapolis Colts, in the lineup. "When you saw him flash in Washington, it was like, 'Oooh.' Nobody was blocking and he got 5 yards because of his speed and explosiveness. Mewelde [Moore] has done a tremendous job, but Willie has the explosiveness we look for."
Parker should be getting accustomed to these returns.
When he started the season opener against the Houston Texans, it was his first regular-season game since he fractured his fibula in Week 15 last season in St. Louis.
Then, after spraining the medial collateral ligament in his left knee in a Sept. 21 game in Philadelphia, Parker missed the next four games, twice having comeback attempts aborted when he aggravated the injury during the week.
He returned against the Redskins, rushed for 70 yards on 21 carries in a 23-6 victory, only to discover the next day his shoulder was partially dislocated. Now, he is set to return again, this time in Sunday's 4:15 p.m. game against the San Diego Chargers (4-5) at Heinz Field, just in time to help resuscitate an offense that has struggled because of injuries, poor execution and questionable offensive-line play. Not to mention eight interceptions and just one touchdown in the past three games by Roethlisberger.

"It takes the focus off the quarterback when [Parker's] in there," Arians said. "You have to focus on him and it sets up your play-action passing better and gives you more things to go to." "Any time you have a back like Willie Parker, who can take it to the house, it definitely helps our offense," wide receiver Hines Ward said. "It makes us a little more explosive and teams have to defend that."

"A lot of times people associate him with his biggest and best attribute, which is his speed," coach Mike Tomlin said. "The thing that jumps out at me is he's a tremendous competitor, physically and mentally tough."

Parker will have to be tough to play with his injury because a running back uses his shoulder the way a knight uses his sword, both absorbing and administering blows. Despite not weighing even as much as San Diego's LaDainian Tomlinson, the 5-foot-10, 209-pound Parker has always shown a desire to run inside and never backed down from a collision.

He said he is not about to stop now, either.
"I'm going to be getting hit," Parker said. "A lot of people have played with injured shoulders before. Shoulders are sore. You just gut it out. I played with it the last game against the Redskins, the whole third and fourth quarter. I still played with it.
"Other teams are going through the same stuff. It's been a rough year for every team. It's been more physical, but no excuses. As a team, we got our own problems. We got to deal with them and keep moving."
With Parker out, Moore has rushed for 357 yards on 80 carries and scored five touchdowns in four starts, overtaking Parker (333 yards) as the team's leading rusher. Moore also caught 16 passes for 89 yards and one touchdown, giving him a team-high six touchdowns.

His worst rushing performance came against the Colts, when he gained only 57 yards on 24 carries. Despite scoring two touchdowns on 1-yard runs, Moore also was stopped twice at the goal line in the fourth quarter, back-to-back plays on which guard Chris Kemoeatu failed to block defensive tackle Eric Foster not once, but twice. That forced the Steelers to settle for a field goal and a 20-17 lead.
Ward said Parker is a "dynamic back" who "doesn't need much, just a little seam." But it won't matter if the offensive line, like the offense as a whole, doesn't perform better.

"Mewelde has come in and done a phenomenal job," Ward said. "It all starts up front. If our line is dominating, it definitely makes Willie's job a lot easier. But it's hard to get into a running flow with guys in the backfield.

"It's not because we're getting beat fundamentally; we're getting beat because we don't understand who to block. Willie, Mewelde, it's hard for anybody to get into a consistent flow."

Parker will try, injured shoulder and all.

If that last statement there doesn't concern you I don't know what does. They're admitting they are getting beat because they don't know who to block? This is fundamental stuff you practice all day, all off season, training camp, you have to be able to realize who is your primary focus on any given play and do your job. A hat on a hat as Cowher used to say. This is all coming down to coaching, atleast this issue, if you line and RB's don't know who to block then that is squarely on Tomlin period.

Willie will probably have that brace for a couple weeks atleast, it will be good to have that additional weapon on the field which at this point we need all that we can get.