PDA

View Full Version : Injury updates on Woodley, Parker, Marvel Smith & Big Ben

Steel Trap86
11-11-2008, 03:11 PM
PITTSBURGH - The running game could get a boost with the return of Willie Parker this week. After missing games earlier in the season because of a knee injury, Parker sat out the Colts game with a shoulder injury. It was reported that he had a torn labrum, but both Parker and Tomlin said that is not the case.

“To my knowledge Willie Parker has a shoulder subluxation,” said Tomlin. “That is his understanding of it, mine and the staffs. The shoulder popped out briefly during the Redskins game and popped back into place. Adrenaline, or what have you, didn’t allow him to recognize it during the course of the game. We came in (last) Tuesday and took a look at it. It was painful and sore at that time.”

Parker was at the team’s practice facility this Tuesday to work out and Tomlin is hopeful that he will practice on Wednesday and be ready to play by Sunday, although he will likely have to wear a shoulder harness to protect it.

Offensive tackle Marvel Smith could return to practice this week after missing several weeks with back spasms. Smith has not played since the Jacksonville game and has also missed practice during that time, so he will have to prove he is ready to go before he gets the nod to return to game-action.

“He has to show us quite a bit,” said Tomlin. “He has missed some time. Not only in terms of health, but technically he has to be up to speed. He has to knock the rust off quickly if he is going to play this weekend.”

Linebacker LaMarr Woodley is expected to return to the field this week, but Heath Miller is questionable.

OH YAAAA :cope: Lets get goin boys!!....I hate to see Miller out tho!!

pittn8tve
11-11-2008, 03:24 PM
It will be good to have those guy's back and hopefully we can keep them in the lineup a little longer this go around!

Steel Trap86
11-11-2008, 03:27 PM
It will be good to have those guy's back and hopefully we can keep them in the lineup a little longer this go around!

best piece of news i have heard this week, it was said that parkers shoulder was torn and he could be out for the season. so happens its NOT and he'll be back this sunday :cope:

SteelerNC
11-11-2008, 03:52 PM
VERY GOOD NEWS!!!

Silverback 92
11-11-2008, 04:08 PM
as long as fwp doesnt step in a hole ,fall down and hurt his knee and shoulder

Zachintosh66
11-11-2008, 04:16 PM
We missed Woodley... FWP can hold Moores waterbottle for him this week :lol:

Black@Gold Forever32
11-11-2008, 05:29 PM
Great News that Woodley is back.....As for Willie I guess its good he is back.....What I'm trying to say is how many carries until he is injured again...lol.....I hope he stays healthy but at this point he is injury prone....

SteelerBee43
11-11-2008, 08:04 PM
PITTSBURGH (AP) - Steelers running back Willie Parker will return to practice Wednesday, and coach Mike Tomlin is optimistic Parker will play Sunday against the San Diego Chargers.

Parker has played only once since spraining his knee Sept. 21 in Philadelphia, running for 70 yards in a Monday night win over the Washington Redskins on Nov. 3 in which he dislocated his shoulder.

"The shoulder popped out briefly during the course of the Redskins game and it popped back into place," Tomlin said, denying reports that Parker had a torn labrum. "Adrenaline or what have you didn't allow him to recognize it during the course of game. He came in (last) Tuesday, took a look at it and of course it was very painful."

Parker was leading the NFL in rushing last season before breaking his leg during the next-to-last regular season game in St. Louis. He has 333 yards and four touchdowns on 87 carries this season.

With rookie Rashard Mendenhall out for the season with a broken shoulder, Mewelde Moore has been Pittsburgh's featured back in three of the past four games. Although he has scored six touchdowns, the Steelers' rushing offense has struggled in recent weeks, totaling only 214 yards on the ground the past three games.

The return of left tackle Marvel Smith could help the running game. Smith hasn't played since Oct. 5 because of a back injury, but Tomlin said it's possible he will practice this week. Smith had a favorable workout Tuesday, Tomlin said.

He's missed some time. Not only in terms of health, but technically he's got to be up to speed," Tomlin said. "He's got to knock the rust off quickly if he's going to play for us this weekend."

Max Starks has been starting at left tackle, protecting Ben Roethlisberger's blind side. Roethlisberger has thrown eight interceptions during his past 10 quarters of play and has been bothered by an injured throwing shoulder.

Tomlin characterized Roethlisberger's condition as "status quo" but said he was likely to practice this week. Roethlisberger was severely limited in practice last week and threw three interceptions in a loss to the Indianapolis Colts.

Tomlin indicated that Roethlisberger would have to practice more this week if he's going to play, pointing out timing and cohesion issues in the Colts game.

"It's important that you practice and get physical reps," Tomlin said. "One of the things we've been dealing with in regards to his situation is a little short-term misery, if you will."

Tomlin applauded Roethlisberger for taking accountability for the defeat and hinted that the blame for the interceptions could also fall partly on intended receiver Santonio Holmes. But the coach did not completely absolve his quarterback, who has thrown more interceptions (11) than touchdowns (10) this season.

"It wasn't a winning performance," Tomlin said. "That's the reality of it. We've got to take care of the football, and we didn't do it. They had interceptions and we didn't."

Elsewhere on the injury front, the team signed veteran cornerback Fernando Bryant on Monday because Bryant McFadden (broken forearm) and Deshea Townsend (ankle) will not play. Bryant is a former first-round pick of the Jacksonville Jaguars who played the past four seasons in Detroit.

Linebacker LaMarr Woodley, fifth in the league in sacks with 9 1/2, should be able to practice this week after missing the Indianapolis game with a calf injury, but tight end Heath Miller (ankle) was "questionable at best" for this week, Tomlin said.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8782740/Steelers-hope-Parker-can-play;-Big-Ben-in-doubt

TEEMONT
11-11-2008, 09:28 PM
We missed Woodley... FWP can hold Moores waterbottle for him this week :lol:

yeah...while moore tears up another D for 23 carries 54 yards...I CANT WAIT!!! lol

HUNT4SEVEN
11-11-2008, 10:07 PM
It's great to be getting Woodley back:yellowthumb::tt02: we need him bad:yesnod: This game is an must win game we'll see the Colts again in the playoffs an get some payback:clap::clap:i'm glad also that we got Ryan Mundy back on the practice squad:yellowthumb:

lloydfan4life
11-12-2008, 07:37 AM
Glad to hear FWP's injury wasn't a torn labrum! If that was the case he most likely woud've been gone for the year because it requires surgery and rehab. I had that injury and it's freakin' painful.

Let's get 'em all healthy for this tough four game stretch coming up! :cope:

BlitzburghRockCity
11-15-2008, 09:46 PM
Seems like we are finally starting to get healthy everywhere except the Secondary. If we can get McFadden and Townsend back plus with the addition of Bryant in the secondary we should be ok. Our backups have done a real good job for us this year, better than I've seen them play in quite awhile.

Wood has to be chomping at the bit to get back and try and catch Harrison in sacks.