PDA

View Full Version : Defense continues to carry this team but they can't do it all

BlitzburghRockCity
11-09-2008, 07:38 PM
Once again the defense played well enough to win considering the circumstances they were put in. They held the Colts on multiple occasions but even the best defenses can't overcome all those turnovers deep in their own territory all the time.

They got a couple sacks today but never really got the pressure we needed them to get. The secondary played pretty well today overall which was a good sign even with injuries hitting again and Townsend going down for atleast awhile.

One has to wonder how much more they can withstand when the offense doesn't help.

Steelersfan
11-09-2008, 07:41 PM
The defense played pretty good today but a great D would at least get one stop after a turnover. This defense just doesn't do that for some reason. I don't expect them to make every stop but geez, once in a while would be nice.

Silverback 92
11-09-2008, 07:41 PM
our D rocks true but they seem to be on the field alot today thanks to the O

AZ_Steeler
11-09-2008, 07:42 PM
It might start to cause some resentment... the D is doing their part, giving the O great field position and holding the opponents on costly turnovers, for the most part! If the D continues to do this and the offense continues to sputter it's going to cause a separation on the team between the O and D and it's not something the coaching staff wants to have on their hands.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-09-2008, 07:45 PM
Even the ST is doing their part, atleast the coverage units are not allowing big returns and generally atleast setting up the offense between the 25-30. Honestly it pains me to see a unit that is this good and is able to play so well as a unit just continually get let down by the offense.

One thing that did concern me with the gameplan was the lack of blitzing. You can't beat manning by just sitting back and playing coverage. You have to get in his face and pressure him. Fortunately our Dbacks played fairly well today considering all the downfield passes Manning did. I thought we'd follow the playbook from the playoff game 3 years ago and blitz constantly but we didnt.

Steel Trap86
11-09-2008, 07:47 PM
i think our dee played great today, and they give us chances to win the game time after time, i think what lost the game for the steelers was when moore couldnt pound it in the endzone, that guy was DOUBLE TEAMED and he still managed to stuff moore. Our o-line ****ed us and ben's interceptions

i am more concerned that the ravens are also 6-3 and next time we play them is in baltimore and the steelers rarley win there.

Black@Gold Forever32
11-09-2008, 07:49 PM
The defense played pretty good today but a great D would at least get one stop after a turnover. This defense just doesn't do that for some reason. I don't expect them to make every stop but geez, once in a while would be nice.

Ok this is a great defense....Honestly I don't know how you can think other wise......Peyton Manning is a Hall of Fame QB and the defense held him in check for the most part......Ike Taylor just needs to learn how to catch the ball....lol

As for stopping the Colts offense with a short field....You can't give one of the all time best QBs a short field....Sorry its all on Ben.....

Thank God for the defense if not for them this team wouldn't even be in the play-off hunt.....

Steelersfan
11-09-2008, 07:59 PM
Ok this is a great defense....Honestly I don't know how you can think other wise......Peyton Manning is a Hall of Fame QB and the defense held him in check for the most part......Ike Taylor just needs to learn how to catch the ball....lol

As for stopping the Colts offense with a short field....You can't give one of the all time best QBs a short field....Sorry its all on Ben.....

Thank God for the defense if not for them this team wouldn't even be in the play-off hunt.....

How do you know it is not all on Holmes?

The D has done a great job this year and I'm not knocking on them. Just saying it would be nice if they could actually stop a team from scoring after a TO. If you find the stat for that let me know cause it sure seems like the after a TO this D almost always lets the other team score.

Black@Gold Forever32
11-09-2008, 08:07 PM
How do you know it is not all on Holmes?

The D has done a great job this year and I'm not knocking on them. Just saying it would be nice if they could actually stop a team from scoring after a TO. If you find the stat for that let me know cause it sure seems like the after a TO this D almost always lets the other team score.

Against the Skins SF........The Steelers surprised onside and Ben had a tipped INT....Both gave the Skins a short field and the Steelers defense held the Skins to field goals...Yea the Skins still scored but the D did hold them to field goals and they were on the road....That is a great defense to me......

You can't give a great QB like Manning a short field to work with.....I understand your point and its a good point but its Peyton Manning....lol Hard to knock the boys when they played well enough to win the game today....

The first INT wasn't on Holmes....Sorry I can't agree with that one....You could have a case on the second one but it looked like Ben was way off target to me......I have to see a replay of it......

Ben is playing like a bum and he has for three straight games in a row.....100 million well spent so far...lol

Steelersfan
11-09-2008, 08:20 PM
On both those INT's it looked like Holmes went outside on the 1st one and started to stop on 2nd one while Ben was looking for him to go inside on both. Since I don't know the play called and what each was suppose to do I'm not going to blame just one of them. I blame both of them for not having their **** together.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-09-2008, 08:32 PM
I lay the blame squarely on both of their shoulders for not being on the same page but the edge goes to Ben for seeing the defenders coming across at the last minute to make a play on the ball. Plus he had atleast 2 others that were late in getting there that were almost picked so this could have been a 4 or 5 interception game. Not that it matters now, it's all relative because this offense continues to give games away.

Troyisabeast_43
11-09-2008, 09:14 PM
Against the Skins SF........The Steelers surprised onside and Ben had a tipped INT....Both gave the Skins a short field and the Steelers defense held the Skins to field goals...Yea the Skins still scored but the D did hold them to field goals and they were on the road....That is a great defense to me......

You can't give a great QB like Manning a short field to work with.....I understand your point and its a good point but its Peyton Manning....lol Hard to knock the boys when they played well enough to win the game today....

The first INT wasn't on Holmes....Sorry I can't agree with that one....You could have a case on the second one but it looked like Ben was way off target to me......I have to see a replay of it......

Ben is playing like a bum and he has for three straight games in a row.....100 million well spent so far...lol
The problem is the connection between Arians and Ben. The first one is a moron and Ben is becoming the same. I suspect arians is here because Ben like him so Arians leave Ben do what he wants . If we don't break this perverse jointure then things will become worse here sooner or later . We had a perfect example today on the first Int that is a play shoud have never call . I'm more worried about that call than the execution. To not run at least one play fake or bootleg on the goaline the series where the game is tied at 17 is just pure retardation on Arians part.

--- Added 11/9/2008 at 08:14 PM ---

I lay the blame squarely on both of their shoulders for not being on the same page but the edge goes to Ben for seeing the defenders coming across at the last minute to make a play on the ball. Plus he had atleast 2 others that were late in getting there that were almost picked so this could have been a 4 or 5 interception game. Not that it matters now, it's all relative because this offense continues to give games away.

I agree TG if the Steelers were getting beat straight up because the other teams were playing better that would be one thing, but these last 2 losses at home to the Giants and Colts were games that the Steelers simply gave away period. This team is too talented and too good to be doing this kind of **** every single game. As 32 was saying you cannot give Peyton Manning a short field on turnovers on 2 occasions like Ben did with those horrific interceptions of his. Manning is too good and he will tear your heart out and make you pay for it just like he did tonight.

HUNT4SEVEN
11-09-2008, 11:02 PM
Man our defense has been carrying us all year:tt02:Ben needs to rest for an week or two:rant2: he's costing us games:cursin: Tomling get some balls an sit Ben for an couple of weeks:cursin: we can't afford to keep giving games away like we are doing:cursin: did anyone else see how pissed James Harrison an the rest of the defense was? we have to stop shooting our selves in the foot:cursin:.

NCSteeler
11-10-2008, 07:06 AM
The D is outstanding and doing all they can. I refuse to lay any blame on them for not stoppng the colts on short field twice and not getting the picks, honestly both of Ike's tips were way to far off for him to Int. Troy should have had his, but Dallas got a hand in.

For the Arians haters, I assume we do what eh other 31 teams do and script our first drive or first 15 palys. We have the best percentage in the league on openign drive TDs, nuff said.
Ben needs to get his shoulder right. He has not been on in a while and didn't even test them deep today, the longer the game wore on the closer all 11 guys got the the line of scrimmage. Ben NEEDS practice, he has beent eh same all his career, he plays his best late in games and does terrible after injury and when not getitng a full week of pratice, he NEEDS that time to get in rythym.

Holmes, does anyone know if there is a place that keeps stats on who is being targeted when there is a INT? I swear most of Ben's INTs come when throwing to Holmes, they are not connecting lately.

Oh, did I mention the D ROCKS, and no I don't think they will start to point fingers, we are not the begnals or the browns or the ravens, we are a TEAM.

--- Added 11/10/2008 at 06:06 AM ---

Man our defense has been carrying us all year:tt02:Ben needs to rest for an week or two:rant2: he's costing us games:cursin: Tomling get some balls an sit Ben for an couple of weeks:cursin: we can't afford to keep giving games away like we are doing:cursin: did anyone else see how pissed James Harrison an the rest of the defense was? we have to stop shooting our selves in the foot:cursin:.

If James is so pissed then he needs to go out there and get a few damn sacks. We really missed the Wood today.

Steelersfan
11-10-2008, 07:45 AM
No one is blaming the D. All I said was it would be nice if they could get a stop after one of those TO's. As 32 stated, they held the Skins to FG's with the short field and we saw how that game turned out. We hold the Colts to a FG on any of those and this game may turn out different.
Same if we get the TD on 1st and goal instead of a FG.
And same if Ben and Holmes get on the same page!