PDA

View Full Version : Big Ben Promise to do better!

JensK
11-06-2008, 07:09 AM
Steelers: Big Ben promises he'll do better
NFL Week 10: Steelers vs. Colts
Thursday, November 06, 2008
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Nick Wass/Associated Press
Ben Roethlisberger passes against the Washington Redskins during the first quarter of Monday night's football game in Landover, Md.

Ben Roethlisberger emerged from a meeting with Steelers coach Mike Tomlin yesterday and promised everyone will see an improved quarterback and offense when he is able to resume playing.

Tomlin would not say what transpired between him and Roethlisberger at their morning meeting, but it appeared to have an effect on his quarterback.

"You know what? I have played sub-par football to date," Roethlisberger said. "It's time for that to change and it will change. I think as my performance changes, I think you'll see some changes in the offense because we'll be clicking more, we'll be making more completions and things will happen nice."

Roethlisberger may have to wait to put his new approach into action because it is possible he will not play Sunday. He did not practice yesterday and Tomlin said he will be evaluated daily.

An MRI Tuesday showed that his right shoulder, slightly separated in the season opener and re-injured Monday in Washington, essentially remained in the same condition as it has been.

"I think what happened, it was getting a lot better and then we went back to square one," Roethlisberger said about the hit he took when he sneaked 1 yard for a touchdown late in the first half of the Steelers' 23-6 victory against the Redskins. "I played through it before, and we'll do it again."

He also acknowledged that the brace on his left thumb is for support because a ligament was torn in the Steelers' Oct. 26 loss to the New York Giants.

"The doctor told me I'll probably wear this brace for eight weeks, practically till the end of the season. It feels better, but you have to keep it on to keep your thumb from bending all the way back."

Byron Leftwich replaced Roethlisberger to start the second half Monday night and completed 7 of 10 passes for 129 yards, one touchdown and a 145.8 passer rating. Roethlisberger was asked yesterday if it would not be wise to sit out this week, including the game against Indianapolis, to give his sore right shoulder a rest.

"You all want me to take a week off, don't you?" he said. "It seems like everyone's saying that to me. We took a week off for the bye week, and it still didn't get to 100 percent, so I don't think it would help. It's that time of year, we're halfway, it's the stretch for me, and it's time to start playing better for me."

Roethlisberger has followed his best statistical season with one that cannot match it through the first half. He has 10 touchdown passes, eight interceptions, a record pace of 26 sacks, the lowest completion percent at 57.6 of his career and a 79.6 passer rating. He set the Steelers' record last season when he posted a 104.1 rating.

Tomlin said if Roethlisberger promised to play better in the second half of the season, he's all for it.

"Ben has his opinion, and, if it is about helping us win and be better, then I concur," Tomlin said.

Roethlisberger's sore right shoulder could have something to do with his performance in the first half of the season. It was injured when Houston's Mario Williams stripped him of the ball in the opener. While he has not missed a game, he did not practice all week leading to the Steelers' 26-21 victory in Jacksonville Oct. 5, and Tomlin said a similar scenario could develop this week.

"Ideally, you do not like to do that, but we have done that this year," Tomlin said. "We may be in that situation again, but we will cross that bridge when we come to it. Right now, I am just interested and excited to see what he potentially looks like in the morning, and then go from there. I am always going to be optimistic."

Leftwich won two of his five starts against Indianapolis during his time as Jacksonville's starting quarterback. He threw seven touchdowns and one interception in his six appearances against the Colts and posted a 98.69 passer rating.

The two quarterbacks have decidedly different styles, and receiver Santonio Holmes outlined them:

"One throws a lot harder [Leftwich] than the other. One [Roethlisberger] wants to be more precise, one puts the ball on the line."

Holmes said it took a little time to adjust to Leftwich's fastball because he does not work with him much in practice.

"You want to be able to catch those kinds of balls," said Holmes, who caught one in Washington for a touchdown. "It gives you a better opportunity to make plays after the catch."

i don't know about this... i guees he's got a point with the whole bye-week thing, but id still like to see him recover 100 % before returning... Leftwich can get the job done so far, and it seems like the WRs are starting to get the grib of hes canonballs.

yinzer
11-06-2008, 07:32 AM
talk is cheap. :nono:

Captcoolhand
11-06-2008, 08:09 AM
How can he make promises to do better when He's not even going to change his ways. :scratch:

lloydfan4life
11-06-2008, 09:02 AM
As always, Ben's trying to shoulder the load for the offensive woes. :clap:

Hope he can follow through with his promises.

Ariens needs to go. 'nuff said!

SteelerNC
11-06-2008, 09:20 AM
Go Big Ben

ejsteeler
11-06-2008, 09:30 AM
I'm digging deeper here.....maybe what happened in that meeting is what allot of us wanted to happen, he told the big cheese that he is not happy with the play calling, the big cheese tells him he needs to do better on his own game and they each come out with both eyes open...:dunno:.....only time will tell.
I'm gonna believe that and keep my happy face on. :yesnod:

Iron City South
11-06-2008, 10:49 AM
This whole story wreaks of "insider issues" going on between him and the coaching staff. It sounds like the meeting between him and Tomlin was more about making changes in how they communicate and who calls the shots during the game more than anything else.

AZ_Steeler
11-06-2008, 11:14 AM
How can he make promises to do better when He's not even going to change his ways. :scratch:

That's my thoughts exactly! He is only going to be as good as his O-Line lets him unless all of a sudden he's going to go 1-2-3 release which he's never done and that's not something he can change in a week. He's probably has played one too many Madden games and it's a habit now to drop back roll to the left and right to buy some time then throw a deep bomb down field... which btw isn't really deep enough when your receiver has to run back to the ball!

I think MT told BR it's time to **** or get off the pot because BL looked awesome in the second half and could easily take his job!

steelerschick1220
11-06-2008, 11:36 AM
I'm digging deeper here.....maybe what happened in that meeting is what allot of us wanted to happen, he told the big cheese that he is not happy with the play calling, the big cheese tells him he needs to do better on his own game and they each come out with both eyes open...:dunno:.....only time will tell.
I agree with you. I think Ben needs to be aware that there are things he can change and improve on with his game. I think Tomlin needs to know that Arians sucks as an OC and should be unemployed after the season. Ben isn't going to get benched. We didn't pay him that much money just to have him warming a bench.

Dean Denton
11-06-2008, 11:46 AM
I think Ben needs to sit a week or 2. He missed 4 games, thne came back and took us to the Superbowl. BL can get it done with the up coming schedule. Ben is not playing good, he's not feeling good, and it shows. Sure we are 6-2, but thats because of the Def, not the QB.

Steel Trap86
11-06-2008, 12:43 PM
reality is that even if ben were to sit out a couple games, he's not going to be 100%. he's going to be playing with that seperated shoulder all season. MAYBE we should sit him this sunday against the colts depending on how Tomlin see's it, but he's gonna have to ride it out. The games that I am concerned about are the Ravens & Titans, which will be big time physical and you know the ravens are gonna bring the heat on him and that is a couple weeks before the playoffs! It is good to know Leftwich can step in, but I dont know that he could be consistant farther down the stretch like Ben can be.

but one thing i do know is that we need to invest in some better lineman during the off season. I think that should be a #1 priority. We're paying Ben 100 million, he should be better protected than this!!

Dean Denton
11-06-2008, 01:05 PM
I get that Ben is not going to be 100% for the rest of the year, but right now I dont think he gives us the best chance to win. He's playing about as bad as he did at the start of the 2006 season. All his numbers are down, he's not seeing the field like he should. Sure its great that he claims that he is going to do better, or try to do better but there is nothing right now that makes me think he will. He's too hurt. Trust me there is no other QB that I would rather have then Big Bionic Ben, but he could cost us the season, or worse his health.

HUNT4SEVEN
11-06-2008, 01:26 PM
i don't know about this... i guees he's got a point with the whole bye-week thing, but id still like to see him recover 100 % before returning... Leftwich can get the job done so far, and it seems like the WRs are starting to get the grib of hes canonballs.
Yea i agree:yellowthumb: let Ben sit for atleast 2 weeks an get that shoulder some much needed rest, granted it won't heal it in 2weeks but atleast he can get some rest, an come back determined to back up with his play what he's speaking with his mouth, he has to play better this second half of the season:imho::2cents:

BlitzburghRockCity
11-06-2008, 05:13 PM

This whole story wreaks of "insider issues" going on between him and the coaching staff. It sounds like the meeting between him and Tomlin was more about making changes in how they communicate and who calls the shots during the game more than anything else.

That's what Im thinking as well; something had to go down in that meeting that was a heart to heart, lay it on the line. Ben has been getting killed, not seeing the field, throws off the mark, WR's not coming back for the hot reads, TE not being used in the offense, etc. The play calling stinks and is so far off the mark of what is going to work that to me it still shows they don't have enough faith in Ben to run the offense regularly. we saw it for 2 games and then it went right back to the same old crap.

Byron comes in and sparks the offense but still there were drives in the 2nd half that were just completely stupid; like that reverse, stuff at the line and an incomplete pass.

This offense has to got to be more productive and do more things to beat the blitz besides blocking.

Stlrs4Life
11-06-2008, 06:36 PM
talk is cheap. :nono:

I agree fully. Don't sing it, bring it Ben!

Stairwayto7
11-06-2008, 06:46 PM
It all sounds weird

steelerschick1220
11-06-2008, 08:57 PM
It might do Ben good to sit out a week, but this shoulder problem isn't going to be cured by missing one game and some practice time. This is going to be bothering him for the rest of the year probably. He can still win us games with this injury, example Ravens and Jags, it is just a matter of the offense playing better.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-06-2008, 09:49 PM
Let's hope the "don't sing it, bring it" applies to some philosophy changes on offense from the play calling as well as from Ben's play.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-06-2008, 09:49 PM
Let's hope the "don't sing it, bring it" applies to some philosophy changes on offense from the play calling as well as from Ben's play.