PDA

View Full Version : Does Tomlin have the guts to change the offense?

BlitzburghRockCity
11-04-2008, 07:16 PM
Now let's put yesterdays come from behind rally aside and focus on this season as a whole when we have faced quality opponents and even against lesser teams when we had to come from behind or atleast struggled in various parts of the games. I would like to ask this question to the Steeler Nation…does anyone think that Tomlin has a clue on how an offense should be run? If you watch this team against quality opponents your answer should be a resounding “NO”! It’s ok if you have a Dick Lebeau running the defense because he knows what he’s doing.

He’s the head coach, he has the power to step in and make changes to the gameplan at will if he so chooses. When your team struggles the HC needs to make the necessary adjustments be it personnel, play calling, whatever. The fact that Arians still continues to run this offense in such an inept manner tells me that either Tomlin has no clue so he just lets Bruce do it his way or he wants to make adjustments but doesn’t have the guts to make Arians do things differently. At this point you can make a case for either scenario and maybe other ones but the fact remains that this offense continues to self destruct against the blitz and the players are not helping Ben out either.

How much more does this team have to endure week in and week out, year in and year out of inconsistent offensive play before somebody does something and realizes the potential this offense has. One week we play well then we face a good opponent and we can't do anything. You have a 100 million dollar QB who is getting killed every week, unable to consistently read the defensive coverage, hearing footsteps when they aren't always there, and a line that can’t get their act together, WR’s who drop passes, don’t turn around for the hot read, TE’s who don’t get the ball enough, you name it.

Iron City South
11-04-2008, 07:36 PM
Arians schemes are nothing more than recycled fecal matter that other teams have used for years. Steelers need to bring back the "Power I" formation and start imposing their will on opposing Defenses which opens up the passing game.

This bullshit of going empty backfield with a "bunch" formation or single back set in 3rd and shrort is terrible. Hell, Arians doesn't even have a HB screen in his playbook! He opts for WR screens that don't work because they're too complicated to execute.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-04-2008, 07:45 PM
He does love that bunch formation that's for sure. Granted it does give you a lot of options if the WR's can get the separation at the point of attack. It's that formation though that can cause problems too because if the defense drops personnel in that area or the safeties rush up to try and help cover the middle then you have Ben standing there waiting an extra 2 or 3 seconds to try and find someone and then the possibility of getting sacked dramatically increases. Every time I see that formation my blood pressure rises because I can just see Ben ready to get killed back there.

Why in God's name doesn't Ben roll out more, I mean for God sakes that used to be a staple in our offense and it almost always works. You roll out and throw to the TE or a WR down the sidelines, or maybe a streaking WR running a post pattern. It buys you so much time and allows you to see the field plus Ben is always good when he's on the move. Does Arians have more than one 3 step drop in his freekin playbook??? All the QB's in the league that don't get sacked very often are able to accomplish that because they have good lines and because they get rid of the ball quickly..something we have neither of.

HUNT4SEVEN
11-05-2008, 12:51 AM
Arians needs to take that 3tightend set back to Temple:cursin:, this is the N.F.L:cursin:Tomlin need to have the balls to either take over the play calling duties or make Arians call better plays:cursin: untill he do we are doomed:banging:

SteelerSal
11-05-2008, 08:31 AM
The bunch formation needs to be tossed to the curb. I'd rather run the ball from the spread formation for a better chance of the backs picking up a higher avg. per carry, by spreading the defense.
When the Steelers line up in the Bunch, I get pissed off before the play is even run because I know that the chances of a wasted play are greater than one that actually works. Alot of times that's the problem of Ben's pass protection because when the defense stunts or blitzes, he can't find an open reciever when they are releasing off the line from that formation. There is to much confusion in a small space.

LatrobePA
11-05-2008, 09:02 AM
<QUOTE> "Recycled fecal matter"

That sums it up with a nice touch! Love it man!!

Dean Denton
11-05-2008, 12:34 PM
Yeah I have been thinking the same thing when it comes to Tomlin, and knowing how to call an Off. He's a Def coach, and to me I say he has no clue how to run the "O". Why would you continue to let the same thing happen over and over for 2 season now?

Ambridge
11-05-2008, 01:10 PM
Yeah I have been thinking the same thing when it comes to Tomlin, and knowing how to call an Off. He's a Def coach, and to me I say he has no clue how to run the "O". Why would you continue to let the same thing happen over and over for 2 season now?

I believe this has been discussed long ago back to last season.
Arians is an obvious Play Calling and Schematic Baffoon and it has become more clear and evident to even those who wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt.

We as fans have pretty much accepted that if Tomlin is going to make a move on the OC it will be at the end of the season and if Tomlin hasn't stuck his nose in yet and put his foot down with Arians about how he's running the offense I seriously don't think he ever will.

Dean Denton
11-05-2008, 02:33 PM
Here this is funny... My father is a Raiders fan, and he thinks the we are stealing his plays because of how bad we look at times...lol

BlitzburghRockCity
11-05-2008, 05:59 PM
I believe this has been discussed long ago back to last season.
Arians is an obvious Play Calling and Schematic Baffoon and it has become more clear and evident to even those who wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt.

We as fans have pretty much accepted that if Tomlin is going to make a move on the OC it will be at the end of the season and if Tomlin hasn't stuck his nose in yet and put his foot down with Arians about how he's running the offense I seriously don't think he ever will.

That's what Im wondering about; is he is going to have the guts to make the change in the offseason. Obviously something isn't working here based on Ben getting killed this year; regardless of who's fault it is. Everybody knows the way to slow down the blitz is quick 3 step drops, short passes, roll outs, draws, no huddle, things that get the ball out of the QB's hands..and how often do we do any of those things...HARDLY EVER! :cursin:

tenToesUp
11-05-2008, 07:16 PM
We need to rip the playbook in half and get back to fundamentals. We don't need anything fancy until we can perform the basics to perfection. This scheme we are using is just wasting so amazing talent.

Dean Denton
11-06-2008, 12:02 PM
I wonder if they can change it because of the personel they have. I dont think we can go back to an I-formation because we lack the players. I do think we could run a more West Coast style Off, but I think it would be limited. Ben needs to get the ball out faster,and maybe that could help. I dont know if any of you saw this but on 2 of those sacks Monday Ben had WR open over the middle on a skinny post both times, and he failed to deliver the ball. On reply you can see it clear as day. Bottom line Ben needs to play better. BL would have made the throws.