PDA

View Full Version : Ben Roeth

Iron City South
11-04-2008, 11:57 AM
Not sure what gives with regard to Ben Roeth's performance over the past few weeks. No question he's playing at a "post cycle crash" level. Not only does he look unsure of himself, but his throws are not even close to their intended target.

Personally, I think it could be 1 of 2 things ... or possibly both.

1) Injuries are worse than anybody is willing to let on within the Steelers organization

or

2) Arians and Tomlin have gotten into his head and are ruining him which is affecting his confidence. Trying to make him work a system that he's not comfortable with.

Leftwich came in and delivered a stellar performance yesterday (even surprised me). Lefty looked poised and authorative in his throwing. He knew what he wanted to do with the ball and he delivered it with zest. Ben doesn't have that right now .... in fact, Ben doesn't even have "the look" in his eyes right now.

I say, whatever is ailing Roethlisberger, give him 2 weeks off to rejuvinate himself and let him get his head on straight. This will give him nearly 3 weeks to recouperate.

After that .... .we'll go from there and see where he is. :2cents:

TEEMONT
11-04-2008, 12:03 PM
roeth? you didnt know how to spell the rest of his name?

He has to be more hurt than he leads on. Watchign Leftwich come in and make decent pre-play reads really surprised me. He was able to gte rid of the ball quickly, even making some pump fakes, which when Ben does that he gets sacked or pressed out of the pocket.

Bottom line is, $100 million QB's don't have the luxury of being head cases.

ejsteeler
11-04-2008, 12:12 PM
I agree, I think his shoulder is much worse than they are letting on. His accuracy and zip have been off and we need him healthy.

DBR96A
11-04-2008, 12:15 PM
It might have to do with the fact that Ben has been clobbered all season long while Byron is just stepping in. Give Byron a few weeks and I'm sure he'd start to play erratically too.

ejsteeler
11-04-2008, 12:18 PM
It might have to do with the fact that Ben has been clobbered all season long while Byron is just stepping in. Give Byron a few weeks and I'm sure he'd start to play erratically too.

Oh, absolutely. Use that time to get Ben as healthy as possible. I don't think it will happen that way though.

LatrobePA
11-04-2008, 12:23 PM
He's like a dog that has been abused and beat'n all it's life, scared of everything...That is how it's been for BB, when he does have time he struggles just because he so used to having the hits/ pressure! Sorry fellas it may be perm. thing!!

lloydfan4life
11-04-2008, 12:32 PM

:plus1:
don't forget the clobbering he took last year too.
I think after being hit and knocked around so often it has to become somewhat of a mental distraction for him.

I also agree that it seems like his injuries are a little worse than they've let on. Ben's a tough-guy and is trying to play through them.... but it's gotta be affecting him.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-04-2008, 04:57 PM
Byron played very well last night, he did exactly what we needed him to do. As I mentioned before he is a carbon copy of Ben in terms of his style of play. He holds onto the ball, he tries to wait till the last minute to make something happen. He does see the field very well though and that was key last night. The thing that concerns me about him is that he still has a very slow, elongated release. He winds up and fires the ball which makes more prone to getting it batted down, telegraphed by a DB or just getting sacked. He did play well though but give him a few weeks behind our blocking and it's probably a safe bet he'll fall into similar circumstances that Ben has been in.

That being said he was great last night and gave us a much needed lift to pull this one out.

Iron City South
11-04-2008, 06:43 PM
Man, who edited this thread? Teemont was getting his *** torched by a "Elite Poster" ..... It we just getting good!

ItAintEasyBeingPeazy
11-04-2008, 09:21 PM
I agree, I think his shoulder is much worse than they are letting on. His accuracy and zip have been off and we need him healthy.

No doubt..i was wondering about the "zip" on the ball too...He hasn't looked sharp at all, that one throw he made that Rogers should have caught and taken for a pick six was rediculous.He stared down the reciever the whole time and threw a slow weak out pass.Something is definately wrong with him right now..some rest should do him some good, be it mental or physical.

steelerschick1220
11-04-2008, 09:41 PM
I just heard on ESPN news that John Clayton is saying that ben has a decent chance to play on sunday. Honestly, if he needs a week to collect himself or heal up from an injury, I wish he would take it. He doesn't have to be Mr Tough Guy all the time. We will understand if he needs a week.

HUNT4SEVEN
11-05-2008, 12:33 AM
Ben has taken an beaten this season an it has messed him up, plus i believe he hates Bruce Arians play calling, Ben needs about 2-3 weeks off, he has to get his head back into the game, were gonna need him come playoff time:2cents::tt02: Congrats OBAMA:clap::clap::tt02::yellowthumb:

steelerschick1220
11-05-2008, 11:58 AM
I think Ben hates Arians play calling as well. There are times he walks off the field shaking his head. Now, if that is from the play calling I don't know, but I have a theory it could be.

Iron City South
11-05-2008, 12:33 PM
I think Ben hates Arians play calling as well. There are times he walks off the field shaking his head. Now, if that is from the play calling I don't know, but I have a theory it could be.

:plus1: . . .

Ben doesn't want to ruffle feathers, but I too feel he's not sold on our schemes or the play-calling at times

LatrobePA
11-05-2008, 12:39 PM
BA is worthless the whole damn team knows it.....Ben is paying the price for it, they should put his old *** out there and have him look long all day with the pass rush in your face....

SteelersWoman
11-05-2008, 01:52 PM
Agree that Ben hasn't looked like Ben in several of our games, but I know there were at least 7 (or more) that he put right in our guys hands (or were catchable) in the 'Skins game, and they either dropped it before they were hit, or during the hit.

Also agree it appears as though Ben doesn't like the play calling, and something's been off with Hines too for a couple weeks--I saw NO smiles in the Giants game, and I think only one in the last one.

steelerschick1220
11-05-2008, 08:12 PM
I think our recievers to have to be held responsible for our offensive output in the first quarter as well as Ben. They dropped several balls that were catchable. Ben may not want to ruffle feathers, but I think if he were to maybe clue Tomlin in he hated it and if Tomlin were to drop a hint to Arians that if he doesn't start changing things, his *** is gone, perhaps that may that a fire under him.

jpele
11-05-2008, 09:44 PM
The thing that concerns me about him is that he still has a very slow, elongated release. He winds up and fires the ball which makes more prone to getting it batted down, telegraphed by a DB or just getting sacked. .

I believe this was a problem for him in Jacksonville, his windup makes it easy to knock the ball from his hands and gives DB's time to adjust.

As for Ben, well I don't know if anyone here has ever had separated shoulder or muscle strain of the shoulder but it is very painful,I honestly don't know how he's throwing the ball.

Rest will help it but Ben's arm won't heal completely until after the season.

Stlrs4Life
11-05-2008, 10:10 PM
John Clayton reported on SportsCenter tonight that Ben's shoulder suffered no additional damage, its the same injury as before and its just a matter of pain tolerance for Ben. No surgery is going to be needed, only rest will heal it.

Tomlin needs to make the call on what he sees in practice in terms of how healthy Ben is and decide if rest is needed or if he starts.

steelerschick1220
11-05-2008, 10:14 PM
Tomlin should decide. I think we all know if it is left up to Ben what choice he will make.