PDA

View Full Version : Byron Leftwich

TEEMONT
11-04-2008, 04:01 AM
Is anyone else here really happy we picked this guy up? He has played very "Bennish" on hos two relief games so far. Tonight he seemed like he ran the Offense better than Ben did, although I do think Ben is a little more hurt than he is leading on.

Anyways, my buddy asked me a funny question while we were watching the game, after Leftwich drove right down the field to start the 2nd half. He just looked at me and said, " QB controversy?" I told him not with Ben making over 100 million, and that the most popular QB in the Burgh is always the back-up.

AZ_Steeler
11-04-2008, 04:13 AM
He has a heck of an arm... his windup takes a little long but when it comes out of his hand it's like rocket! He was very calm and collective in the pocket and did a lot of good things. Remember though... he was back in his home town tonight :bigthumb:

TEEMONT
11-04-2008, 04:20 AM
He has a heck of an arm... his windup takes a little long but when it comes out of his hand it's like rocket! He was very calm and collective in the pocket and did a lot of good things. Remember though... he was back in his home town tonight :bigthumb:

I dont think being in his hometown had anything to do with it to be honest. he was pumped to play and came ready to make plays. he did the same in Philly for his one drive.

Was it just me or did it seem like he had a little more time to throw than Ben did?

AZ_Steeler
11-04-2008, 04:23 AM
I dont think being in his hometown had anything to do with it to be honest. he was pumped to play and came ready to make plays. he did the same in Philly for his one drive.

Was it just me or did it seem like he had a little more time to throw than Ben did?

I think it was he just got rid of the ball faster ;) lol

TEEMONT
11-04-2008, 04:27 AM

it seemed like he held the ball forever on a few plays...making two or three pump fakes...

NCSteeler
11-04-2008, 04:44 AM
Byron is a good back up QB, I am glad to have him, but he is a just a good back up QB to us. I'm sure someone will throw dollars his way next year and then we will get Batch back. His wind up is real long, I would think that given time to prepare for him teams would do better at jumping the routes. I appreciate the fact that he prepares well fo rthe game and comes in knowing what to do, too many back ups in tis league are clueless when called upon. But I guess when you are backing up soemone that takes as many hits as Ben does, you know you are getting in eventually.

steelersgal86
11-04-2008, 07:05 AM

That is what I kept saying:tt02:

BlitzburghRockCity
11-04-2008, 08:12 AM
He did exactly what we needed him to do last night and it couldn't have come at a better time. He's very similar to Ben in how he plays the game. Stands tall in the pocket, able to buy more time and see the field and make the play.

One thing about him though that was really cool to see was how he used the pump fake to freeze the defender. He did that several times last night and he really sold it each time which can be a killer for a defense. I was quite happy with his performance and he seemed to be right in sync with the WR's just like Tomlin said he was doing all year long so far.

LOL and no there is no QB controversy, Ben is the starter and when he's healthy he'll go back in and play. If Ben needs alittle rest though we know that, atleast on a temporary basis, we have a guy we can count on.

SteelerNC
11-04-2008, 08:59 AM
I sure am glad we picked him up, thats for sure

ejsteeler
11-04-2008, 10:43 AM
OK, I was one of the biggest Lefty bashers on the board. He looked good last night and did a good job. I will rethink my opinion....but don't hope for miracles, I'm stubborn. :nahnah:

Steelerlyn
11-04-2008, 10:59 AM
he did a fine job and was ready to play, just what a backup is suppose to do.

SteelersWoman
11-04-2008, 11:01 AM
Did anyone else notice how many drops our guys had last night when Ben was in? Multiple times they HAD the ball IN THEIR hands and dropped it. Killed Ben's rating (and probably his confidence). That many drops just isn't acceptable, and could very well have cost us the game had Ben stayed in and it continued.

I was impressed by Ben's reaction on the sideline when Byron was doing well though--showed maturity and team spirit.

SteelfordWexler
11-04-2008, 11:04 AM
I think Lefty playing like he did is the best thing that could have happened for Ben. He is a little gun shy right now - he isn't executing and looks antimidated by the blitz looks we are getting. Having a chance to get out of the fire for a while and see it from the sideline - especially when Lefty stood in there like a soldier and played pretty well - will help Ben to get back his composure and control.

Stairwayto7
11-04-2008, 11:05 AM
Ben is our QB.

Ben was probably hurt more than he leads on!

Byron is good is backup situations. He played well last night. We need a quality back up.

steelerschick1220
11-04-2008, 11:13 AM
Ben is our guy. Byron had a good game, but I wonder how much of his performance was the fact that it was MNF in his hometown. Byron did better then I thought, but I don't have complete confidence that he could do that for an extended period of time.

Ambridge
11-04-2008, 11:31 AM
Don't forget Byron is auditioning for the rest of the league and more than likely wont be here next season.
He wants to prove he got a raw deal in Jacksonville and that he can be a starter with another team.

ToothAche
11-04-2008, 12:27 PM
I think we should let Ben get some rest next week and go with Byron. Why Not?? Let's admit Ben has sucked it up just about every game this year. Ben looks scared, Byron looks calm and decisive. Leftwich has something to prove, so why not let him?

Dean Denton
11-04-2008, 12:32 PM
If Lefty keeps winning do you still pull him when Ben is ready to go? Now I'm saying if this is 4-6 weeks down the road. I'm not sure how banged up Ben is, but if he's out for 4-6 weeks, and Lefty wins those games to put us at 10-2 hhhmmm....I'm all about the team winning, and I dont care how we get it done. My loyalty is to the team not any one player....Your thoughts?

Iron City South
11-04-2008, 12:39 PM
Leftwich looked very sharp; throwing rockets and threw with authority (knew where he was going with the ball ....unlike Ben)

Sorry Charlie, I know you're a Pittsburgh native and all, but Leftwich just solidified his spot on this team as our permanent 2nd stringer.

TEEMONT
11-04-2008, 01:04 PM
Leftwich looked very sharp; throwing rockets and threw with authority (knew where he was going with the ball ....unlike Ben)

Sorry Charlie, I know you're a Pittsburgh native and all, but Leftwich just solidified his spot on this team as our permanent 2nd stringer.

Leftwich wont be here next year....even if we resign him, he just became trade bait for this offseason.

Black@Gold Forever32
11-04-2008, 01:10 PM
I suggested last night that Ben sit out the next 2-3 games....I think he needs the rest and I agree he is more hurt then originally led on.....I think if Ben gets the much needed rest he refresh mentally and heal physically.....With the way the defense is playing right now the team will be fine with Byron under center......

lloydfan4life
11-04-2008, 01:17 PM
If Lefty keeps winning do you still pull him when Ben is ready to go? Now I'm saying if this is 4-6 weeks down the road. I'm not sure how banged up Ben is, but if he's out for 4-6 weeks, and Lefty wins those games to put us at 10-2 hhhmmm....I'm all about the team winning, and I dont care how we get it done. My loyalty is to the team not any one player....Your thoughts?

Did you fall and hit your head? :duh:
This is Ben's team, no matter how a back-up QB plays in his absence, be it a half game or the rest of the season.

Byron played extremely well last night when called upon, but IMO if teams know he's playing and have a week to prepare for him you wouldn't see quite the same guy you did last night. There's a reason why he's no longer in Jagoffville. He's a great back-up for us and I give him all the credit in the world for the way he played last night..... but he'll never replace Ben.

ejsteeler
11-04-2008, 01:19 PM
:ditto:

Dean Denton
11-04-2008, 01:31 PM
Did you fall and hit your head? :duh:
This is Ben's team, no matter how a back-up QB plays in his absence, be it a half game or the rest of the season.

Byron played extremely well last night when called upon, but IMO if teams know he's playing and have a week to prepare for him you wouldn't see quite the same guy you did last night. There's a reason why he's no longer in Jagoffville. He's a great back-up for us and I give him all the credit in the world for the way he played last night..... but he'll never replace Ben.
Thats not what I asked. I asked do you pull him if he wins 5 or 6 games in a row? I know whos team this is, but if your team is doing well, and you are winning ball games, do you make the change? Clearly they are not going with Young in Tennessee because of how well Collins is playing right now. Our Off was able to move the ball well last night in the second half, and we took over the game. I know that it has alot to do with the Skins prep for Ben and not Lefty, but we still looked like a better team. I asked do you make the change?

Oh, and yes I fell on my head at half time of the Giants-Steelers game when I tumbled down the stairs....lol

lloydfan4life
11-04-2008, 01:40 PM
Thats not what I asked. I asked do you pull him if he wins 5 or 6 games in a row? I know whos team this is, but if your team is doing well, and you are winning ball games, do you make the change? Clearly they are not going with Young in Tennessee because of how well Collins is playing right now. Our Off was able to move the ball well last night in the second half, and we took over the game. I know that it has alot to do with the Skins prep for Ben and not Lefty, but we still looked like a better team. I asked do you make the change?

Oh, and yes I fell on my head at half time of the Giants-Steelers game when I tumbled down the stairs....lol

I still say you have to put Ben back in when he's ready, no matter how well Byron has played. JMO. :yesnod:

(sorry to hear about the mishap at the Giant-Steeler game!)

Dean Denton
11-04-2008, 02:13 PM
I still say you have to put Ben back in when he's ready, no matter how well Byron has played. JMO. :yesnod:

(sorry to hear about the mishap at the Giant-Steeler game!) I'm fine. I was too drunk to even know I did it. My wife told me about it the next day. It was a rough day all around.

scott0326
11-04-2008, 03:21 PM
I'm glad they signed Leftwich, he played well last night and made no mistakes whatsoever, what more can you ask from a backup Qb.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-04-2008, 05:50 PM
BG32 and I were debating this alittle bit...IMO if Ben is healthy he is the starter and he goes back in. If he is still beat up and could use a break then by all means lets go with Byron and get Ben rest.

Having said that though, if God forbid Ben has to miss a few weeks and all of the sudden Byron goes 3-0 as the starter you sure as hell don't keep Ben on the bench. This isn't Bubby Brister and Cliff Stoudt here we're talking about; this is your franchise QB who is the heart and sole of this team. When he's healthy he's the man. Now who's to say he's really healthy because we don't know for sure, only Tomlin and the trainers can make that call so we have to trust them as to when Ben will be ready to go.

The colts defense is not that great so if Byron has to go he should be able to have a good chance for success.

jpele
11-04-2008, 06:03 PM
Lefty was poised and decisive last night, I think they should sit Ben for a week or two and get him healthy.

If things start going down hill ,you can always but Ben back into the game.

I don't believe Leftwich will be trade bait, we only signed him for one year.

Troyisabeast_43
11-04-2008, 06:20 PM

Leftwich did a helluva job last night no doubt about it, but it's going to take a lot more then one good half of football from him playing QB before I even get the thought in my head of wanting to replace Big Ben with him. The Steelers just need to take this thing one week and one day at a time with Ben. The bottom line here in the next few weeks with these 3 home games with Indy,SD,and Cincy is take care of business at home and get your record to 9-2 and 8-0 in the conference no matter who is in there. If this happens the Steelers have an excellent shot of wrapping up the North and putting a huge stamp on that number 2 seed and bye week in the AFC with still a legit chance to catch the Titans for the number 1 overall seed...

BlitzburghRockCity
11-04-2008, 06:26 PM
That's my point as well. If Byron has to play next week and he does well then that's great. He's doing what we need from him and we're lucky to have him. this is still Ben's team though. If there was a week for Ben to get a rest if he's not healthy it would be this one because the Colts D is decent but not great. With Parker and Moore in there and Holmes back in along with Heath possibly returning this team can do it with either player. I don't want to risk Ben for the long haul if he's not ready but if he is, stick him in and let's get rolling.

Black@Gold Forever32
11-04-2008, 07:14 PM
Top I never said this wasn't Ben team and I want him replaced...I just would like to see him rest for 2-3 weeks or even a month....Even if Byron wins all of his starts if he does indeed start 1 game or 3 then Ben should still be the starter......I would like to get Ben healthy and let him refresh mentally....We need Ben for the play-offs.....Ben is more battle tested for the play-offs then Leftwich....

BlitzburghRockCity
11-04-2008, 07:21 PM
I know you didn't bro, I wasn't trying to insinuate that you did. If he needs rest then by all means give it to him. You and I just disagree a bit on when he should come back. It's a tough call either way man. Ben has been in a slump the last 2 games and Byron gave us a much needed spark. We may not have won that game if Byron doesn't come in and spark the O...or maybe we do but if the first half was any indication then we'd have probably lost.

We're just lucky we have a good defense and solid ST to carry the O when they sputter.

Silverback 92
11-04-2008, 09:00 PM
Leftwich did a good job and all but they aint paying Ben to sit out if he can play

HUNT4SEVEN
11-05-2008, 01:39 AM
I didn't like Byron at first i thought Culpepper would be an better fit, but now i'm glad we have him:yellowthumb: he's only an band aid right now though, i say let him start the next 3weeks an let Ben get healthy an clear his mind:2cents::tt02::helmet:

TampaSteelGirl
11-06-2008, 10:18 PM
At first I was not happy with them getting him because he use to be a Jag!! But i was quite impressed with him monday night...Good choice!

DIESELMAN
11-06-2008, 10:28 PM
I would like to get Ben healthy and let him refresh mentally....We need Ben for the play-offs.....Ben is more battle tested for the play-offs then Leftwich....

:plus1: He definitely needs to regroup, he's taken to much pounding and that has got to effect him mentally.....

JensK
11-07-2008, 03:14 AM
I really don't like the whole "this is ben's team!". No! This is whoever plays the best football's team! If Big Ben plays worse than Leftwich, well then you start Leftwich.. As much as i like Ben, i like victory more, and Big Ben havnt played like he can win anything at all the last few games..

snowman79
11-07-2008, 07:58 AM
Have to agree with dieselman Ben could do with a break and if Leftwich can produce the goods then why the hell not, this team is bigger than just one guy as long as we chalk up the W after the game then i am happy. Only flaw i can see id Leftwich hasnt got as quick a release as Big Ben but if the O can give him the time then that pigskin is gonna come out of there like a rocket and with Santonio and Ward on the end of it we can take anyone. Bring it on Steelers all the way !!!!

SteelerSteve
11-08-2008, 10:49 AM
Okay, Ben is my favorite player and I'm not gonna lie, I almost didn't want Byron to do that great, maybe just good enough to win the game. Now, I realize thats pretty dumb and I am glad that he played as well as he did. Right now Byron is the better quarterback option for us to be successful. I hope they start him until Ben is completley healthy and ready to go out and perform. If you think about it, Ben came out in week one and looked fantastic. Then when he got hit from behind by Mario Williams you know that hurt him, but he still played and he still did pretty good. After that game though you could kinda tell that the injury was bothering him, not to mention getting beat up so bad in the eagles game, and thats when the offense really started to suffer. The only exception so far has been the Jacksonville game.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-09-2008, 01:29 AM
Im glad we've got Leftwich on this team, from when we Batch and now with Byron Tomlin has done a good job of keeping solid veteran backups waiting in the wings. Tomlin though isn't going to keep Ben on a short leash at this time, so as long as he's healthy he'll be in there.

K Train
11-09-2008, 02:55 AM
im glad we have him too, hes about as good of a backup as you can get...fact remains he won alot of games and he did go 7th overall, hes a quality QB. hes had some issues fundamentally but an awful lot of teams out there are much worse off. thank god we didnt sign culpepper.

TEEMONT
11-09-2008, 11:08 AM
im glad we have him too, hes about as good of a backup as you can get...fact remains he won alot of games and he did go 7th overall, hes a quality QB. hes had some issues fundamentally but an awful lot of teams out there are much worse off. thank god we didnt sign culpepper.

7th overall doesn't mean a thing though. Dave Klinger, Akilia Smith, Heath Shuler, Todd Blackledge, Andre Ware, Ryan Leaf, Cade Mcown, and Tim Couch, just to name a few were all drafted high too. They had that "pedigree" that people here seem to drool over, and they did nothing but turn out to be bums.

He has had a good career and is probably the best back-up in the league right now. But I don't care where he was drafted.

K Train
11-09-2008, 02:14 PM
7th overall doesn't mean a thing though. Dave Klinger, Akilia Smith, Heath Shuler, Todd Blackledge, Andre Ware, Ryan Leaf, Cade Mcown, and Tim Couch, just to name a few were all drafted high too. They had that "pedigree" that people here seem to drool over, and they did nothing but turn out to be bums.

He has had a good career and is probably the best back-up in the league right now. But I don't care where he was drafted.

i understand that, im well aware of all the failures the 1st round has produced, but i wouldnt put leftwich in that category

TEEMONT
11-09-2008, 02:16 PM
i understand that, im well aware of all the failures the 1st round has produced, but i wouldnt put leftwich in that category

me either...I'm just saying he's not good b/c he was 7th overall....he's good b/c he is good....as ****ing dumb as that sounds.

steelcityrockers
11-09-2008, 03:30 PM

Wow, I have not been here for a while.

Anyway, the fact that he did go that high at the very least shows that he has talent. All those you mentioned were incredibly talented but couldn't capitilize.

K Train
11-09-2008, 04:18 PM

Anyway, the fact that he did go that high at the very least shows that he has talent. All those you mentioned were incredibly talented but couldn't capitilize.

there it is lol

TEEMONT
11-09-2008, 04:46 PM

or they were system QB's....