PDA

View Full Version : Best Defense in the NFL no question!

BlitzburghRockCity
11-03-2008, 11:49 PM
What a dominating defensive effort tonight, they played gap sound all night long and held the leading rusher in check. That was key, you stop Portis and you stop the Redskins. Campbell needs a running game just like the Steelers do and when you take that away you can pin your ears back and come after him.

6 sacks
2 Int.
Portis only had 73 yds but up until late in the 4th he was only at 51 yds or so.

You just can't say enough about Farrior and what this dude does, 11 Tackles, 1 Assist, and a half sack. Wood and Harrison were all over Campbell tonight but Farrior was just all over the field making plays tonight. Our banged up secondar was able to do their job because of the great pass rush.

BlacknGold Bleeder
11-03-2008, 11:53 PM
Think ya might have missed a sack thought they had 7 ... they definitely best D :tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02:

AZ_Steeler
11-03-2008, 11:55 PM
This defense is the best I've seen in quite some time. The offense can turn the ball over and not worry about a thing b/c the D will stop the opposing offense.

Black@Gold Forever32
11-03-2008, 11:58 PM
I agree 100 percent that they are the best defense in the NFL.....They rank up there with those early/mid 90s Blitzburgh defenses.........They're Super Bowl level for sure....

ItAintEasyBeingPeazy
11-04-2008, 12:00 AM
No doubt..with that start stopping them to field goals on our 30 yd line twice..the D set the tone right from the start. How about the Steeler Nation Representin at Fed Ex Field!! Sweet.:tt02:

BlitzburghNation
11-04-2008, 12:06 AM
No Question,,,,,,,,,I've been saying this all year :towelwave:

Also been saying Polamalu is back :headbanger1: Simply because he's healthy :clap:

Off a little on my prediction,,,,,I called at least 4 sacks and Ben throwing for 3 TD's
But my score was kinda close :lol: at least on our side !

Stairwayto7
11-04-2008, 12:07 AM
7 sacks, they kick a$$. But last week we couldn`t get near manning

Black@Gold Forever32
11-04-2008, 12:14 AM
No Question,,,,,,,,,I've been saying this all year :towelwave:

Also been saying Polamalu is back :headbanger1: Simply because he's healthy :clap:

Off a little on my prediction,,,,,I called at least 4 sacks and Ben throwing for 3 TD's
But my score was kinda close :lol: at least on our side !

Troy actually being asked to play safety instead of always using him in his Taz role is also a reason....Lets be honest teams started to scheme against Troy and his Taz role.....His Taz role of running around and playing close to the line of scrimmage wasn't as effective the last few years...He was drafted to play safety so use him there...He has the speed to cover but he just needed to refine his coverage skills.....I'm ok him free lancing at times but I prefer this Troy then to the one flying around and being out of position........It was great while it worked but teams do watch film and adjust.....

Troyisabeast_43
11-04-2008, 12:20 AM
I agree 100 percent that they are the best defense in the NFL.....They rank up there with those early/mid 90s Blitzburgh defenses.........They're Super Bowl level for sure....

No doubt I hope this game tonight was a strong statement not only to the Baltimore Ravens in the AFC North who are still very much in this division race, but also to the Tennessee Titans in the AFC as well that the Steelers are for real and down the line the Titans despite their undefeated 8-0 record right now are going to have to go through the Steelers if they want to make it to the Super Bowl in the AFC...

BlitzburghNation
11-04-2008, 12:27 AM
Troy actually being asked to play safety instead of always using him in his Taz role is also a reason....Lets be honest teams started to scheme against Troy and his Taz role.....His Taz role of running around and playing close to the line of scrimmage wasn't as effective the last few years...He was drafted to play safety so use him there...He has the speed to cover but he just needed to refine his coverage skills.....I'm ok him free lancing at times but I prefer this Troy then to the one flying around and being out of position........It was great while it worked but teams do watch film and adjust.....

:scratch: little confused on the Taz thing,,,,,What games i've got to see,it seems to me like he's always around the ball and all over the field and I know all about last year,but I beleve it was his nagging injuries he had last year,,,,,,,,,,,I know we can agree on Troy having a great year 'so far'

Still think he free lances,but not as much and he gives it 100% every single play,no-one can take that away from him and that's why he's my favorite player :yellowthumb:

HUNT4SEVEN
11-04-2008, 12:39 AM
Man our defense plays lights out week in an week out:yellowthumb: 32 sacks an 6 int's :tt02::cope::clap:

BR7
11-04-2008, 12:39 AM
This years bookend rushers of Harrison/Woodley remind me of the Greene/Lloyd of the 90s as well. Too bad our OL isn't like the early 90s, :lol:

Definately a SB defense, thats for sure.

Black@Gold Forever32
11-04-2008, 12:40 AM
:scratch: little confused on the Taz thing,,,,,What games i've got to see,it seems to me like he's always around the ball and all over the field and I know all about last year,but I beleve it was his nagging injuries he had last year,,,,,,,,,,,I know we can agree on Troy having a great year 'so far'

Still think he free lances,but not as much and he gives it 100% every single play,no-one can take that away from him and that's why he's my favorite player :yellowthumb:

Trust me he isn't free lancing as much and he isn't playing as close to the line of scrimmage....Big reason why he doesn't get as many tackles as he use to....Sure he gets his share but he doesn't have those huge tackle games like he use to...He is being asked to play as a more natural safety........He even stated this and one of the big reasons is Lawrence Timmons when he is out there.....Timmons takes on some of what Troy was asked to do in the sub packages allowing Troy to cover more as a safety.....

I really don't know how you're confused....How many times have you seen Troy blitz this year?...Not many since the last few years when he blitzed he wasn't effective...

BlitzburghNation
11-04-2008, 12:45 AM
Trust me he isn't free lancing as much and he isn't playing as close to the line of scrimmage....Big reason why he doesn't get as many tackles as he use to....Sure he gets his share but he doesn't have those huge tackle games like he use to...He is being asked to play as a more natural safety........He even stated this and one of the big reasons is Lawrence Timmons when he is out there.....Timmons takes on some of what Troy was asked to do in the sub packages allowing Troy to cover more as a safety.....

I really don't know how you're confused....How many times have you seen Troy blitz this year?...Not many since the last few years when he blitzed he wasn't effective...

Nice breakown and you are right about him blitzing less,,,,,,,,Guess i've been trying to read you giving him some love :lol:
Because I know what a huge Polamalu fan you are,,,,,,:greengrin:

Oh Yeah,,,,,The guys in the locker room call him the " Quiet Storm "

BR7
11-04-2008, 12:52 AM

:lol:

I know it pains him to admit TP is playing better. BG32 had pretty schrewd (and accurate) comments about his play last year. I can read between the lines and looks like BG32 is a big TP fan this year :nahnah:

Black@Gold Forever32
11-04-2008, 01:09 AM
Nice breakown and you are right about him blitzing less,,,,,,,,Guess i've been trying to read you giving him some love :lol:

Oh Yeah,,,,,The guys in the locker room call him the " Quiet Storm "

I have love/hate relationship with Troy....I love his athletic ability....He is a freak athlete......But I really didn't like him free lancing which he stated many times he loved doing that.....Teams watch film and adjust to that...I'm also not suggesting to never use him in that role again....I still think he could be effective at times with that role but don't use him frequently in that role....I actually prefer to have his speed in coverage.....Plus over time he will refine his coverage skills and in my opinion we starting to see him becoming a more complete safety...

--- Added 11/4/2008 at 12:09 AM ---

:lol:

I know it pains him to admit TP is playing better. BG32 had pretty schrewd (and accurate) comments about his play last year. I can read between the lines and looks like BG32 is a big TP fan this year :nahnah:

My rants on Troy began when I started seeing him being less and less effective with him playing his Taz Role.....That is the name I have always used for Troy's role with the defense in the past.....But this year and him being healthy is a huge reason no doubt.....But in my opinion deploying Troy more as a safety in coverage is another reason on why he is making at least INTs....I'm sorry but we need his speed in coverage and not at the line of scrimmage.....lol

I agree that I went over board with my rants on Troy...But you have to understand it was purposely did on my part to engage conversation......Sorry if we all agree on everything then this place would be boring...lol I also will always state on how I feel and never sugar coat anything....That is just the way I am....Does it make me out to be an *** at times....Of course but I'm not perfect...lol

K Train
11-04-2008, 02:42 AM
troy is playing great over the top like a safety should play....and its funny, cause all of you bitched and moaned about our corners giving a cushion and how thats the worse idea ever...well the cushion is still there and they are playing great and its all because they moved troy to safety rather than mini LB. maybe all of us who were so critical of troy knew what we were talking about because it didnt take much to elevate his game and make the whole defense better cause there is no question hes playing over the top more than usual.

im so happy with the way hampton has played after such an awful start, i said woodley was gonna lead LBs in sacks and hes on pace to make a push for that, hes in 3rd with 9.5 and harrison has 10...thats a ****ing duo worth praising. And timmons is a badass in his own right, he just does work on that field. and with mcfadden out (who i love) and deshea taking his spot.....gay flourished in the NB role

NCSteeler
11-04-2008, 03:56 AM
The whole game I was thinking"Is this Defense for REAL or what" Holy Crap they are good. As for Farrior his is the true heart of thsi team. I noticed onthe 4th and goal Troy must have saw somethign and walked over to Farrior righ tbefore the paly and said something then Troy came hard to stop the run and Farior was right on the play in coverage. PS why do they throw on 4th and goal? Out thought themselves a little.

franktillo
11-04-2008, 04:25 AM
Lets be honest. The D is nasty. I cannot dispute that. They have shut down every team. They lost to the Giants, but they played superb D! I will not say that they are the best in the NFL yet, have to see what Tenn. does against a good offensive team first. They have been filthy on the defensive side of the ball, but I cannot tell if it is the Tenn. players or their opposition yet. I would go as far as to say at the moment they are 1A and 1B, but neither has seperated from the other yet!

ejsteeler
11-04-2008, 09:41 AM
Dare I say I am reminded of the 70's D's.......even better though!. :yesnod:

steelerschick1220
11-04-2008, 09:49 AM
Wow......our D is freakin AMAZING!!!! They are for real and they are definetly a Super Bowl caliber defense. I love watching them play. They are just so awesome!!!!!!!

I <3 our D.

portcityblackandgold
11-04-2008, 11:19 AM
Defense in the red zone is off the chain. Two TDs in three games? Is that right?

Stairwayto7
11-04-2008, 11:23 AM
Think about how we started.
On side kick - failed - held to three points
Interception - three and out again - three points.
4 minutes into the game 0-6
Next 56 minutes - ZERO, against a QB with no, I mean 2 interceptions, and the leagues leading runner.

Lights OUT D

Dean Denton
11-04-2008, 11:51 AM
I think this is the best Def in the league...by far. These guys hit, and hit. Continue to make plays, and give us a chance to win every game. Not sure if I'm ready to crown them about the 70's "D", but they seem to be playing better than any unit since then.

Its our Off that leaves me in tears. I think they suck...Its either go deep for 50 yards or get sacked. And last night it was drop the ball over and over....

ejsteeler
11-04-2008, 12:09 PM
It seems our O is getting more problems as we go instead of correcting the ones we had. We are in a scary situation. Just a semblance of consistancy and execution on the offense and we can make it deep into the season if not all the way. It's all on the O right now.

DIESELMAN
11-04-2008, 01:30 PM
Remember.....Defense wins Championships!!!!! As long as our D is playing at this level, we'll be in every game no matter what the offense does. The one thing aside from the sacks and our run D is our ability to force 3 and outs on 1/3 of the drives against opposing offenses, thats badass right there. The Redskins didn't convert a third down until late in the third quarter (3-15 thats 20% for the game). The Skins had possession of the ball on 14 drives, 5 times they were held to 3 downs and punt, on 2 other possessions they were held to 3 downs and 2 FG's. Two more drives ended in Int's and 2 drives ended in downs.

Red Zone efficiency: 0-3
Goal to go efficiency: 0-1

Even with our banged up secondary, we held Moss and Randle El to 5 receptions for 36 yards....Wow!!!

TOTAL DOMINATION!!!!! :cope::cope::cope::cope::cope:

ejsteeler
11-04-2008, 01:34 PM
The only problem is our D will wear down if our O cannot stay on the field for extended drives to give them rest.

Dean Denton
11-04-2008, 01:47 PM
I love our Def, and I know Def wins Championships. But the Off scores the points,and we are really having a hard time there. The Titans are looking like a better Off than we are. And their Def is clearly playing good enough to win a championship. Their running game seems to be playing at a much higher level than ours, and I think that will make the differnece. Collions has been sacked 1 time all year. Their O-line opens huge holes for those HB. We have 8 games to figure out how to play Off at a level close to that or we have no chance of beating them no matter how good our Def is playing. Sure we can shut down the run, but I dont think we ball hawk enough and get the Int's needed to win enough late in the year. The Jags of last year were similar to this Titans team this year, but I think this Titans team is better than the Jags of last year. And what happened to us twice last year against the Jags?

scott0326
11-04-2008, 02:17 PM
Defense dominated last night! The stopped Portis and they stopped Campbell! what a great game by the D!

steelerschick1220
11-04-2008, 09:44 PM
Our red zone D is tremendous. At this point, I have no reason to expect anything less then field goals from our opponets. I love watching them play.

Troyisabeast_43
11-04-2008, 11:54 PM
I love our Def, and I know Def wins Championships. But the Off scores the points,and we are really having a hard time there. The Titans are looking like a better Off than we are. And their Def is clearly playing good enough to win a championship. Their running game seems to be playing at a much higher level than ours, and I think that will make the differnece. Collions has been sacked 1 time all year. Their O-line opens huge holes for those HB. We have 8 games to figure out how to play Off at a level close to that or we have no chance of beating them no matter how good our Def is playing. Sure we can shut down the run, but I dont think we ball hawk enough and get the Int's needed to win enough late in the year. The Jags of last year were similar to this Titans team this year, but I think this Titans team is better than the Jags of last year. And what happened to us twice last year against the Jags?

We will find out soon enough because these two teams are going to cross paths in late December and most likely in the playoffs as well and we will see how things play out. Sure the Jags did beat the Steelers twice last year and this Titans team is similar to them but remember that this Steelers defense and team as a whole is a lot better then the Steelers team from a year ago. The Steelers will not let Chris Johnson and Lendale White run on them it just will not happen when they play them. The Steelers defense will make Kerry Collins have to beat them throwing the football. You can sit there and say the Steelers havent seen a team like the Titans so far this season , well the Titans havent see and played a defense like the Steelers yet this season either. I want to see how Tennessee's running game does this week in Chicago against a very good Bears defense.

coggsnyrnyg
11-05-2008, 11:20 AM
Best D in AFC, probably. Giants have the best defense in the NFL.

NOVA STEELERS
11-05-2008, 11:28 AM
Best D in AFC, probably. Giants have the best defense in the NFL.
Total D
Nope...........
1st STEELERS
2nd Raturds
3rd Gints

Passing D
1st STEELERS
2nd Gints

Rushing D
1st Raturds
2nd Vikes
3rd STEELERS
4th NY jets
5th forskins
7th gints

So there you have it

NFL.com SAID SO :lol:

steelerschick1220
11-05-2008, 11:55 AM
I think our D is the best in the NFL. I think they are better then the Titans and for sure they are better then the Giants.

Dean Denton
11-05-2008, 12:39 PM
I think our D is the best in the NFL. I think they are better then the Titans and for sure they are better then the Giants. I cant argue about us having the best Def in the league because we do. But those Giants are pretty darn good too. They get pressure from the front four, and we use 7+ to get that done. We had 0 sacks againsts them, and I think in large part because they practice against such a good Def. We may be #1, but I have to say the Giants are a close #2.

$teelersRule
11-05-2008, 12:42 PM
i like to look at the game between the ravens and the titans as a good measurement. as much as i hate the ravens they can stop the run just as well as us if not better... the titans only scored 13 points in that game winning 13-10 i think the steelers D will keep the titans running game in check and i like to think we can score more than 13 points... i think the steelers match up extremely well with the titans and when we do play them the steelers should win the game convincingly

Dean Denton
11-05-2008, 02:35 PM
i like to look at the game between the ravens and the titans as a good measurement. as much as i hate the ravens they can stop the run just as well as us if not better... the titans only scored 13 points in that game winning 13-10 i think the steelers D will keep the titans running game in check and i like to think we can score more than 13 points... i think the steelers match up extremely well with the titans and when we do play them the steelers should win the game convincingly But do you think we can beat then Twice???

ejsteeler
11-05-2008, 02:41 PM
But do you think we can beat then Twice???

Do you think they can beat us twice?

Dean Denton
11-05-2008, 02:48 PM
Do you think they can beat us twice?
Hahahaha, too-shay...No I dont think they can. However I give them a better chance if both games are in their house. Like the Giants, I would rather have us winning the rematch....lol

ejsteeler
11-05-2008, 02:55 PM
Hahahaha, too-shay...No I dont think they can. However I give them a better chance if both games are in their house. Like the Giants, I would rather have us winning the rematch....lol

:lol: I knew where you were going, I just couldn't resist. It's the smart a$$ in me, sorry. :reddevil:

coggsnyrnyg
11-05-2008, 06:07 PM
I think our D is the best in the NFL. I think they are better then the Titans and for sure they are better then the Giants.
Haha. When the Giants beat the Steelers in February, assuming the steelers win the AFC, I will remember this post. The Giants just beat the Steelers IN PITTSBURGH and aside for 1 big play and one drive totally shut down your squad.

K Train
11-05-2008, 06:23 PM
Haha. When the Giants beat the Steelers in February, assuming the steelers win the AFC, I will remember this post. The Giants just beat the Steelers IN PITTSBURGH and aside for 1 big play and one drive totally shut down your squad.

and the giants kicked a bunch of field goals and needed a LS to get hurt to win the game...impressive

coggsnyrnyg
11-05-2008, 07:20 PM
When you only give up 14 points, a bunch of FG's and a TD gets the W. Besides, even without the safety, the Giants win that game. The punt goes off, they still have great field position and march down the field as they did after the safety.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-05-2008, 07:41 PM
You don't know that anymore than we do, you can't assume you would have won if that punt isn't even blocked. Comon now! LOL

Our D played excellent against you guys and considering they got 0 help from the offense, was on the field all day, the pass rush was didn't quite get there most of the time and they still managed to shut you all down makes it a pretty effective day overall.

Stairwayto7
11-05-2008, 07:48 PM

We could say the same, we handed you gusy the win! Hopefully we`ll get a chance to play you later this season, if you make it!

steelerschick1220
11-05-2008, 08:15 PM
Steelrs handed the Giants that win. Our D is without a doubt better then the Giants. I mean your D gave up how many points to Derek Anderson and the mighty Browns?

coggsnyrnyg
11-06-2008, 09:48 AM
How many times was Roethlisberge sacked? How many times was Eli even touched, forget about sacks? How many picks for each d? Be realistic. The Steelers moved the ball on their opening drive, and aside from 1 big play did absolutely nothing. The Steelers D tightened up in the redzone, but that was after the Giants moved down the field fairly easily.

ejsteeler
11-06-2008, 09:54 AM
How many times was Roethlisberge sacked? How many times was Eli even touched, forget about sacks? How many picks for each d? Be realistic. The Steelers moved the ball on their opening drive, and aside from 1 big play did absolutely nothing. The Steelers D tightened up in the redzone, but that was after the Giants moved down the field fairly easily.

Which proves our O lost the game, not the D. You're not going to convice anyone here, or anyone with football knowledge for that case, that our D is not number 1. :yellowthumb:

JensK
11-06-2008, 09:57 AM

fail...

It has nothing to do with the defence, that steelers don't have an o-line. It have nothing to do with the defence that Ben played hes worst game ever. I'll admit that your defence is good, no question about it, but its nowhere near Steelers, and thats a fact. But if you can prove me wrong, thats fine. We have both met good and bad teams so far. NYG have had a slightly easier schedule than Steelers so far. Now go look up the defensive stats, and return here, and try to argue again, with some actual data, not just a homer opinion. We are not trying to be homers. We are looking at the data.

Dean Denton
11-06-2008, 11:33 AM
I really doubt the Giants beat the Steelers twice in a season. I think the Giants played a great game againsts us and won it straight up. They came into our house beat the hell out of our WR to create turn overs, and beat us at the line of scrimage. With all the mistakes the Steelers made with turn overs, sacks, pot heads, and everything else, the Steelers were still in this game to the end. I really dont think that would have been the case for the Giants I have faith in this team to correct the mistakes, and beat the Giants by a couple scores.

I will say the Giants have a better Def then the Steelers....When the Steelers let the Browns put up 35 points on them....lol So I guess that would be never.....hahahahaha

steelerschick1220
11-06-2008, 11:41 AM
I would like to see the Browns even attempt to get 35 points on our D. I guess they might. Though, it would probably take them three or four games to get there!!!!

Troyisabeast_43
11-06-2008, 04:21 PM
Let's not forget that the Steelers were one phantom holding call away by Willie Colon on a TD pass to Nate Washington from going up 21-9 and sticking a fork in the Giants for the rest of the day. They also didnot have Holmes or Parker playing on offense that game and Bryant McFadden arguably the Steelers best cornerback playing either. The big plays the Giants did get late in the game such as the 4th and 6 pass to Toomer were because William Gay was in for Ike cause he got hurt the series before, and Tyrone Carter because he came in for Ryan Clark when he hurt his shoulder. The Giants won the game and did what they had to do on that day to win but I will not sit here and say that the Giants are completely superior of a football team then the Steelers. That loss is over and done with and I am actually glad we lost that game now because I would rather lose that game that doesnt really matter now then lose to the Giants in February in the Super Bowl. Keep in mind how hard it will be for the Giants to beat the Steelers twice. The Giants will regret winning that game in Pittsburgh here two weeks ago I really believe should they meet the Steelers in Tampa.

coggsnyrnyg
11-06-2008, 04:27 PM
So, the steelers have a better chance of winning on a neutral field than at home?

--- Added 11/6/2008 at 03:27 PM ---

fail...

It has nothing to do with the defence, that steelers don't have an o-line. It have nothing to do with the defence that Ben played hes worst game ever. I'll admit that your defence is good, no question about it, but its nowhere near Steelers, and thats a fact. But if you can prove me wrong, thats fine. We have both met good and bad teams so far. NYG have had a slightly easier schedule than Steelers so far. Now go look up the defensive stats, and return here, and try to argue again, with some actual data, not just a homer opinion. We are not trying to be homers. We are looking at the data.
so what you are saying is when you compare the Giants D vs Steelers O as opposed to Steelers D vs Giants O, the Giants come out on top? Usually how you win a football game.

As far as stats, the Steelers are yielding 15 yards less per game, big deal, have 2 or 3 more sacks, and the Giants have more INT's. Bottom line, Giants walked into your house and their D outplayed your D.

Troyisabeast_43
11-06-2008, 04:32 PM
So, the steelers have a better chance of winning on a neutral field than at home?

Sure Ill say that and it wont really be a neutral field because there will be more Steelers fans in Tampa for the Super Bowl then Giants fans you can take that to the bank...They definitely will be louder and outnumber the Giants fans...

--- Added 11/6/2008 at 03:32 PM ---

--- Added 11/6/2008 at 03:27 PM ---

so what you are saying is when you compare the Giants D vs Steelers O as opposed to Steelers D vs Giants O, the Giants come out on top? Usually how you win a football game.

As far as stats, the Steelers are yielding 15 yards less per game, big deal, have 2 or 3 more sacks, and the Giants have more INT's. Bottom line, Giants walked into your house and their D outplayed your D.

They outplayed the Steelers D without Willie Parker and Santanio Holmes in there two of our biggest weapons on offense. If the Steelers meet the Giants in the Super Bowl they wont have that luxury again. If Amani Toomer doesnt make that great catch on 4th and 6 with 9 mins left in the 4th quarter on William Gay the ball goes over on downs and it's still a 14-9 game and the Giants dont win. Hell the Giants still couldnt punch in a TD after that catch and had to settle for 3 to make it 14-12. The Giants just made a couple more plays then the Steelers that day that's all it was to their credit.

steelerschick1220
11-06-2008, 09:00 PM
Oh good Lord. The Giants D did not outplay ours. If that Holding call against Colon isn't called, we win that game. No doubt!

Stairwayto7
11-07-2008, 09:38 PM
Defense wins championships

steelerschick1220
11-07-2008, 10:59 PM
That's what I'm hopin for this year..........

BlitzburghRockCity
11-21-2008, 12:01 AM
Once again the Defense just shows up big play after play after play. Except for the scoring Drive in the first quarter by the Bengals they just really didn't allow them any wiggle room at all and continue lead the NFL all 6 major defensive categories. Once Lebeau had a few series to see what they were doing he saw they were really getting a push on the outside and started sending that back side pressure that Fitzpatrick and his line had no answer for.

We didn't get all the sacks tonight but the hurries, batted passes, the INT by Troy, and shutting down the run was the key tonight and it worked out pretty darn good for us.

SteelersWoman
11-21-2008, 08:04 AM
Steelers defense setting the pace in NFL

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08324/928948-66.stm

Wednesday, November 19, 2008
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

What goes into making a great football defense?

The numbers 1-1-1 for starters. Those are the across-the-board rankings of the Steelers' defense today. The team ranks No. 1 in the NFL against the run, No. 1 against the pass and No. 1 in fewest total yards.

No team has finished that way since the great 1991 Philadelphia Eagles defense of Reggie White, Jerome Brown, Clyde Simmons, Seth Joyner et. al.

Some argue for that as the greatest defense ever and compare it to those of the 1976 Steelers, the 1985 Chicago Bears and the 2000 Baltimore Ravens.
Only 10 games into this season, the Steelers don't want to be compared to any of the great defenses -- yet.

"It just means we're a good defense right now," end Brett Keisel said of the rankings. "We still have a lot of football left. If we finish the season 1-1-1, then maybe we can talk. Right now, we're happy where we are."

The Steelers trounced the Bengals, 38-10, Oct. 19 in Cincinnati for their widest margin of victory this season. They sacked Bengals quarterbacks seven times.

That's another stat where the Steelers rank No. 1, tied with the Eagles with 36 sacks. One more No. 1 ranking? The Steelers are the stingiest defense inside the 20, allowing only 10 touchdowns on 29 visits or a league-leading 34.5 percent.

"Since I've been here, getting turnovers is up there in importance, but the number one thing is not letting them score touchdowns," said 11-year cornerback Deshea Townsend.

The Steelers rank No. 2 with 150 points allowed, but they are No. 1 in the NFL with just 14 touchdowns against them.

So yeah--at least for right now, we're #1!!