PDA

View Full Version : NFLPA: Discipline of Holmes improper

ejsteeler
10-30-2008, 11:25 AM
NFLPA: Discipline of Holmes improper (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08304/923971-66.stm)

NFLPA: Discipline of Holmes improper
Players union may file grievance against Steelers for 'improper suspension and fine'
Thursday, October 30, 2008
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

As Santonio Holmes talked yesterday about how he might have made a difference in the Steelers' 21-14 loss to the New York Giants, his union talked about what it called the "improper" discipline imposed on the wide receiver by Steelers coach Mike Tomlin.

An NFL Players Association official said the union may file a grievance over the fine Tomlin issued to Holmes along with making him inactive for Sunday's game.

"After speaking with our attorney, we have had discussions with his agent Joel Segal regarding the possibility of filing a grievance against the Steelers improper suspension and fine by the club," the NFLPA's Carl Francis wrote in an e-mail to the Post-Gazette yesterday.

Holmes, in his first public interview since he was charged with possessing a small amount of marijuana last Thursday, would not say if he were upset with being deactivated for the game by Tomlin.

"I can't comment on that question. That's almost a personal question on both sides, so I think I'll leave that question unanswered."

Tomlin would not confirm that he fined Holmes -- the receiver lost no money for being deactivated Sunday. The coach was not bashful, though, about how he felt regarding the union's unhappiness with the disciplinary actions he took.

"I'm not concerned about their view about whether we chose to activate him," Tomlin said. "We've got 53 men on the team. We choose to activate 45 for a particular game. That's what we chose to do and we move forward."

Holmes, the starting split end in his third NFL season, is the second-leading receiver on the team with 22 receptions for 360 yards. Hines Ward is first with 31 catches for 406 yards. With Holmes banished Sunday, Nate Washington moved up to start and rookie Limas Sweed, playing in just his second game, moved up to No. 3.

Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger had his worst day of the season. He completed 13 of 29 passes for 189 yards with one touchdown pass, four interceptions, five sacks and a 38.5 passer rating.

Ward caught three passes for 30 yards, Sweed three for 28 and Washington one for a 65-yard touchdown.

Holmes believes his presence in that game would have made a difference.

"I know I would ... yes, but I wasn't there to help the team," he said.

"Having a young guy in with Sweed filling in and not being on the same page with Ben, not having as many reps throughout practice and not having the experience being in that tough situation, I feel I could have made big progress with the team," Holmes said.

He said watching the Steelers lose to the Giants was "real tough."

"It really hurts, this is my first time ever having to sit down and watch my team play," Holmes said, not counting when he was injured. "It's all personal feelings that can't even be described."

Holmes said he does not care whether some people doubt him now.

"Who cares? I really don't. I'm here to play for the Pittsburgh Steelers and I'm pretty sure all my guys in this locker room believe I'm capable of getting out on the field Monday night and producing for these guys."

Teammates backed him on that.

"Him and I have really come a long way, both on and off the field," Roethlisberger said. "He's a weapon for us and it will be fun to have him back out there."

"I think he definitely regrets what happened," tight end Heath Miller said, "and we don't expect that to happen again so in our mind it's over and done with."

Holmes seemed contrite when he spoke to his teammates Monday, some said. He said he asked Tomlin if he could talk to them and that team union player representative Charlie Batch also suggested it to Holmes.

"He made a mistake," fullback Carey Davis said. "We all understand it's an unfortunate situation what he went through. I know he's hurt more than a lot of people think. He really didn't want to let the team down like that, he didn't want to let himself down.

"Especially since we lost, not being able to help us and be a part of it really hurt him. I expect some big things from him this week."

F*** the NFLPA!!!!! This is the kind of bs attitude that keeps idiots like Pacman Jones in the league.............:evilshake:

AZ_Steeler
10-30-2008, 11:48 AM
If the NFLPA does file a grievance all that does is tell others "It's okay if you **** up and do something stupid! We got your back and we'll make sure you get paid!" That's complete bullshit!!! Tomlin disciplined a member of HIS team for actions off the field that involved the police. I'm sorry but if you **** up that bad then you should be held accountable for your actions, accept the discipline handed down by YOUR COACH, then move on and hopefully learn something along the way!

Steelerlyn
10-30-2008, 12:03 PM
NFLPA: Discipline of Holmes improper (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08304/923971-66.stm)

F*** the NFLPA!!!!! This is the kind of bs attitude that keeps idiots like Pacman Jones in the league.............:evilshake:

what he said :evilshake:

Captcoolhand
10-30-2008, 12:04 PM
I don't know of to many work places that you can get caught using drugs and keep your job period. :2cents:

BlitzburghRockCity
10-30-2008, 12:18 PM
Im just surprised Goodell hasn't stepped in to throw his weight around on this issue. I guess Tomlin convinced him to let the Steelers handle it in house. For that much we can be grateful because he could have been suspended for a lot longer.

Dean Denton
10-30-2008, 12:30 PM
I'm so pissed at this kid. I think he did cost us that game just because of the way he helps spread the field. He messed up, and has no one to blame but himself. Nothing should be filed other than a dumb *** resume listing all the things he should do to atone for his F%@&ing mistake. Players that do this to teams are what makes the difference between winners and losers. Hey, how many rings does T.O or Moss have? Does Ocho Stinko have a ring? Wait, I'm sure Steve Smith does...ooops, not him either...wonder why???

--- Added 10/30/2008 at 11:30 AM ---

Im just surprised Goodell hasn't stepped in to throw his weight around on this issue. I guess Tomlin convinced him to let the Steelers handle it in house. For that much we can be grateful because he could have been suspended for a lot longer.
I think the NFL is going to wait to hand down a punishment on him. I dont see him getting out with just a 1 game suspension. They could wait until after his court date to see what he is going to be charged with.

steelerschick1220
10-30-2008, 12:55 PM
The players union needs to mind their own darn business. I guess they think that if you get busted with an illegal drug you should still get to keep your job and paycheck? What a bunch of morons. I was very upset with Santonio and this here is bringing it all right back up to the surface.

AZ_Steeler
10-30-2008, 01:09 PM
I don't know of to many work places that you can get caught using drugs and keep your job period. :2cents:

Exactly!!! :clap:

BlitzburghRockCity
10-30-2008, 03:19 PM
The Steelers are bigger than just Santonio Holmes; no one player can make or break this team on any given week. Well except for maybe Ben. If he's not in there we might as well forget about it. Lefty is a good backup and from what we've heard he's coming along really well but we go as far as Ben will take us.

As far as Holmes goes, him not being there was a big blow there's not doubt and Ben would have had more options in the passing game which definitely would have helped but this team had their chances right up until the end when they blew it with the bad snap, penalties,and INT's. We need to be able to overcome the issues that will be thrust upon us; so far this year we've done a pretty good job but last week we definitely took a step sideways if not backwards.

Dean Denton
10-30-2008, 04:27 PM
The Steelers are bigger than just Santonio Holmes; no one player can make or break this team on any given week. Well except for maybe Ben. If he's not in there we might as well forget about it. Lefty is a good backup and from what we've heard he's coming along really well but we go as far as Ben will take us.

As far as Holmes goes, him not being there was a big blow there's not doubt and Ben would have had more options in the passing game which definitely would have helped but this team had their chances right up until the end when they blew it with the bad snap, penalties,and INT's. We need to be able to overcome the issues that will be thrust upon us; so far this year we've done a pretty good job but last week we definitely took a step sideways if not backwards. I agree with you for the most part, but if Holmes is in there I dont think it would have come down to the wire. Because Ben would have had more options he would have had less mistakes. We would have put it away. IMO. I think we crush their asses in the rematch come Feb....As long as we are healthy, and not smoked out..

Dee Mca
10-30-2008, 05:58 PM
goddell probably waiting for conviction

K Train
10-30-2008, 06:28 PM
i love how all of you get butt hurt over this and how your so mad at him...the team took action that is not encouraged by the league. what happened to innocent until proven guilty? deactivating him was a decision that ultimately cost us the game imo, he isnt pacman jones and he isnt ricky williams and he hasnt been convicted of anything and as far as we know he wasnt smoking anything

Koopa
10-30-2008, 06:37 PM
i love how all of you get butt hurt over this and how your so mad at him...the team took action that is not encouraged by the league. what happened to innocent until proven guilty? deactivating him was a decision that ultimately cost us the game imo, he isnt pacman jones and he isnt ricky williams and he hasnt been convicted of anything and as far as we know he wasnt smoking anything

NO, NO, NO....HOLMES IS THE DEVIL FOR WHAT HE HAS DONE TO THIS TEAM!!!.......i bet if holmes was as white as the dude in your sig there would be no adam jones or ricky williams comparisons

Dean Denton
10-30-2008, 06:58 PM
He's guilty... The cop saw the weed in the car. He admitted to it. He's busted, and I want a do over in that Giants Game. I really feel that we are the better team.

TEEMONT
10-30-2008, 07:01 PM

if the dude aint guilty, then he shouldnt have apologized....

lloydfan4life
10-30-2008, 08:38 PM

If the NFLPA does file a grievance all that does is tell others "It's okay if you **** up and do something stupid! We got your back and we'll make sure you get paid!" That's complete bullshiat!!! Tomlin disciplined a member of HIS team for actions off the field that involved the police. I'm sorry but if you **** up that bad then you should be held accountable for your actions, accept the discipline handed down by YOUR COACH, then move on and hopefully learn something along the way!

:plus1:
I agree 100%!
WTF! How 'bout filing a grievance against Holmes for being so ****in' stupid and having illegal drugs in his possession. And don't give me this shiat about 'well maybe they weren't really his'. How stupid does THAT sound?? You're paid MILLIONS of dollars to be a professional. Whether or not you like it YOU ARE A ROLE MODEL. Grow up and start acting like one! Mike Tomiln did the right thing..... and hopefully Santonio will choose to do the right thing in the future. Butt out NFLPA!!! :yesnod:

NCSteeler
10-30-2008, 11:02 PM

He was red handed with the dope and admitted to the cop at the scene that he was smoking the day before. I don't know where you come from, but most of live in a place where that makes you guilty.

No he's not Pacman or Ricky, but he still had to pay a price and one game and a little money seems just. I don't think you will find too many people trying to persecute him adn cut him for a few blunts.

MOTORKRAFT
10-30-2008, 11:29 PM
Take the high road Tomlin lovers. Every time you do I will bring up Harrison. Tomlin and the Rooneys made a mistake with this. N.F.L. players contracts are not guaranteed. The NFLPA is there for a reason. Tomlin and the Rooneys tried to take the high road on this and I hope it blows up in their face.