PDA

View Full Version : Steelers' Woodson among '09 nominees for Pro Hall of Fame

AZ_Steeler
10-29-2008, 12:24 PM
Link to story.. (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08303/923581-66.stm?cmpid=steelers.xml)

Former Steelers great Rod Woodson and Buffalo defensive end Bruce Smith, both eligible for the first time, highlight the 133 nominees for the Pro Football Hall of Fame Class of 2009, released yesterday.

Woodson would be the first post-Steel Curtain-era Steelers player inducted into the Hall of Fame and the first since John Stallworth was inducted in 2002. He was voted to the NFL's prestigious all-75th anniversary team and played 17 seasons as a cornerback and safety in the NFL.

He played his first 10 seasons as a cornerback with the Steelers, then left as a free agent and played with San Francisco, Baltimore and Oakland, winning a Super Bowl ring with the Ravens.

Woodson made the Pro Bowl 11 times and his 71 career interceptions rank third all time in the NFL.

Hall of Fame selectors will whittle the list to 25 modern-era semifinalists next month, then to 15 finalists. A final vote will take place Jan. 31, when between four and seven members are selected from the 15 finalists and two senior nominees, Bob Hayes and Claude Humphrye. Former Steelers center Dermontti Dawson, linebackers Kevin Greene and Hardy Nickerson, personnel director Art Rooney Jr. and coach Buddy Parker are repeat nominees, as are former Pitt linemen Russ Grimm and Mark May and linebacker Rickey Jackson.

The complete list of nominees
First-Year Eligible Nominees

Running Backs -- Larry Centers, Brian Mitchell (also KR/PR)

Tight Ends -- Shannon Sharpe, Frank Wycheck

Offensive Tackle -- Lincoln Kennedy

Defensive Linemen -- John Randle (DE/DT), Bruce Smith (DE), Dana Stubblefield (DT)

Linebacker -- Jessie Armstead

Defensive Backs -- Darren Woodson (S), Rod Woodson (CB/S)
Additional Nominees

Quarterbacks -- Ken Anderson, Boomer Esiason, Jim Plunkett, Phil Simms, Ken Stabler, Joe Theismann, Doug Williams

Running Backs -- Ottis Anderson, Roger Craig, Terrell Davis, Greg Pruitt (also KR/PR), Herschel Walker, Ricky Watters

Wide Receivers -- Cliff Branch, Harold Carmichael, Cris Carter, Wes Chandler, Gary Clark, Isaac Curtis, Henry Ellard, Irving Fryar, Roy Green, Harold Jackson, Herman Moore, Stanley Morgan, Andre Reed, Sterling Sharpe

Tight Ends -- Mark Bavaro, Todd Christensen, Ben Coates, Russ Francis, Brent Jones, Steve Jordan

Offensive Linemen -- Tony Boselli (T), Lomas Brown (T), Jim Covert (T), Randy Cross (G/C), Dave Dalby (C), Dermontti Dawson (C), Ray Donaldson (C), Russ Grimm (G), Jay Hilgenberg (C), Kent Hill (G/T), Chris Hinton (G/T), Kent Hull (C), Joe Jacoby (T), Mike Kenn (T), Bob Kuechenberg (G), Jim Lachey (T), Henry Lawrence (G/T), Mark May (G/T/C), Randall McDaniel (G), Max Montoya (G), Marvin Powell (T), Steve Wisniewski (G)

Defensive Linemen -- Ray Childress (DT/DE), Richard Dent (DE), Chris Doleman (DE/LB), Carl "Big Daddy" Hairston (DE/DT), Charles Haley (DE/LB), Ed "Too Tall" Jones (DE), Cortez Kennedy (DT), Joe Klecko (DE/DT/NT), Steve McMichael (DT/NT), Leslie O'Neal (DE), Fred Smerlas (NT), Art Still (DE)

Linebackers -- Cornelius Bennett, Robert Brazile, Kevin Greene (LB/DE), Ken Harvey, Rickey Jackson, Tom Jackson, Clay Matthews, Karl Mecklenburg, Sam Mills, Hardy Nickerson, Chris Spielman, Pat Swilling, Darryl Talley, Derrick Thomas

Defensive Backs -- Eric Allen (CB), Steve Atwater (S), Joey Browner (S), LeRoy Butler (S), Deron Cherry (S), Raymond Clayborn (CB), Kenny Easley (S), Lester Hayes (CB), Albert Lewis (CB), Ken Riley (CB), Eugene Robinson (S), Donnie Shell (S), Louis Wright (CB)

Punters/Kickers -- Rich Camarillo (P), Ray Guy (P), Nick Lowery (K), Reggie Roby (P)

Special Teams -- Steve Tasker

Coaches -- Don Coryell, Tom Flores, Jimmy Johnson, Chuck Knox, Buddy Parker, Dan Reeves, Clark Shaughnessy

Contributors -- Bud Adams, Gil Brandt, C.O. Brocato, Leo Carlin, Ed DeBartolo, Jr., Ben Dreith, Bob Harlan, Jerry Jones, Art Modell, Art Rooney Jr., Ed Sabol, Steve Sabol, Paul Tagliabue, Ralph Wilson, Jr., Ron Wolf, George Young

Finalist in 2008
Does he go in as a Steeler? After all, he did win a Super Bowl with the Ravens :dunno:

Dean Denton
10-29-2008, 12:36 PM
Well good for Rod. I think he should get picked just because he was sooo smart and knew the Giants would beat the Steelers.....

TEEMONT
10-29-2008, 01:55 PM
Well good for Rod. I think he should get picked just because he was sooo smart and knew the Giants would beat the Steelers.....

maybe he should go in as a Giant, since he is so loyal to them.

AZ_Steeler
10-29-2008, 02:35 PM
Wow... that is still bothering everybody??? He's an analysts trying to not be so predictable... big deal he picked the Giants!

BlitzburghRockCity
10-29-2008, 03:41 PM
I hope Woodson makes it in, and he better go in as a Steeler. If he doesn't then I officially disown him from the black n gold.

I know technically you don't really go in affiliated with a certain team but still, he needs to give the Steelers the nod even unofficially. His best years were with us, no question.

TEEMONT
10-29-2008, 04:09 PM
Wow... that is still bothering everybody??? He's an analysts trying to not be so predictable... big deal he picked the Giants!

I was being VERY sarcastic.

Besides, in the NFL HOF you don't go in as an anything. It's been a while since I visited, but I think they list each team you played for.

HUNT4SEVEN
10-29-2008, 04:10 PM
He better go in as an STEELER:rant2::rant2:

BR7
10-29-2008, 05:30 PM
No L.C. again eh? :evilshake:

BR7
10-29-2008, 09:02 PM
Announcers/analysts are supposed to have an unbiased opinion. I don't expect Rod to homer the Steelers every chance he gets. Like I do in yahoo's pick 'em. I know they aren't going 16-0, but I pick them every week to win. At the least, I put 1 point on them.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-29-2008, 10:50 PM
**I cleaned up this thread since it's featured as the Top Story on the Homepage (http://www.steeleraddicts.com) :)

Man I hope Bengal Boomer never gets in I can't stand that guy! He's so bad in the booth yet they continually bring him back on CBS year in and year out :wtf: He wasn't even that great a QB to even be considered.

As far as Rod goes I hope he definitely gets in; I can still see him in Super Bowl XXX defending against Irvin and pointing to his knee. Man that was some kind of recovery!