PDA

View Full Version : How to beat the Skins...

SteelfordWexler
10-29-2008, 11:52 AM
The Redskins will be a very tough out this weekend. They are obviously playing well and have recorded some quality wins against Dallas and Philly on the road among others. Here are my keys to the game for the Steelers:

Defensively:

The conventional wisdom is that we must contain Portis, but after taking a deeper look at the numbers, Campbell is also key to this offense. Portis is having a fantastic year. He is averaging nearly 140 yds/game over the past 5 weeks and the Skins have won 4 of those games. He averages 122yds in wins, but he picked up and average of 107 in their losses. He must not take over the game - containing Portis is going to be a priority but it won't ensure victory.

Campbell has been playing lights out. I don't believe he is being carried by the running game. He is averaging 29 attempts and 219 yds/game - and no interceptions. It is unlikely that he will make many mistakes with the ball, and they protect him relatively well having given up 16 sacks in 8 games. If he is successful providing balance to their premier running game - they are very very good. In their two losses his comp % was 59% (pretty good) - in their 6 wins it was 67%(very good). Obviously, this game will be a tough test for our defense.

Stoping the run is priority one - but we need to do it without over commiting our LBs and secondary. We can't get beat on play action - or this will be a long day.

Creating pressure is always key to a Lebeau defense. We are usually stoudt against the run and protect against the big play, but give up short passes. This bit us Sunday as the Giants were able to move the ball with the pass into the red-zone on a consistent basis.

We will need to press the receivers and/or disguise our coverages so Campbell holds the ball an extra beat and give the rush a chance to rattle him. He can run, so discipline will be important when rushing. The RS receivers are quick and veteran - so press coverage is pretty high risk.

Offensive Keys:
The Redskins have been good against the run this year - allowing an average of 83 yds/game. In their two losses, they gave up 168 yds/game. Effectively running the ball - controlling the Time of Possession and keeping the defense rested will be a huge key to this game offensively. Being able to present a threat from the run is our goal. Even if we only get 3.5 per carry - this is important to keep their defense honest.

The pass defense is statistically the weakness of the Redskins. Their opponents have averaged nearly 6 yards per pass attempt and about 200 yds in the air a game. They have only registered 10 sacks all year and have 5 interceptions. Our effectiveness in the short -intermediate passing game will be another key. We will be forced to move the chains in the air - so they don't load up the box against the run.

Expect the Redskins to apply pressure the way the Giants and Eagles did. They will attempt to match up with their solid cornerbacks against our WRs and give Ben 3 or 4 seconds or less to get rid of the ball. Our best match ups will be with Heath Miller and Mewelde Moore against their linebackers in space. Recognition of the blitz and coordination of the hot reads with these receivers will be decisive from the offensive perspective for this game and likely the rest of them until we prove we can consistently beat this defensive approach.

It will take our best game to get this road win. It would be Tomlin's most impressive victory if they pull it off.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-29-2008, 12:55 PM
You stop Clinton Portis and you can beat the Reskins, simple as that. Campbell is playing better but if he doesn't have a running game and our linebackers can come after him with all types of blitz's and pressure we can get to him. If he gets going though it could be ugly. We're getting healthier on the DL now so that will definitely help.

As far as offense goes, the Skins will try to use the same gameplan as the Eagles and Giants so expect them to try and pressure us in every way possible. Ben needs to keep the tempo of the offense up beat and moving, short quick passes, slant routes, roll outs, etc. Plus with Holmes back that's a huge lift.

Dean Denton
10-29-2008, 01:08 PM
Easy...Start getting some players on the field. We could be too beat up to continue. Stop smokin weed on the way to practice. Go find us a center that can lead this unit. get a long snapper and a punter. Play smarter.....not harder.

LatrobePA
10-29-2008, 01:13 PM
Campbell is due for a HUGE mistake ridden game...Our pass rush gets into his head and he records his first 3 INT's of the year!! Our O has been **** lately so our D will need to score once or twice this game!!

AZ_Steeler
10-29-2008, 01:17 PM
IMO... the Steelers need to first not beat themselves... no turnovers, stupid penalties and protecting Ben. Can't start worrying about the other team when there are things to worry about with your own!

steelerschick1220
10-29-2008, 01:47 PM
^ I totally agree with that!!!!!!

BlitzburghRockCity
10-29-2008, 01:52 PM
Easy...Start getting some players on the field. We could be too beat up to continue. Stop smokin weed on the way to practice. Go find us a center that can lead this unit. get a long snapper and a punter. Play smarter.....not harder.

Hartwig isn't the problem, the interior line isn't playing that poorly it's the Tackles that are the issue. All the pressure the Giants sent came from the outside mainly. Kemoeatu, Hartwig, and Stapleton actually played pretty decent save for a couple false starts. If we don't start getting better play out of the 2 Tackles it's going to be more of the same this week.

I haven't heard anything on Berger yet so perhaps he's going to be ok, you would think the team would have held tryouts by now if he is going to be out for any length of time.

Dean Denton
10-29-2008, 02:05 PM
Hartwig isn't the problem, the interior line isn't playing that poorly it's the Tackles that are the issue. All the pressure the Giants sent came from the outside mainly. Kemoeatu, Hartwig, and Stapleton actually played pretty decent save for a couple false starts. If we don't start getting better play out of the 2 Tackles it's going to be more of the same this week.

I haven't heard anything on Berger yet so perhaps he's going to be ok, you would think the team would have held tryouts by now if he is going to be out for any length of time.The center is still the guy that calls the blitz pick ups and protection packages. Our issues have been going on now for three season. Its not like the sacks just started when Tomlin took over. It started with losing Hartings. Bill was still calling the shots.

ejsteeler
10-29-2008, 02:08 PM
You're right, but Bill was not Bill that last year, I don't care what anyone says.

Dean Denton
10-29-2008, 02:21 PM
You're right, but Bill was not Bill that last year, I don't care what anyone says.
True, but we still had Russ Grimm, and the Whiz, and these two guys wanted a job here. And with that, we still gave up almost 50 sacks that year. This entire line sucks, and it effects the off, I get that. but it starts with the center, and ours is not good. Kerry Collins has only been sacked once this years. Whos his Center? Think about that.

ejsteeler
10-29-2008, 02:27 PM
I could think all day and still not know...I'll have to look it up. :lol:

TEEMONT
10-29-2008, 02:58 PM

wow, if thats not a formula for success I dont know what is.

Dean Denton
10-29-2008, 03:45 PM
wow, if thats not a formula for success I dont know what is.
Oh please that just the start. I think maybe they should hire you on as the Nazi police to keep everyone in line. You could also help the mentally challenged coaching staff to see all the things we do wrong, and force those mooks into the elite status of the NFL. Dont let this pass you by, they will always take the Rooney Rule into account, and that not only means minority's , but mean spirited Bullys like yourself have to be interviewed too. Finally we will have brains in this outfit, and you alone will make the difference.:yellowthumb:

TEEMONT
10-29-2008, 05:07 PM
Oh please that just the start. I think maybe they should hire you on as the Nazi police to keep everyone in line. You could also help the mentally challenged coaching staff to see all the things we do wrong, and force those mooks into the elite status of the NFL. Dont let this pass you by, they will always take the Rooney Rule into account, and that not only means minority's , but mean spirited Bullys like yourself have to be interviewed too. Finally we will have brains in this outfit, and you alone will make the difference.:yellowthumb:

lol...do you feel bullied by me?

HUNT4SEVEN
10-29-2008, 05:12 PM
IMO... the Steelers need to first not beat themselves... no turnovers, stupid penalties and protecting Ben. Can't start worrying about the other team when there are things to worry about with your own!

Exactly Thank You:tt02::cope::tt02:

Dean Denton
10-29-2008, 05:30 PM
lol...do you feel bullied by me? YES...And for the first time in my life I know what the Browns feel like after they play the Steelers...lol

BlitzburghRockCity
10-30-2008, 12:02 AM
The center is still the guy that calls the blitz pick ups and protection packages. Our issues have been going on now for three season. Its not like the sacks just started when Tomlin took over. It started with losing Hartings. Bill was still calling the shots.

Right, the Center does set up the line for blitz pickups and such. Earlier this year and last year the sacks came from all directions but a lot of it came from right up the middle. Ben had nowhere to go, Willie had nowhere to run, it was a nightmare. When you get pressure up the middle it blows up any play you can come up with. Now though in the last few weeks with Stapleton in there and Hartwig starting to get more comfortable the pressure is not coming from up the middle near as much as anymore. The interior 3 are holding their own, its Colon and Starks that are the problem here. Trust me I know the OL isn't completely fixed but the interior 3 guys we have now if they stay healthy and continue to improve could turn out to be pretty good.

LatrobePA
10-30-2008, 12:08 AM
We were dbl'n up on Tuck and left the other knuckle head un-blocked!! 3 sacks right there...

Dean Denton
10-30-2008, 12:23 PM
Its frustrating to watch this team lose games because of this O-line. I missed half the game on Sunday because I drank a pint of booze, and became far to drunk to follow. I watched it last night, and again its the same thing. No pass protection, and Ben is forced into mistakes. Then, he gets the ball off for a deep pass, and the TD is called back for holding. For as long as I have watched football, the OL has never been an issue in Pittsburgh, now it has become our achilles heel. Dont get me wrong, I love Ben, but maybe we should have spent our money on a 40 year vet or just a Kitna type QB because we are far from beating someone like the Titans with the way we protect our QB. That 100 million should have been spent better. I saw all those sacks from 2006 to today, and we were like 50 sacks ahead of the next guy. this is sad.

ejsteeler
10-30-2008, 12:28 PM
:ditto: Make no mistake, the o-lines play is shortening what could be a very promising career for Big Ben. Now, I don't lay 100% blame on the line, but enough of it to be detrimental to him. :yesnod: