PDA

View Full Version : Steelers stand tough in defeat

DIESELMAN
10-28-2008, 02:03 AM
PITTSBURGH -- Brett Keisel couldn’t remember being in a four-point stance so often. But it was so successful that Chris Hoke thought it would propel the Steelers to a win over the defending champs.

http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/60/609088.jpg

“It was unbelievable,” said Hoke. “When we had that goal-line stand, I thought we were destined to win this game. I told Travis Kirschke, ‘When we win this game, the big story will be that goal-line stand.’

“It wasn’t meant to be but it was a lot of fun out there. There was a lot of emotion on that field. You live for those moments.”

The New York Giants breached the Steelers’ 10-yard line three times in the first half and came away with only two field goals.

In the second half, the Giants again had a first down inside the 10, and again the Steelers held them to a field goal. The fifth time, though, the Giants scored a touchdown to beat the Steelers and their collapsible offense, 21-14.

While the Steelers couldn’t block Mathias Kiwanuka, or -- except for two plays – even move the ball, the defense was – to take a word from Coach Mike Tomlin – “awesome.”
It started when Aaron Smith walked into the locker room after missing all week for personal matters.

“A huge emotional lift,” said Hoke. “When he came in, I got a little extra fire in my rear because the guy’s an unbelievable player.”

Hoke believes that emotion carried into the Steelers’ first of two true goal-line stands. The Giants had a first down at the Steelers’ 2-yard line early in the second quarter. On the first play, with 264-pound Brandon Jacobs in the backfield, Giants offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride called a pass and James Harrison pressured Eli Manning into an incompletion. Gilbride called another pass on second down, which was incomplete, but LaMarr Woodley jumped offsides.

With the ball moved to the 1-yard line, Jacobs ran behind his right guard and was tackled by Ryan Clark. On third down, Jacobs thought he scored, but instant replay reversed the call and the Giants tried again on fourth down. Clark and Larry Foote were credited with the stop as the Steelers held their 7-3 lead.
“We knew they were going to pound it,” said Keisel. “They have a good offensive line and a good back and we knew they were going to pound it.”

The Steelers “stood up” again, as Hampton put it, early in the fourth quarter. A fourth-and-6 deep ball to Amani Toomer for 30 yards put the Giants at the Steelers’ 4-yard line. Running back Derrick Ward hurdled William Gay but was plastered by Keisel for a loss. The Giants were done trying to blow down that brick wall, so they threw two incomplete passes and kicked a field goal. The next time the Giants reached the 2-yard line, they threw a touchdown pass to tight end Kevin Boss for the game-winner.

Overall, the Steelers held the NFL’s top-ranked running game to 83 yards rushing on 35 tries for an average of 2.4 yards per carry. The Giants came into the game averaging 5.6 per carry.

“It was all these guys playing physical,” Hoke said. “We heard all week about how good their offensive line was, and we took that personal. We had to shut down their run, and for the most part we held the run in check.”

By Jim Wexell
SteelCityInsider.com
Posted Oct 27, 2008
Yeah we lost the game but the D played their hearts out.....:tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02:

OC Steel Curtain
10-28-2008, 02:29 AM
The 1 thing that i liked about this game... we played sooooooooooo ****** and barely lost.. and thats vs the eagles and NY

Koopa
10-28-2008, 02:57 AM
The 1 thing that i liked about this game... we played sooooooooooo shiatty and barely lost.. and thats vs the eagles and NY

that's what scares me, our two loses are against quality teams and we come up short in these two hyped up games, it seems like we can't handle the pressure of big games offensively, cause our defense has come through both times for the most part......ben is kind of becoming a choke artist...... this goes back to the super bowl, he choked in that game, he made a few clutch plays but we won in spite of him, last year against the jags he played like **** for the most part....... this is the biggest game of the year thus far for the steelers and ben shows up by throwing 4 ints...........

OC Steel Curtain
10-28-2008, 03:00 AM
i agree with you.. but at the same time there are games where he brings us back in the 4th.. but sometimes it is too late like last year vs the jags in the playoffs.. the way it looks to me is he trys and makes every play a home run... when in reality we will take those 5 yard dumps alllll day

Koopa
10-28-2008, 03:31 AM
that's another thing that pisses me off about ben, he seems to refuses to hit heath or the running back for quick 5 to 10 yards, it seems like he wants to make the highlight pass or nothing at all.........our oline sucks, but he makes them look horrible cause the takes unnecessary sacks every game........... i think it's cause ben is stupid

DanRooney
10-28-2008, 07:51 AM
that's what scares me, our two loses are against quality teams and we come up short in these two hyped up games, it seems like we can't handle the pressure of big games offensively, cause our defense has come through both times for the most part......ben is kind of becoming a choke artist...... this goes back to the super bowl, he choked in that game, he made a few clutch plays but we won in spite of him, last year against the jags he played like shiat for the most part....... this is the biggest game of the year thus far for the steelers and ben shows up by throwing 4 ints...........

Obviously the problem is we can't win games that start 4:15 :yellowthumb:

SteelfordWexler
10-28-2008, 11:00 AM
Moral victories are worthless.

We need to catch some breaks on the injury front and find a way to beat a very good team on the road this week.

Iron City South
10-28-2008, 01:51 PM
Hoke is much better than Fat Casey.

DocHolliday1989
10-28-2008, 04:47 PM
:clap: Our defense played well enough to win this past game vs the super bowl champs. Everyone keeps bashing our offensive line, but Ben is just holding on to the ball way to damn long somtimes. He needs to take off and go right up the middle on alot of plays and he could pick up 5 or 10 yards alot of times.
As far as some of you saying that Chris Hoke is better than Casey Hampton.. I just dont agree with that folks, Hampton is just carrying a little too much weight in my opinion and just looks slow at times. But we still held the league's no.1 rushing team to less than 90 yards... I dont see a thing wrong with that myself. For our d-line to be so long toothed, they are holding up nicely and I am very proud of this side of the of the team.
:bunny: