PDA

View Full Version : 4 games in 17 day stretch should determine season here...

Troyisabeast_43
10-27-2008, 11:29 AM
This is what the Steelers have staring them right in the face starting next Monday night in Washington. They will play 4 games between Monday November 3rd and Thursday November 20th. Needless to say with all these injuries and what not the Steelers have going into this stretch we will definitely find out what kind of team they truly are over the course of the next 3-4 weeks. Now the good news is 3 of these 4 games are at Heinz Field which as we seen yesterday doesnt guarantee anything but still 3 of them in a row are after the Redskins game at home with the Colts,Chargers,and finishing it up against a winless Bengals team on a Thursday night. It's important for the Steelers to now maintain this lead in the division over the Browns and Ravens because these 2 teams while the Steelers still are in control of the North appear to both not be wanting to go away quietly. Now the Browns and the Ravens play one another next week in Cleveland. You definitely want to root for the Browns in that game. If the Browns do win it puts both them and the Ravens at 4-4 instead of the Ravens at 5-3. Then, if the Steelers beat Washington on Monday night they then go to 6-2 and maintain that huge 2 game lead with the tiebraker in hand on both of them going into that 3 game stretch at home starting with Indy on November 9th.

The good news is about yesterday even though the Steelers did lose and fell a little bit short it still is another NFC loss and doesnot at the moment hurt them in the standings in the AFC North or in the conference. The Steelers still have a 5-0 record in the AFC and as long as they keep winning these AFC games that they have coming up with the Colts,Chargers,and Bengals all at home they are going to stay ahead of teams such as Buffalo and New England in the East, the Broncos in the West, and keep pace with the Titans as well for that top spot in the AFC. The Steelers hung right there with the defending Super Bowl Champs yesterday despite injuries before the game, during the game, and off the field issues as well with Holmes and Aaron Smith, and were still I believe one botched long snap away from winning that game.

The Steelers will continue to get guys back here within the next few weeks such as Parker and Holmes and it looks like Clark is going to be okay as well which is huge. I dont think Ben Roethlisberger is going to play as bad as he did yesterday over the next few weeks because the defenses and just the teams in general he is facing over this 4 game stretch are not as good as the Giants were. I know there is a lot of doom and gloom on this board here after the loss yesterday but the bottom line is the Steelers are still 5-2 on top of the division and currently the number 2 seed in the AFC heading into November. They are still in control of their own destiny and have a lot of games coming up like I said at Heinz Field where the crowd was amazing yesterday being at the game. They will bounce back from this loss I believe come next Monday night in DC and set themselves up very well coming back home for 3 games in a row starting with the Colts on November 9th.

Stairwayto7
10-27-2008, 11:41 AM
Iim rooting for the ratbirds

ejsteeler
10-27-2008, 11:48 AM
Great logic, but screw that....I'm rooting for a tie between the ratbirds and the clowns!!! :yesnod:

Troyisabeast_43
10-27-2008, 11:52 AM
Great logic, but screw that....I'm rooting for a tie between the ratbirds and the clowns!!! :yesnod:

Yea well that would be great but all kidding aside that is not going to happen so you gotta be realistic about it and root for the Browns. If the Steelers keep taking care of their own business what the Ravens and Browns do will be completely irrelevant.

AZ_Steeler
10-27-2008, 11:53 AM
Regardless of the next 4 games this is the time when the Steelers started to take a dump last year and barely squeaked into the playoffs. This is the time when Tomlin proves he's not just a first half of the season coach.

The Redskins are not a team to take lightly, but I think if they can apply some pressure to a young QB as they were not able to do to Eli then the outcome might be a little different. The Steelers have only two Redskins to really worry about and that's Portis and Moss. Given the Steelers held the Giants running game in check I think it's safe to put a checkmark by Portis' name :bigthumb:

SteelfordWexler
10-27-2008, 12:06 PM
Going into this weekend, I thought that the Steelers needed to win 2 of the 4 games coming up (NYG, Skins, Colts, Chargers) and at least one of the two AFC games. I still think that if we win 2 of the next three - we are in good shape when we host Cincinatti. I think we can beat the Colts and Chargers (not good at east coast games) at home. Right now the Chargers look like the tougher out. Those two AFC wins would be huge.

We must win our division games - this was what we thought before the season and it still is true. The whole season probably will come down to the games left with Baltimore and Cleveland. That would leave us with 9 wins and we probably clinch the division. If we beat one of the Pats, Cowboys or Titans - we get 10 wins and I think we are in the playoffs for sure.

In the division - Baltimore will probably beat Cinci and Houston. I guess they win 3 or four(at best) out of Cleve, NYG, Philly, Washington, Dallas and Jacksonville. That leaves them with 8 or 9 wins.

Cleveland will probably beat Cinci and Houston, they will probably win 3 or 4 (at best)out of Balt, Denver, Buffalo, Indy, Tenn and Philly. That leaves them with 8 or 9 wins.

It is a huge help to our cause if Cleveland beats Baltimore next week.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-27-2008, 12:45 PM
I don't think any one of figured we would go thru this stretch undefeated so if the team can rebound next week we'll keep that 1 game lead and with some help from the AFCN losing we might be able to get it back to 2 games. Regardless this was a game I wanted to see us win but it was just Philadelphia all over again and you can bet your last dollar the Redskins are looking at the tape of those 2 games as we speak and they're going to try and bring the same defensive pressure. Our line just cannot handle the blitz and until it does and Ben gets rid of the ball we're going to see more of the same.

The Colts and Chargers and Redskins are all winnable games but so was the Giants game.

steelerschick1220
10-27-2008, 02:14 PM
I still am of the opinion that we will win the next four. I said in the four game stretch we would go 3-1, losing to either the Giants or Skins. Well, we lost to the Giants in a game that we could have won. So, I say we go into Washington and beat the Skins on MNF and win our next three home games. That would put us at 9-2 going into the final five games.

SteelfordWexler
10-27-2008, 03:00 PM
I still am of the opinion that we will win the next four. I said in the four game stretch we would go 3-1, losing to either the Giants or Skins. Well, we lost to the Giants in a game that we could have won. So, I say we go into Washington and beat the Skins on MNF and win our next three home games. That would put us at 9-2 going into the final five games.

I'll buy that.

If we get to 9 wins with five to go - and don't get a home game in the playoffs - Im gonna need professional help.

Troyisabeast_43
10-27-2008, 03:26 PM
Going into this weekend, I thought that the Steelers needed to win 2 of the 4 games coming up (NYG, Skins, Colts, Chargers) and at least one of the two AFC games. I still think that if we win 2 of the next three - we are in good shape when we host Cincinatti. I think we can beat the Colts and Chargers (not good at east coast games) at home. Right now the Chargers look like the tougher out. Those two AFC wins would be huge.

We must win our division games - this was what we thought before the season and it still is true. The whole season probably will come down to the games left with Baltimore and Cleveland. That would leave us with 9 wins and we probably clinch the division. If we beat one of the Pats, Cowboys or Titans - we get 10 wins and I think we are in the playoffs for sure.

In the division - Baltimore will probably beat Cinci and Houston. I guess they win 3 or four(at best) out of Cleve, NYG, Philly, Washington, Dallas and Jacksonville. That leaves them with 8 or 9 wins.

Cleveland will probably beat Cinci and Houston, they will probably win 3 or 4 (at best)out of Balt, Denver, Buffalo, Indy, Tenn and Philly. That leaves them with 8 or 9 wins.

It is a huge help to our cause if Cleveland beats Baltimore next week.

A win next week in Washington will move the Steelers to 6-2 and give us a huge lift going into those 3 games in a row here at home versus Indy,San Diego,and Cincy all who have been awful on the road so far this season and are not as good as the Giants in all areas of the field. As you said San Diego has been terrible on the East Coast. and the Colts have been terrible on the road as well and inconsistent on the road as they come. The Giants and the Redskins I really believe were the 2 toughest games on this stretch of 4. I agree with you as well that a Browns win next week puts them and the Ravens both at 4-4 and a win in Washington puts the Steelers at 6-2 and back to 2 games up in the division heading into the 3 game home stretch. I dont think Cleveland will win 4 games against Baltimore,Denver,Indy,Tenn,Buffalo,and Philly. And I dont think the Ravens will win 4 out of that other stretch of games you just mentioned.

ejsteeler
10-27-2008, 03:47 PM
I think I'll spend my time worrying about whether or not we wilol win and let the other teams do what they may. We have some leaks to plug and if we don get it done, it will not matter what anyone else does. :imho:

BlitzburghRockCity
10-27-2008, 09:11 PM
Regardless of how bad the Ravens are their schedule isn't near as tough as ours so they are bound to keep us within striking distance so we need to keep winning and hope for some help with them losing more games, which they certainly will. This team is in a good position but the road is tough and any of the upcoming games is winnable on either side. We take care of business and stop shooting ourselves in the foot we'll be ok.

steelerschick1220
10-27-2008, 10:01 PM
I'll buy that.

If we get to 9 wins with five to go - and don't get a home game in the playoffs - Im gonna need professional help.

You, me, and lots of people on this board.

Troyisabeast_43
10-28-2008, 05:59 PM
Im rooting for the Browns this week because I want both the Browns and Ravens to be 4-4 and the Steelers to win on Monday night it puts them at 6-2 and a full 2 1/2 games up on both of them. Even if the Steelers do lose on Monday night and the Browns happen to win and be 4-4 they will still be 5-3 still with no conference losses in the AFC at 5-0 and have the next 3 games at home against AFC teams such as the Colts,Chargers,and Bengals. I'm not expecting the Steelers to lose to the Redskins but if they do it wont mean the end of the world because the Steelers will still be in pretty good shape with a not so good Colts and Chargers teams coming in here the next 2 weeks before the winless Bungles on the Thursday night in November.

The bottom line is the schedule sets up very well for the Steelers in the upcoming weeks after the Redskins game Monday night win or lose. If the Steelers win the Skins game they are at the very worst going to go 2-1 in that 3 game home stretch. Both Indy and San Diego will not beat the Steelers. One of them might, but both of them wont. And the Steelers are going to beat the Bengals. So in my opinion, if we beat the Skins Monday night we go into the Pats game on November 30th with no worse then an 8-3 record. In between that time the Ravens play games at Cleveland,at Houston,at the Giants and have Philly at home. They are going to lose at least 2 of those games which will give them 5 possibly 6 losses. The Browns are going to lose at least one or two games as well between now and November 30th. They play the Ravens,Broncos,at Buffalo on a Monday night and then host a much improved Houston Texans team who has been playing a lot better over the last 3 weeks. So that will give them at least 5 losses and possibly more depending upon what happens. A win versus the Redskins on Monday night I really believe will give the Steelers a lot of momentum going into this stretch of home games which they should be able to win. I believe that it will finally allow us to be able to put some decent seperation between the Ravens and Browns.

SteelersfaninPhilly
10-28-2008, 06:37 PM
Ryan Clark dislocated shoulder. Ruled out for Monday night.

steelerschick1220
10-28-2008, 09:49 PM
^Well, that sucks. :(

Troyisabeast, you always have such great posts. I agree we should root for the Browns to beat the Ratbirds. Only problem with that is that Dawgs may once again decide to bless us with his presence.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-28-2008, 11:47 PM
They knew Clark had a dislocated shoulder from the start, the trainers popped it back into place on the spot. I was hoping he'd be ok for this week...damn now we're stuck with Clark or Smith...I think I'd rather give Darren Perry a call and see if he wants to suit up on Monday night. :reddevil:

It's against my religion to root for the Browns even if it helps us but I know since the Ratbirds are only 1 game behind we need them to lose and us to win to increase that lead in our division. Both of those teams hate each others guts so it's anybody's game between those two. The Clowns will be up for that game so it should be interesting.

ItAintEasyBeingPeazy
10-28-2008, 11:55 PM
Carnell Lake bagged my groceries last week at Giant Eagle..looked to be in good shape...maybe? :nahnah:

SteelfordWexler
10-29-2008, 12:29 PM
It's against my religion to root for the Browns even if it helps us but I know since the Ratbirds are only 1 game behind we need them to lose and us to win to increase that lead in our division. Both of those teams hate each others guts so it's anybody's game between those two. The Clowns will be up for that game so it should be interesting.

If it helps any - the Rats are actually the Browns in purple disguise.

Stlrs4Life
10-29-2008, 06:03 PM
Yea well that would be great but all kidding aside that is not going to happen so you gotta be realistic about it and root for the Browns. If the Steelers keep taking care of their own business what the Ravens and Browns do will be completely irrelevant.

Exactly. I don't worry about other teams, we have enough to worry about our own.