PDA

View Full Version : We can stop this "best team in the NFL" talk now

BlitzburghRockCity
10-26-2008, 09:46 PM
This team is so beaten up, beaten down, battered and can't get out of it's own way on offense against a good defense that calling us anything remotely close to a great team is ridiculous at this point. Do you all realize at this point in the season we have not beat a team with a winning record that is of any substance right now in the league. The Ratbirds don't scare anybody when confronted against a quality defense. The Eagles lit us up, the Giants lit us up with all kinds of pressure, point to any game you like but look at our first 5 wins and find me a quality opponent.

Yes I know you can't control the schedule but you can control your wins and losses and right now this team cannot put a quality opponent away plain and simple.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-26-2008, 09:52 PM
I know troyisabeast 43 will post up his thoughts on the rest of the season like he always does. He does a great job of putting things into perspective but right now this was a huge game for us and we did not respond. In my book that makes us nothing more than above average at best.

Until we learn to pick up the blitz, until Ben uses Heath more, until the team stops shooting itself in the foot nothing is going to change.

Black@Gold Forever32
10-26-2008, 09:54 PM
This team is so beaten up, beaten down, battered and can't get out of it's own way on offense against a good defense that calling us anything remotely close to a great team is ridiculous at this point. Do you all realize at this point in the season we have not beat a team with a winning record that is of any substance right now in the league. The Ratbirds don't scare anybody when confronted against a quality defense. The Eagles lit us up, the Giants lit us up with all kinds of pressure, point to any game you like but look at our first 5 wins and find me a quality opponent.

Yes I know you can't control the schedule but you can control your wins and losses and right now this team cannot put a quality opponent away plain and simple.

Ok....In two years what quality team has this team beaten with Mike Tomlin as HC?....I guess the Jags in Jacksonville.....But there is even questions on how good the Jags are at this point since they're are battered with injuries of their own.....I just think the NFL without Tom Brady is filled with just average at best football teams right now.....Whover is the healthiest at the end will win it all....Not much seperates the top teams from the bottom teams....That is why the talk of the Steelers being elite starts up and us having the divsion locked up also....

I don't blame fans for stating up the talk since they do make great points.....But I always take the one game approach especially in this wide open NFL....Its a cray season and its just going to get crazier.....

jpele
10-26-2008, 10:10 PM
We controlled the Giants for 31/2 quarters with a very banged up team. Had we been healthy there's no doubt in my mind we would have won by at least 14.

We need to get healthy and get rid of Arians and Colon, a special thanks goes out to Holmes for letting his teammates down. I really believe Holmes would have made a difference.

DBR96A
10-26-2008, 10:13 PM
Ok....In two years what quality team has this team beaten with Mike Tomlin as HC?....I guess the Jags in Jacksonville.....But there is even questions on how good the Jags are at this point since they're are battered with injuries of their own.....I just think the NFL without Tom Brady is filled with just average at best football teams right now.....Whover is the healthiest at the end will win it all....Not much seperates the top teams from the bottom teams....That is why the talk of the Steelers being elite starts up and us having the divsion locked up also....

I don't blame fans for stating up the talk since they do make great points.....But I always take the one game approach especially in this wide open NFL....Its a cray season and its just going to get crazier.....

Mike Tomlin is not the problem. Bruce Arians is. And before we give Tomlin hell for keeping Arians around, just remember that Bill Cowher kept Kordell Stewart around.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-26-2008, 10:15 PM
There is no great team in the league right now I think we can all agree on that. Are the Steelers an upper echelon team right now? I don't know. We can beat up on lesser teams but we can't beat the good teams. So far this year we are 0-2 in that category; basically picking up where we left off last year. If you're going to be one of the best then you have to beat one of the best and we haven't proved we can do that with any consistency if at all right now.

Im not saying we suck, we all know we don't, but this team has got to find a way to put away their opponent when they have the chance.

Black@Gold Forever32
10-26-2008, 10:22 PM
We controlled the Giants for 31/2 quarters with a very banged up team. Had we been healthy there's no doubt in my mind we would have won by at least 14.

We need to get healthy and get rid of Arians and Colon, a special thanks goes out to Holmes for letting his teammates down. I really believe Holmes would have made a difference.

Arians is an idiot and Colon just isn't a NFL OT......When he was drafted the talk was he would be an OG in the NFL...Problem is the Steelers don't really have another option at RT on the roster.......I can't just use the injuries as an excuse...Many teams throughout the NFL have injuries as well.....You go with what you have.....I agree Holmes was missed but Nate was solid today......

--- Added 10/26/2008 at 08:22 PM ---

Mike Tomlin is not the problem. Bruce Arians is. And before we give Tomlin hell for keeping Arians around, just remember that Bill Cowher kept Kordell Stewart around.

Ok bringing up Bill Cowher has nothing to do with the conversation....Another thing I was happy when Cowher finally resigned...I liked Coach Cowher but it was time for a change....I just have some serious doubts about Mike Tomlin as an NFL HC.....No **** Bruce Arians is a problem...I don't know how many times I have stated that Bruce is an idiot....lol

But again this team hasn't beat a quality team since Tomlin has been HC.....lol That is fact....The Jags win in Jacksonville was his most impressive win as HC.....That win even has lost some luster since the Browns beat them in Jacksonville today....I really think there isn't many quality teams in the NFL right now...There isn't much seperating the top teams from the bottom teams....But I do consider the Giants one of the better teams in the NFL and the Steelers lost.....Not all of the blame is on Tomlin but he should shoulder some of it....

BlitzburghRockCity
10-26-2008, 10:26 PM
Holmes was missed BIG time today; Nate had a whole 1 catch all be it for a TD that was huge and he would have had another if the Line wouldn't have gotten called for holding. Yes he did ok but with Holmes out it makes things a hundred times harder because defense can double Hines all day long and if they want to they can double both Nate and Hines and then who is left? Nobody but Sweed who did make some plays but he's still learning.

This is where Heath has got to be a bigger factor. He is the X factor on this offense and never get used.

jpele
10-26-2008, 10:32 PM
Arians is an idiot and Colon just isn't a NFL OT......When he was drafted the talk was he would be an OG in the NFL...Problem is the Steelers don't really have another option at RT on the roster.......I can't just use the injuries as an excuse...Many teams throughout the NFL have injuries as well.....You go with what you have.....I agree Holmes was missed but Nate was solid today......

Max Starks could have player RT and could now, if their willing to try Essex at LT. As far as OC goes let Ben run the offense the rest of the season

--- Added 10/26/2008 at 08:32 PM ---

Holmes was missed BIG time today; Nate had a whole 1 catch all be it for a TD that was huge and he would have had another if the Line wouldn't have gotten called for holding. Yes he did ok but with Holmes out it makes things a hundred times harder because defense can double Hines all day long and if they want to they can double both Nate and Hines and then who is left? Nobody but Sweed who did make some plays but he's still learning.

This is where Heath has got to be a bigger factor. He is the X factor on this offense and never get used.

I agree about Heath, again this falls on Arians shoulders. The man just can't call a game.The sooner Tomlin realizes it the better.

Black@Gold Forever32
10-26-2008, 10:33 PM
Max Starks could have player RT and could now, if their willing to try Essex at LT. As far as OC goes let Ben run the offense the rest of the season

Max Starks was starting at LT since Smith has been out......Starks isn't that much better of an option and he is really better suited for LT since he is left handed....At least that is what some in the organization believe....Max Starks isn't the answer either and he has been very inconsistent since being in the NFL.....Trai Essex is a former 3rd round pick in his fourth season now....If he isn't close to competing for a starting spot then he probably never will....Career backup is what he is....Like I said Colon is the best option at RT and that is sad....

Clevelandsux
10-26-2008, 11:00 PM
Enough!!!! We're 5-2! Nobody has won the Super Bowl yet. Yes, it was a very frustrating loss. But, look how many guys got hurt in the course of this game? Alot of teams have there own problems. Look at Dallas, Ne, Indy etc.

You cannot declare a Super bowl winner in October! There is no dominant team this year.
Stop trying to crown a champion! I think the Steelers will be fine and will bounce back.

Troyisabeast_43
10-27-2008, 12:11 AM
I know troyisabeast 43 will post up his thoughts on the rest of the season like he always does. He does a great job of putting things into perspective but right now this was a huge game for us and we did not respond. In my book that makes us nothing more than above average at best.

Until we learn to pick up the blitz, until Ben uses Heath more, until the team stops shooting itself in the foot nothing is going to change.

Im right with you TG we had numerous chances to put this game away today despite the injuries and everything else involved and we just didnot get the job done plain and simple. The bottom line today is the Giants made the plays when they had too late in this game like the play to Toomer on the 4th and 6 which was just a great play, and the 3rd and 7 play to Steve Smith which really set up the Giants go ahead TD. The Steelers went 1 for 10 on 3rd down today and that simply is just not going to get it done I dont care who you are playing. As for the rest of the season, the Steelers are still sitting on top of this division at 5-2 without a loss in the conference still and a 5-0 AFC record. With Buffalo losing today it still keeps us with the number 2 seed going into the first week of November with 9 games left. With that being said, the Ravens and Browns both did win today so this division race is definitely far from being over much like I had stated a few weeks earlier. The Ravens are now only a game behind and the Browns are 2 games behind and they will meet one another next week in Cleveland for a huge showdown. You want to root for the Browns in that game so that at the very worst both of them are 4-4 and the Steelers now face a very very tough test on the road next week on Monday night against a pretty good Redskins team.

HUNT4SEVEN
10-27-2008, 12:23 AM

Sad to say but true:plus1:

Troyisabeast_43
10-27-2008, 12:51 AM
Im with TG and you 60 when it comes to the line picking up the blitz. This was the first real test since the Philly game and the Steelers for all practical purposes failed miserably. Kiwanuka was unblocked so many times in this game and that right there is just inexcusable. The Steelers are going to continue to keep seeing a lot of this the rest of the way seeing that a lot of these defenses they play coming up are pretty good and like to blitz. I do think they are going to keep looking at it and working to improve upon it, but the performance today by the o-line will not be good enough to get it done come playoff time.

$teelersRule
10-27-2008, 02:06 AM
i cant even talk to my girlfriend tonight now... she is a giants fan :evilshake:

ejsteeler
10-27-2008, 01:47 PM
i cant even talk to my girlfriend tonight now... she is a giants fan :evilshake:

:rofl: that's rough $teelersRule!!

So I am th eonly one that thinks we should have went for three instead of going for it? Reed was right there at Tomlins side like :wtf: . Minor part of the game as it turned out, but you never know.....

Clevelandsux
10-27-2008, 06:23 PM
OK guys, we suck!! And Cleveland's going to the Super Bowl!

LarryNJ
10-27-2008, 09:39 PM
just remember that Bill Cowher kept Kordell Stewart around.

When you think of that 5-2 looks great!!

Stlrs4Life
10-28-2008, 08:05 PM
I'm with ya TG. If this team had half an Offense, we would be dangerous.

Dean Denton
10-29-2008, 12:38 PM
Mike Tomlin is not the problem. Bruce Arians is. And before we give Tomlin hell for keeping Arians around, just remember that Bill Cowher kept Kordell Stewart around.Before everone starts pointing fingers at Arians, and Tomlin , maybe we should be pointing at Jeff Hartings for retiring. This team was bad when Bill was still the coach. Do you not remember the 8-8 season after our center retired? How many sacks did we give up that season? And Faneca was still here. Nothing has changed in the last three season. Maybe we should be pointing to our wicked smart GM, that gets so much credit for always getting great players in the draft, because in three years this guy has failed to get us a center. The center is the most important player on that field and we have not had one since SB 40, and it shows.

SteelerSteve
11-02-2008, 08:58 PM
The Injuries werent to blame. The lousy play by the offense was. Big Ben played poorly save the touchdown to Nate, and the line didn't do their job. Some bad luck came our way as well.