PDA

View Full Version : Unprepared and Outcoached

MOTORKRAFT
10-26-2008, 08:01 PM
The Steelers are 5-2 despite Tomlin, not because of him. The Steelers always beat the teams they should and always loose to the teams that are better, even at home. Ken Whisenhunt should have been the head coach from day one, simple as that. From day one Tomlin has been a joke. Get ready for an 8 and 8 season, or maybe an early playoff loss. In the future look forward to no playoffs. Tomlin will talk it up good, because thats what he does. I really hope new ownership comes and new coaching changes come also. We as Steeler fans will be f***ed when the salary cap comes to an end. I don't mean to hating on the Steelers, but our future is looking bleak.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-26-2008, 08:09 PM
Did Tomlin throw 4 INTs? Did allow 5 sacks and countless knock downs? Did he shoot the ball 10 ft over the punters head? Did he not get pressure on Eli? Did he make all the false starts and holding calls?

No he didn't; now yes he is the Head Coach and is ultimately responsible but this team was in the game until the very end and the players didn't respond when we needed them.

If anything you should be calling our Arians for the poor choice of play calling.

Black@Gold Forever32
10-26-2008, 08:16 PM
Did Tomlin throw 4 INTs? Did allow 5 sacks and countless knock downs? Did he shoot the ball 10 ft over the punters head? Did he not get pressure on Eli? Did he make all the false starts and holding calls?

No he didn't; now yes he is the Head Coach and is ultimately responsible but this team was in the game until the very end and the players didn't respond when we needed them.

If anything you should be calling our Arians for the poor choice of play calling.

But Mike Tomlin does nothing to convince he will ever be a quality HC in the NFL....Yes the execution by the players is as much to blame as the coaches.....But I do put blame in the coaches as well.....It seems when we were up 14-9 that Arians/Tomlin went into turtle mode and got to damn conservative......To many runs on first and second down....We had the Giants down and we should have kept the foot on the peddle....I'm not saying keep throwing the ball deep....But mix in the pass on first down once in awhile....Don't wait until we are just up 14-12 when we lost the momentum.....

NCSteeler
10-26-2008, 08:22 PM
Tomlin is a good coach. A bad coach would do nothign with this team and th einjuries we have suffered, aka Jax. We are lucky to be where we are considering the injuries . Tomlin and the staff have done a fine job getting UDFAs, Rookies, and backups ready to come in and play well.(minus the long snapper)

BlitzburghRockCity
10-26-2008, 08:31 PM
But Mike Tomlin does nothing to convince he will ever be a quality HC in the NFL....Yes the execution by the players is as much to blame as the coaches.....But I do put blame in the coaches as well.....It seems when we were up 14-9 that Arians/Tomlin went into turtle mode and got to damn conservative......To many runs on first and second down....We had the Giants down and we should have kept the foot on the peddle....I'm not saying keep throwing the ball deep....But mix in the pass on first down once in awhile....Don't wait until we are just up 14-12 when we lost the momentum.....

We kept the peddle to the medal as much as we could after that, remember in the 3rd quarter late we had the TD to Nate but it was called back. Arians and Tomlin didn't do that, the players did. Then in the 4th the Giants turned up the heat and the offense went nowhere.

SteelersfaninPhilly
10-26-2008, 08:37 PM
Take our lumps. Lets get healthy and rebound.

At least this was not a division or conference game.

SteelerFan87
10-26-2008, 08:40 PM
The Steelers are 5-2 despite Tomlin, not because of him. The Steelers always beat the teams they should and always loose to the teams that are better, even at home.

So, what you're saying is, the Steelers do what is supposed to happen by definition?
I mean, the teams you're supposed to beat are the teams you're supposed to beat, because you're SUPPOSED to beat them. So if we do, we're doing what we're supposed to do.
And "the teams that are better" are teams that can and probably should beat you, that's why they're called "better".

:dunno:

DBR96A
10-26-2008, 08:41 PM
This has nothing to do with Mike Tomlin, and everything to do with Bruce Arians, the offensive line, and even Ben to some extent. If Tomlin was responsible for the ****** offense, then he was also responsible for the excellent defense.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-26-2008, 08:43 PM
This has nothing to do with Mike Tomlin, and everything to do with Bruce Arians, the offensive line, and even Ben to some extent. If Tomlin was responsible for the shiatty offense, then he was also responsible for the excellent defense.

This is where Tomlin needs to step in and make changes to how the gameplan is set. He has to sign off on it every week and you can't just run run run on 1st down every single time. I mean my God mix it up alittle. If Arians continuously can't get his offensive gameplan ready to go against a quality defense the rest of the year looks bleak plain and simple.

DBR96A
10-26-2008, 08:47 PM
This is where Tomlin needs to step in and make changes to how the gameplan is set. He has to sign off on it every week and you can't just run run run on 1st down every single time. I mean my God mix it up alittle. If Arians continuously can't get his offensive gameplan ready to go against a quality defense the rest of the year looks bleak plain and simple.

I think this game was strike two for Bruce Arians this season. Three strikes and he's out.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-26-2008, 08:50 PM
Dude he's had so many strikes against him going back to last year he should have been out long ago. Beating up on mediocre or bad teams is one thing, we know he can do that, but beating quality opponents is not on his resume.

K Train
10-26-2008, 09:03 PM
lol here we go with the sky is falling talks again...its not the end of the world

DBR96A
10-26-2008, 09:04 PM
Dude he's had so many strikes against him going back to last year he should have been out long ago. Beating up on mediocre or bad teams is one thing, we know he can do that, but beating quality opponents is not on his resume.

Maybe the deal was that he'd get a second chance this season, but if he kept screwing up, then he was gone. don't want him around either, but firing him tomorrow probably won't do too much good.

jpele
10-26-2008, 09:05 PM
Congrats to the Giants for beating the Steelers second team after all thats what it came down too. Was it Tomlins fault ? In a roundabout way yes.

Tomlin is the reason Arians is still in the NFL
Tomlin is the reason Colon has a job (Willie wouldn't make it as RT for Penn St.)
I have no idea who sent Harrison out as a long snapper ( Stapleton comes to mind) Essex could have played RT for the snap.

And I disagree about running to much, I would have run the ball moore, the final two drives consisted of 4 incomplete passes, then incomplete,incomplete, sack interception.

Black@Gold Forever32
10-26-2008, 09:28 PM
We kept the peddle to the medal as much as we could after that, remember in the 3rd quarter late we had the TD to Nate but it was called back. Arians and Tomlin didn't do that, the players did. Then in the 4th the Giants turned up the heat and the offense went nowhere.

I watched the game of course I remember the TD that was called back due to Colon's hold....But with a 14-9 lead to many times after that it was run on first down and run on second down....setting up third and long with OL that can't pass protect....lol Tell how that is smart football and putting your players in a position to succeed.....Arians is to blame but so is Tomlin since he is the HC.....lol

BlitzburghRockCity
10-26-2008, 09:32 PM
I watched the game of course I remember the TD that was called back due to Colon's hold....But with a 14-9 lead to many times after that it was run on first down and run on second down....setting up third and long with OL that can't pass protect....lol Tell how that is smart football and putting your players in a position to succeed.....Arians is to blame but so is Tomlin since he is the HC.....lol

Oh trust me man I hear ya and I agree, all too often we go into stupid mode after we get a lead and then it comes back to bite us. This time it did. I felt like they were trying to keep things going after going up 14-9 and when Nate scored for a split second I said yes we've got this now but after that it seemed like things just completely fell apart and they never recovered. The killer instinct they thought they had today just left in the 4th quarter and that was all she wrote.

LatrobePA
10-26-2008, 09:34 PM
I for one think we had a good game plan. With that said we win with Ben and we lose with Ben, 4 picks and 99.9% of the sacks today were on him....Take away the TO's we win no problem!!

For once I can say game calling wasn't the reason for this loss!!

DBR96A
10-26-2008, 09:39 PM
If Ben threw the ball away every time he was pressured, his completion percentage would be in the 40's.

steelerschick1220
10-26-2008, 09:43 PM
4 Int's......Dang. I taped the game, but doubt I will watch it now. I think Tomlin will make a good head coach. My faith in him will really go up if he cans Arians after the season. It seems bad now, but by Tuesday we will all be over it. It is one loss. It wasn't in the conference or the divison. We are still a good team. We just need to make some changes to be as good as we want to be.

LatrobePA
10-26-2008, 09:44 PM
If Ben threw the ball away every time he was pressured, his completion percentage would be in the 40's.

Then his life span and sack totals would be for the better!!

All those mistakes and we only lost by a freakin TD...Life will go on, and we will get better!!

Clevelandsux
10-26-2008, 10:13 PM
How can you not have a back-up long snapper?

BlitzburghRockCity
10-26-2008, 10:23 PM
Then his life span and sack totals would be for the better!!

All those mistakes and we only lost by a freakin TD...Life will go on, and we will get better!!

Little consolation right now after the game but this is true, the team needs to regroup and find a way to come together against Washington next Monday night. Portis is a tall order to stop but if we can keep him in check it will go a long way.

Clevelandsux
10-26-2008, 10:31 PM
I think we can keep Portis in check.

But, one thing I've noticed is that we seem to lack a killer instinct. I've noticed this the last few weeks. We totally dominated the Jags, but had to mount a winning drive in the last minutes. The Bengals game, we were totally dominating. But, remember we only were up 17-10 going into the 4th qtr. We looked bored and unenthused. Same today, but against a better opponent. We had many opportunities to put away the Giants but didn't.

HUNT4SEVEN
10-26-2008, 11:58 PM
Untill we get rid of Arians we will never win anything:cursin:Tomlins not the problem, Play Calling has been killing us since last year:tt02::yellowthumb::cope:

SteelfordWexler
10-27-2008, 09:36 AM
The coach always looks like an idiot after a loss, but it is tuff to know the whole story from just watching on TV. You can't see what was happening away from the ball.

The Good:
The defense - give credit where it's due. These guys played lights out.
Better protection up front - yeah thats right. Much improved recognition and communication. Very few guys came free (if any) when they didn't send more than we had to block. The line gave up 1 or 2 sacks. The rest were on Ben and maybe the receivers.
Good use of the challenge. Tomlin may not have won a single challenge last year.

The Bad:
No ability to generate a threat with the running game. Memo has been solid, but we couldn't get the consistent 4-5 yard plays in the second half to keep the pass rush honest and keep our D on the sideline.

No special in special teams. Our coverage wasn't great - they set up a score with a big punt return at one point and we did nothing on our returns (again). Don't mention the LS. Give props to Mitch for gutting it out with a bad hamstring.

The ugly:
Intermediate/ Short passing game. The big difference in this game to me was that Ben couldn't find an open man in time. Losing Holmes certainly had an impact. He dropped back, planted and double clutched if his first option was covered- then nothing good happened. Maybe Ben has been hit too much - he is looking at the rush early all the time. On the other side - Eli got the ball out when he was pressured. It wasn't always complete, but it didn't usually result in a negative play.

Either the receivers couldn't get seperation or Ben couldn't find the right guy. Blame the players or Arians or Tomlin if you must. They probably all deserve some blame. You may consider giving some credit to a defense who did a similar number on the Pats in the SB.

We played these guys very even. Keep the faith - we are improving! We've got time to get it together. We need to peak in January, not October. Not a division game, not a conference game. Not a playoff game - not the end of the world.

Moondog
10-27-2008, 10:22 AM
lol here we go with the sky is falling talks again...its not the end of the world

I second that.

ejsteeler
10-27-2008, 10:46 AM
Pardon me for saying, but it seems to me only fair weather fans would be calling for the HC's head with a 5-2 record.....:scratch:
This team has moved forward through some tough times, as it should, but it is a reflection of Tomlin's leadership that we are not 2-5 which could easily be the case.
I'm not sold on Arian's play calling at times, but it is execution that has lost our games for the most part.
Tomlin is a class act and will be the HC for years to come. Get used to it or get another team. :yesnod: :cope:

JB 67
10-27-2008, 12:04 PM
The Steelers are 5-2 despite Tomlin, not because of him. The Steelers always beat the teams they should and always loose to the teams that are better, even at home. Ken Whisenhunt should have been the head coach from day one, simple as that. From day one Tomlin has been a joke. Get ready for an 8 and 8 season, or maybe an early playoff loss. In the future look forward to no playoffs. Tomlin will talk it up good, because thats what he does. I really hope new ownership comes and new coaching changes come also. We as Steeler fans will be f***ed when the salary cap comes to an end. I don't mean to hating on the Steelers, but our future is looking bleak. Tomlin doesn't play on the O-line football games are won on the line of scrimmage.... :cope:

K Train
10-27-2008, 02:43 PM
How can you not have a back-up long snapper?

better question....who the **** has a backup long snapper

Clevelandsux
10-27-2008, 05:20 PM
I think this game was strike two for Bruce Arians this season. Three strikes and he's out.

Only if The steelers see it our way.

--- Added 10/27/2008 at 04:20 PM ---

better question....who the **** has a backup long snapper

Nobody, but have someone else on your team trained to do the job. Harrison obviously wasn't. They had Farrior taking reps on the sidelines. This intially costs us the game. We couldn't try a fg or anything.