PDA

View Full Version : How is Harrison the only option at Long Snapper?

BlitzburghRockCity
10-26-2008, 07:37 PM
You tell me, somebody please, how you do not have a viable option at backup snapper who is atleast taking snaps during the week. Putting Harrison in that position in a crisis situation when you know he doesn't get any practice at it but once in a blue moon is absurb. Why you don't put Stapleton in there or even Hartwig who atleast is a Center is an absolute travesty!

SteelerFan87
10-26-2008, 08:03 PM
You tell me, somebody please, how you do not have a viable option at backup snapper who is atleast taking snaps during the week. Putting Harrison in that position in a crisis situation when you know he doesn't get any practice at it but once in a blue moon is absurb. Why you don't put Stapleton in there or even Hartwig who atleast is a Center is an absolute travesty!

Exactly. I do not understand that at all.
And then when the Harrison experiment failed, they had FARRIOR practicing on the sideline. WTF?
Do we not have guys on the team who's job is to snap the ball, just to a shorter distance? Would Hartwig or Stapleton have possibly screwed that up more than it was?

BlitzburghRockCity
10-26-2008, 08:05 PM
A guy who is so torqued up on adrenaline and into the game and then you expect him to come and play a position like long snapper that is so crucial...it's not fair to him or the team. A regular center could atleast squid it back and give the kicker a chance.

MOTORKRAFT
10-26-2008, 08:07 PM
refer to my thread.

NCSteeler
10-26-2008, 08:10 PM
Pretty sure they wouldn't let Hartwig even practice long snapping much, becaus eit can ruin your touch on shotgun snaps. That being said I think all the lineman shoud be practiced up on long snapping, especially the backup who have time to take reps.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-26-2008, 08:11 PM
Just listening to Hartwig on the post game show he said that both neither he nor Stapleton had any experience at long snapping so they would have been no help at all. I still don't get why James was the option they went with unless Im totally missing something.

KSSteelerfan
10-26-2008, 08:11 PM
I agree...had we had a better backup long snapper and a healthy punter the Giants might not have gotten that safety and the 2 points that tied the game at that moment.

lloydfan4life
10-26-2008, 08:28 PM
IMO we handed them the game with that play.
I don't blame JH at all. This play was a direct result of poor planning on the coaching staff!

BlitzburghRockCity
10-26-2008, 08:34 PM
This one falls squarely on the shoulders of Tomlin, you have to cover all the bases and it was clear today that we didn't have the backup we needed at this position. It's an often overlooked area I'll grant you that, I mean how often do you expect your long snapper to get hurt...but be that as it may he's paid to have this team prepared and in this aspect he didn't IMO.

Now if James is the legitimate backup long snapper which we don't know for sure but I doubt it based on what I've read about him and what Hartwig said then he needed to come through.

Stairwayto7
10-26-2008, 08:36 PM
No shiat! And Harrison feels like shiat and it wasn`t his fault

jpele
10-26-2008, 09:17 PM
How could they put James Harrison in as long snapper? Does the name Bob Ligashesky ring a bell. People forgot we have a joke for special teams coach because there was an improvement in coverage. Look at the overall special team and that should answer your question.

Black@Gold Forever32
10-26-2008, 09:41 PM
How could they put James Harrison in as long snapper? Does the name Bob Ligashesky ring a bell. People forgot we have a joke for special teams coach because there was an improvement in coverage. Look at the overall special team and that should answer your question.

If every player could long snap then teams wouldn't waste a roster spot to have a long snapper.....Its really more difficult then it looks....I use to try to do it all the time in High School when I played...lol Its not a given if Hartwig and Stapleton would have been better options as a LS......Last time Stapleton long snapped was in high school....Its safe to say Harrison wasn't the best option either.....It just goes to show on how important long snapping really is......

Clevelandsux
10-26-2008, 10:26 PM
Yah well I think Hartwig should have been the snapper. He is the center. We use the shotgun formation. This goes back to poor preparation by the coaches. How can you not have someone else ready in case of emergency?

I mean we would have been screwed had we had to try a FG.

--- Added 10/26/2008 at 09:26 PM ---

Rule of thumb. Nothing ever good comes after you give up a safety. I knew the game was over after the safety. Free kick, team gets good field position.

Troyisabeast_43
10-26-2008, 11:24 PM

I agree TG it was an insane move and just didnot make any sense at all. I was listening to the post game as well on the way home from the game and they were talking about how a guy like Hartwig would be more equipped to doing long snaps over a guy like Harrison since he takes 60 snaps a game. It was just too risky to throw a guy like Harrison in there when you were that close to your end zone and needed everything to be executed right. Very very dumb and questionable move by Mike Tomlin here and one he should be questioned on a lot. They are definitely going to need to go out and sign a long snapper now seeing that Greg Warren is out for the season with a torn ACL.

HUNT4SEVEN
10-26-2008, 11:38 PM
Exactly. I do not understand that at all.
And then when the Harrison experiment failed, they had FARRIOR practicing on the sideline. WTF?
Do we not have guys on the team who's job is to snap the ball, just to a shorter distance? Would Hartwig or Stapleton have possibly screwed that up more than it was?

That's what i said i just knew that when Warren went down that Hartwig would handle the long snapping duites, or Stapleton at the least, who came up with that bright ideal?:rant2::cursin:

BR7
10-27-2008, 01:42 AM
Imagine if we had scored to 'attempt' to tie the game. Was that why Farrior was warming up?

I would have felt better if Ben pooched it. Hartwig would have been there to snap it. May have even got off a decent punt due to the illusion of going for it on 4th. Putting anyone there (with zero snapping experience) other than a center (with the long snapper out) is just flat out ridiculous.

Edit.. where's Mahan :lol:

ejsteeler
10-27-2008, 12:39 PM
IMO we handed them the game with that play.
I don't blame JH at all. This play was a direct result of poor planning on the coaching staff!

100% right on the money! :yellowthumb:

Troyisabeast_43
10-29-2008, 07:59 PM
Yah well I think Hartwig should have been the snapper. He is the center. We use the shotgun formation. This goes back to poor preparation by the coaches. How can you not have someone else ready in case of emergency?

I mean we would have been screwed had we had to try a FG.

--- Added 10/26/2008 at 09:26 PM ---

Rule of thumb. Nothing ever good comes after you give up a safety. I knew the game was over after the safety. Free kick, team gets good field position.

I guess it just goes to show us that Tomlin is not this prepared and organized and pay attention to detail and never miss anything coach that we all heard about and thought he was when he was hired here last year. Because if he was then he would have been prepared for this and had an option at long snapper instead of just throwing James Harrison in there to do it. You are 100 percent correct when you say it's a huge indictment on this coaching staff and especially Tomlin. I didnt care for the post game comments as well by Tomlin after the game when asked about this. He got really arrogant about it to the media and just completely blew it off. Then, on Tuesday he sat there and tried to explain the difference between the shotgun snap and a long snap. Well that's great Coach Tomlin we all know the difference between a shotgun snap and long snap you as the head coach of this football team should have had someone capable and ready to do it incase Warren got hurt and wasnt able too and you failed miserably.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-29-2008, 09:40 PM
I have to say that I stand corrected, per the article on steelers.com, (http://news.steelers.com/article/98531/) Tomlin said that Harrison & Farrior have the backup long snappers since day 1 when he got here. Also he gets regular reps in practice at it so basically Silverback was the main backup guy but he just wasn't prepared to handle the pressure of snapping on such short notice in a game situation like that.

MOTORKRAFT
10-29-2008, 10:22 PM
I have to say that I stand corrected, per the article on steelers.com, (http://news.steelers.com/article/98531/) Tomlin said that Harrison & Farrior have the backup long snappers since day 1 when he got here. Also he gets regular reps in practice at it so basically Silverback was the main backup guy but he just wasn't prepared to handle the pressure of snapping on such short notice in a game situation like that. Coach Tomlin is an excuse artist !!! Since day 1 when he got here Harrison and Farrior have been the backup long snappers. Don't blame him it was already here. Coach Tomlin didn't build this O'line it was already here. Coach Tomlin didn't hire Ariens, he was already here. Coach Tomlin didn't keep Zierlien he was already here. He has a built in excuse for everything. He has done nothing as a head coach other than go with the flow. As a person I like coach Tomlin. As a fan I want him to prepare for a game as much as he prepares for a press conference.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-29-2008, 10:45 PM
Honestly I find it odd that Linebackers are backup long snappers. Seems like you should have a backup Center take reps as a long snapper right? I know LS is a craft and an art all to it's own but atleast giving your backup guy some reps so he can, if nothing else get it back there even if it isn't pretty. Linebackers aren't used to snapping a ball at all much less snapping it and then trying to block an oncoming NT from getting through.

Troyisabeast_43
10-29-2008, 11:02 PM
I have to say that I stand corrected, per the article on steelers.com, (http://news.steelers.com/article/98531/) Tomlin said that Harrison & Farrior have the backup long snappers since day 1 when he got here. Also he gets regular reps in practice at it so basically Silverback was the main backup guy but he just wasn't prepared to handle the pressure of snapping on such short notice in a game situation like that.

Now it says here that Harrison and Farrior do work on it in practice but the question is how much do they work on it and were they really prepared for this incase Warren did go down?? The simple answer to that question is obviously not enough because it just appeared that with the way that ball was hiked by Harrison that he had absolutely no clue on what he was doing. Im not blaming Harrison at all for this because Tomlin like I stated should have a guy ready to go in there and fill the void and the bottom line is he didnt.

Steelerlyn
10-29-2008, 11:39 PM
we need to......

BRING BACK COWHER POWER

--- Added 10/29/2008 at 10:39 PM ---

But in all seriousness, I'll bet there are coaches all over the league asking their special teams guru: Who is our back-up if the long-snapper gets lame? :scratch:

MOTORKRAFT
10-29-2008, 11:43 PM
Honestly I find it odd that Linebackers are backup long snappers. Seems like you should have a backup Center take reps as a long snapper right? I know LS is a craft and an art all to it's own but atleast giving your backup guy some reps so he can, if nothing else get it back there even if it isn't pretty. Linebackers aren't used to snapping a ball at all much less snapping it and then trying to block an oncoming NT from getting through.
Linebackers doing long snaps is like putting socks on a chicken. You just don't do it.

TEEMONT
11-01-2008, 11:10 AM
Ok, this thread just goes to show how some people just don't get the intricacies of football. Long-snapping being one of them.

For those of you asking why Hartwig or Stapleton didn't do the snapping, likening it to the shotgun, think about that one for a moment. A shotgun snap is fairly simple, its a 3-5 yards very easy, soft snap. You aren't worried about it getting there quickly, you just want it in the QB's hands.

A long snap is typically anwhere from 10-15 yards, depending on the coach, and it has to have ZIP! Now, in order to get that zip, you need to almost **** your body like a gun, you need to get nice and compact and then EXPLODE into the snap. You are literally throwing the ball to the punter between your legs. Some of the bigger guys, like Hartwig and/or Stapleton probably have troubles getting into a position where they have the power to snap the ball 10-15 yards. In a shotgun snap you are in a regualr stance. Youtube a vid of Warren doing his job.

Also, another thing to think abotu size wise, is that most LS are either back-up, bac-up, back-up tight ends, or a 4 deep LB. Warren is 6'2" 250, about the same as most LB's. Its easier to long snap if you have a smaller frame.

here is a vid I found on youtube, to give you guys a bit of a visual.

Oh, I used to LS in high school and college.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkxVklxHVsI