PDA

View Full Version : NFL visits Steelers after recent events

jpele
10-22-2008, 07:52 PM
Link (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3657578)

On the command of commissioner Roger Goodell, the NFL sent Ray Anderson, the league's executive vice president of football operations, to Pittsburgh to meet with "a small group" of Steelers that included team owner Dan Rooney, head coach Mike Tomlin, receiver Hines Ward (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=1494) and safety Troy Polamalu (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=4474).

After the ridicules fines handed to Hines, Goodell wasn't man enough to go himself.

"I believe it was a very productive discussion," Anderson said. "You can ask Coach Tomlin and the players themselves. They've certainly indicated to us that, No. 1, they understand, and No. 2, they respect that we took the time to come sit down and engage and talk to them directly."

No.1 probably with the threat of another fine or suspension.

Anderson also mentioned that the NFL is looking into recent comments made by Baltimore Ravens (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=bal) linebacker Terrell Suggs (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=4468) against Ward and Pittsburgh rookie tailback Rashard Mendenhall (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=11257). Suggs mentioned on a recent radio interview that the team has a "bounty" on those two players. "That 'bounty' notion is completely against the rules," Anderson said. "To the extent that someone is engaged in that activity, we will look into it and address it. Yes, we've seen the comments and we're trying to determine the completeness of the circumstances."

Any bets, not a thing will be done. Suggs is denying he said it, but somewhere out there is a clip from the show.

Dean Denton
10-22-2008, 08:06 PM
Why are they talking to Hines? I still have not seen any video of him being dirty. They better have been in there kissing his ***, and giving him his money back. Troy however I agree with him, but that seems a bit out of character to me. Troy always does his talking on the field. I guess enough was enough. Everyone has their breaking point.

DocHolliday1989
10-22-2008, 08:15 PM
:reddevil:Just one more reason for me to Hate The Ravens!! I dont understand how these guys get away with these threats and Hines gets fined for what is Not Considered a Dirty Play. I dont hate many things but the Ravens are One Of'em!!

BlitzburghRockCity
10-22-2008, 08:19 PM
Goodell has not been a happy camper since Troy made that comment so it's no surprise they came out to talk to him. Atleast they allowed Troy, Hines, and Tomlin to be there to voice their concerns. Im quite sure Tomlin had a talk with both players before the meeting to make sure it stayed diplomatic although neither player is cocky or disrespectful to authority so Im sure it was atleast positive even if nothing ever gets done.

SteelerNC
10-22-2008, 08:20 PM
I cannot stand Suggs or the RatBirds

lloydfan4life
10-23-2008, 08:42 AM
2 NFL reps try to calm down Steelers
Fines for unpenalized hits, safety concerns and bounty hunting are addressed
Thursday, October 23, 2008
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Fires burn across the NFL map. Yesterday, the league dispatched two vice presidents to put out a growing blaze in Pittsburgh, and another one popped up in Baltimore.

Ray Anderson, the NFL's executive vice president of football operations, met with Steelers coach Mike Tomlin, his captains and Troy Polamalu to try to ease their concerns about recent comments players have made about the league.

Anderson emerged from that and revealed the NFL is investigating comments made by Baltimore's Terrell Suggs that the Ravens had a "bounty" on Steelers Rashard Mendenhall and Hines Ward.

"We certainly are looking into it," Anderson said. "That bounty notion is completely against the rule and to the extent that if someone is engaged in that activity, we will look into it aggressively."

Suggs agreed recently with a syndicated sports radio talk-show host who asked if the Ravens had a bounty on Mendenhall, the Steelers' rookie halfback who was knocked out for the season when Ray Lewis tackled him and broke his shoulder Sept. 29 in Heinz Field.

"The bounty was out on him and the bounty was out on 86 [Ward]. We just didn't get him between the whistles," Suggs said.

Anderson said the league is "trying to determine the completeness of the circumstances. So, yes, we will look into, and, if it is determined in fact that it was bounty verified, there will certainly be accountability."

Lewis mentioned nothing about a bounty but he did relish ending Mendenhall's season, according to Sports Illustrated's Dan Patrick in his column in the Oct. 20 issue.

"The force was freaking incredible," Patrick quotes Lewis about the tackle. "After the play, I wasn't screaming, 'He's hurt.' I was screaming, 'He's done.' "

Ward shrugged off Suggs' remarks.

"I've been having a bounty for five years now," Ward said. "But they're looking into it. I'll let them handle that; there's nothing I can do about that.

"The league is concerned because you don't want that in the game. This is not the NFL -- any gang-related and get-back for any wars or things like that."

The reaction to Suggs' call for a bounty was muted in the Steelers' locker room. Coach Mike Tomlin told his players not to address it.

"I was told to say no comment, so no comment," said tackle Willie Colon.

Perhaps, the last thing Tomlin wanted was another distraction before the Steelers play the defending Super Bowl champion New York Giants Sunday. It's one reason he had only five players meet with Anderson and Ron Hill, the NFL vice president of football operations, yesterday.

"I think that is the start to laying this thing to bed and moving on and focusing on what we should focus on -- playing football games," Tomlin said. "This week, we have the New York Giants."

Ward said it is the first time in his 11 NFL seasons that someone from the league has paid his team a visit for such purposes.

"Never where the league has some reps come down and talk about the fines and also what's excessive play," said Ward, one of the team's four captains.

"We're going to put it behind us. They told us their side, we told them our side. There's a better understanding and we're going to move on from there."

Ward has been fined twice, a total of $15,000, over two games for "unnecessary roughness," even though no penalties were called against him in either game. He still seemed confused about what he did to prompt them. Polamalu then talked about the NFL becoming a "pansy" league and said he thought it was more over money than safety issues.

"Our discussion with Troy wasn't whether or not it was a pansy league or not," Anderson said. "We wanted him to understand that our interests and emphasis on player safety was genuine, was sincere and it wasn't driven by money or the economics. It wasn't driven by just trying to protect the star players. It was legitimately about player safety."

Anderson said it's not unusual for players to be fined, even though they went unpenalized during the game.

"We had 139 fines assessed through last week's games. I believe 77 of those were uncalled fouls, to your point that not all fines are on fouls that are actually flagged."

http://www.pittsburghpostgazette.com/pg/08297/922151-66.stm

The Ratbirds had a bounty on Mendenhall & Ward.
Suggs and Lewis are both freakin' punks.
So you knock out a player but still lose the game. :duh: Bunch of losers!

SteelerNC
10-23-2008, 08:59 AM
I hate the Rat Birds

ejsteeler
10-23-2008, 10:38 AM
I'm pretty sure SteelerNC hates the ratbirds....:grin1:

I like that they sent someone down and i am not surprised the commish did not come himself. It puts closure on it for these guys. I'm sure they are not 100% satisfied and probably still think it is bogus, but they gave them the courtesy of showing good faith towards their concerns. Let's move on now is all Tomlin wants. Football has to happen folks!!! :yellowthumb: :cope:

lloydfan4life
10-23-2008, 11:41 AM
Mods, sorry about the duplicate topic post. :banging:
I didn't see the one posted yesterday. :duh:

Even if by sending these guys to meet w/the Steelers it has helped to settle some issues in their minds with the fines, the bounty, etc... It still does not change the fact that what Troy said is true. The NFL is becoming a pansy league. The days of the old-school, knock-your-block-off hitting are coming to an end.

I'm starting to believe NFL stands for 'Nother Fine Levied'! :yesnod:

BlitzburghNation
10-23-2008, 02:34 PM
Mr. Go-to-hell sucky :moon: view on this really has :whiz: alot of players off "old & current"
You could ask any die hard FOOTBALL fan,what they wanna see when watching a game and i bet 99% of them would say a bone jarring hit,,,,,,,:popcorn:

IMO,,,,,,,,the owners need to have a serious meeting with :moon: wipe and line him out and maybe he'll wake the hell up and try to keep his job,when his contract's up !!!!!!

--- Added 10/23/2008 at 12:34 PM ---

I hate the Rat Birds

Feel the same way,,,,,,,,My #1 most hated team :greengrin: