PDA

View Full Version : Heinz Field turf...

BlitzburghRockCity
10-16-2006, 01:28 AM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_475215.html

There's an article about it and what the players thought but IMO there was entirely too much slipping going on out there today. We definately didn't appear to have the right size cleats on today but if the field was this bad now, imagine what it's going to be like come December. :nonod:

As much as I love the natural grass surface I wish we'd just go to field turf and be done with it.

Prosdo
10-16-2006, 01:30 AM
I have to agree. The field just can't take the abuse. Time to change it up. The players are slipping extremely too much.

Koopa
10-16-2006, 01:31 AM
what did they use at three rivers stadium?? i was looking at someones sig on this site, and it looked nice, bright green and **** lol

BlitzburghRockCity
10-16-2006, 01:55 AM
That was astro turf. Most teams don't use it anymore since its nothing more than a cement surface with green carpet over top. Alot of teams used it until Field Turf was invented.

I most definately dont want astro turf again, far too many players blowing out knees and ankles on that stuff.

Koopa
10-16-2006, 01:57 AM
at least it looks nice lol..........all i know is our field ****ing sucks, it hurts us more then the other team, what happened to home field advantage???

AZ_Steeler
10-16-2006, 02:35 AM
Willie slipped up a few times today, and Holmes! You're right though Koop what happened to home field advantage. It's not good when the home team is slipping and sliding all over the place and you never once see the opponent slip! What are they doing stealing the Steelers cleats or something :dunno: it doesn't make sense but something does need to be done about it soon.

No astro turf though because it sucks ***! I hate astro turf!

Steelersfan
10-16-2006, 02:37 AM
Ty Law slipped on that first drive we had to free Holmes up for the big pass. But other than that I don't recall too many of the KC players slipping. Maybe it's because they weren't really moving anywhere?.....lol

Friday133
10-17-2006, 03:59 PM
granted in came from PFT, but i read today that gillette stadium will get field turf installed before the end of november. i really like the grass, but maybe field turf is really needed at heinz.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-17-2006, 04:25 PM
The rooneys' spend hundreds of thousands of dollars every year redoing the sod at Heinz and for what? It just seems redundant to have to keep redoing it when year in and year out it gets torn up so bad.

PITT23
10-17-2006, 04:32 PM
The problem is that it takes more wear than most NFL stadiums since it's shared with Pitt and high school playoffs.

suitanim
10-17-2006, 04:39 PM
The problem is that it takes more wear than most NFL stadiums since it's shared with Pitt and high school playoffs.

Yep. That and the weather in Western PA isn't great. By December everything between the hash marks and between the 10's will just be dirt they spray paint green. I hate to say it, but they need to think about the new field turf.

BBG7
10-17-2006, 06:06 PM
I also wonder if there is something wrong with the cleats the Steelers wear. I see them slip a lot more than the opposing team.

Forged in Steel
10-18-2006, 12:26 AM
The Baltimore Ravens use Field Turf. They can't be doing this crap with PITT and the high school teams. It is pretty cool to see the high school teams play there but whats with PITT? They should get their own pad.

House of Steel
10-18-2006, 12:51 AM
Well someone once told me, what college kid wouldn't want the opportunity to play at the home of the World Champion Pittsburgh Steelers? I agree, we really need to do something to that darn field. Field Turf. The hell with Astro Turf, damn I played on that **** at Toledo and let me tell you it hurts like hell getting bodyslammed on that surface. About 85% of the time, my knees are ice wrapped after the game in the locker room.

Steelersfan
10-18-2006, 04:42 AM
The bottom line is there is way to much slipping going on here. Something needs to be done to fix this problem. There is no advantage when our players can slip as easily as the opponents. Not to mention that someone will get hurt playing on this surface.

Captcoolhand
10-18-2006, 08:59 AM
Wouldn't longer cleats help?:dunno:

SteelersWoman
10-18-2006, 09:12 AM
I think it's safe to say that we lose quite a few yards every home game because of it! I've seen what COULD have been a breakout run stopped dead in it's tracks because of a slip--for OUR guys--the opposing teams don't seem to slip as often as ours, which makes no sense.

Captcoolhand
10-18-2006, 09:20 AM
Build another stadium, get all the other teams out of there and grow real grass:bigthumb: Problem solved

SteelersWoman
10-18-2006, 09:40 AM
You'd think that all those slips would cause more injuries as well (forgot to mention that in my last post)--those can be quite costly in and of themselves-- in more ways than one.

House of Steel
10-18-2006, 11:30 AM
You want to try and convince the taxpayers the funding for a new stadium for the High Schools and Pitt, Capt? You already are seeing a lot of school levies going down all the time. That isn't going to win in Western Pennsylvania, I will tell you that from a taxpayer's standpoint. They will call you a crazy, insane fool.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-19-2006, 10:41 PM
They've tried every combination of grass and sod this side of oblivion at Heinz. The climate combined with so much use that the field gets just isn't condusive to growing and upkeep of natural grass. Sooner or later we need to go to field turf; I don't care what time of day it is according to BC !

Captcoolhand
10-20-2006, 09:34 AM
You want to try and convince the taxpayers the funding for a new stadium for the High Schools and Pitt, Capt? You already are seeing a lot of school levies going down all the time. That isn't going to win in Western Pennsylvania, I will tell you that from a taxpayer's standpoint. They will call you a crazy, insane fool.
I understand what you're saying, but why not put it in the schools tutition? parents are already having to pay for their kid to play sports
Pay to play!:cursin:

House of Steel
10-20-2006, 10:54 AM
Capt, you got me with a relatively great point. I see that being a winning forumla. You know I have to admit, The University of Pittsburgh really does need their own house to curb the problem at Heinz.

SteelersFire
10-20-2006, 11:35 AM
I also wonder if there is something wrong with the cleats the Steelers wear. I see them slip a lot more than the opposing team.

I'm with you. What's up with that? :scratch: