PDA

View Full Version : Is our LB crew the best in the NFL

BlitzburghRockCity
10-19-2008, 05:16 PM
Right now it would be hard argue otherwise. Just look at the stats today (http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter?game_id=29620&displayPage=tab_gamecenter&season=2008&week=REG7&override=true) vs the Bengals and what they've done so far this season and it's easy to see that this unit (if they continue to play this way) could rival the best LB corps in team history. That's some pretty good company considering the legacy at that position for this team. Timmons was used outside and inside today, Harrison and Wood were moving around inside and outside, Farrior got a sack, they were just all over the place.

Kirkland, Lloyd, Gildon, Porter, Brown, Lambert, Ham, the list goes on and on, and the way our current group is playing the sky is really the limit and Lebeau must just be ecstatic at the possibilities this group gives him.

K Train
10-19-2008, 05:18 PM
its been the best for some time now imo, this group is sick, but it was on the top when it was porter/haggans/foote/farrior too....woodley is sick though and james harrison is what hes always been

Gettysburgh_Steel
10-19-2008, 05:50 PM
We have always had a rich tradition as far as LB's go. Long.........Long line of tradition. Guess drafting two LB's wasn't a good move for Tomlin's first shot at being a head-coach? (LOL):tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02:

HUNT4SEVEN
10-19-2008, 07:39 PM
James an Woodley are beast, they have the top sacking duo in football right now, we had 6 sacks today:tt02:, an we didn't give up none either:yellowthumb:, an a shout out to Leftwich for not messing up:lol:

Stairwayto7
10-19-2008, 07:49 PM
Quick Answer! YES

Zachintosh66
10-19-2008, 08:02 PM
16 between the 2 of them (harrison n woodley)... closing in on the record 24

Stairwayto7
10-19-2008, 08:17 PM
16 between the 2 of them (harrison n woodley)... closing in on the record 24

They have that many? I thought it was closer to 13. But 16 works.

--- Added 10/19/2008 at 07:17 PM ---

Harrison 8.5
Woodley 7.5

16 Total! Nice

BlitzburghNation
10-19-2008, 08:27 PM
This is what all STEELER fans already knew,,,,,,,,Love our LB's and our "D" as a whole,"playing better than any team RIGHT NOW"

Realy looking foward to our next opponent,"The G-Men" which me & steelerlyn will be there,just hope we leave with a big 'o smile :pray: Not worried about our "D" just hope our "O" shows up and kick a little giant :moon:

:towelwave::gs::towelwave:

Black@Gold Forever32
10-19-2008, 08:37 PM
Best in the NFL?....You can't answer that really when you think about it.....Big reason is we're a 3-4 team.....You really can't compare 3-4 LBs to 4-3 LBs.....I would say our LB core is the best 3-4 LB core in the NFL and our best since the early/mid 90s Blitzburgh LB's.......What is scary is Lawrence Timmons isn't even starting and he is making plays when he gets a chance......

BlitzburghRockCity
10-19-2008, 08:42 PM
I would put our 4 starting LB's up against any group in the league, include Timmons in there as well. 43 linebackers are different types of play makers but in this league most every team deploys some sort of 34 and 43 mix on any given week along with cover 2 and what ever you can come up with. Our guys can play the 43, 34, drop back in coverage, rush the passer, get off blocks, you name it. Granted the 34 is built for the LB's to be the main playmakers so you expect them to succeed however the last few years we haven't had this type of production out of them and it's nice to see it back in the forefront. The Bengal OL is HUGE so for these guys to be able to get the consistent pressure they did this week is pretty impressive regadless of Cincy's record.

They'll get a stiff test next week though because the Giants are known around the league as having one of the best OL's period so Im anxious to see what kind of pressure they can get.

SteelerNC
10-19-2008, 08:43 PM
Absolutely!!!

Stlrs4Life
10-19-2008, 09:05 PM
By far the best in the NFL.

Black@Gold Forever32
10-19-2008, 09:06 PM
I would put our 4 starting LB's up against any group in the league, include Timmons in there as well. 43 linebackers are different types of play makers but in this league most every team deploys some sort of 34 and 43 mix on any given week along with cover 2 and what ever you can come up with. Our guys can play the 43, 34, drop back in coverage, rush the passer, get off blocks, you name it. Granted the 34 is built for the LB's to be the main playmakers so you expect them to succeed however the last few years we haven't had this type of production out of them and it's nice to see it back in the forefront. The Bengal OL is HUGE so for these guys to be able to get the consistent pressure they did this week is pretty impressive regadless of Cincy's record.

They'll get a stiff test next week though because the Giants are known around the league as having one of the best OL's period so Im anxious to see what kind of pressure they can get.

I just don't know how you can compare 3-4 LBs to 4-3 LBs accurately......I love our current core and think they're the best 3-4 LB core in the NFL and one of the best that have had in some time....I also like and prefer the 3-4 over the 4-3......When you have the right athletes to run the 3-4 to its max potential there isn't a better defense to run in the NFL......

Silverback 92
10-19-2008, 09:41 PM
best by far

Iron City South
10-19-2008, 09:57 PM
These guys can be scary good.

Having said that, both Harrison and Woodley aren't the best against teams using a quick 3 step drop and quick passing game. Many times they'll over pursue the QB and allow the open lane into the flats.