PDA

View Full Version : Big Sweed to make NFL debut

SteelersWoman
10-19-2008, 04:46 AM
http://blog.pennlive.com/patriotnewssports/2008/10/big_sweed_to_make_nfl_debut.html

Posted by The Associated Press (http://blog.pennlive.com/patriotnewssports/about.html) October 17, 2008 16:23PM

Sweed, a second-round draft pick in April out of Texas, is expected to play in his first NFL regular-season game Sunday in Cincinnati. Sweed dressed for only one of Pittsburgh's first five games, and didn't play in any.

With backup receiver Dallas Baker injured, Sweed finally fits into the Steelers' rotation. His debut, weeks later than expected, was substantially delayed as Sweed went through the adjustments all NFL rookies must make.

"He's come a long way," said Roethlisberger, who asked the front office for a tall receiver at the end of last season. "It's hard because you don't get a lot of work in practice with me because I've got to work with the other guys (the starters). I'm sure if he gets a chance, he'll do just great."

Sweed wonders if the fans who questioned why he hasn't contributed to the offense understand that breaking into the league as a receiver is nearly as difficult and complex as it is for a quarterback.

"A receiver is just like a quarterback in a sense," Sweed said. "He has to make so many reads on the run, and that enables him and the quarterback to be on the same page. So it just takes time and I understand that. I'm very patient and when my opportunity comes, I'm going to step in and make the best of it."

The 6-foot-4, 220-pound Sweed's 20 touchdown catches were second in school history at Texas, and his 12 scores in 2006 tied a single-season record. That was college ball, and Sweed said the complexities of the NFL are greater than many might realize.

Also, MeMo to play again, Willie definitely not playing:

http://www.edmontonsun.com/Sports/Football/2008/10/18/7128416-sun.html

SteelstanD
10-19-2008, 08:33 AM
http://static.nfl.com/static/content/catch_all/nfl_image/combine/headshots/322.jpg
Some may not know this, but Limas Sweed had a wrist injury his last season at unvi. of Texas and before he got drafted, he claimed that the wrist was 100% healed, but most teams didn't buy it, so he dropped in the first and landed to us in the second round. I think he very well knew his wrist wasn't healed 100%, but he said that just so he wouldn't drop on the draft boards. Well he paid for it, He dropped a lot of balls in practice and in the preseason, that made him not see the field this season (only the jags game) and he was listed on the depth chart as our 5th wide out. but now after that time on the bench i really think his wrist is finally 100% healed. if you watch his college highlights 2005 and 2006 season, he was unstoppable, he has the the speed and height to be a big Ben go-to-guy for both of the rest of there careers.

What i notice about Limas Sweed game play is you cannot leave him one on one with a single Db because if he doesn't burn you then he will just catch the ball over you and embarrassed you. We went 15-1 when we had Plaxico, The reason for that was because teams would put 8 in the box for Jerome Bettis and leave our wide receivers 1 on 1 and every time that happened, they got exposed. Most teams didn't have an answer for us that year and believe me soon as Limas Sweed gets into his groove, look for him and Ben Roethlisberger to be the next MONTANA TO RICE, MANNING TO HARRISON.....Yeah i said it, Limas will be a beast!!!!!

Predicted Stats Vs the Bengals---(77+ yards and 2Tds)

lloydfan4life
10-19-2008, 09:07 AM
Good post. :clap: (and welcome to the forum SteelstanD!)
I, for one, wasn't aware of that. Let's hope that's what his problem was and he'll be the beast you're predicting! GO LIMAS!! :cope:

Stairwayto7
10-19-2008, 09:08 AM
I hope your right! And it makes sense! But its all hype until he proves it on the field. I would think our FO saw something to make us grab him in the second.

Stairwayto7
10-19-2008, 09:09 AM
Problem is I don`t see Baker play that much, so how much will we see Sweed?

HUNT4SEVEN
10-19-2008, 10:24 AM
Excellent post:clap::clap: What i like about Sweed is that he doesn't wait for the ball to come to him he goes an get's it, He will be an beast when that wrist fully heals, all the film i seen on him proves he will be an beast when he's healthy:yellowthumb:an Welcome aboard my friend:tt02::yellowthumb:

yinzer
10-19-2008, 10:24 AM

good point. baker is hurt anyway.

HUNT4SEVEN
10-19-2008, 10:33 AM
True, i just hope they go to four wides more this game just to give him some chances.:tt02::helmet:

DIESELMAN
10-19-2008, 11:15 AM
When we get a good lead, I think would be a good time to try and involve Sweed if he hasn't already been included in the game plan.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-19-2008, 11:17 AM

Baker has been hampered by an injury so that has slowed him down and up to this point we needed more depth at DL and RB so that took away a roster spot on game day for Sweed too. He dressed for the Jags game but didn't play so hopefully he might be able to get a few looks today.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-19-2008, 05:46 PM
Sweed caught a pass today and held onto to it in traffic which is a good sign and hopefully will really fuel his confidence and lead to bigger and better things.

K Train
10-19-2008, 06:17 PM
lol it was a sweet catch for what it is worth

Stairwayto7
10-19-2008, 09:14 PM
At least he has one in the books. Then it was funny when they took him out, and he was bummed