PDA

View Full Version : Ward gets explanation

jpele
10-17-2008, 09:09 AM
Hines Ward got his letter of explanation on why he was fined but was not penalized in the game against the Jaguars. League officials explained that he taunted Jacksonville cornerback Rashean Mathis by slapping him on the side of his helmet.

Link (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08291/920647-66.stm?cmpid=steelers.xml)

Now can someone explain to me,how this translates into an unnecessary roughness call ?

ejsteeler
10-17-2008, 09:12 AM
I was just going to post this....I am livid! That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard! He slapped him on the side of the helmet and gets hit for $5k!!!!! Give me a fu***ng break!!!! He was probably joking with him!!! The commish needs to go, PERIOD! He sucks and he is ruining the game. Get rid of the thugs like MS PACMAN and let the real men play the game.
Stepping off my soap box now......

NOVA STEELERS
10-17-2008, 10:28 AM
Hines Ward got his letter of explanation on why he was fined but was not penalized in the game against the Jaguars. League officials explained that he taunted Jacksonville cornerback Rashean Mathis by slapping him on the side of his helmet.

:scratch: :wtf: is this :question-1: I am in total disbelief at this :willybs: :willybs: I hope the Organization responds with a :bigfinger: to the league office saying enough already, this is the NFL not the WNBA :evilshake:

HUNT4SEVEN
10-17-2008, 11:32 AM
He was fined for an slap on the helmet? WTF is this league coming to? this make no sense at all:evilshake: N.F.L the No Fun League:cursin:.

AZ_Steeler
10-17-2008, 11:48 AM
Next week the whole team will get a fine for slapping their own player on the helmet after scoring a touchdown.... just watch!!!

Players slap other players on the head all the time ... it's kind of been the thing lately :dunno: If they are slapping Ward for this one then they need to be consistent and slap a fine on everyone else who touches another players head!

memphissteelergirl
10-17-2008, 12:28 PM
:bsflag:

BlitzburghRockCity
10-17-2008, 01:38 PM
This just shows the league really has no handle on this..if you don't call this on the field how you justify sending out a fine for it. I understand there are times when that happens with late hits, helmet to helmet contact, etc. that the officials don't see..but this was a slap on the helmet that was probably totally harmless but all they see is the act and think it's him being an ***.

If the other team doesn't question the league on it then why waste your time on something so trivial and stupid.

The No Fun League strikes again!

SteelerNC
10-17-2008, 02:54 PM
How many players have been fined for all the late hits on Big Ben this season that weren't called? I'm guessing zero. The NFL needs to look at their policies and interpretations of their rules. Anyway, go Steelers and kill the Bungals.:cope:

Dean Denton
10-17-2008, 03:31 PM
Really, thats the best they could do? Sorry, I know thats a bunch of BS. The league slapped him with a fine because of the interview he did, when he said that he knows hes not a dirty player because he has never been fined. So, the league decided to try and do something no Defense has ever been able to do, and thats wipe that smile off his face. Whatever...Haters....

--- Added 10/17/2008 at 02:31 PM ---

How many players have been fined for all the late hits on Big Ben this season that weren't called? I'm guessing zero. The NFL needs to look at their policies and interpretations of their rules. Anyway, go Steelers and kill the Bungals.:cope:
Where did you get that Avitar? Yikes....

Preacher
10-17-2008, 03:35 PM
I have a feeling they were fining him based on something they THOUGHT they saw.. .then when challenged, realized it wasn''t there and had to come up with SOMETHING.

I just can't believe that the league is THAT stupid.

Gettysburgh_Steel
10-17-2008, 09:45 PM
They essentially have thier own interpretation of how the game should be played. Guess you just plant a guy in the ground,pull him out,shake his hand,and say ,"sorry man,i'm just tryin to win this game !". Now that's stupid! Why not start giving some fines out for players slapping others on thier rear-end after a play is made? What a joke!:tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02:

BlitzburghNation
10-17-2008, 09:52 PM
Really been discussing ths topic alot on sirius,,,,,,,,,Wonder how many STEELERS will get fined this week :scratch: for playing old school football ,"the way it supposed to be played"

Love to see some interviews of some old players and here there opinion of all this http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s202/smostle/smileys/pileofsteamingshxt01.gif

dawgs
10-18-2008, 12:35 AM
It would depend how hard the slap is. Most players tap each other meaning nice job, nice try, get them next time etc....

Don't fines go to charities away?

But I do feel really bad for hines ward. With him having to pay this fine he won't be able to afford gas for his 7:tomcat:

Stairwayto7
10-18-2008, 09:11 AM
Mark Schelerth even sid on ESPN, the NFL is out of hand with these fines. Fans want to see the big hits. He even mentioned the NFL being hypocrites, the fine the big hitters, yet in his words " They sell videos of the best hits in the NFL on thier web site, and half would have been or were fined" Where is the sense in that, screw Goodell, he is making this flag football

dawgs
10-18-2008, 09:39 AM
Mark Schelerth even sid on ESPN, the NFL is out of hand with these fines. Fans want to see the big hits. He even mentioned the NFL being hypocrites, the fine the big hitters, yet in his words " They sell videos of the best hits in the NFL on thier web site, and half would have been or were fined" Where is the sense in that, screw Goodell, he is making this flag football

why are so many guys hurt if this is flag football?

BlitzburghRockCity
10-18-2008, 09:57 AM
I have a feeling they were fining him based on something they THOUGHT they saw.. .then when challenged, realized it wasn''t there and had to come up with SOMETHING.

I just can't believe that the league is THAT stupid.

There's no other logical explanation than that, and that's the ridiculous thing. They fine him for something that happened in the past when nobody knows the circumstances surrounding it or what was even said if anything so they just make something up..it's ludicrous!

Stairwayto7
10-18-2008, 10:08 AM
why are so many guys hurt if this is flag football?

C`mon. Its obvious! Players are faster, bigger, and stronger than ever. So the speed alone will make the hits harder. Its football. Real men use to play without helmets. Its a contact sport, injuries should be expected. They suck, when our players get hurt, it sucks. But I expect the injuries. These players train year round, to be faster and stronger. They are coached to hit, and to hit hard. Once again, you are trained to seperate the player from the ball. And play to the whistle.

--- Added 10/18/2008 at 09:08 AM ---

These official who are throwing out the fines, have no clue to the speed of the game. They see it, but they aren`t in it. You have a player in your sights, at full speed, both players, you unleash he moves just slightly left , right, up, down, whatever, and it an illegal hit, FINE!

Iron City South
10-18-2008, 10:28 AM
Polamalu's comments on the NFL turning this game into pussified watered down version of flag football are spot on ....

This isn't the game I grew up with ....:evilshake:

dawgs
10-18-2008, 11:03 PM
Well its all about safety. Guys are bigger, stronger faster thats why helemts and alot more rules have been added.

If u don't like the game then stop watching.

Stairwayto7
10-19-2008, 07:57 AM
Well its all about safety. Guys are bigger, stronger faster thats why helemts and alot more rules have been added.

If u don't like the game then stop watching.

Are you that stupid?? We do like the game, or we wouldn`t be here! We waste our breathe trying to explain the entire game to you.

$teelersRule
10-19-2008, 11:41 AM
Are you that stupid?? We do like the game, or we wouldn`t be here! We waste our breathe trying to explain the entire game to you.

no, give him some credit. i think he is smart enough to realize that these pussy rules are going to help his team because they are all just a bunch of bitches. plus they dont even get called or fined on any of the dirty hits they do make (rodgers) i think the NFL feels bad for their fans because the Browns have sucked so much dick for so long.

dawgs
10-19-2008, 03:01 PM
resulting in foul language once again to make yourself feel smart and big.

the rules are fine, get over it. The fines hurt nobody. The NFL just wants to be safe, and respectful to a point. no big deal.

yes the NFL does want to be safe. Because if stars go down, less people will watch.

TEEMONT
10-19-2008, 05:15 PM
resulting in foul language once again to make yourself feel smart and big.

the rules are fine, get over it. The fines hurt nobody. The NFL just wants to be safe, and respectful to a point. no big deal.

yes the NFL does want to be safe. Because if stars go down, less people will watch.

do you mean "resorting to" foul language?

easy on the huffing there dude.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-19-2008, 05:19 PM
Troy dished out a huge hit today and ended up leaving the game with what is right now a mild concussion as far as we know at this point. Troy plays to win and he goes 100% all the time just like everybody else on the team and that's how it should be. Kind of ironic he was just calling out the NFL on the pansy issue and then he goes down today but I can guarantee you this much, you won't see him cry about it and whine about how he plays regardless of if anything else comes of it or not.