PDA

View Full Version : Steelers after the bye

Gettysburgh_Steel
10-08-2008, 10:44 PM
I think that Mike has done a good job of stocking our team with players that can step it up if need be. He seems to have kept the film on us short ,and i commend him for that. Teams only got a quick glance at Mewelde ,and what he can bring to the table. He had lineman on both sides of the ball that stepped forward. Now after the bye we will be a lot more healthy,and we start off with the bungles. How do they prepare for us? The meat of our schedule is coming up too.If we can get by the bungles without showing too much either,i hate to tell ya,but the play book might just come open.Looking for thoughts on this Steeler Nation.:tt02:

Black@Gold Forever32
10-08-2008, 11:21 PM
I think that Mike has done a good job of stocking our team with players that can step it up if need be. He seems to have kept the film on us short ,and i commend him for that. Teams only got a quick glance at Mewelde ,and what he can bring to the table. He had lineman on both sides of the ball that stepped forward. Now after the bye we will be a lot more healthy,and we start off with the bungles. How do they prepare for us? The meat of our schedule is coming up too.If we can get by the bungles without showing too much either,i hate to tell ya,but the play book might just come open.Looking for thoughts on this Steeler Nation.:tt02:

Mewelde Moore was a good player before signing with the Steelers.....Teams have had film on him the last few years and knew what he can do as a player....In 2005 with the Vikings Moore had over 1000 yards with his combined rushing and receiving yards...That is why me and some others on this site were happy when he was signed...But Mike Tomlin didn't hide Moore from any team in the NFL...lol He was a proven already.....Now the signing of Moore should be praised....

As for the play book to be opened up....We're using the same play book as last year when Bruce Arians revamped the whole offense and play book.....So I doubt there is anything new or anything that will surprise teams....

As for Dick LeBeau....He has been a coach in the NFL for a long time and invented the zone blitz so I'm sure teams have seen what Coach LeBeau will throw at them...Sure Coach LeBeau is a defensive genius and always adds a wrinkle here in there when he gets young talented player like Woodley and Timmons....But there won't whole lot of new stuff from the D either...

Bottom what it comes down to after the bye is the players execution and preparation the by coaches to put the players in the best position to execute....Which I question at times by Coach Tomlin and Bruce Arians (especially on the road).......Now the win in Jacksonville was a step in the right derection.....I think that was Coach Tomlin's most impressive win as a HC so far in his young career.....But I'm far from convinced....

Plus healthy will always play a factor...So I'm knocking on wood, praying to the football gods, rubbing my lucky Steelers charm that no more serious injuries take place to this team.....

MOTORKRAFT
10-08-2008, 11:22 PM

:cope: Coach Tomlin has done nothing in the draft (or stocking players) that impresses me. His use of rookies to this point is pathetic. Coach Tomlin relies on his cordinators to make the calls. He didn't make the O move Ben did. Dick L. does the D. So far Coach Tomlin is nothing more that a good spokesman.:tt02:

Gettysburgh_Steel
10-08-2008, 11:38 PM
I ask for the thoughts from the Steeler Nation. I'm bracing myself for some of the responses.Keep it up keepers of the Steel. What kind of footage do other teams have on us, for the second segment of the season now.After the bye what are they gonna prepare for? Run? Pass? Screens we haven't seen for so long? Shovel pass? Both? I ask many times when we had a blocked punt or fieldgoal. So far i have not gotten an answer. I hope special teams take it to the next level after the bye.:tt02:

Black@Gold Forever32
10-08-2008, 11:40 PM
:cope: Coach Tomlin has done nothing in the draft (or stocking players) that impresses me. His use of rookies to this point is pathetic. Coach Tomlin relies on his cordinators to make the calls. He didn't make the O move Ben did. Dick L. does the D. So far Coach Tomlin is nothing more that a good spokesman.:tt02:

Good post and I agree.....His use of rookies has been a joke.....His first round pick from last year still isn't starting and that was his guy last draft....Which by what I have seen from Timmons this year in brief he needs to start....I think Foote has played well but Timmons can blitz and cover...His speed would be a great help to an already very good defense.....

Thank God for Woodley since that is the only player in Tomlins first two drafts that is contributing in a major way....

Matt Spaeth and William Gay are good role players......But Spaeth really hasn't improved at all and I havn't been impressed with his blocking so far this year.....I did think Daniel Sepulveda would have a very good year punting the ball this year....But a torn ACL ruined that....

So from Tomlin's first draft class we do have one starting LB and another potential starting LB....Then a backup TE and backup corner that could be a solid nickel corner one day....Plus a starting punter....

I think that was a good draft but Timmons and Woodley will save that draft from being terrible...

As for this years draft class....A bunch of unknowns so far.....You can't blame them for taking Mendenhall and Sweed....That was great value....But Mendenhall rookie season was cut short due to injury but at the same time he didn't impress much in pre-season or the short time he played in the regluar season...

Limas Sweed who knows what to think of him....But I will say this he needs to play...Only way he improves as a player...You can't tell me Dallas Baker has been that more impressive or that much better of a player at this point...

Bruce Davis the third round needs another seasons to bulk up some and is playing on the kick coverage teams...So give him some time...He could be Clark Haggans type player one day...Very good backup that became a starter that should have stayed a backup...But depth is needed...

Hills, Dixon, Humpel and Mundy were the rest from this year....Humpel and Mundy were cut....Both probably will always be practice squad fodder.....Hills will never be an elite OT....My hope is a solid RT one day....Dixon still question that pick but grooming a backup QB is important....

This class desereves more time...Hopefully Mendenhall and Sweed develop from saving this class......One point to make here.....Keven Colbert deserves as much of the blame or even more for these drafts to.....I think its time for Colbert to go....The second day of his drafts have been terrible the last 5 drafts.....

Gettysburgh_Steel
10-08-2008, 11:45 PM
Mewelde Moore was a good player before signing with the Steelers.....Teams have had film on him the last few years and knew what he can do as a player....In 2005 with the Vikings Moore had over 1000 yards with his combined rushing and receiving yards...That is why me and some others on this site were happy when he was signed...But Mike Tomlin didn't hide Moore from any team in the NFL...lol He was a proven already.....Now the signing of Moore should be praised....

As for the play book to be opened up....We're using the same play book as last year when Bruce Arians revamped the whole offense and play book.....So I doubt there is anything new or anything that will surprise teams....

As for Dick LeBeau....He has been a coach in the NFL for a long time and invented the zone blitz so I'm sure teams have seen what Coach LeBeau will throw at them...Sure Coach LeBeau is a defensive genius and always adds a wrinkle here in there when he gets young talented player like Woodley and Timmons....But there won't whole lot of new stuff from the D either...

Bottom what it comes down to after the bye is the players execution and preparation the by coaches to put the players in the best position to execute....Which I question at times by Coach Tomlin and Bruce Arians (especially on the road).......Now the win in Jacksonville was a step in the right derection.....I think that was Coach Tomlin's most impressive win as a HC so far in his young career.....But I'm far from convinced....

Plus healthy will always play a factor...So I'm knocking on wood, praying to the football gods, rubbing my lucky Steelers charm that no more serious injuries take place to this team.....

I agree they had footage from another team. Not with us though. He was in the first 3 or 4 games but was not used. Tell me i'm lying. He was utilized the last game pretty effectivly. How do you gameplan for that once willie is back?

BlitzburghRockCity
10-08-2008, 11:51 PM
Now is not the time to hold back any longer if they are indeed doing that. This team has a full arsenal of weapons at it's disposal on both sides of the ball and they need to start bringing it for 60 minutes of every game. We need to dictate how we're going to play on offense and let Ben do more of the same from here on out.

Traditionally Ben struggles alittle bit as I recall after bye weeks, the team seems to come out alittle flat in the first half then it's a race to see if they can recover before the gun sounds at the end of the game. This is a test for Tomlin to have this team ready to go and hopefully we're as healthy as can be heading into the stretch because we're going to need every guy on our roster to see this through.

Black@Gold Forever32
10-08-2008, 11:51 PM
I agree they had footage from another team. Not with us though. He was in the first 3 or 4 games but was not used. Tell me i'm lying. He was utilized the last game pretty effectivly. How do you gameplan for that once willie is back?

Yes Moore was used in a effective role but I'm not surprised...The guy is a proven solid football player....The signing of Moore was a very good signing and even more important now with Mendenhall lost for the year......

Game plan for Moore? Are you asking how Arians/Tomlin are going to use Moore in the game plan?...Or how defenses are going to game plan for Moore?...Or both?

Gettysburgh_Steel
10-09-2008, 12:04 AM
Yes Moore was used in a effective role but I'm not surprised...The guy is a proven solid football player....The signing of Moore was a very good signing and even more important now with Mendenhall lost for the year......

Game plan for Moore? Are you asking how Arians/Tomlin are going to use Moore in the game plan?...Or how defenses are going to game plan for Moore?...Or both?

Maybe both if we bring out all of our weopens after the bye. Not only how are teams going to prepare for us.......but how can we use these guys that we have not used them thus far.

------------------------------------------------------------
[AutoMerged Post Below]
Still have not heard when the last time special teams blocked a punt or a field goal. After the bye i look for st's to make a leap. Somebody please tell me!!!Please?

JB 67
10-09-2008, 01:13 AM
:cope: Coach Tomlin has done nothing in the draft (or stocking players) that impresses me. His use of rookies to this point is pathetic. Coach Tomlin relies on his cordinators to make the calls. He didn't make the O move Ben did. Dick L. does the D. So far Coach Tomlin is nothing more that a good spokesman.:tt02: you give Tomlin way too little credit..I think he's doing a fine job as a coach,What do you want him to do jump in and tell the Rooney's to spend more money on the O-line?

Gettysburgh_Steel
10-09-2008, 02:02 AM
you give Tomlin way too little credit..I think he's doing a fine job as a coach,What do you want him to do jump in and tell the Rooney's to spend more money on the O-line?

I'm sure when Mike went in for his inteview, they went over all of that. They had to of had. Get real. Bill came in and we had a running offense.He tried to change that when he took Ben.We still have Ben,but we were built up for the run.Hence our o-line now. They were not built for pass protecting,but they still have some promise in the new guys.Not to mention that the bus has since retired. We selected max because he could block down field,not because he could pass-protect.Like it or not some of our problems stem from the switch from run,to pass orientation that Cower started. He won us a super bowl, but Tomlinater inherited the leftovers. He is in charge now and must own up, or not. I think he will. I might live on the outskirts of Pittsburgh, but i have been a fan since 1973. The whole organization knows what it takes to win. We have the history to back us up on that. Thats why we are proud like we are. We never one time that i recall turned on our team. Well,besides Todd Blackledge.Maybe Mark Malone, or Clff Stoudt. Mike has not yet had a chance to put his mark on our team just yet.I like his pedigre,and we should get behind him.He knows what we expect. He is learning also,and he preaches to his players that the 2nd year is the turn around period. I believe in Mike. He is the Tomlinater!!!!!!!!!!:tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02:

BlitzburghRockCity
10-09-2008, 02:10 PM
I would really like to see Moore involved from here on out, we barely saw him at all this year until last weekend and now everybody has seen him in action and getting him on the field in as many situation as possible is only going to make us better. For God sakes get him back there returning more kicks more too, that's a big reason why he was brought in.

Richmond Rukus
10-09-2008, 02:52 PM
you give Tomlin way too little credit..I think he's doing a fine job as a coach,What do you want him to do jump in and tell the Rooney's to spend more money on the O-line?

Not a knock on Tomlin. IMO, it is way too early to pass judgment. And I don't have a problem with him so far. But as far as addressing the OL, how about starting via the draft. I'm still trying to figure out why in the hell we picked up a LB in the 3rd, when there were seviceable lineman on the board. I can't remember everyone that was still alive, but I know at least Mike McGlynn was sitting out their. We went value in the first 2 rounds, and I had no problem with those picks, but at some point you have to address your needs as well. Particularly for a team like Pittsburgh that builds through the draft.

This is as much on Colbert as Tomlin.

[AutoMerged Post Below]
an observation after the bye. It looks like most of the tougher games, minus Washington and the Bradyless Pats, are at home. Giants, Cowboys, S.D? , Colts???? are all at home.

DBR96A
10-09-2008, 03:01 PM
Some of the criticisms in this thread astound me. First of all, who implemented the rookie quota? If a rookie is not ready to start, then he's not ready to start, period, especially if there's a player in front of him who hasn't given the coaches any reason to be benched. Furthermore, saying that Mike Tomlin's draft picks haven't been impressive is absurd. Such a discussion is premature to begin with, and besides, I'd say Lawrence Timmons, LaMarr Woodley and Daniel Sepulveda were all solid picks from the 2007 draft, and even Dallas Baker has shown some potential. And before anybody mentions Ryan McBean or Cameron Stephenson, remember Jamain Stephens, Chris Conrad, Kris Farris, Alonzo Jackson, Ricardo Colclough and Nathaniel Adibi? Those were some of Bill Cowher's picks, you know. Lastly, quit acting like nobody has attempted to improve the offensive line. In the last year and a half, the Steelers have signed Sean Mahan, drafted Cameron Stephenson, promoted Chris Kemoeatu, signed Justin Hartwig and drafted Tony Hills. It sucks that Mahan and Stephenson didn't help, but that's not because Tomlin didn't try to improve the offensive line. Not trying involves not drafting or signing anybody.

You know, for as much pride as we take in the stability and patience of our ownership, we sure as hell don't seem to value it much in our fan experience.

Troyisabeast_43
10-09-2008, 03:46 PM
Not a knock on Tomlin. IMO, it is way too early to pass judgment. And I don't have a problem with him so far. But as far as addressing the OL, how about starting via the draft. I'm still trying to figure out why in the hell we picked up a LB in the 3rd, when there were seviceable lineman on the board. I can't remember everyone that was still alive, but I know at least Mike McGlynn was sitting out their. We went value in the first 2 rounds, and I had no problem with those picks, but at some point you have to address your needs as well. Particularly for a team like Pittsburgh that builds through the draft.

This is as much on Colbert as Tomlin.

[AutoMerged Post Below]
an observation after the bye. It looks like most of the tougher games, minus Washington and the Bradyless Pats, are at home. Giants, Cowboys, S.D? , Colts???? are all at home.
After the Bengals game on the road which the Steelers should be able to take care of easily one would think, the Steelers play 6 of their final 9 games at home to finish up the year. They play stretches where they have 3 straight games in a row at home in November playing the Colts,San Diego,and Cincy 3 straight weeks at Heinz Field. They have a stretch of playing 4 out of 5 at home from November 9th all the way to December 7th when they play the Cowboys. And as I have mentioned time and time again after the Redskins game on the road on Monday night November 3rd the Steelers only will have to travel one time between November 3rd and the December 14th game at Baltimore and that will be when they travel to New England on November 30th to play the Patriots. The other thing with the Pats game is they will also have 10 days off before it as well seeing that the game before is against the Bengals here at Heinz Field on Thursday night November 20th. So even when they do have to go on the road in November they are going to get a pretty good break before they actually have to leave.

I really believe that being at home for that long of a stretch next month is really going to allow the Steelers to stay focused on the task at hand. I think they will just be able to know that most of the time they are going to be able to relax and rehab here at home and sleep in their own beds mostly every night that they are home and that is huge I think. The bottom line is if this Steelers team stays healthy especially when it comes to Ben and some other key guys on D Troy being the main one they are hands down the best team in the AFC and will be right there in terms of having a great chance to have homefield advantage and the bye week in the playoffs.

Gettysburgh_Steel
10-09-2008, 04:59 PM
I like Mikes theories,or what i percieve them to be anyway. After seeing his million dollar QB hit the ground so hard,and so often,he must be stewing now!!!!He must be thinking of ways to keep his million dollar QB from danger. There are so many ways to do that. Half a million of the ways can come from the plays you practice,and use. After thier bye i expect us to get down to the task at hand. I look for the defense and special teams to play a big part in that. We would never want to take away Ben holding on to the ball the way he does. In my belief, the coaching must adjust to the players we have. After the bye it is a whole new level. I know we can meet that challenge!!!!!!:tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02 :

Richmond Rukus
10-09-2008, 05:00 PM
Lastly, quit acting like nobody has attempted to improve the offensive line. In the last year and a half, the Steelers have signed Sean Mahan, drafted Cameron Stephenson, promoted Chris Kemoeatu, signed Justin Hartwig and drafted Tony Hills. It sucks that Mahan and Stephenson didn't help, but that's not because Tomlin didn't try to improve the offensive line. Not trying involves not drafting or signing anybody.

So do you really believe LB, a position in which we used a 1st and 2nd the previous season, was a position the Steelers needed to address, when there was starting OL talent on the board? You do know how much money we invested into our franchise QB. With that kind of money, IMO upgrading the OL should of been our 1st priority. No first day picks does not show that urgency as far as I'm concerned. Again, this is not a knock on Tomlin, it's been a while since the Steelers have spent a first day pick on the OL, hence the reason we are in this position. Other than not addressing the OL day 1, I don't have a problem with the picks Tomlin/Colbert have made.

When Alan left, someone had to be promoted, so the promotion gets little merit in my book.

ItAintEasyBeingPeazy
10-09-2008, 05:43 PM
Some of the criticisms in this thread astound me. First of all, who implemented the rookie quota? If a rookie is not ready to start, then he's not ready to start, period, especially if there's a player in front of him who hasn't given the coaches any reason to be benched. Furthermore, saying that Mike Tomlin's draft picks haven't been impressive is absurd. Such a discussion is premature to begin with, and besides, I'd say Lawrence Timmons, LaMarr Woodley and Daniel Sepulveda were all solid picks from the 2007 draft, and even Dallas Baker has shown some potential. And before anybody mentions Ryan McBean or Cameron Stephenson, remember Jamain Stephens, Chris Conrad, Kris Farris, Alonzo Jackson, Ricardo Colclough and Nathaniel Adibi? Those were some of Bill Cowher's picks, you know. Lastly, quit acting like nobody has attempted to improve the offensive line. In the last year and a half, the Steelers have signed Sean Mahan, drafted Cameron Stephenson, promoted Chris Kemoeatu, signed Justin Hartwig and drafted Tony Hills. It sucks that Mahan and Stephenson didn't help, but that's not because Tomlin didn't try to improve the offensive line. Not trying involves not drafting or signing anybody.

You know, for as much pride as we take in the stability and patience of our ownership, we sure as hell don't seem to value it much in our fan experience.

:yellowthumb: Good Post man..I agree with you 100%

lloydfan4life
10-09-2008, 07:28 PM
After the Bengals game on the road which the Steelers should be able to take care of easily one would think, the Steelers play 6 of their final 9 games at home to finish up the year. They play stretches where they have 3 straight games in a row at home in November playing the Colts,San Diego,and Cincy 3 straight weeks at Heinz Field. They have a stretch of playing 4 out of 5 at home from November 9th all the way to December 7th when they play the Cowboys. And as I have mentioned time and time again after the Redskins game on the road on Monday night November 3rd the Steelers only will have to travel one time between November 3rd and the December 14th game at Baltimore and that will be when they travel to New England on November 30th to play the Patriots. The other thing with the Pats game is they will also have 10 days off before it as well seeing that the game before is against the Bengals here at Heinz Field on Thursday night November 20th. So even when they do have to go on the road in November they are going to get a pretty good break before they actually have to leave.

I really believe that being at home for that long of a stretch next month is really going to allow the Steelers to stay focused on the task at hand. I think they will just be able to know that most of the time they are going to be able to relax and rehab here at home and sleep in their own beds mostly every night that they are home and that is huge I think. The bottom line is if this Steelers team stays healthy especially when it comes to Ben and some other key guys on D Troy being the main one they are hands down the best team in the AFC and will be right there in terms of having a great chance to have homefield advantage and the bye week in the playoffs.

Excellent post, and you make some very good points, but let's not get too far ahead of ourselves. IMO the Bengals game is not going to be a cakewalk. It's going to be even more dangerous if they are still winless when we face them. Like Top Gun said, we always seem to come off a bye playing a little flat. This game scares me a little.

BlitzburghNation
10-09-2008, 10:38 PM
Throw the records out the window on division games,,,,,,Although the bengirls have been sucking,there not as bad as there record and this game definetly concerns me ,,,,

I hope for one thing outta this bye and our team can be a contender for the Superbowl,,,,

O-Line plays better and Ben can take this team to the promise land,,,,,,, http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s202/smostle/smileys/thsteelersSB08.gif

MOTORKRAFT
10-09-2008, 11:26 PM
The Steelers should dominate the Bengals in this game. No excusses, no exceptions. This could be looked at as a trap game or a statement game. I hope the players enjoy their time off, but this game will tell me alot about the team. It should be a blow out. Put an *** whoopin on an inferior team and move on. Or play to their level and at least win. If the Steelers lose this game, be prepaired to enjoy a season that will end in a loss or a meaningless win.

Black@Gold Forever32
10-09-2008, 11:35 PM
The Steelers should dominate the Bengals in this game. No excusses, no exceptions. This could be looked at as a trap game or a statement game. I hope the players enjoy their time off, but this game will tell me alot about the team. It should be a blow out. Put an *** whoopin on an inferior team and move on. Or play to their level and at least win. If the Steelers lose this game, be prepaired to enjoy a season that will end in a loss or a meaningless win.

Nice post again and I agree again....I don't want to hear any excuses either and the Steelers better come out ready to play.....I don't want the Steelers to just pound the football either...I would like to see Ben and the passing continue their strong showing in Jacksonville and what better way to do that then against the sorry Bungles.....I hope the score is 44-13.......

Some fans what to act like this is another bye week and the Steelers can do basic things like just running the football to win this game which they can....But I say lets blow the hell out of them and let Ben and the WR's go nuts.....

Troyisabeast_43
10-09-2008, 11:40 PM

I agree with everything you say 100 percent. While the Bengals could be dangerous if they are winless next week that will still be absolutely no excuse at all for the Steelers losing to them. I just think this is a different team this year and that they are not going to overlook anybody or come out and lay an egg against these teams like the Bengals who they are suppose to beat. I'm with you as well in 100 percent when you say should the Steelers by some disaster lose to the Bengals this team is in huge huge trouble. I dont think however that will happen. Tomlin will have them ready coming off the bye week and I look for them to maybe not blow the Bengals out but definitely beat them without much of a problem at all.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-10-2008, 11:55 AM
The bengals blew their load against Dallas and still came up short..if they don't win this week they'll be desperate and those desperate kinds of teams can bite you in the *** if you aren't careful. If we let them hang around it could be bad so we need to jump on them right out of the gate and eliminate any hope of a comeback. If we can get up on them by 2 TD's going into halftime they'll probably crumble in the 2nd half.

TEEMONT
10-10-2008, 02:36 PM
Tomlin is slowly learning what it takes to be a head coach in this league. We all know that being a good coordinator does not guarantee success as a HC, just look at LeBeau. Tomlin will start to delegate to his players, instead of micro-managing like he has been, and the team will continue to get better.

As weird as it sounds, I think the inuries have actually helped the team. Simmons was a lame duck, plain and simple. He never had to fight for his job, and was going to keep it until his contract ran out. Stapleton has been playing lights out the past two weeks. More reps in practice are only going ot help him gel with the res of the line. The Max Starks saga still has me confused. Can someone please tell me why we are paying him so much?

Willie going down for a short time helped us too, IMO. He'll be back soon enough, but Tomlin and Arians both had their eye's opened that MeMo is a possible everydown back as well. He made some big plays in Jax. I like the idea of a triple-headed monster at Rb with FWP, MeMo, and Russell. It almost seems to me that the Mendenhall pick was a wasted one. I like him as a player, but I don't know if we neeed him.

I still want to see Sweed get some reps. I know they aren't giving him reps for a reason, but practice is not a game. Russell proved that. Lets see what he can do for God's sake, the dude is no slouch.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-12-2008, 09:07 PM
This is where this team separates itself from last years group. We had no depth at all virtually anywhere and it showed when we ran into injury problems on the DL, WR, and at RB. Credit Tomlin and his staff for not only picking up key FA guys but also developing our draft picks over the last 2 years to really step up and be counted on. Nobody can say we don't know what it's like to be hit with the injury bug but so far we have perservered...*knock on wood*

Black@Gold Forever32
10-12-2008, 09:24 PM
Tomlin is slowly learning what it takes to be a head coach in this league. We all know that being a good coordinator does not guarantee success as a HC, just look at LeBeau. Tomlin will start to delegate to his players, instead of micro-managing like he has been, and the team will continue to get better.

As weird as it sounds, I think the inuries have actually helped the team. Simmons was a lame duck, plain and simple. He never had to fight for his job, and was going to keep it until his contract ran out. Stapleton has been playing lights out the past two weeks. More reps in practice are only going ot help him gel with the res of the line. The Max Starks saga still has me confused. Can someone please tell me why we are paying him so much?

Willie going down for a short time helped us too, IMO. He'll be back soon enough, but Tomlin and Arians both had their eye's opened that MeMo is a possible everydown back as well. He made some big plays in Jax. I like the idea of a triple-headed monster at Rb with FWP, MeMo, and Russell. It almost seems to me that the Mendenhall pick was a wasted one. I like him as a player, but I don't know if we neeed him.

I still want to see Sweed get some reps. I know they aren't giving him reps for a reason, but practice is not a game. Russell proved that. Lets see what he can do for God's sake, the dude is no slouch.

I hope your right about Mike Tomlin....I started to have some doubts about him as a HC....The win in Jacksonville was a step in the right direction...Since the team has looked like complete **** in most road games since he has been the HC.....

I agree Simmons going down was a good thing....I freaking hate Kendall Simmons and don't miss him at all....I like what I have seen from The Stapler so far...But time will tell if he is the answer at RG....

I love the Moore signing and hyped that signing during the off-season...No shock here on what kind of player Moore is....Gary Russell was a bad *** in college (18 TDs during the 2005 season)....He would have been drafted if he hadn't been a complete dumb *** in college.....I'm all for seeing if Russell can cut it in the NFL...I had some hopes for him last year when made the team as an undrafted FA.....Don't count out Mendenhall yet....I think he show us next year what king of player he can be....

I just mentioned last week why Sweed isn't at least seeing some reps as the 4th WR during game days.....You can't tell me that Dallas Baker is that much better of player then Limas Sweed at this point...Plus we spent a 2nd round pick on Sweed....Limas should be dressing and playing during game day...Best way for Sweed to improve is in live NFL action on game day....

But this one of my complaints about Mike Tomlin he isn't playing some of the young players enough.....Hell our first round pick from last year isn't starting and in his limited time this year Timmons has shown that he can start....I like Larry Foote and he is solid football player....Plus he has played well this year...But he doesn't have the explosiveness that Lawrence Timmons has....I'm probably nit picking since the defense has played so well but Timmons can blitz and cover.....He really could add so much to one of the best defenses in the NFL....

Troyisabeast_43
10-13-2008, 01:22 AM
I hope your right about Mike Tomlin....I started to have some doubts about him as a HC....The win in Jacksonville was a step in the right direction...Since the team has looked like complete shiat in most road games since he has been the HC.....

I agree Simmons going down was a good thing....I freaking hate Kendall Simmons and don't miss him at all....I like what I have seen from The Stapler so far...But time will tell if he is the answer at RG....

I love the Moore signing and hyped that signing during the off-season...No shock here on what kind of player Moore is....Gary Russell was a bad *** in college (18 TDs during the 2005 season)....He would have been drafted if he hadn't been a complete dumb *** in college.....I'm all for seeing if Russell can cut it in the NFL...I had some hopes for him last year when made the team as an undrafted FA.....Don't count out Mendenhall yet....I think he show us next year what king of player he can be....

I just mentioned last week why Sweed isn't at least seeing some reps as the 4th WR during game days.....You can't tell me that Dallas Baker is that much better of player then Limas Sweed at this point...Plus we spent a 2nd round pick on Sweed....Limas should be dressing and playing during game day...Best way for Sweed to improve is in live NFL action on game day....

But this one of my complaints about Mike Tomlin he isn't playing some of the young players enough.....Hell our first round pick from last year isn't starting and in his limited time this year Timmons has shown that he can start....I like Larry Foote and he is solid football player....Plus he has played well this year...But he doesn't have the explosiveness that Lawrence Timmons has....I'm probably nit picking since the defense has played so well but Timmons can blitz and cover.....He really could add so much to one of the best defenses in the NFL....

I completely agree with you on Timmons and Sweed 100 percent and then some. Timmons adds so much more to this already awesome defense, and if he is starting and in on every play with the likes of Harrison and Woodley as well as both of them are playing now this defense can be really really good. As for Sweed I have been screaming this for weeks here about how he should be dressing over Baker or whoever, and at least getting into the game on 3rd down and 4 wide sets. As you said and I said as well 32 you used a 2nd round pick on the guy, it's time to play him and develop him some and see what he can do. Sweed will not become a better receiver practicing on the South Side every week and not dressing come gameday.

SteelersWoman
10-14-2008, 06:07 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08287/919598-66.stm

Monday, October 13, 2008
By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/images/200810/20081006pd_steelers1005i_500.jpg
Peter Diana / Post-Gazette
Steelers coach Mike Tomlin celebrates after beating the Jaguars Oct. 5 at Jacksonville Municipal Stadium in Jacksonville, Fla.

It's not surprising the Steelers are 4-1 and already have a two-game lead in the AFC North Division. After all, they don't really enter the brutal part of what is the NFL's toughest schedule until the Super Bowl champion New York Giants come to town in two weeks.

But, when they report back to work today after having four days off because of an open date in their schedule, the Steelers should not be surprised as much as they should be thrilled with their position.

Consider: They have managed to post the second-best record in the league with injuries to at least five starters, an offensive line that has been ineffective at best and confused at worst, and a sore-armed quarterback who has been banged up and banged around.

"Looking at the total picture, you couldn't ask for a better situation to be in," inside linebacker James Farrior said. "To be 4-1 with all the injuries we have, things are going good right now. We have to keep it together."

The Steelers have a chance to get four of their starters back and continue their good start when they resume play Sunday in Cincinnati, where they have won their past seven games. One of those expected to return is Pro Bowl running back Willie Parker, who has missed the past two games with a sprained knee.

Yet, even without Parker and four other starters, the Steelers were dominant in their 26-21 victory in Jacksonville, Fla., outgaining the Jaguars in the first half, 300-49, and holding them to 14 first downs and 38 yards rushing.
How do they manage to do it?

"It's testament to the character of this team and the players we have waiting to come in and play," said defensive end Brett Keisel, who will return against the winless Bengals (0-6) after missing three games with a calf injury. "When they get their opportunity and they come in and play and we win, it says something about this team."

"It shows the dedication and preparation every player on this team has, no matter if they're a starter or a backup," outside linebacker James Harrison said. "If a starter does go down, you got a guy who can come in and play to that level, if not better, on some occasions."

One of those is nose tackle Chris Hoke, who has started the past two games for injured Pro Bowl nose tackle Casey Hampton (groin). In both games he played, Hoke was double-teamed in much the same manner the Jaguars and Baltimore Ravens would have double-teamed Hampton.

The Jaguars coaches conceded after watching film on the game that their inability to block Hoke, an eight-year veteran, was one of the reasons their running game struggled.

"The depth is probably as good as I've seen it," said Farrior, an 11-year veteran. "We have a lot of guys who can come in, we've already seen guys come in and take over starting roles and excel. I feel like this is one of the best, as far as depth, that we've had around here."

But it wasn't just Hoke.

After already playing without Keisel, the defensive line also lost backup Nick Eason (groin), forcing Orpheus Roye, 36, to be part of the rotation against the Jaguars.
Offensively, the Steelers were playing without Parker, guard Kendell Simmons (torn Achilles/injured reserve), fullback Carey Davis (ankle sprain) and rookie running back Rashard Mendenhall (broken scapula/injured reserve). In the second half, they also lost left tackle Marvel Smith because of cramps, forcing Trai Essex into the game.

And yet the Steelers finished with 129 yards rushing on 26 carries -- statistically, their second-best performance of the season; but, given their injuries, likely their most impressive. Mewelde Moore had 99 yards on 17 carries and combined with Gary Russell to produce three runs of 15 yards or longer -- one more than they had in the first four games combined.

"It's the expectation we have -- you don't drop when you go in there," said inside linebacker Larry Foote. "It's just contagious around here because of the way we are, the way we play. No matter how much money you make, when your number is called we're going to look for you to play."

The Steelers have done that, and find themselves in an enviable position -- at least for now -- because of it.

"Any time you have starters down and you're able to go in there and do well and get your guys back without having too much damage done to your record, it's good," Harrison said.

NOVA STEELERS
10-14-2008, 12:14 PM
Inside Slant

Pittsburgh, at 4-1, has a two-game lead in the AFC North Division as the Steelers head to winless Cincinnati on Sunday.

The Bengals and Steelers were developing one of the more hotly contested rivalries in the league in 2005, but it quickly fizzled out as Cincinnati went into the dumper.

There’s plenty of animosity left, but the most important thing confronting the Steelers this week is not to look beyond the Bengals.

After they play at Cincinnati, where they have won seven straight, they play a grueling four-game stretch that starts with the New York Giants on Oct. 26. Then it’s off to Washington before home dates against Indianapolis and San Diego.

The good news for the Steelers is they play four of five at home after their trip to Cincinnati.

The Steelers won their past two games without some key injured starters who should return this Sunday—halfback Willie Parker (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/7073/;_ylt=ApuVR6EiaxhMQZOlPH6OQ6_srZJ4), defensive end Brett Keisel (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/6101/;_ylt=AjMHDZbuE9etEIEJIApPV3PsrZJ4), nose tackle Casey Hampton (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/5466/;_ylt=Aql5SaVheq5sRWH3DJnEMjPsrZJ4) and fullback Carey Davis (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/7078/;_ylt=AtPgl_NF_1NLz6KgstO0M.7srZJ4).

“Any time you have starters down and you’re able to go in there and do well and get your guys back without having too much damage done to your record, it’s good,” linebacker James Harrison (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/6314/;_ylt=Arr7xDbykCot3ZJsYYGQe_LsrZJ4) said.

Their past bye weekend came at an opportune time for Pittsburgh. Also expected back is left tackle Marvel Smith (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/5067/;_ylt=AnUc7LScgxvZgT6R5yseXMfsrZJ4), who left the last game in the fourth quarter with cramps.

Notes, Quotes

• WR Limas Sweed (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/8830/;_ylt=AoBM0OHfhuxKyVMZFimLOVbsrZJ4), a second-round draft choice, still has not played in a game and has dressed for only one of them. He preaches patience.

“Just tell ‘em patience is a virtue,” Sweed said. “I’m playing behind some guys on fire right now. It’s their time right now, and I’m the younger guy. My time is coming.”

• The Steelers say they are not concerned that they’ve had no rushing touchdowns in their past four games.

“It’s too early for that,” WR Hines Ward (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/4323/;_ylt=AjfmfrpruV458urkdGJNgSbsrZJ4) said. “It’s not a concern for us. We’re calling plays down there and scoring TDs in other areas.”

Strategy And Personnel

PLAYER NOTES

• RB Willie Parker went through his first practice Monday since he sprained the MCL in his left knee Sept. 29. He said he’s ready to resume play in Cincinnati on Sunday.

• QB Ben Roethlisberger (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/6770/;_ylt=Agi51G9F0Z8gU9uWjHz_W6XsrZJ4), who missed both practices in the bye week, returned and went through a full practice Monday.

• K Jeff Reed (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/6290/;_ylt=AtWdH3ijnY1o2HyBorR1MGvsrZJ4), who came down with a calf injury in the Oct. 5 game against Jacksonville, did not practice Monday but said he will kick Wednesday and that he feels good.

• NT Casey Hampton (groin) did not practice Monday. He missed the past two games but is expected to return this week.

• LT Marvel Smith, who left in the fourth quarter vs. Jacksonville with cramps, did not practice Monday. He is expected back this week.

REPORT CARD AFTER 5 GAMES

Passing Offense: B—The Steelers still do not throw much, so they don’t accumulate much yardage and won’t be ranked high in the league based on that. However, when they do throw, they’re good at it. QB Ben Roethlisberger has completed 63.7 percent of his passes, has a 95.7 rating and thrown seven TDs vs. three interceptions. The biggest problem is he’s been sacked 18 times.

Rushing Offense: B—The team has been able to maintain after the loss of RB Willie Parker and RB Rashard Mendenhall (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/8800/;_ylt=AhsdSyj5eIYdtJ.UcXXal8PsrZJ4), who is out for the season. The Steelers have only three rushing TDs, but Mewelde Moore (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/6878/;_ylt=AvKNR1s.Mq9kTlXk.tUA9prsrZJ4) ran for 99 yards in a victory at Jacksonville in the last game, and Parker and FB Carey Davis return this week. Parker was second in the AFC when his knee was sprained in the third game.

Pass Defense: B-plus—The Steelers are off to a good pace with 18 sacks, half of their total from all of last season. Opposing quarterbacks have a 71.2 passer rating and have thrown just four TD passes while getting intercepted four times, three times by Troy Polamalu (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/6352/;_ylt=AquojF4SAa8Hoyz9w5ncwtTsrZJ4). Their average per attempt is just 5.87, and their longest completion is 35 yards.

Rush Defense: A—The Steelers continue to do a great job against the run, even with Pro Bowl NT Casey Hampton out the past two games and DE Brett Keisel out of the past three. They’ve permitted only 2.8 yards per rush, three touchdowns and a long run of 14 yards in their 334-yard total against them in five games. Hampton and Keisel return this week, which should boost that effort.

Special Teams: B—Jeff Reed is a perfect 9-for-9 on field-goal attempts, and their coverage teams have improved immensely since last season. They’ve allowed just 3.8 yards per punt return and 20.1 on kickoff returns, with no touchdowns. Conversely, they have no returns of their own to speak of with a 3.8-yard average on punts and 19.6 on kickoffs. Veteran P Mitch Berger (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/2861/;_ylt=AofDuAzPO3pnNOHtmOqkwDLsrZJ4), picked up this summer when Daniel Sepulveda (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/8366/;_ylt=AmgrD9akVu2jEmUvL68RHYLsrZJ4) was lost with a torn ACL, has been inconsistent, although 10 of his 25 punts have wound up inside the 20.

Coaching: B—Except for some terrible offensive strategy during their only loss to Philadelphia, Mike Tomlin and his staff have done a good job. Their best came when the Steelers upset the Jaguars in Jacksonville despite having a handful of starters sidelined. “It shows the dedication and preparation every player on this team has, no matter if they’re a starter or a backup,” LB James Harrison said. And that speaks well of the coaches.

I think this sums it up pretty well for the most part. IMO would give the coaching grade a C, but that's just me :grin1:

Dean Denton
10-14-2008, 01:44 PM
Pass Def is a C+ at best. Lets no forget all the knock downs, hurries, and Ben being able to keep from getting sacked about 20 other times. I would say 90% of the QB playing today would be up to 30 sacks right now.

TEEMONT
10-14-2008, 01:58 PM
Pass Def is a C+ at best. Lets no forget all the knock downs, hurries, and Ben being able to keep from getting sacked about 20 other times. I would say 90% of the QB playing today would be up to 30 sacks right now.

Pass d, or Pass O?

Dean Denton
10-14-2008, 02:50 PM
Pass d, or Pass O?
lol Pass Off, I confused myself because both are 18 sacks...

$teelersRule
10-14-2008, 02:51 PM

not the o-line they mean like how well our D defends the pass. i made the same mistake when i first read it.