PDA

View Full Version : Penalties

AZ_Steeler
10-08-2008, 03:41 AM
So are these overlooked simply because they got the win? I'm actually surprised nothing has been said because the way the Steelers racked up penalties Sunday night you would have thought you were watching a Raider game!

10 penalties for 129 yards...

That numbers completely cancels their total yards rushing! What's with the all the penalties, is this a lack of discipline or was it just a big rivalry game? Go back another week and they had 8 for 72 yards.

Penalties are nothing but momentum killers and 10 in one game is ridiculous! Racking up that many penalties and they are bound to pull of a Saints fiasco from Monday night that cost them the game!

Blitzburghpete
10-08-2008, 05:30 AM
You do have a point AZ but some of those penalties we got were farsical. I mean what about Harrison's so called "roughing the passer" call ?
Some of those penalties were utter bollocks!

Is there anyway we can find out how many of those penalties were offencive holding ones ? They are the ones that kill you. I don't mind the odd 15 yard ones from the defence as they are out there to be agressive. Offencive holding is a killer though.

LarryNJ
10-08-2008, 08:05 AM
That is waaaay too many and I don't go for the excuse it was bad refs. (don't want to sound like a Seahawks fan) Of course Harrisons was a bad call but every game has a couple bad calls go either way. I can only assume that this was noticed and addressed by the coaches. If not it will cost us a couple games.

I remember a few false starts and holding calls. I need to go to work but you can find all the plays here Pete.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/playbyplay?game_id=29601&displayPage=tab_play_by_play&season=2008&week=REG5&override=true

BlitzburghRockCity
10-08-2008, 08:33 AM
As far as Im concerned we can forget about 15 yds of those penalties since that one from Harrison was total BS.. I know we had atleast 1 one other personal foul if I remember right which is very uncharacteristic of a STeeler team so Im sure it's something Tomlin is looking at during the off week. Also a good 40 yds of the rest of that total was Ike's pass interference call in the end zone which was also bogus because the ball was already over their heads when he touched the WR. IF you factor in all those it's not quite so bad.

Steelmatic
10-08-2008, 09:28 AM
Judgements was very bad in this game, normally I hate to give the refs criticism because they often do a good job by viewing the plays and different kind of situations through, that's not necessary mean they can't blow up a penalty once and while, it's a part of the game and as a true fan you always think it's against your team, specially after 1 or 2 nonsense calls (Harrisson roughing the passer).

Regardless there where a lot of mistakes in this game, I don't hope it happens again but it could, unfortunately.

jpele
10-08-2008, 09:35 AM
Colon and M.Smith each had a false start in honor of Simmons. :yesnod:

The call on Harrison was bull as was the call on Ike for pass interference, (the ball was uncatchable and Ike made a great move on the ball )

The call on Clark was iffy, the ref said he hit a defenseless player. If you look at the play again the receiver had both feet on the ground not stretched out ,even if they make the call a late hit its questionable at best.

Nates penalty was stupid and uncalled for, hopeful he learned something. I don't remember the rest of them but I'm sure the were justified.

Yes its a lack of discipline

drucifer
10-08-2008, 09:56 AM
Too many false starts, Nate needs to keep his mouth shut and just hand the ball to the official, Ryan Clark's unneccessary hit was a bone-headed move. Other than that, it was mostly B.S., and that goes for calls against both teams.

LarryNJ
10-08-2008, 12:59 PM
6 Offensive penalties

1-10-PIT 21 (2:21) PENALTY on PIT-74-W.Colon, False Start, 5 yards, enforced at PIT 21 - No Play.

2-5-PIT 26 (2:21) (Shotgun) PENALTY on PIT-77-M.Smith, False Start, 5 yards, enforced at PIT 26 - No Play.
Drive ended in FG

3-6-PIT 35 (6:26) (Shotgun) 7-B.Roethlisberger pass short middle to 83-H.Miller to JAC 45 for 20 yards (43-G.Sensabaugh). PENALTY on PIT-74-W.Colon, Offensive Holding, 10 yards, enforced at PIT 35 - No Play. That cost us 30 yards we ended up punting

10-J.Scobee kicks 58 yards from JAC 30 to PIT 12. 23-T.Carter pushed ob at PIT 28 for 16 yards (26-O.Lowe). PENALTY on PIT-71-S.Paxson, Offensive Holding, 10 yards, enforced at PIT 28.
Drive ended in a punt

3-3-PIT 43 (4:40) (Shotgun) 7-B.Roethlisberger pass short left to 85-N.Washington to JAC 45 for 12 yards (29-B.Williams). PENALTY on PIT-85-N.Washington, Unsportsmanlike Conduct, 15 yards, enforced between downs. Bone headed play, plain & simple luckily we still scored the winning TD

PENALTY on PIT-7-B.Roethlisberger, Delay of Game, 5 yards, enforced at JAC 2 - No Play.
I didn't really understand call. The ref was reviewning the TD catch, it didn't seem like they used the that much time.

4 Defensive

1-10-PIT 40 (2:39) 9-D.Garrard pass incomplete deep middle to 18-M.Jones [96-O.Roye]. PENALTY on PIT-24-I.Taylor, Defensive Pass Interference, 39 yards, enforced at PIT 40 - No Play.

Shaky call because of the throw, but it often get's called when you are beat like that.

4-7-JAC 10 (7:40) 3-A.Podlesh punts 52 yards to PIT 38, Center-88-J.Zelenka. 10-S.Holmes to PIT 41 for 3 yards (24-M.Owens). PENALTY on PIT-22-W.Gay, Illegal Block Above the Waist, 10 yards, enforced at PIT 41.
Second special teams penalty

2-16-PIT 39 (14:17) (Shotgun) 9-D.Garrard pass incomplete deep middle to 18-M.Jones (26-D.Townsend). PENALTY on PIT-25-R.Clark, Unnecessary Roughness, 15 yards, enforced at PIT 39.
Uncalled for especially in the 4th Q of a close game Next play was a TD pass

3-7-JAC 17 (9:12) (Shotgun) 9-D.Garrard pass short right to 32-M.Jones-Drew to JAC 22 for 5 yards (56-L.Woodley) [92-J.Harrison]. PENALTY on PIT-92-J.Harrison, Roughing the Passer, 15 yards, enforced at JAC 22.
BS Call

ejsteeler
10-08-2008, 01:24 PM
Great recap on the penalties Larry, thanks. :yellowthumb:

BlitzburghRockCity
10-08-2008, 06:34 PM
Good breakdown indeed Larry, thanks !

So basically if you subtract off the pass interference of 40 yds and the 3 personal fouls totaling 45 yards you have a penalty situation that still isn't the best but not near as bad as it looks on paper so to speak.

Those holding penalties are just absolute killers though.

LarryNJ
10-08-2008, 09:01 PM
Lets look at the week before against the Ratbirds:

Offense

3-2-BAL 47 (10:52) (Shotgun) Penalty on PIT-73-K.Simmons, False Start, offsetting, enforced at BAL 47 - No Play. Penalty on BAL-50-A.Barnes, Personal Foul, offsetting. Penalty on PIT-10-S.Holmes, Personal Foul, offsetting.

False start at home? Offsetting PF

3-7-BAL 20 (7:39) (Shotgun) PENALTY on PIT-73-K.Simmons, False Start, 5 yards, enforced at BAL 20 - No Play.
2 false starts for Simmons on the same drive. DSrive ends in FG, did the false starts cost us 4 points??? Maybe

3-11-PIT 22 (7:27) (Shotgun) PENALTY on PIT-74-W.Colon, False Start, 5 yards, enforced at PIT 22 - No Play.

Another false start, :nono:

2-8-PIT 41 (13:20) (Shotgun) 7-B.Roethlisberger scrambles left tackle to PIT 50 for 9 yards (57-B.Scott). Penalty on PIT-86-H.Ward, Illegal Formation, offsetting, enforced at PIT 41 - No Play. Penalty on BAL-52-R.Lewis, Defensive Holding, offsetting.

Illegal formation, probably the OC's fault

4-5-PIT 48 (1:50) (Punt formation) PENALTY on PIT-17-M.Berger, Delay of Game, 5 yards, enforced at PIT 48 - No Play.

no biggie

Defensive

4-12-BAL 15 (13:38) (Punt formation) 4-S.Koch punts 55 yards to PIT 30, Center-70-M.Katula. 10-S.Holmes to PIT 45 for 15 yards (50-A.Barnes). PENALTY on PIT-53-B.Davis, Illegal Block Above the Waist, 10 yards, enforced at PIT 34.

Special teams, is this a pattern?

1-8-PIT 8 (:26) (Shotgun) 5-J.Flacco pass incomplete short right to 89-M.Clayton. Coverage by #20 McFadden Penalty on BAL-73-M.Yanda, Unnecessary Roughness, offsetting. Penalty on PIT-56-L.Woodley, Unnecessary Roughness, offsetting.

I don't remember that play, did we retaliate?

2-8-PIT 8 (:22) (Shotgun) PENALTY on PIT-56-L.Woodley, Neutral Zone Infraction, 4 yards, enforced at PIT 8 - No Play.

Not too bad, The Ravens hurt themselves more with roughing penalties and a few on their only drive in OT. Over the last 2 games I'd say the O line needs to get more disiplined and we need to sut out the unnecessary roughing calls. It's obvious they are going to call them closer this year 3 calls are ST is not good. We need every yard possible to make the field shorter.

NCSteeler
10-08-2008, 09:23 PM
Seems penalties are up league wide. I watch a lot of games and there are many penalties on everyone this year. Surprised no talking heads have anything to say about it yet.