PDA

View Full Version : Dennis Dixon

OC Steel Curtain
10-07-2008, 01:07 AM
Does anyone else think that he is too talented just to ride out the bench.. chris henrys 6'4 200.. dixons 6'3 195.. soo hes not too small.. and we all know hes a athlete getting drafted in baseball too.. just a thought

Steelmatic
10-07-2008, 01:17 AM
Does anyone else think that he is too talented just to ride out the bench.. chris henrys 6'4 200.. dixons 6'3 195.. soo hes not too small.. and we all know hes a athlete getting drafted in baseball too.. just a thought

I think he has the skills to develop some true gameskills with time. He might al ready have it by his Oregon time last year but he might be a little bit rough when it comes to maturity. I love the way he can throw the ball but maybe he should convert to another position to gain more playing time?!

Reciever anyone?:yellowthumb::greengrin:

K Train
10-07-2008, 01:23 AM
No...hes our backup QB, third this year, second next year....he doesnt need to play wideout, we are solid there

Steelmatic
10-07-2008, 01:29 AM
No...hes our backup QB, third this year, second next year....he doesnt need to play wideout, we are solid there
Yeah you right, I where just kidding. :nahnah:

Phenomenal TJ
10-07-2008, 01:32 AM
We like those bigger QB's, more durable. Look at Roethlisberger. There's no way we have him try and learn another position.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-07-2008, 07:26 AM

:iagree: Dixon needs to concentrate learning QB and not WR. He needs all the experience he can get. The team knew he was a project when they drafted him, he'll be a solid QB someday but not yet.

JensK
10-07-2008, 08:02 AM
I wouldnt mind him to get to the second string this year. If ben goes down its done for anyways, and we may aswell give him some exp. We are going to drop leftwich next year anyways, so we may aswell use Dixon sooner or later. He wont get exp. from sitting on the bench ^^

ARKIESTEEL
10-07-2008, 08:46 AM
Just wanted to say Slash

not sure why just did

HUNT4SEVEN
10-07-2008, 09:39 AM
Dennis Dixon is going to be an beast of an quater back some day, he's an project, but if Ben goes down i'm all for getting this cat some game experience now:yellowthumb:.

Steelmatic
10-07-2008, 09:50 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcHa4MzCICc
still believe that play is the best college football play I've ever had seen.
I woudn't mind seeing that happen in Blitzburgh! :tt02:

ward86steelers
10-07-2008, 11:20 AM
I'd love to see pittsburgh take a page from the dolphins playbook and run him in that "wildcat" offence or w/e they call it. Dixon set up as the quarterback and then run ward into motion before the snap. Everyone knows Dixon and ward can run or throw the ball....I think this would stall the blitz a little bit and keep the defence on their heels. We have the depth at WR/TE to do it as well. Holmes, Nate, and Heath running routes would give any defence a fit. We could even line parker up as a WR to get more speed on the feild.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-07-2008, 01:36 PM
Dennis being so inexperience is the main reason we brought in Leftwich. You could see some flashes of brilliance in preseason but if we had to rely on Dixon to lead the team right now we'd be in serious trouble. He's going to be good in a couple more years, really good as a matter of fact, but right now Byron is the best backup option.

Steelmatic
10-07-2008, 02:21 PM
Dennis being so inexperience is the main reason we brought in Leftwich. You could see some flashes of brilliance in preseason but if we had to rely on Dixon to lead the team right now we'd be in serious trouble. He's going to be good in a couple more years, really good as a matter of fact, but right now Byron is the best backup option.

But I guess Byron is only a option for a year? Or im wrong? This could mean we might al ready see some more action with Dixon next year. As I sad I don't remember Byron Leftwich's contract but it used to be a one year pick up FA?!

No matter what I actually feel more comfortable with our QB situation now than for years! My attention to use Dixon as a wide out is extremly bad when I think about it, so I pull my words back even it still was for fun...

:tt02:

JensK
10-07-2008, 02:34 PM
But I guess Byron is only a option for a year? Or im wrong? This could mean we might al ready see some more action with Dixon next year. As I sad I don't remember Byron Leftwich's contract but it used to be a one year pick up FA?!

No matter what I actually feel more comfortable with our QB situation now than for years! My attention to use Dixon as a wide out is extremly bad when I think about it, so I pull my words back even it still was for fun...

:tt02:

We only signed Leftwich for a year and he won't be satisfied with being a backup for another year, so he'll probably go to elsewhere. Next Dixon is going to be a great secondstring QB (imo at least), which leaves us with needing a 3 pick on the QB which, honestly, isnt all that hard to find. I mean... If both Ben and Dixon goes down, we are done for anyways. If everything fails, batch is only in the IR, so we would have NP bringing him in another year, untill we find someone a lil younger to take over :yellowthumb:

Steelmatic
10-07-2008, 02:42 PM
We only signed Leftwich for a year and he won't be satisfied with being a backup for another year, so he'll probably go to elsewhere. Next Dixon is going to be a great secondstring QB (imo at least), which leaves us with needing a 3 pick on the QB which, honestly, isnt all that hard to find. I mean... If both Ben and Dixon goes down, we are done for anyways. If everything fails, batch is only in the IR, so we would have NP bringing him in another year, untill we find someone a lil younger to take over :yellowthumb:

Well, a player like Leftwich is really strange to have. Some days he is playing like a good veteran quarterback and others don't. Honestly, Leftwich would have the same problem next year with teams. Pittsburgh would definitely not be his place, 100% sure about it. He would look after some rebuilding teams to join and gain the starting position behind center, very logically in my world.

Thanks for the Leftwhich contract answer- :yellowthumb:

Blitzburghpete
10-08-2008, 04:36 AM
What we need is an offencive co-ordinator to make some plays up to utilize the Talent D Dixon has even as a 3rd string Qb. Why not bring him in for a couple of "special" plays, and Yes why not like the way they used Slash? Where's Whizz these days?

1- his gets him invovled and some experience
2- it would give our Qb's a break from the punding they are taking

I do think EVERY man on the 53 man squad should participate and not be carried and why not have a handfull of plays for the 3rd string Qb in there ???

TrojanHorse
10-10-2008, 12:42 AM
Dixon was a college "spread" QB. Those guys struggle with the position in the pros, because in college they never had to turn their backs to the defense. I think that's part of the reason Dixon was drafted so late, as it will also hurt the stock of Chase Daniel, Tim Tebow, and Pat White. The last two spread QBs that I remember starting in the NFL both struggled and are now riding pine. That's Alex Smith and Vince Young.

Richmond Rukus
10-10-2008, 08:58 AM

:iagree: If Ben were to go down and miss a few weeks, I am confident Leftwich could come in and win a couple games with this team.

TEEMONT
10-10-2008, 10:46 AM
While I am confident that in two or three years Dixon is going to be a solid number two, I would not mind seeing him come in and run a few spread type plays with Willie and MM in the backfield.

ejsteeler
10-10-2008, 11:10 AM
Heck, just putting him on the field at a crucial time would be enough to confuse the D and give us an advantage. Actually using him would be only a necessary evil if we absolutely need it though imho.

DocHolliday1989
10-10-2008, 04:30 PM

:yellowthumb: yeh, I think that you R defenitely right in what u R saying there K Train. I have to think also that we are pretty good there at WR and if they feel like we need to upgrade there maybe they should get our #2 draft pick in some games and dress the young man. I still cannot believe that our #2 draft pick hasnt dressed for a game yet... just uncalled for in my opinion.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-13-2008, 11:33 PM
I was just talking to BG32 about this and the possibility of using Dixon or perhaps even Holmes for example in a similar type of Wildcat offense that Miami is using right now. I'm not too keen on Dixon playing WR but using this as yet another wrinkle if for nothing else than a decoy would be a nice weapon to have in our arsenal to keep the defenses guessing.

Black@Gold Forever32
10-13-2008, 11:50 PM
I was just talking to BG32 about this and the possibility of using Dixon or perhaps even Holmes for example in a similar type of Wildcat offense that Miami is using right now. I'm not too keen on Dixon playing WR but using this as yet another wrinkle if for nothing else than a decoy would be a nice weapon to have in our arsenal to keep the defenses guessing.

I'm not talking about using Dixon as a WR....I'm talking about splitting Dixon out wide but with the chance of letting him throw the ball out of that formation....Like the Dolphins did with Pennington.....Plus you can use the direct snap to Parker or Moore.....Just something to think about.....

BlitzburghRockCity
10-13-2008, 11:53 PM
Im all for that type of forward, unconventional thinking, I wouldn't mind that at all...at this point I'll just be happy if we continue letting Ben do his thing and not putting the handcuffs back on..LOL

Didn't we used to do that with Kordell when he first got into the league and I think alittle bit with Hines too if I'm not mistaken :thinking: whatever we can do to keep defenses honest and give them something else to think about is all the better for us.

Black@Gold Forever32
10-13-2008, 11:58 PM
I don't think Ben will be handcuffed anymore.....Tomlin knows what kind of QB Ben is.....But I just think ti would be wise to use Dixon in something like that.....Its a copy cat league and with the Dolphins having some success with the wild cat.....I starting thinking what would it hurt for the Steelers to try and throw Dixon out there......I think it would be kind of cool and Dixon has the arm to do it and plus he can run.....Plus a direct snap to Parker on Moore could be interesting.....

I know the Steelers tried it in the pre-season a few times....I cringed when Ben was split out wide....lol That is why I suggested Dixon.....I just don't want Ben to get take any cheap shots out there lined up as a WR......