PDA

View Full Version : Jeff Reed injures calf in Jags game..**Update 10/8 not expected to miss any games

Troyisabeast_43
10-06-2008, 07:40 PM
Just heard this a few minutes ago on Sportsbeat that Reed strained his calf last night making a tackle on special teams late in the game last night. It's why Mitch Berger came out and did the kickoff after the TD to Hines that gave the Steelers the lead. One reporter asked Jeff Reed how does your calf feel and he said it's pretty bad. Right now it looks as if Reed depending how bad this injury is he could miss about a month or so. So it looks as if the Steelers are going to possibly shopping for a kicker here to fill in for Jeff Reed assuming he is out for a certain period of time. This is certainly not good news at all seeing how clutch and automatic Reed has been for the Steelers. Who is out there that would be able to fill the void??

JB 67
10-06-2008, 07:56 PM
man we can't get a break No Gramatica's hopping around in black and gold!!!!!

SteelfordWexler
10-06-2008, 08:06 PM
Mike Vanderjagt helped us win the AFCC game before - maybe he can do it again.

Troyisabeast_43
10-06-2008, 08:11 PM
Mike Vanderjagt helped us win the AFCC game before - maybe he can do it again.

How about Gary Anderson?? I know him and Mitch Berger worked together in Minnesota for a very long time and were together that whole 1998 season where Anderson didnt have one single miss the entire season until the NFC Title game. I dont know how old Gary is but who knows maybe he still has some leg left in him...

Stairwayto7
10-06-2008, 08:14 PM
I guess we better get some more touchdowns

Captcoolhand
10-06-2008, 08:18 PM
Wow that sucks!

I was wondering why he was on the side lines and Berger was kicking.

Also, explains why they still went for the 2 pt conversion even after getting a flag.

ItAintEasyBeingPeazy
10-06-2008, 08:37 PM
Berger sucks. We'd be better off giving some free agent a chance.

Black@Gold Forever32
10-06-2008, 08:54 PM
Jeff "Skippy" Reed is money in the bank when it comes to field goal kicking...Plus he kicks in the toughest stadium in the NFL...This is a huge blow and I hope he isn't out to long...No matter who the Steelers sign he won't be as good as Reed....Huge loss if he is out a month or longer...

BlitzburghRockCity
10-06-2008, 09:13 PM
Jeff "Skippy" Reed is money in the bank when it comes to field goal kicking...Plus he kicks in the toughest stadium in the NFL...This is a huge blow and I hope he isn't out to long...No matter who the Steelers sign he won't be as good as Reed....Huge loss if he is out a month or longer...

Couldn't agree more bro, Reed being out for even a game is a HUGE loss. Having him in there is pretty much an automatic 3 points from any distance he tries. When it rains it pours, fortunately we're headed into a bye and that gives him 2 weeks to rest now and perhaps he can be back after the cincy game.

Troyisabeast_43
10-06-2008, 09:39 PM
Couldn't agree more bro, Reed being out for even a game is a HUGE loss. Having him in there is pretty much an automatic 3 points from any distance he tries. When it rains it pours, fortunately we're headed into a bye and that gives him 2 weeks to rest now and perhaps he can be back after the cincy game.

It will be a huge loss if he is out for any amount of time. Let's hope it's not as bad a calf strain injury as the one Brett Kiesel got that has kept him now for almost a month. At this point if Reed would miss the Bengals game and return for the Giants game in about 3 weeks time I would be perfectly fine with it. I'm sure we will get more information about this as the week goes on and hopefully it wont be as bad as it sounds right now. It is going to be a huge huge concern should Reed miss the games against the Giants and Redskins seeing that both of those games are most likely going to be very close hard fought games that could very well end up coming down to a game winning FG type situation.

Steelmatic
10-07-2008, 02:20 AM
How about Gary Anderson?? I know him and Mitch Berger worked together in Minnesota for a very long time and were together that whole 1998 season where Anderson didnt have one single miss the entire season until the NFC Title game. I dont know how old Gary is but who knows maybe he still has some leg left in him...

How about Morten Andersen?? I think he soon retire if no one give him the call. Nah maybe it's just because he is danish....

Morten in black and gold.. hmmm

I don't know the market for kickers right now, but there should be some solid ones! It used to..

NCSteeler
10-07-2008, 02:58 AM
Could try Tyler Mehlhaff http://www.rotoworld.com/Content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=4922

This could be bad news if Jeff misses 4-5 weeks. He is money in the bank. I wouldn't mind seeing them bring in another punter for a check out during hte byweek either.

memphissteelergirl
10-07-2008, 10:09 AM
:banging::cursin::banging::cursin::banging::cursin :

steelerschick1220
10-07-2008, 12:47 PM
When it rains it pours........

Hopefully Jeff will heal up pretty quick and be back in time for the Giants. I just hope that we don't have any game winnign or game tying field goal situations while he is gone.

JensK
10-07-2008, 12:51 PM
How about Morten Andersen?? I think he soon retire if no one give him the call. Nah maybe it's just because he is danish....

Morten in black and gold.. hmmm

I don't know the market for kickers right now, but there should be some solid ones! It used to..

We are both from Denmark, so i guees we should both have a "thing" about Morten Andersen, but honestly, hes time is up, and he would def. not do to well in Steelers. He is to old, and hes leg is not strong enough anymore to really contribute. What is golden about Reed is, that we can rely on him from almost any given fair distance, in pretty much all kind of weather. We couldnt with Morten. Also, i don't really think Morten would want to go and play 1-2 months and then get benched, seeing that he has alot of stuff going on atm, so if he were to step in for a team it would be full time, and not just till Reed returns. Hands down, that is not a competition anymore :P

Instead, lets make Morten a punter! We sure as hell could need a new one, like Eagles punter. Man that guy is scary, avg'ing almost 50yard a kick against washington, and they had and avg on like 5 yards on the return.

Steelmatic
10-07-2008, 03:28 PM
We are both from Denmark, so i guees we should both have a "thing" about Morten Andersen, but honestly, hes time is up, and he would def. not do to well in Steelers. He is to old, and hes leg is not strong enough anymore to really contribute. What is golden about Reed is, that we can rely on him from almost any given fair distance, in pretty much all kind of weather. We couldnt with Morten. Also, i don't really think Morten would want to go and play 1-2 months and then get benched, seeing that he has alot of stuff going on atm, so if he were to step in for a team it would be full time, and not just till Reed returns. Hands down, that is not a competition anymore :P

Instead, lets make Morten a punter! We sure as hell could need a new one, like Eagles punter. Man that guy is scary, avg'ing almost 50yard a kick against washington, and they had and avg on like 5 yards on the return.

U've got that right. Morten Andersen is done and not a safe investment when it comes to 45 plus yards field goals and like you just said to my comment, he might not even think about a job for only 2 months and then spending time on the bench when Reed is ready again after his injury. It was a danish hype, because of my love for him as a player and a true legend who only deserves to end his career somewhere in New Orleans.

I rather pick Reed any day over Morten A.
By the way great to talk to a danish citizens!

Troyisabeast_43
10-07-2008, 05:00 PM
http://www.postgazette.com/pg/08281/917954-66.stm

According to this link today and article in the Post Gazette today from Ed Bouchette Jeff Reed is expected to be okay and ready to kick in time for the Bengals game on October 19th. Boy this is definitely a relief and very very great news to hear.

Steelmatic
10-07-2008, 05:34 PM

According to this link today and article in the Post Gazette today from Ed Bouchette Jeff Reed is expected to be okay and ready to kick in time for the Bengals game on October 19th. Boy this is definitely a relief and very very great news to hear.
Great news to hear! Thanks for posting it!:yellowthumb:

BlitzburghRockCity
10-08-2008, 06:39 PM
Yeah I just saw this in one of my alerts, this is great news and fortunately it happened just before the bye or we might have been in trouble for a couple weeks.

Stairwayto7
10-08-2008, 06:46 PM
Good news, rest up Reed

Prosdo
10-08-2008, 07:59 PM
Glad Jeff is gonna be alright. Didn't want to bring in some bum lol.

steelerschick1220
10-08-2008, 10:19 PM
Maybe this means that the injury bug has left us. Perhaps it will bless another team with its presence.

steelersgal86
10-09-2008, 07:09 AM
Good News....good weekend for a bye so he can rest up....:yellowthumb:

memphissteelergirl
10-09-2008, 10:23 AM

WHEW!! :banana2: