PDA

View Full Version : Another reason this year's defense is superior to last year's defense

DBR96A
10-06-2008, 05:22 PM
Our defense this year knows how to put away close games. They did a terrible job of that last year, but they've rediscovered how to do it this year. Discuss...

Troyisabeast_43
10-06-2008, 05:30 PM
Our defense this year knows how to put away close games. They did a terrible job of that last year, but they've rediscovered how to do it this year. Discuss...

I agree with you 100 percent and there are a couple of good reasons for that. First off, Troy is playing out of his mind so far and his 100 percent healthy. Next, you have a guy like Lamar Woodley starting who is a dominant force over a stiff like Clark Haggans who just couldnt cut it here no more toward the end of last season. Also, Timmons has been very solid as well this year and is a big big contributor to this defense so far.

Lastly, I really believe that Bryant McFadden starting over Deshea in the secondary makes not only the secondary better but the defense as a whole better overall. Bryant McFadden since being inserted into the starting lineup this year has just made big play after big play late in these games on 3rd downs and just everything. He had so many key tackles and pass breakups last night late in the game that had Deshea Townsend been playing they would have been catches and conversions and who knows what would have happened. McFadden is so solid and I think he is only going to get better as the year goes along, he is a really solid football player.

The bottom line is this defense this season has more playmakers and difference makers starting and getting more reps and it's a big reason why they now know how to finish off games and are currently sitting at 4-1 as we head into the bye week. This defense is flat out good and I think is only going to get better as the season moves forward.

Black@Gold Forever32
10-06-2008, 05:46 PM
What is scary is I think personally this defense could be even better with Timmons receiving more playing time.....He can cover, blitz and hit.....Those skills need to be used more in this defense...

The defense is finishing games......Harrison, Woodley are a big part of that....Plus McFadden has really came into his own this year....But the biggest reason to me is the health of the Ryan Clark and Troy Polamalu.....

Yes I know I ranted and rave about Troy.....But I didn't want to see him being the next Bob Sanders only playing 6-8 games a year...So it was pissing me off...I still think he is vastly over-rated by some....But he is a damn good football player when healthy....

jpele
10-06-2008, 06:01 PM
I agree with all of the above but I'll add that the play of Timmons has made Larry Foote a better player.

Black@Gold Forever32
10-06-2008, 06:07 PM
I agree with all of the above but I'll add that the play of Timmons has made Larry Foote a better player.

Larry Foote is a solid football player....I don't dislike Foote......But I just think Timmons has a some special skills....When the Jags scored the go ahead TD and Foote was slow in coverage....I think Timmons speed could have helped there....

Its nice to have this problem as well...Depth is always a good thing....

BlitzburghRockCity
10-06-2008, 06:35 PM

Indeed, Foote has elevated his game because he knows Lebeau has options behind him, competition is always a good thing and it's nice to finally have solid depth at MLB. We haven't had that kind of depth in the last 5 years at least there.

let's not forget something else here people, Aaron Smith is healthy and he's key to our stuffing the run. Without him last year we were horrible plain and simple. Our depth in key areas is a major reason we're 4-1 and not 2-3 right now. McFadden, Roye, Hoke, Kirschke, Timmons, Clark, all these guys are huge not to mention Troy who is beyond a shadow of a doubt back to being the force he was 2 years ago.

igor0190
10-06-2008, 08:06 PM
Why not move Woodley to DE for a couple games, and put Timmons at Outside LB? I mean since were so thin on the D-line right now. There must be a reason they won't do this. Woodley played DE in College and he has DE size!
Just a question, whatever they're doing is working and obviously no need to fix something that isnt broke.

Dick Lebeau is a ****ing genius by the way

SteelfordWexler
10-06-2008, 08:28 PM
Woodley is a little light to play DE in the 3-4 defense. Those guys are usually 300 pounders.

Stairwayto7
10-06-2008, 08:29 PM
Mr.Woodley is the main reason we are better. More double teams for him means more sacks for Harrison.

ItAintEasyBeingPeazy
10-06-2008, 08:46 PM
Thank god this defense is back..and looks better than ever. The ol "Meet me at the Quaterback" game Wood and Harrison are playin reminds me of lloyd and Greene. And your right TG...Troy looks like the Troy of old and it's great to see him flying around again. I must admit i agreed with Madden last night on his comments about Troy..the one play when they ran a play out to the outside and Troy came flying up and killed the play with zero yds gained. Most players would have squared up and waited till the runner met them (giving up about 4-5 yds) and then made the tackle. Troy was a missle,as Madden called him and blew that play up.He straight runs thru people.

DanRooney
10-06-2008, 09:38 PM
Woodley is a little light to play DE in the 3-4 defense. Those guys are usually 300 pounders.

What??? :thinking:

Dude, Woodley is an OLB. Was a DE in a 4-3 in college.

Oh nvmd, didn't see you were responding to that one dude lol. Don't know what hes smoking.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-06-2008, 09:39 PM
Who would have thought we'd have a defense with so much solid depth, this is a luxury we haven't had in a few years. I don't want to test it anymore with starters going down because we're starting to get stretched alittle thin, any more issues and we'll be having problems just trying to field enough guys to play. No doubt every single player is stepping up and taking advantage of their opportunities, it's a very unselfish group which is just the way it should be.

Stlrs4Life
10-06-2008, 11:48 PM
Agree with all above, but will add, a healthy Aaron Smith also makes us better.

Steelmatic
10-07-2008, 02:07 AM
Thank god this defense is back..and looks better than ever. The ol "Meet me at the Quaterback" game Wood and Harrison are playin reminds me of lloyd and Greene. And your right TG...Troy looks like the Troy of old and it's great to see him flying around again. I must admit i agreed with Madden last night on his comments about Troy..the one play when they ran a play out to the outside and Troy came flying up and killed the play with zero yds gained. Most players would have squared up and waited till the runner met them (giving up about 4-5 yds) and then made the tackle. Troy was a missle,as Madden called him and blew that play up.He straight runs thru people.

I remember that play and I was totally nerve-racking about it. He really seems to catch things up again and a healthy Troy Polamalu is a true force for this team. I would suggest to send him more in to the box because I really think he is a stud on LOS. Using him on blitzes and other stuff would make him even more crazy. I like that versatility in a player and specially a hard knocking safety!

Man it's great to see this defence again. I gotta give a sidenote to McFadden also, amazing job by this guy so far.

:tt02: Steel defence!

NCSteeler
10-07-2008, 02:25 AM
Aaron Smith keeps the edges clean for the blitzers and the RB can only chip one of 2 great rushers. Woodley has made a lot of difference this year, and Mc Fadden and a heathly Troy and Ryan. I do have to say that Foote is still much better against the run then Timmons, he seems to get blocked out on run plays pretty easily. It could be that his speed makes him over persue a little, some experience ought to fix that.

HUNT4SEVEN
10-07-2008, 10:46 AM
:imho:It's the L.B's sure the D-Line is holding it's own, but the outside L.B's are getting pressure on the Q.B almost every play, but the whole Defense is taking care of Business:tt02::yellowthumb:, an you have to show some love to the Special Teams also, they have been outstanding this year:yellowthumb::tt02::imho:

JensK
10-07-2008, 12:47 PM
I remember that play and I was totally nerve-racking about it. He really seems to catch things up again and a healthy Troy Polamalu is a true force for this team. I would suggest to send him more in to the box because I really think he is a stud on LOS. Using him on blitzes and other stuff would make him even more crazy. I like that versatility in a player and specially a hard knocking safety!

Man it's great to see this defence again. I gotta give a sidenote to McFadden also, amazing job by this guy so far.

:tt02: Steel defence!

I don't agree on Troy getting into the box. Im a big fan of Troy when he is healthy, but he is just better at covering. He is very good to stop the run, if they break through the line (which rarely happens), but i still have to see him make a really good play from LOS so far this season. Clark have been better at LOS than troy imo. He have made some evil evil tackles, especially against Texans (i know i know.. They arent that good).

McFadden have been really solid too, although he is making some stupid mistakes now and then (like the flag against Jaguars -.-)

Woodley and Harrison.. All have been said. They are dominating, and would dominate even more if Timmons got to play more. It would be 3 man they would need to double team to be safe, which is pretty impossible to say it at least :P

Hoke - i like what i see. Im pretty sure that Hampton will play to his limit and then some when he returns, because he have now seen, that we have a "more than decent" back-up in Hoke. Competition ftw!:greenbounce2:

The only real problem with our defence is, imo, the 3rd and long situations.Why not bring som heat on the QB instead of that boring cover shiat which we always seem to struggle with. We give up way to many 3rd and 9-10-11 etc. plays, because we only bring 4 man in, and gives the QB's way to much time to throw the ball.

Steelmatic
10-07-2008, 03:53 PM
I don't agree on Troy getting into the box. Im a big fan of Troy when he is healthy, but he is just better at covering. He is very good to stop the run, if they break through the line (which rarely happens), but i still have to see him make a really good play from LOS so far this season. Clark have been better at LOS than troy imo. He have made some evil evil tackles, especially against Texans (i know i know.. They arent that good).

McFadden have been really solid too, although he is making some stupid mistakes now and then (like the flag against Jaguars -.-)

Woodley and Harrison.. All have been said. They are dominating, and would dominate even more if Timmons got to play more. It would be 3 man they would need to double team to be safe, which is pretty impossible to say it at least :P

Hoke - i like what i see. Im pretty sure that Hampton will play to his limit and then some when he returns, because he have now seen, that we have a "more than decent" back-up in Hoke. Competition ftw!:greenbounce2:

The only real problem with our defence is, imo, the 3rd and long situations.Why not bring som heat on the QB instead of that boring cover shiat which we always seem to struggle with. We give up way to many 3rd and 9-10-11 etc. plays, because we only bring 4 man in, and gives the QB's way to much time to throw the ball.
I don't disagree or agree! Texans O-line is considerable improved after last year, of cause they still got there problems to handle but I still see some great talent on there offensive line. I know that's not the main topic, but I couldn't resist the smack Texans getting right now because of there bad record. These concerns are up front with there coaching staff.

Troy Palamalu didn't lined up through LOS in that game as i remember? I can be wrong but I usely remember well.. The part I agree on is we still need to see some spectacular plays from Troy at LOS this year. But I like his power and evilness and think it can be a great boost for the D-line to add him sometimes on several plays. Just my opinion!

3rd down situations is painful and embarrassing at times. A point we need to do much better! I agree!

:tt02:

JensK
10-07-2008, 04:20 PM
I don't disagree or agree! Texans O-line is considerable improved after last year, of cause they still got there problems to handle but I still see some great talent on there offensive line. I know that's not the main topic, but I couldn't resist the smack Texans getting right now because of there bad record. These concerns are up front with there coaching staff.

Troy Palamalu didn't lined up through LOS in that game as i remember? I can be wrong but I usely remember well.. The part I agree on is we still need to see some spectacular plays from Troy at LOS this year. But I like his power and evilness and think it can be a great boost for the D-line to add him sometimes on several plays. Just my opinion!

3rd down situations is painful and embarrassing at times. A point we need to do much better! I agree!

I believe he had a few plays from LOS, but im not proud of my memory :P

Lets take the browns game instead :P He lined up a few times, and i'll give you that the superman play where i litterally jumped over rodgers (i think it was?) was awesome to watch, but sort of useless. I guees he somewhat messed up the play, but he didnt tackle anyone or sack anyone, which is what i really miss. I think we both can agree, that he gets a lot of tackeling done when he is at LOS, but i really want to see him make a deep impact if he does, because if he doesnt make an impact, he is more useful in the backfield :)

Steelmatic
10-07-2008, 04:40 PM
I believe he had a few plays from LOS, but im not proud of my memory :P

Lets take the browns game instead :P He lined up a few times, and i'll give you that the superman play where i litterally jumped over rodgers (i think it was?) was awesome to watch, but sort of useless. I guees he somewhat messed up the play, but he didnt tackle anyone or sack anyone, which is what i really miss. I think we both can agree, that he gets a lot of tackeling done when he is at LOS, but i really want to see him make a deep impact if he does, because if he doesnt make an impact, he is more useful in the backfield :)

A sack or a fumble forced by him would be loverly to see. Yea the browns game is a quiet good game to talk about and he had his things to come up with in my opinion, but the big plays fail to come. I guess any fan would see results immediately beacuse that's what matters in the last end, im more a spectator who loves to follow a single player and most of the time you can actually see some small things who really means a lot in the last end of a play. Troy is a guy who constantly after my opinion does a great job while he is healthy, maybe it's not a sack,interception, forced fumble etc. His skills to stand on the field is by far the most polished thing a like about him.

Improvements is still needs to be done and he does miss a lot of things at the line, no one is perfect so is Troy Palamalu. Some things is valuable and Troy on the field at the line or in the backfield is a huge advantage for any team we are facing.

This doesn't mean I analyze everything about him, cause I not. I might only be a little bit homer about him.