PDA

View Full Version : The Steelers really dont need Davenport based on the Jags game...

Troyisabeast_43
10-06-2008, 04:35 PM
Now I knew going into last night's game that Mewelde Moore would be able to get the job done carrying the load. I have seen enough of him over the years in Minnesota when he filled in and started some games when he performed well enough to know that he has what it takes to be a starter in this league if need be. I was equally impressed with Gary Russell as well. He ran the ball extremely well when he got in there, and made some key blocks for Ben on 3rd down in particular the one on the last drive at the end of the game where Ben got hit and got the ball to Ward for the 20 yard play that gave the Steelers a first down at about the 12 yard line. At this point when Willie Parker comes back I stick with Moore and Russell as my other two runnings back and just use Najeh Davenport for mainly special teams and other things or dont even dress him for that matter. With the way Russell stepped up and played last night when Willie Parker comes back the Steelers in my opinion dont really have a use for Najeh Davenport the way I see...

DocHolliday1989
10-06-2008, 04:40 PM
There is no doubting this young man in my opinion. I only knew what I seen on highlight reels on youtube of what this guy could do during his days with the Vikings, but the Vikings made a mistake giving this guy up so easily. I loved the way he hits the hole quickly and doesnt hesitate and that makes him in my opinion more explosive than Mendenhall looks. I know I am gonna hear about that statement, but Mendenhall is still learning that he is Not in college anymore and that he cant just overpower and outrun most all his opponents like he did his last year in Illinois. I love Parker and this Melwede Moore is gonna give us some great breaks for Willie Parker when he returns after the bye week.
:rant2:

lloydfan4life
10-06-2008, 04:52 PM
:plus1:
I agree with both of you!
Mewelde looked really good last night. With Mendenhall out for the season I hope Moore gets put in the #2 slot behind Willie. He certainly earned it with the way he came through for us last week and the performance he had last night. With Willie and Mewelde sharing time in the back field that's quite a one-two punch!

AZ_Steeler
10-06-2008, 05:02 PM
This is where I don't like how things are ran in any organization... the starting RB went down, then the backup went down and in comes the 3rd string guy. What does he do, he only puts up 99 yards on 17 carries for a staggering 5.8 per carry against a brutal Jacksonville D! Should Parker be given his spot back, or do they continue to go with Moore after a very productive game? Since week 1 we've really watched Parkers productivity get worse and worse! He started with a 5 yards/carry the opening week, then followed that up with a 3.8 against Cleveland and then a 1.5 before getting injured. So why not stick with the #3 guy and see what he can do? I was impressed, and feel that he at least earned another start regardless of Parkers status. Will it happen... probably not!

BlitzburghRockCity
10-06-2008, 05:35 PM
Nobody is going to unseat Parker, let's not get ahead of ourselves here. Willie was/is having a great year so far for us until he got hurt but he'll be back after the by. Moore had a great game and Im glad we picked him up, he's going to be huge for us. Let's not appoint him the starter just yet though after 1 game. Our OL is still coming together and Willie is no fluke either. Russel will be the main backup to FWP, and Moore will be the 3rd down guy, ST, and a spark to change things up in the running game but FWP is still the guy and it's not like he's sucked this year.

As far as Dookie goes, he's a good insurance policy for the team, he can return kicks as well which is a plus for us to keep him around. I wouldn't get rid of him just yet till we see how soon Davis comes back.

Troyisabeast_43
10-06-2008, 05:37 PM
This is where I don't like how things are ran in any organization... the starting RB went down, then the backup went down and in comes the 3rd string guy. What does he do, he only puts up 99 yards on 17 carries for a staggering 5.8 per carry against a brutal Jacksonville D! Should Parker be given his spot back, or do they continue to go with Moore after a very productive game? Since week 1 we've really watched Parkers productivity get worse and worse! He started with a 5 yards/carry the opening week, then followed that up with a 3.8 against Cleveland and then a 1.5 before getting injured. So why not stick with the #3 guy and see what he can do? I was impressed, and feel that he at least earned another start regardless of Parkers status. Will it happen... probably not!

I disagree with this Parker should be and needs to be the main running back and go to guy in the running game on this team. Willie Parker has that big game breaking ability that a lot of running backs around the league just do not have. He can be having a game where he only has 40 yards rushing and then all of a sudden boom he breaks one for 65-70 yards and touchdown. Now while Mewelde Moore is a very good running back and does bring a lot to the table he still does not give that home run hitting ability that Parker does. This team won the Super Bowl with Willie Parker as running back 3 years ago, and he still has what it takes to be one of the better running backs in all of the National football League.

Black@Gold Forever32
10-06-2008, 05:42 PM
Parker should be the starter but Moore should be involved more no doubt when Parker comes back....I don't want to run Willie until the wheels fall off like last year......Moore showed last night that he can both run and catch the ball.....I would actually like to see Parker and Moore in the same backfield at times...I know it sounds crazy...But there was talk of putting Parker and Mendenhall in the same backfield when Mendenhall was drafted.....That idea shouldn't end with Mendenhall being done for the year.....Just put Moore in there at times with Parker...I also don't think that should be a big part of the offense but at times it might be wise to put them in at the same time...

Gettysburgh_Steel
10-06-2008, 05:45 PM
Moore did the job he was brought in to do. Period! He was awsome at his job,and thats what he was paid to do.I applaud him on his excellence,but ladies and gentleman,it still comes down to play calling,and not being predictable.I believe we are holding back for the sake of film.I believe in the Tomlinator and what he is doing,and has done thus far. Arians has got to get all his ducks in a row.And do not underestimate the presence of the "Port".We will all see what he brings down the stretch. Game plan and play calling is where our troubles lie. Not o-line as most people think.:tt02:

jpele
10-06-2008, 05:55 PM
The bigger problem here is: If Russell get put back on the practice squad, he's gone.You know someone will pick him up.

Blitzburghpete
10-06-2008, 06:06 PM

I agree with you mate. And like you i also agree it won't happen.

For all those people that think Parker is the real deal, how come year in year out you get us fans having a debtate about him ? Do you think charger fans say this stuff about LT ? Nope
My point is parker is not the complete back LT or B Westbrook are so he's alwyas going to get knocked especially when our number 3 come in and runs for nearly 100 yards and is very much part of the passing game too.

Why not give M Moore a shot at starting when Parker is back? And befopre you all jump on me about that it's a rhetorical question - cos i know it ain't gonna happen.

SteelfordWexler
10-06-2008, 08:22 PM
Nate Washington should probably replace Santonio Holmes too. Based on last night- he is definitely playing at a much higher level.

ItAintEasyBeingPeazy
10-06-2008, 08:33 PM
Nate Washington should probably replace Santonio Holmes too. Based on last night- he is definitely playing at a much higher level.

:clap:

Troyisabeast_43
10-06-2008, 08:46 PM
I agree with you mate. And like you i also agree it won't happen.

For all those people that think Parker is the real deal, how come year in year out you get us fans having a debtate about him ? Do you think charger fans say this stuff about LT ? Nope
My point is parker is not the complete back LT or B Westbrook are so he's alwyas going to get knocked especially when our number 3 come in and runs for nearly 100 yards and is very much part of the passing game too.

Why not give M Moore a shot at starting when Parker is back? And befopre you all jump on me about that it's a rhetorical question - cos i know it ain't gonna happen.

Ill take Willie Parker over both LT and Westbrook any day of the week. LT while he might put up a lot of yards the guy is a whiner and has no heart at all after what I saw from him last year in the AFC Title game when he wouldnt suck it up and play hurt against the Patriots. Heart is something you will never ever have to question about Willie Parker period. He has overcome so many opticals so far in his career being undrafted and everything else to get to where he is today. As for Westbrook he is like tissue paper and gets hurt every single week. He got hurt again this week with fractured ribs after just coming back from an ankle injury. While Westbrook is a very good back he gets hurt way too much and is too injury prone.

ItAintEasyBeingPeazy
10-06-2008, 09:08 PM
Ill take Willie Parker over both LT and Westbrook any day of the week. LT while he might put up a lot of yards the guy is a whiner and has no heart at all after what I saw from him last year in the AFC Title game when he wouldnt suck it up and play hurt against the Patriots. Heart is something you will never ever have to question about Willie Parker period. He has overcome so many opticals so far in his career being undrafted and everything else to get to where he is today. As for Westbrook he is like tissue paper and gets hurt every single week. He got hurt again this week with fractured ribs after just coming back from an ankle injury. While Westbrook is a very good back he gets hurt way too much and is too injury prone.

Wow..dude i like FWP too..but to take him over Westbrook and LT is crazy talk.Nobody questions Willie's heart.But he gets hurt pretty often too.He's been running well.but i still haven't seen that crazy speed he once had.He still gets those nice 20+ runs..but they used to be 60+ runs.

HUNT4SEVEN
10-07-2008, 01:12 AM
dude i agree with u 1000%:tt02::yellowthumb:

Troyisabeast_43
10-07-2008, 01:24 AM
Wow..dude i like FWP too..but to take him over Westbrook and LT is crazy talk.Nobody questions Willie's heart.But he gets hurt pretty often too.He's been running well.but i still haven't seen that crazy speed he once had.He still gets those nice 20+ runs..but they used to be 60+ runs.

Well how many Super Bowl's have LT and Westbrook won as their teams starting running backs for all of these years?? Let me do the math because it wont take long Ohhhh that's right zeroooo,zilch,nada,nothing,zipadedooda....Willie Parker has won a Super Bowl as a starting running back and had a 75 yard TD run in the Super Bowl that really broke open the game against Seattle and allowed the Steelers to control the game and of course win. Keep in mind Parker has only been in the league 4 years which is a lot less time then LT and Westbrook have been playing.

Black@Gold Forever32
10-07-2008, 01:42 AM
Well how many Super Bowl's have LT and Westbrook won as their teams starting running backs for all of these years?? Let me do the math because it wont take long Ohhhh that's right zeroooo,zilch,nada,nothing,zipadedooda....Willie Parker has won a Super Bowl as a starting running back and had a 75 yard TD run in the Super Bowl that really broke open the game against Seattle and allowed the Steelers to control the game and of course win. Keep in mind Parker has only been in the league 4 years which is a lot less time then LT and Westbrook have been playing.

Using the Super Bowl argument isn't fair......Football is a team game.....Teams win and lose games....

I'm a big fan of Willie Parker but if you had to ask me if I could have LT in his prime or Parker then I'm going with LT.....

NCSteeler
10-07-2008, 02:33 AM
I like Willie for now. Biggest problem is Speed is his game and age and injuries will slow him down and he will need to be replaced. Moore will be mroe involved int he offense after this week, if he is not than we will know it is time to evaluate the coaching staff.

Assuming Davis's ankle is better after the week off, I would assume Dookie gets cut again. They can't afford to cut Russel a second time with the exposure he has had, but they may try and slide him back on the PS. Dookie on the other hand is not likely to go anywhere when cut and will be there waiting if we need him again. I'm sur ehe understood the situation when he was brought in.

Clevelandsux
10-07-2008, 06:13 PM
The big pooper knows the system. I don't think anyone knew the gem we had in Moore.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-07-2008, 06:37 PM

Please pass me the pipe you're smokin bro becuz it's got some good stuff in it for sure..LOL.

There is no way on this earth that Nate is going to replace Santonio. 1 good game by Washington does not erase the inconsistent career he's had so far. Nate is a role player and he's got a good upside but the dude did jack in the first 3 games, the 4th he made a couple plays and then on Sunday he had a good night. Santonio is a monster weapon for us and the guy can do it all. He's just coming into his own and I forsee multiple pro bowls for this kid before his year is over.

SteelfordWexler
10-07-2008, 10:04 PM
Please pass me the pipe you're smokin bro becuz it's got some good stuff in it for sure..LOL.

There is no way on this earth that Nate is going to replace Santonio. 1 good game by Washington does not erase the inconsistent career he's had so far. Nate is a role player and he's got a good upside but the dude did jack in the first 3 games, the 4th he made a couple plays and then on Sunday he had a good night. Santonio is a monster weapon for us and the guy can do it all. He's just coming into his own and I forsee multiple pro bowls for this kid before his year is over.

Sarcasm. Of course Holmes is better -not even close. Parker is also better than Moore.

DanRooney
10-08-2008, 03:23 AM

The problem with the Steelers is the continue to stick with Willie throughout the whole game when he struggles. Mendenhall and Moore should have been used a lot more in the game in Philly as a change of pace when our offense wasn't doing anything. Too bad it took Arians 1 week to figure out quick slants and checkdowns are how you escape the constant barrage of blitzes.

Same can be said about Nate Washington. Since he wasn't catching anything in the first 4 games, why didn't we see Baker/Sweed in at all? Hell we only have 1 starter from the last 2 drafts.

------------------------------------------------------------
[AutoMerged Post Below]
------------------------------------------------------------

:lol:

Mathis, the Jags best corner, was on Santonio.

Nate was covered by a waterboy. Sounds crazy, but I was actually hoping he would drop that pass when he was wide open on that double move just so I could see Sweed start.

AZ_Steeler
10-08-2008, 03:33 AM
I disagree with this Parker should be and needs to be the main running back and go to guy in the running game on this team. Willie Parker has that big game breaking ability that a lot of running backs around the league just do not have. He can be having a game where he only has 40 yards rushing and then all of a sudden boom he breaks one for 65-70 yards and touchdown. Now while Mewelde Moore is a very good running back and does bring a lot to the table he still does not give that home run hitting ability that Parker does. This team won the Super Bowl with Willie Parker as running back 3 years ago, and he still has what it takes to be one of the better running backs in all of the National football League.

First, let me say that I do like Willie just as much as the next guy. I'm not trying to take anything away from him, he's great and has that break away speed to hit that homerun at anytime... assuming the whole is big enough for him to get through and he doesn't run into a defender along the way. Speaking of homeruns... Parkers longest run on the season is only 32 yards and Moore is right behind him at 27 yards. Moore also has 5 catches out of the backfield for 54 yards and half of his catches have resulted in first downs... Parker has a goose egg in the receiving category.

All I'm saying is Moore has been just as productive as Parker, if not a little more, and he's coming off a solid performance so why disrupt things and bring back the starter who is probably not 100% ready to go yet but has that fear of losing his job? Parker trying to come back too early can only jeopardize his season/career and how far the Steelers can go this season.

Moore did just fine.... give the man another week let Parker get back to 100% then decide from there.

SteelfordWexler
10-08-2008, 10:45 AM

Just to be clear - this was a sarcastic comment.
I'm not typically a big fan of sarcasm - but was in a mood and it struck me as funny. I was just making the comment to make a point about the Moore/Parker debate.