PDA

View Full Version : Hoke - Hampton

Blitzburghpete
10-06-2008, 07:17 AM
It goes under the radar a lot but Chris Hoke is quietly becoming a force on the defence.

Do you remember our 15-1 season when Hampton was out for the year and we had Hoke come in and play - Never once did any of us shout " if only hampton was here "

Last night against the run heavy Jags, did any of you think " i wish Hampton was playing " ? Nope

I'm not saying Hampton is rubbish - far from it, he 's class and a pro bowler - what i am asking is how do you think we should utilize Hoke's obvious ability ?

More 4 - 3 defences
Rotation with Hampton

Or just plain start Hoke ???

What do you think people ?

Me - I think whilst we have this man's talent use some more 4-3 defences on 1st down.

Stairwayto7
10-06-2008, 07:20 AM
I agree, altough Hampton is good, I think next season you take his salary into account, and Casey might be the ig man out.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-06-2008, 08:20 AM
Hoke has always been good, that's why you don't see much of a drop off when he's in there. We're lucky to have him on our team for sure. The dude is strong as an ox and just plain stout at holding his ground, last night the Jags had Fred Taylor try and block him and Hoke just picked him up and literally pushed him right back into the backfield. :lol:

NOVA STEELERS
10-06-2008, 10:00 AM
I wouldn't shed a :crying: if hampton was let go and went with HOKE, he has more the proven himself and gives 110% every play. Also he didn't come to camp out of shape and be an embarssement to the team......... just my :2cents:

HUNT4SEVEN
10-06-2008, 12:16 PM
It just goes to show you what real Depth looks like:tt02:, great job Hoke:cope: he was playin like somebody on the Jackoffs owed him money:lol:

steelerfan11
10-06-2008, 12:21 PM
The only problem with Hoke is his age. Isn't he in his 30s? Anyway to answer the initial question by blitzburghpete, I would agree. Play more 4-3. Having both Hampton and Hoke on the line at the same time would make Qbs scared and the OL would just fall apart. They would have to double team both Hampton and Hoke = more sacks by Woodley and Harrison :)

BlitzburghRockCity
10-06-2008, 01:19 PM
The Steelers do run the 43 defense at various times on any given week depending on what personnel are on the field, it's just another wrinkle that Lebeau has in his arsenal for us.

It's refreshing to see our depth stepping up this year, Roye is a big part of that too. Both he and Travis are really getting after the QB with that push up the middle.

TEEMONT
10-06-2008, 03:30 PM
Hoke is just a big Mormon beast...he will crush your life, and then tell you how nice you look today.

Gettysburgh_Steel
10-06-2008, 03:41 PM
Hoke is definately an asset to our team.Do not take the "big snack" lightly either. If we could put them both on the line at the same time,i agree,the oposing offense would have some serious issues.Especially if we did it in real time,after the game is started. Bet the offense didn't prepare for that.....kind of deal! Kind of a variation of the 43.:tt02:

K Train
10-06-2008, 03:59 PM
you dont put both on the field at the same time when you have 4 linebackers like we do, the more LBs on the field for us the better, we dont need 2 big guys in the middle most of the time.

im pretty sure that we are now 14-0 with hoke starting for casey, ive said all along that our dline is fine as long as smith is there

JB 67
10-06-2008, 04:58 PM
It goes under the radar a lot but Chris Hoke is quietly becoming a force on the defence.

Do you remember our 15-1 season when Hampton was out for the year and we had Hoke come in and play - Never once did any of us shout " if only hampton was here "

Last night against the run heavy Jags, did any of you think " i wish Hampton was playing " ? Nope

I'm not saying Hampton is rubbish - far from it, he 's class and a pro bowler - what i am asking is how do you think we should utilize Hoke's obvious ability ?

More 4 - 3 defences
Rotation with Hampton

Me - I think whilst we have this man's talent use some more 4-3 defences on 1st down. I agree and it seems like Hoke is playing at a much higher level than Fat Casey maybe he actually works out in the Off season :cope:

Richmond Rukus
10-08-2008, 10:31 AM
Good 3-4 Nose Tackles are not easy to come by in this league, and we are lucky enough to have 2 of them. To the few that wouldn't mind seeing him go, and his salary used elsewhere, I believe you would be singing a different tune if Hoke ended up getting injured, with no real 3-4 NT with experience to take his place. I think Hampton will count for a little over 4.5M next year. Given today's cap, it's far from cheap, but in no way a salary cap buster. Not to mention we should be somewhere around 15-20 mil under the cap next season. I'm no cap expert, but that is what I understand from others who know much more than I.

Blitzburghpete
10-08-2008, 01:54 PM
i know you got the injury issue to deal with should one of them get hurt, i'm just saying every one in a while get them both in to gether in a 4 -3 defence especially on a 1st down play.

Richmond Rukus
10-08-2008, 02:39 PM
i know you got the injury issue to deal with should one of them get hurt, i'm just saying every one in a while get them both in to gether in a 4 -3 defence especially on a 1st down play.

I understand what you're saying. I was referring to others opinions of letting Hampton walk due to Hoke's play.

It would be interesting seeing a OL deal with both of those men on the interior at the same time. Particularly, as someone else stated, if they hadn't seen it before. Whether it will happen or not? You never know.

ejsteeler
10-08-2008, 02:44 PM

More 4 - 3 defences
Rotation with Hampton

Me - I think whilst we have this man's talent use some more 4-3 defences on 1st down.

You make perfect sense, but I do not like going to more 4-3 sets and taking our very versitile LB's out to let him in. Rotation is the best in my mind. :yesnod:

ward86steelers
10-08-2008, 03:13 PM
I know Hoke is a NT but why not TRY him at defensive end. I mean Smith, Hampton, and Hoke followed by four blitzing LB's would worry any qb. The only worry i would have is Hoke not being fast enough to contain run plays and such. I dont think it would hurt us to try, we just need to wait until they're all healthy and have a big lead. We could try it against the bengals after the bye week.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-11-2008, 06:02 PM
Hoke isn't built to play defensive end, you need to have decent speed and the ability to cut inside and out of blockers when you line up in the 43 defense. Chris does an awesome job at NT and he's the perfectly size for his position. He can hold his own against any Center the league and is more than capable of occupying a double team as well. We're fortunate to have him and Casey on the team at the same time and we really don't miss much of a beat with Hoke in there. It will be nice to have Hampton back though so we can get our rotation going again and keep these guys fresh.

jpele
10-11-2008, 08:13 PM
Hoke is a good player and can hold his own, but there is no was you let Hampton go before we use him up. Could you imagine having to face Casey twice a year ? If we were to cut him there's no doubt in my mind someone from our division would offer him a bundle.

BlitzburghNation
10-11-2008, 08:24 PM
Hoke isn't built to play defensive end, you need to have decent speed and the ability to cut inside and out of blockers when you line up in the 43 defense. Chris does an awesome job at NT and he's the perfectly size for his position. He can hold his own against any Center the league and is more than capable of occupying a double team as well. We're fortunate to have him and Casey on the team at the same time and we really don't miss much of a beat with Hoke in there. It will be nice to have Hampton back though so we can get our rotation going again and keep these guys fresh.

:ditto:
Hats off to Hoke ,,,,,, He done a great job in the jags game !

franktillo
10-11-2008, 09:43 PM
Substitute Hoke and Hampton in and out of the game. Give Hampton 60% of the snaps, and give Hoke the other 40%. This will keep them both fresh, and will give different looks to the defense. The Steelers already employ a mix of defensive schemes, and putting both on the field is part of that. There are times that I feel they do not play Hoke enough, but it is fine, as long as the D is doing it's thing. As for his age, Hoke is getting up there in years, I think this is his 11th year? He is a very capable fill-in, but he is not someone who I would hang my hat on for years to come.

Blitzburghpete
10-12-2008, 02:46 PM
Hoke was born in 1976 and this is his 8th year in the league.

How about a 3 - 4 line up but have

Smith , Hampton , Hoke ( with Hoke hampton over the guards )
then J harrison standing up on the line at the end position like Greg Lloyd used to do . So your never quite sure if there are gonna be 3 / 4 coming from the line.

Yes i know it means 2 NT in a 3-4 But i'd take Hoke's skills and dominace over Kirsche / Kiesel anyday.

portcityblackandgold
10-13-2008, 05:45 PM
I'm liking the 43 with Hamp and Hoke on the field, just another wrinkle to confuse our opponents:tt02: