PDA

View Full Version : Steelers currently the #2 seed in the AFC heading into the bye week...

Troyisabeast_43
10-06-2008, 02:37 AM
I know it's a bit too early to be looking at seeding and playoff positioning but what the hell it is what it is and we are allowed too as fans and I know I definitely am going too. The Steelers have the same 4-1 record right now as the Bills and Broncos but by virtue of having a better conference record then the both of those teams with the Steelers being 4-0 and the Bills being 2-0 and the Broncos being 2-1 they currently hold the tiebraker and the number 2 seed. The Steelers really have set themselves up well here after the bye week having a game against Cincy which should push them to 5-1 and 5-0 in the conference to keep pace with a team like Tennessee for the remainder of the season. Now I know people will still say we gotta focus on winning the AFC North. But if you look at the Ravens schedule they have some very tough road games coming up. They got games at Indy next week who is going to win a game at home at some point, and the Miami Dolphins on the road who have looked very good the last 2 games beating the Pats and the Chargers. So should the Steelers take care of business in Cincy in 2 weeks and the Ravens drop these 2 games or even one of the two at bests it puts the Ravens at 3-3 and the Steelers at 5-1 and virtually 3 games ahead of the Ravens still with the head to head tiebraker in hand.

The bottom line is the Steelers have a lot of home football coming up after this game in Cincy having 5 of their next 7 games at home with the only road trip they make between November 3rd after the Redskins game and December 14th will be to New England on November 30th. I know for a fact the Titans will not have that many home games in that stretch and will have to go on the road a lot in between now and then. So if the Steelers keep winning and take care of their own business they are going to be in very good shape to be right there come November to compete for homefield advantage and that bye week. Because that in the big picture of things is really what matters in the end more so then winning this division. It's time to start looking ahead to that I think it's fair to say after this win tonight in Jacksonville and the Bengals due up next.

Black@Gold Forever32
10-06-2008, 02:46 AM
Troy you always do a nice job of breaking down the schedule and agree with your post...I hate just looking to far ahead....I use to that all the time...Only to be disappointed so I take the one game at a time approach...But like I said I do agree with your post....With Brady out for the year the AFC is wide open....If the Steelers don't suffer many more injuries then they should be in the hunt.........I have no worries about the Steelers playing the Titans...I know Jeff Fisher has a very good record against the Steelers but the only player they have on offense is Chris Johnson....Nobody on that offense besides him scares me...

Zachintosh66
10-06-2008, 09:22 AM
Yeah I just glanced at the schedule again... i think we could honestly be. 12-4/11-5 IF WE CAN GET HEALTHY!

HUNT4SEVEN
10-06-2008, 11:55 AM
We just have to play smart ball an win the games we are suppose to win:yellowthumb:, our defense is winning games for us:tt02: an our Special Teams u have to show them some love they have been playing there butts off:clap::clap:, darnell Stapelton looked good last night hopefully they can get the O-line together an the play calling together durning this bye week, those are the only two areas i see an problem:imho:an we are gonna need the both of them to be at there best when we come off our bye week:yellowthumb: GO STEELERS!!!!!!

ToothAche
10-06-2008, 12:01 PM
Yeah I just glanced at the schedule again... i think we could honestly be. 12-4/11-5 IF WE CAN GET HEALTHY!

12-4? 11-5? That's playoff talk fella!!!! :cope:

BlitzburghRockCity
10-06-2008, 01:16 PM
Right now we've put ourselves in the best situation possible to succeed but we're heading into the toughest part of the season after the Cincy game and it's not going to get any easier so we need to take advantage of all these home games coming up and win as many as possible. Cleveland and Cincy are a disaster and in dire straights right now, and the Ratbirds will continue to be inconsistent on offense as Flacco works his way thru his rookie year.

So far we've weathered the first storm with all the injuries and now we can heal up and get ready for a tough road but so far we're in about as good a position as you could ask for in the AFC...I just hope we don't squander it like we do most other years.

DIESELMAN
10-06-2008, 01:53 PM
As we all know, the road to the AFC North title has always been and always will be through Pittsburgh. The Bungholes, Ratbirds and Shitstains have always been and will always be one year wonders who can't handle the pressure of having 1 good year out of 10. We do have a tough schedule but like you guys have already said, one game at a time. The bye week is coming up, we can heal some of our wounds, keep practicing hard and we'll see who is tough enough at the end of the year.

steelerschick1220
10-07-2008, 12:35 PM
I would love to get the second seed!!!! We need to stop having so many injuries, though. I honestly don't think that our schedule is as tough as we originally thought and I couldd see us going 12-4 with it, maybe even beter.

Richmond Rukus
10-07-2008, 06:17 PM
Couple things I noticed over the first quarter of the season. First, the obvious, the OL is as bad as anticipated, maybe worse. They did play better last week, and stapleton didn't look bad, and surely to be an upgrade. Now if we can find a way to either shift, or replace Colon.

Special team, particularly kick coverage, has been a pleasant surprise. This has been an area that has killed the Steelers for quite some time.

Last, the DL depth is better than I anticipated. Kirschke has played admirably in Keisels absence. I will eat crow on that one. I was not big on Kirschke for depth. I'm still not sure we could afford to lose Smith, but he played well with both Keisel and Eason out.

We are deep at RB, even with Mendy gone for the year. I really like the way both Moore and Russell ran. Now if we could just get a true FB. Not sure what McHugh could do in that area, but he can't be any worse than Davis.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-07-2008, 06:33 PM
Stapleton is a breath of fresh air for the line. As he gets more experience he may very well prove to be a welcome addition to the line and fill in nicely. He played pretty decent vs the Jags plus he has the benefit of the bye week to continue working on his skills as we head into our tough stretch in the coming weeks.

Troyisabeast_43
10-07-2008, 07:04 PM
Stapleton is a breath of fresh air for the line. As he gets more experience he may very well prove to be a welcome addition to the line and fill in nicely. He played pretty decent vs the Jags plus he has the benefit of the bye week to continue working on his skills as we head into our tough stretch in the coming weeks.

I completely agree with you there TG. Now I know it's a little early to speculate but maybe Kendall Simmons has been the weak link and the problem on this o-line this whole time. Ever since Stapleton was inserted into the game on the Monday night against Baltimore, and of course the other night when he started against the Jags the sacks have decreased, and the pass protection is much much better. Only time will tell I guess if this indeed is the case especially once we face two pretty good defenses in the Giants and Redskins back to back weeks after the Bengals game. Good news also is Marvel Smith is expected to be fine and was only removed from the game late in the 3rd Sunday night due to dehydration. So he should be up and ready to go as well after the bye week. I really do believe that this o-line is really going to start to play a lot better as the weeks go on. And if that indeed does happen and Ben has the time to throw the ball and run the no huddle this Steelers team is going to be very very tough to beat.

steelerschick1220
10-07-2008, 10:06 PM
I have been pretty impressed with Stapleton in Simmons absence. I think that he has done a great job. Maybe it just took some time for our oline to gell for them to start playing well. Who knows.