PDA

View Full Version : Notable Steelers from the '80s?

DBR96A
10-03-2008, 07:43 PM
Who do you guys think were the best, most fondly-remembered, and most controversial players from the '80s? I'm talking about those players who were among the best in the league, those who were "cult heroes" in Pittsburgh, and those who polarized the fan base, and made people either love them or hate them. Just trying to get the opinions of some of the older fans, since I didn't really start following the Steelers until the 1993 season.

TEEMONT
10-03-2008, 08:01 PM
Bryan Mother****ing Hinkle

Stairwayto7
10-03-2008, 08:12 PM
Hinkle is a good one. Louis Lipps never had a QB or he would have been a good one.

TEEMONT
10-03-2008, 08:14 PM
All I'm gonna say about Hinkle is that Lambert was the Hinkle of the 70's

Stlrs4Life
10-04-2008, 12:15 AM
Yancey Thigpen.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-04-2008, 01:48 AM
Yancy, man he was the go to guy for Kordell..that dude could make some circus catches and he came out of nowhere. then he bolted to the Titans was it and kinda fizzled out.

80's guys on the Steelers, who could forget Bubby :lol: or better yet who could forget the bazillion times NBC camera's would pan out to show his mom in the stands!

AZ_Steeler
10-04-2008, 02:28 AM
80's Steelers: Louis Lipps, Tim Worley and good ole Mark Malone :lol:

Clevelandsux
10-04-2008, 03:48 AM
Mike Merriweather, Walter Abercrombie. How about Tunch Ilkin and Craig Wolfley? Earnest Jackson!!!! Keith Gary. Frank Pollard!!!!

LarryNJ
10-04-2008, 05:08 AM
I'm talking about those players who were among the best in the league, those who were "cult heroes" in Pittsburgh, and those who polarized the fan base, and made people either love them or hate them.

I can't think of one player from the 80's like that. The Steelers pretty much sucked the entire decade. What I most remember about the 80's is the demise of the Steelers and Pittsburgh. The mills were laying off 10,000+ people at a time, occasionally someone would get called back to work for a few weeks only to lose their job again one by one theyfinally closed forever. I turned 20 in 1980 and like thousands of others left the area for jobs in other parts of the country in the 80's. (I did return for the 90's only to leave again.) Altough we left the city we never waivered in our support of the Steelers. The DC, NoVa Md Fla Az NC Southern Ca Atlanta Texas were all booming areas and Western Pa. people fled there for jobs. Steeler bars started poping up all over the country. Our love and enthusiasm soon started to convert people from these areas into Steeler fans and the Steelers became America's true team.

One for the Thumb in 81 was the slogan, if did happen just not in 81 or as quick as we would have liked! :) Slowly the great players of the 70's left. You knew it was over when Franco held out and Chuck Noll said to a reporter "Franco who? I never heard of him." or something similar to that. Passing up the chance to draft Marino and taking some big lineman who was in a car accident before he ever played a game. (If he did he didn't play many) Strike season filled with a team of players no one ever heard of. Except for the few who crossed the line. Maybe Mike Webster???

The Great father of the Steelers a true gentleman in everyones book. The Chief passed away in the 80's.

Just so all you youngins know how bad the 80's were we started off the last season of the decade by losing to the Cleveland Browns 51! Yes 51 friggin point to 0! Just to make matters worse it was in 3 Rivers.

WoodsonsGirl
10-04-2008, 10:11 AM
Rod Woodson :banana:

Moondog
10-04-2008, 11:42 AM
What about Weegie Thompson? What a name!

I remember the 89 season when the Steelers started off getting killed by the Browns and Bengals in their first two games, but then turned it around and made a wildcard playoff push where they beat the Oilers in the first round and then gave the Broncos everything they could handle at Mile High. Merril Hoge was a man posessed in that game, man, he was on fire. I remember feeling proud of their effort that year, they overcame alot.

Clevelandsux
10-04-2008, 04:22 PM
The 80's were a mediocre decade. It started off in 1980 finishing 9-7 and not making the playoffs after winning our 4th SB after the '79 season. We made the playoffs 4 times in the 80's.However it was not completely terrible. The 1984 team finished 9-7 won the AFC Central, upset the 49ers, and Raiders in the regular season (the 49ers only lost that game all year). Then they upset the 13-3 Broncos in the playoffs before losing to the Dolphins iun the AFC Championship. The '89 team got outscored 92-10 in there first two games, but rallied to make the playoffs. They upset Houston in the wildcard playoff, and came close to upsetting eventual AFC Champion Denver.

The 80's were a transitional decade. Many of our great players from the 70's were in the twilight of there careers. There was no free agency yet, so you had to build through the draft. After drafting so high for so many years, it caught up with us.

Summary of the 80's
1980 9-7 missed playoff for first time in 9 years.Stallworth breaks leg in opener.

1981 8-8 lost last 3 games, Bradshaw gets injured. Joe Greene retires after season.

1982 6-3 strike season. Open up with win vs Dallas on MNF. Lose to Chargers in first round of playoffs. Lynn Swann and Jack Ham retire after season.

1983 10-6. Win Afc Central. Start out 9-2, but finish 1-4 down the stretch. Bradshaw misses most of the season. Leads team to win vs Jets. Plays one half. Lose to Raiders 38-10 in first round. Bradshaw retires after season.

1984 9-7. Win AFC Central. Cut Franco Harris in training camp. Mark Malone leads team to playoffs. Louis Lipps is an outstanding rookie, while Stallworth has best year in career.
Upset 49ers, Raiders. Beat Broncos in playoffs, lose to miami in AFC C game. But, lost to lowly Indy, Houston and Cleveland during season. Lambert retires after season.

1985 7-9. First losing season since 1971.

1986 6-10. The three Rivers jinx is broken. Earnest Jackson leads team in rushing.

1987 8-7. Lose last two games and miss playoffs. Blow out 49ers in opener 30-17. Draft Woodson and Lloyd, Merrill Hoge. Strike season, 3 scab games (2-1 scabs 6-6 regulars). Stallworth and Donnie Shell retire after season.

1988 5-11. Worst season since 1969. Started out 2-10. Upset Houston. Draft Dermonti Dawson. Mike Webster retires. Bubby Bristers first year as starter.

1989 9-7. Lose 51-0 and 41-10 to the Browns and Bengals respectively to start season. Later beat Cleveland. This team was shut out 3 times. But, the rallied and made playoffs.
Beat Houston then lost to Denver.Draft Carnell Lake and Tim Worley.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-04-2008, 06:24 PM
Dwight "hands of" Stone..man that guy could fly but couldn't catch a cold!

Clevelandsux
10-04-2008, 06:53 PM
How about Harvey Clayton? Arguably the worst DB ever to play in the NFL>

SteelerSal
10-04-2008, 07:54 PM
Hoge, Woodruff, Hinkle, Little, Delton "Hitman" Hall, Lipps, Woodson, DJ Johnson, Thomas Everett, Bubby, Merriweather, Tunch.

BlacknGold Bleeder
10-04-2008, 10:10 PM
All I'm gonna say about Hinkle is that Lambert was the Hinkle of the 70's

I have heard you say some crazy things, but the only way they compare is they played the same position. Don't get me wrong, I liked Hinkle he was good, but he never played with the mean streak and pure disdain for opponents that Lambert did.:2cents:

Clevelandsux
10-04-2008, 11:03 PM
The late david little played from 1981-92. hinkle was a solid lb, but never comparable to lambert. lupe sanchez?

------------------------------------------------------------
[AutoMerged Post Below]
------------------------------------------------------------
rick woods

MDSteel15
10-04-2008, 11:52 PM
Hoge, Woodruff, Hinkle, Little, Delton "Hitman" Hall, Lipps, Woodson, DJ Johnson, Thomas Everett, Bubby, Merriweather, Tunch.

This is a nice list.... BUt why can't Stallworth, Webster and Shell be on here since they were on the team most of the 80's?

Stairwayto7
10-05-2008, 01:24 PM
Rich Erenberg