PDA

View Full Version : Steelers vs. Jags

JensK
10-02-2008, 03:53 PM
I've never seen this page before, nor have i heard of it. Never the less, its a really really nice resume of the upcomming game, with all the history behind these matches.

http://www.profootballhof.com/ThrowbackGOW_PIT_at_JAC.jsp

BlitzburghNation
10-02-2008, 05:16 PM
Nice Read,,,,,,,,:bigthumb:

It will be another old school brawl :towelwave:

BlitzburghRockCity
10-02-2008, 06:24 PM
I can still see Cowher almost jumping out on the field when we had that FG blocked and they Jags returned it for a TD to end the game. The Jags vs. Steelers is always a crazy game things just never seem to go like you think they will regardless of what the teams records are.

Stlrs4Life
10-03-2008, 06:35 PM
I still think of that also TG.

Stlrs4Life
10-04-2008, 12:13 AM
Leftwich: Steelers always a big deal to Jaguars
10/1/2008, 7:21 p.m. ET
By ALAN ROBINSON
The Associated Press
http://www.cleveland.com/sportsflash...ylist=football (http://www.cleveland.com/sportsflash/football/index.ssf?/base/sports-19/122290254516650.xml&storylist=football)

PITTSBURGH (AP) Byron Leftwich feels so different wearing Steelers black and gold rather than Jaguars teal and black for one of the AFC's best rivalry games, he called former teammate Marcus Stroud to ask, "Hey, did you feel this way, too?"

Like Leftwich, Stroud was a longtime Jaguars player who also needed to shift loyalties after going to Buffalo.

"He said it was weird as hell for him, too," Leftwich said Wednesday. "I'm quite sure it's going to feel funny on Sunday, being on the other side, But it's a situation where you've got to deal with it they've moved on, I've moved on."

What hasn't moved on is the Steelers-Jaguars rivalry, one that occurs nearly as often as it did when the teams were in the former AFC Central together from 1995-2001.

The teams meet Sunday for the third time since December and the sixth time since 2004 and, as usual, the game will be important to both. The Steelers (3-1) want to stay atop the AFC North heading into their bye week; the Jaguars don't want to slip to 2-3 in the AFC South, where Tennessee is off to a 4-0 start.

Leftwich, Ben Roethlisberger's backup in Pittsburgh, won two of his three starts against the Steelers with Jacksonville from 2003-06. The Jaguars let him go last year after coach Jack Del Rio chose David Garrard as his starter, and Leftwich later played three games for Atlanta before signing with Pittsburgh in August.

"It came down to a guy believing in another guy and nothing's wrong with that," Leftwich said of his Jacksonville departure. "Sometimes a coach wants a certain quarterback leading his football team and that's fine. I never thought I was his (Del Rio's) guy, from the beginning."

It's hard to argue with the decision. Garrard led Jacksonville to an 11-5 record, the second round of the playoffs and two wins in Pittsburgh in a month's time, including a 31-29 wild-card playoff victory in January.

Jacksonville became the first team to win in Pittsburgh twice in a season, and Leftwich said the Jaguars' success against a team they have long emulated reflects how much they put into playing the Steelers.

Del Rio points to Pittsburgh as a model franchise, and the Jaguars mirror the Steelers like no other team with their emphasis on a strong running game and a physical style of play. Last season, the nomenclature "Steelers of the South" was frequently given to the Jaguars.

No wonder the Jaguars have won their past four against the Steelers, and six of the past nine_ as Leftwich said, nobody needs to tell the Jaguars when it's Pittsburgh week.

"The coaches are going to make sure they're ready to play Sunday," Leftwich said. "For them, it's not like it is with the Steelers. You don't get to be on national TV every week. They (the Jaguars) are going to be up and they're going to try to come out and play well so everybody can see they're a good team."

Given Leftwich's extensive knowledge of Jacksonville's playbook and system, he would seem to be an asset given the Steelers' short week of preparation. The Steelers beat Baltimore 23-20 in overtime Monday night, only to return to their practice complex a few hours later to start working on Jacksonville.

"I've already talked to him," Roethlisberger said. "The whole first (quarterbacks) meeting, I was asking him who he knows, what he knows, little tidbits about each guy. It's a big help to have him here."

Given how frequently the teams play and the detailed scouting reports, Leftwich wonders how big a help he can be unless he plays in Jacksonville.

"This is the third meeting (since December) and especially because they played in the playoffs, if you play a playoff game, the scouting is so great that you know just about everything about the opposing team," Leftwich said. "I'm quite sure I don't have anything top secret they don't already know."

What concerns the Steelers is playing another physical opponent so soon after losing right guard Kendall Simmons and first-round draft pick Rashard Mendenhall to season-ending injuries against Baltimore.

Until they added running backs Najeh Davenport and Gary Russell on Wednesday, the Steelers were down to one healthy running back.

"Back to back, that's what the schedule's put on us," wide receiver Hines Ward said. "We played Monday night and we've got to travel down to Jacksonville and it's going to be another physical game. We know it, but they know it as well."

Copyright 2008 Associated Press. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
2008 cleveland.com All Rights Reserved.

AZ_Steeler
10-04-2008, 03:56 AM
Let's just hope Leftwich worked the Steelers defense real good this week! :bigthumb:

LarryNJ
10-04-2008, 05:22 AM
What I think of is a Monday night game the Jagoffs were on about the 10 and some idiot Steeler CB (because it's 4:00 am the name escapes me) was playing in the endzone 10 yards off the reciever (who was probably Jimmy Smith) The entire country except the Steelers D watched Brunell point over at the wideout to run a slant. Boom instant TD.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-04-2008, 08:10 PM
Leftwich is really fitting in well with us, it would be great to go down to Jax and get a win not only for the team of course but also for alittle revenge for him.. :reddevil:

Stairwayto7
10-05-2008, 01:27 PM
Leftwich is really fitting in well with us, it would be great to go down to Jax and get a win not only for the team of course but also for alittle revenge for him.. :reddevil:

I disagree somewhat, I`ve seen nothing in Leftwich yet, he throws everything too hard. I`m not impressed at all.

BlitzburghNation
10-05-2008, 02:38 PM
Lets just hope leftwich gets to watch the hole season :crossfingers:

But he must've really impressed our staff,,,,,,,:scratch:
By them putting Batch on I/R for a broken collar bone :dunno:

Far as him throwing the ball too hard,,,,,,,That's just his style and i'm fine with it as long as it thrown to our WR's :popcorn:
WR's that played with farve never complained,,,,,,,Lets just hope we never need him pray:

BlitzburghRockCity
10-05-2008, 09:06 PM
I disagree somewhat, I`ve seen nothing in Leftwich yet, he throws everything too hard. I`m not impressed at all.

There's an article on the PG that talks about Tomlin saying how impressed he is with Byron both in the locker room and also on the field. He may not have had the playing time in a game situation for us and hopefully we wont need him at all but it's good to know the coaches have confidence in him if need be.

SteelersWoman
10-14-2008, 07:24 AM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/news/mostread/s_591960.html

By John Harris (jharris@tribweb.com)
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Steelers' Pro Bowl linebacker James Harrison sat in front of his locker late Sunday night, tugging off his soiled uniform and looking anything but pleased following a hard-fought 26-21 win against Jacksonville.

Harrison had other things on his mind; namely, if he would be fined by the league for a roughing the passer penalty called against him in the fourth quarter.

"Coach, I need your help," said Harrison, motioning toward coach Mike Tomlin.
Tomlin, believing that Harrison was referring to a problem with his uniform, said he couldn't help. But when Harrison told Tomlin he was concerned about the penalty, Tomlin said not to worry.

"Don't question the call," Tomlin said. "Don't worry about the call."

It was a different Tomlin who strode around happily in the visiting locker room after the Steelers improved to 4-1 and snapped a four-game losing streak against the Jaguars.

As usual, Tomlin attempted to shield his true feelings from reporters in the postgame news conference, booming one cliche after another about this being just another game.

Nobody believed him.

Normally, Tomlin already has spoken with players individually at their lockers before reporters are permitted to enter the locker room following a game. However, Tomlin's upbeat demeanor Sunday night was a clear departure from his normal behavior.

Clearly, this was a special win.

"Man, I love them all, truth be known. This is the most satisfying win because this is the one you are feeling right now," Tomlin said. "This is a great team win."

Because of injuries to starters Casey Hampton and Brett Keisel on defense and Willie Parker and Kendall Simmons on offense, along with other key contributors not being healthy enough to play, Tomlin challenged his players as they practiced for Jacksonville, a team that defeated the Steelers twice last season.

Tomlin reminded them that a 4-1 record going into their bye week would feel much better than a 3-2 record.

"We had a statement, 'The more you can do,' and we called on a lot of people to do that," Tomlin said. "Guys stepped outside their lines and delivered, delivered big."

Tomlin also spoke about the Steelers being underdogs against an opponent they hadn't defeated since 2004. Nose tackle Chris Hoke said the players took Tomlin's words seriously and accepted them as their own.

"We talked about it. This is a big win going into the bye week," Hoke said. "We get two weeks now to rest and heal up.

"They put us as underdogs," said Hoke, Hampton's replacement, who was part of a defense that limited Jacksonville to 38 yards rushing. "We feel like we're a pretty good team. To come down here and be an underdog fired us up."

"Nobody believed in us," said receiver Nate Washington, who had his best game of the season with six receptions for 94 yards and a 48-yard touchdown catch from Ben Roethlisbeger in the second quarter. "But we believed in ourselves."

Sounds like Mike is doin (and sayin) all he can to get the guys ready and fired up to play :helmet: