Iron City South
09-30-2008, 11:32 AM
Can't say I'm surprised ....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08274/916247-66.stm

Steelers bringing back Davenport
Tuesday, September 30, 2008
By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers have brought back running back Najeh Davenport with the intention of signing him to their 53-man roster to replace injured rookie Rashard Mendenhall, who is out for the remainder of the season with a fractured shoulder.

Davenport was brought in for a workout today and, if all goes well, he will probably be signed and get ready to play in Sunday's game in Jacksonville.

Davenport, 29, played two seasons with the Steelers until he was released in June. He started the final game of the regular season and the playoff loss to the Jaguars last season when Willie Parker fractured his fibula in Week 15.

Mendenhall was injured on the first play of the second half when he was hit by Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis after a 3-yard gain. The Steelers finished the game with just one healthy running back -- Mewelde Moore -- after Carey Davis left the game with a sprained ankle.

More details in tomorrow's Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

AZ_Steeler
09-30-2008, 12:02 PM
Dookie did decent last year when they called on him... I would have like to seen SA given a shot though :dunno:

LatrobePA
09-30-2008, 12:13 PM
Quick fix, he knows the system and I think he can block pretty well. We'll see, and we'll be OK!!

TEEMONT
09-30-2008, 12:15 PM
I woul dmuch rather have Dookie over Alexander. I dunno why I didn't even think of him earlier. He knows our system, and Alexander is a pussy.

AZ_Steeler
09-30-2008, 12:18 PM
I woul dmuch rather have Dookie over Alexander. I dunno why I didn't even think of him earlier. He knows our system, and Alexander is a pussy.

I'm sure that's what it comes down to... who knows the system and can step in and be ready to suit up Sunday night!

Dean Denton
09-30-2008, 12:44 PM
I live in Seattle, and I can tell you with the way our OL is playing, this is not a good fit for Shaun Alexander. He would have to get thoughs tough yards, and he cant do that. He would end up being another RB in IR. Jax would snap his back like a twig....Call the Bus....lol

jpele
09-30-2008, 01:03 PM
.Call the Bus....lol

He's why our line is in the condition it is. Jerome didn't need blockers, he made his own holes,so the coaching staff never realized our line was bad.

I'd take Bettis in a heartbeat,even after sitting out for 2 years

ARKIESTEEL
09-30-2008, 01:19 PM
DOOKIES BACK yes .............. mainly I just like saying dookie

HUNT4SEVEN
09-30-2008, 01:30 PM
It makes since because he knows the system, i just hope he's n shape:crossfingers::2cents:

TEEMONT
09-30-2008, 01:56 PM
He's why our line is in the condition it is. Jerome didn't need blockers, he made his own holes,so the coaching staff never realized our line was bad.

I'd take Bettis in a heartbeat,even after sitting out for 2 years

Are you being serious? He never made his own holes. All he did was push the line forward a bit, of the blockers didn't make him a hole. Jerome YPC was like 3.8 fo rhis career and he only had over 4 YPC in a season 4 times. Bettis had great lines typically.

Dean Denton
09-30-2008, 02:01 PM
Are you being serious? He never made his own holes. All he did was push the line forward a bit, of the blockers didn't make him a hole. Jerome YPC was like 3.8 fo rhis career and he only had over 4 YPC in a season 4 times. Bettis had great lines typically. Yeah, thats about right. Our line went bad the day Jeff Hartings retired. I'm saying it from the cheap seats....WE NEED A CENTER. That is the clue that holds the OL together. Look at the sacks after SB XL. We did great with these guys, but we had Hartings. Tomlin had to know this, and thats why Fanaca was cut loose. It didn't matter without the center...

MOTORKRAFT
09-30-2008, 02:37 PM
I want to see Gary Russell get some playing time. Davenport doesn't run hard, is not fast, and will get killed behind this line.

Dean Denton
09-30-2008, 03:17 PM
I want to see Gary Russell get some playing time. Davenport doesn't run hard, is not fast, and will get killed behind this line. He didn't get killed last year, and its pretty much the same line. Coach will go with whoever is playing better. I hope its Russell because that would be a new change of pace,and maybe we have something really great there. Sometimes players just need to get into a game to shine. could it be that Russell is the savior we have been looking for? We will see Sunday night...

Zachintosh66
09-30-2008, 04:00 PM
:banging:

LarryNJ
09-30-2008, 04:08 PM
i just hope he's n shape:crossfingers::2cents:

I doubt that he will be this week but he should be after the bye.

Troyisabeast_43
09-30-2008, 05:04 PM
I want to see Gary Russell get some playing time. Davenport doesn't run hard, is not fast, and will get killed behind this line.

I'd like to see Russell get the start too because the Jags dont know much about him and he is a tough hard-nose runner and has some speed. I also think Melwelde Moore is capable of handling the job as well. He has started numerous times when he played for the Vikings, so from an experience factor you gotta believe that he will get the call to be the guy Sunday in Jacksonville.

Iron City South
09-30-2008, 05:42 PM
Looks like I'm forced to bring it out of retirement .... :thinking:

http://bigcartel.com/account/10967/990005/The-Dump-Gold-on-black-tee.jpg

BlitzburghRockCity
09-30-2008, 05:43 PM
Davenport is a serviceable guy, if he gets some blocking he can do an ok job. Im really anxious to see Russel though. He's young and is still learning but he runs hard and he can catch as well. I really hope we bring him in and honestly there should be no reason we don't.

Clevelandsux
09-30-2008, 06:24 PM
The big pooper is back!

steelcityrockers
09-30-2008, 08:04 PM

I agree. He is a 250 pound scat back. I hate him for that. By the way, he isn't necessarily slow either. He once ran a 4.35 40. Can he do that now? No not at all, but he is serviceable and I have no big issues with this signing.

ToothAche
09-30-2008, 08:27 PM
It makes since because he knows the system, i just hope he's n shape:crossfingers::2cents:

Round is a shape isnt it?

GoBenGo
09-30-2008, 08:40 PM
...formula44 is a welcome addition...but russell , imho, is ready to take it to the next level...
...seriously , dudes, the bus???common tater life has probably cushioned him a bit...can he hike it?

..where is the ram's jackson at in his contract...he's a horse who aint happy...

------------------------------------------------------------
[AutoMerged Post Below]
------------------------------------------------------------

Looks like I'm forced to bring it out of retirement .... :thinking:

http://bigcartel.com/account/10967/990005/The-Dump-Gold-on-black-tee.jpg..cool tee ics:yellowthumb:

Forged in Steel
09-30-2008, 08:43 PM
Interesting...

Iron City South
09-30-2008, 08:57 PM
..cool tee ics:yellowthumb:

Thanks! Here's my new one ....

http://bigcartel.com/account/10967/990625/300.jpg

DanRooney
09-30-2008, 09:09 PM
Are you being serious? He never made his own holes. All he did was push the line forward a bit, of the blockers didn't make him a hole. Jerome YPC was like 3.8 fo rhis career and he only had over 4 YPC in a season 4 times. Bettis had great lines typically.

Only 3.8 yards He rarely ever got stopped in the backfield. He consistently moved the ball forward. Parker gets his 4+ average from his 10+ yard runs after getting stuffed for no or negative gains.

Black@Gold Forever32
09-30-2008, 10:31 PM
At this point in the season there isn't to many options out there so bringing in Davenport makes a ton of sense...He knows the system......

DanRooney
10-01-2008, 01:38 AM
Maybe now we'll stop with the shotgun formation on 3rd and 1.

Gettysburgh_Steel
10-02-2008, 11:46 PM
Most weapons can be pretty much effective if you use them properly. Yes, even a slingshot could prove to be lethal. The "Port" is back,and i for one welcome him. He has the chance to prove once and for all,that he is a viable back in this league. He has not taken the beating that most backs has had to endure.He must be relishing the moment.He must be used in the way that let his features excell. Special teams is one way. He can catch the ball out of the backfield also.He can return punts and kick-offs too. But.......a weapon ain't worth a damn if you don't know how to use it. Go "Port" glad to have you back!!!:tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02:: tt02::tt02:

DIESELMAN
10-03-2008, 09:57 AM
Its good to see Davenport back, he is multi dimensional and like you said Gettysburgh, a weapon is only as good as the man pulling the trigger. I sure hope he has been keeping in shape otherwise we won't see to much of him Sunday night.

Gettysburgh_Steel
10-03-2008, 03:35 PM
We will have to wait and see what his impact on this game will be,but i can see some type of impact coming from "The PORT". He is back and i love it. He has a lot to prove,not only to his self,but to the coaches that chose to let him go. They need him now,and he is there.If i was him i would make this a statement game. He could force us to rethink us letting him go anyway. 4.3 4.7 ypc ain't nothin to sneeze at. Use him and find out what you have. I hated to see him go,but i love that he is back!!!!His time is up,and he must step up NOW!!!!!!!Go Port!!!!!!!:tt02:

HUNT4SEVEN
10-03-2008, 04:00 PM
I'm glad Davenport is back also, i understand why they let him go also, because it was an number thing, but i'm glad he's back with us, i just hope he's in shape to tote the rock.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-03-2008, 06:14 PM
Najeh is a good 3rd down back and he can catch well out of the backfield plus he's pretty adept at picking up the blitz. He did play well vs the Rams last night but he was a victim of our crappy OL after that. I like the guy as a good backup and I really hoped he'd step up last year and spell Parker more but Tomlin didn't use him near enough and then when we needed him he was lacking in consistent game time with the starters.

He'll be a decent stop gap as a 3rd down back this year; once Willie comes back after the bye and assumes his starting role I would expect Moore to resume his 3rd down duties and Russel to see more action thus possibly leaving Davenport as a spare just in case.