PDA

View Full Version : Simmons done for the year... Stapleton & Essex compete for RG job

BlitzburghRockCity
09-30-2008, 01:46 AM
Simmons has either a broken ankle or an achilles injury but either way he's on IR. Looks like Stapleton is the man now and we need to find some more depth on the OL.

DBR96A
09-30-2008, 01:55 AM
Addition by subtraction?

Willie Colon has to pick up the slack and false-start more often.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-30-2008, 02:05 AM
Stapleton didn't do that bad so maybe he is able to step up and actually do something to help this group.

NCSteeler
09-30-2008, 03:38 AM
Sorry to see Simmons gone. We don't need to lose anymore Oline depth. We might be glad we paid Max all that money befroe it is all said and done.

AZ_Steeler
09-30-2008, 04:28 AM
Maybe this will be a blessing in disguise and the kind of shake up the line needed :pray:

Captcoolhand
09-30-2008, 08:01 AM
Maybe this will be a blessing in disguise and the kind of shake up the line needed :pray:
Agreed. The bright side of bringing in fresh young talent, You know that these guys are going to work for their pay and prove their worth.:2cents:

It's Official; Torn achilles..:duh:

jpele
09-30-2008, 08:50 AM
I'll have to watch the game again, but at first glance..it appears Stapleton held his own. I hate to say it but the only problem with Simmons' injury will be depth and false starts.

An ideal situation would be Stapelton becomes a star or they slide Colon to guard and put Starks at RT.

LatrobePA
09-30-2008, 09:45 AM

My thoughts exactly!

Iron City South
09-30-2008, 09:48 AM
Addition by subtraction?

Absolutely. :plus1:

Notice that the entire line looked better once Simmons was out?

BlackGold4vr
09-30-2008, 10:21 AM
With Rashard done for the year this will give Gary Russell another chance. They will also need to bring up another O-lineman and special teams player. How much longer will fast Willie be out?

Captcoolhand
09-30-2008, 10:26 AM
With Rashard done for the year this will give Gary Russell another chance. They will also need to bring up another O-lineman and special teams player. How much longer will fast Willie be out?
They are saying he may not play again this week so it's hard to say. :dunno:

Even when He does come back, i don't see this as a major improvement.

HUNT4SEVEN
09-30-2008, 11:22 AM
Well:imho:Stapelton looked real good when he filled n for Simmons, man i can't wait to see how he holds up against them Jackoffs next Sunday night:tt02:

BRICKTOWN BEAST
09-30-2008, 11:39 AM
Ok it's really time to move Colone to right gaurd where he belongs because I have no idea why this guy is playing T when hes ovbiousley a mualing guard with a mean strek thats where hes supposed to be. Max Starks may not be consistent but He'll do a hell of alot better then Colone. Starks has shown burst of greatest along with his inconsistansees and if the coach says this is his last chance hes not going to give up those big plays. I think this should solidify the line untill we draft a linemen in the first 2 rounds next year.

Also seeing Mclian running last night showed me flashbacksof the bus we really need a back like that. and Mendenhall didnt fumble which is good and ran hard which is great. Moore is awesome he won the game for us. and I'm still not sold about Davis but who's going to play Fullback McHogh?

TEEMONT
09-30-2008, 11:41 AM
I really wish I could talk to the coahces face to face, and find out why Colon was not put at RG last night, with Starks at RT.

Obviously there is a reason, and I sure as **** hope its a good one, b/c they are paying Max more than anyone else on the team this year. It is really driving me ****ing insane.

I like Stapleton and all, I just need to know....

DocHolliday1989
09-30-2008, 12:18 PM

I agree with ya also. I like the idea that maybe.. just maybe this will give this line some urgency to play better and I still think that Max Starks should still be in there playing at RT anyway. Why not move Willie Colon inside to G where he belongs anyway? Just my opinion, but I think it would work out for the better because Starks and Colon are veterans where Stapleton has not played very much at all.

------------------------------------------------------------
[AutoMerged Post Below]
------------------------------------------------------------

They are saying he may not play again this week so it's hard to say. :dunno:

Even when He does come back, i don't see this as a major improvement.

[B][I]Dont know what you been watching .. but Willie Parker is the best RB the Steelers have on their roster.... hands down!

SteelfordWexler
09-30-2008, 12:40 PM
Colon hasn't played much guard - even in camp they never really lined him up there. Also, I doubt they will want to make more than one change to the lineup due to Simmon's injury. Continuity is important for these guys. Apparently, communication is difficult for them.

Dean Denton
09-30-2008, 01:00 PM
I crapped myslf when I saw this thread because its early in the morning, and I thought it said Timmons...I thought, God, it wasn't Bo Jackson that ran him over, was it?....lol

Clevelandsux
09-30-2008, 06:16 PM
Notice that once Simmons went out, we did not give up anymore sacks? Simmons sucks. He's the weak link of that line. I don't wish ill will on his health, but not sorry to see him not playing.

Dean Denton
09-30-2008, 06:51 PM
Notice that once Simmons went out, we did not give up anymore sacks? Simmons sucks. He's the weak link of that line. I don't wish ill will on his health, but not sorry to see him not playing.
Yes...There were no sacks in the second half. I told my dad when they were carting him off the field that he was thinking. "Thank god, they cant put this on me anymore."....lol

BlitzburghRockCity
09-30-2008, 06:57 PM
Stapleton will stay at RG but Im wondering what they are going to do for depth now with this unit. Pretty much all we have left is Essex and that's it boys and girls. Perhaps this is a blessing in disguise for this group. They know they need to pull together and put on the "us against the world hats" because our season hangs in the balance of them pulling together and getting the job done. It shouldn't come to this but at this point who knows...

Dean Denton
09-30-2008, 07:15 PM
Stapleton will stay at RG but Im wondering what they are going to do for depth now with this unit. Pretty much all we have left is Essex and that's it boys and girls. Perhaps this is a blessing in disguise for this group. They know they need to pull together and put on the "us against the world hats" because our season hangs in the balance of them pulling together and getting the job done. It shouldn't come to this but at this point who knows...
Brother you are right. Lets hope a star is born somewhere in this mess. Or this unit becomes 5 as 1. We really need them to get it together. We have hope if the do.

Clevelandsux
09-30-2008, 07:26 PM
Well at least it forces them to address it.

steelcityrockers
09-30-2008, 08:55 PM
Addition by subtraction?

I would just like to say that this post is straight money.

Troyisabeast_43
09-30-2008, 09:05 PM
Tomlin said today that Trai Essex is going to get a look over there as well along with Stapleton. In my opinion, Stapleton should be the guy for now he stepped in last night in the 2nd half and did a nice job, and the o-line didnot allow any sacks when he was in the game.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-01-2008, 08:30 AM
Yeah I think Stapleton ends up winning this job..he's a good size prototypical guard/center build and the made the final roster cut this year so let's see what he can do.

ToothAche
10-01-2008, 11:27 AM
You always see and hear about players getting their chance and rising to the occasion. I sure hope Essex or Stapleton can put on their big-boy panties and help out our team.

jpele
10-01-2008, 11:43 AM
I really wish I could talk to the coahces face to face, and find out why Colon was not put at RG last night, with Starks at RT.

Obviously there is a reason, and I sure as **** hope its a good one, b/c they are paying Max more than anyone else on the team this year. It is really driving me ****ing insane.

I like Stapleton and all, I just need to know....

I have to believe its something personal between Starks and Tomlin. Max was our starter in 2005 and 2006,I'd like anyone to show me were Max played as bad as Colon.

I know one thing,if I were owner ( I know Dan don't get involved) and my line was in this condition, I want to know what was going on with my 7 million investment.

There has been a clamor since last season for the Steelers to put Colon at guard and put Max Starks back at right tackle, where he started for the 2005 and 2006 seasons.
"Not at this point," Tomlin said (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08275/916412-66.stm?cmpid=steelers.xml)of that possible move.