PDA

View Full Version : Can we find a healthy running back? Mendenhall done for the year

BlitzburghRockCity
09-30-2008, 12:51 AM
Parker out
Mendenhall out
Davis out

All that's left on this team is Moore right now, and that's no joke. We'll have to wait and see what develops with the injuries this week but it's not looking good early on for our stable of backs, or lack thereof...

steelcityrockers
09-30-2008, 12:56 AM
We currently have 1 running back healthy. Don't get me wrong. I like MeMo. But the whole "no backup or fullback" thing is a bit unnerving. I am not sure of the severity of Carey Davis, Rashard Mendenhall, or Willie Parker's injuries. A sprained knee, especially one that forces you to miss a game, is nothing to laugh at.

I am a fan of Gary Russel, but I don't want him being the top backup right yet.

Black@Gold Forever32
09-30-2008, 01:00 AM
We currently have 1 running back healthy. Don't get me wrong. I like MeMo. But the whole "no backup or fullback" thing is a bit unnerving. I am not sure of the severity of Carey Davis, Rashard Mendenhall, or Willie Parker's injuries. A sprained knee, especially one that forces you to miss a game, is nothing to laugh at.

I am a fan of Gary Russel, but I don't want him being the top backup right yet.

Parker will be back after the bye week....They might even rush to play him next week....I would expect Russell to be back on the active roster with these injuries to all the RBs.......I don't think Mendenhall or Davis have serious injuries but who knows at this point....

BlitzburghRockCity
09-30-2008, 01:04 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if they haven't already contacted Russel to get him on a flight back to Pittsburgh tonight or first thing tomorrow.

We haven't heard any updates yet on Mendenhall or Davis other than it's a shoulder and ankle respectively.

steelcityrockers
09-30-2008, 01:15 AM
Russel is on the practice squad, so he is at the game I think.

------------------------------------------------------------
[AutoMerged Post Below]
------------------------------------------------------------
At least the one back we have left is a good all-purpose guy.

MOTORKRAFT
09-30-2008, 01:42 AM
Finally, it will be Gary Russel time. He has been slaped in his face because of his college grades and that should stop now. Tomlin can't fu@k this up. Russel would have put that ball in the end zone, simple as that.

Dee Mca
09-30-2008, 01:43 AM
Did Tomlin just say mendenhall is going on the ir as well as simmons?

BlitzburghRockCity
09-30-2008, 01:45 AM
Yes Mendenhall has a broken shoulder and he's done for the year. Simmons has either an achilles injury or a broken ankle.

wow this is just all kinds of not good.

K Train
09-30-2008, 02:01 AM
davenport...

BlitzburghRockCity
09-30-2008, 02:04 AM
Russel and Davenport are the obvious choices right off the bat...BG32 and I were talking and Shaun Alexander is available right? Might be worth checking into :dunno:

This is just such a sad thing for Mendenhall, the dude was running hard tonight and getting into the flow of the game.

MOTORKRAFT
09-30-2008, 02:10 AM
:cope:Davenport is not an option. Alexander was looking for a soft spot to land before his big contract. Russel should be the muscle. I say give him a chance.

Black@Gold Forever32
09-30-2008, 02:11 AM
Dookie, Russell, Alexander are the only options I can think of....I want no part of Cedric Benson.....I also hope no Verron Haynes sightings pop up...lol

DIESELMAN
09-30-2008, 03:00 AM
I also hope no Verron Haynes sightings pop up...lol
No doubt!! Alexander would need a good OL to run behind, shot that all to hell...lol

OC Steel Curtain
09-30-2008, 03:15 AM
what about verron.. he knows the offense good and hes never really played bad

NCSteeler
09-30-2008, 03:44 AM
what about verron.. he knows the offense good and hes never really played bad

I wouldn't say Verron knows this Offense that well. He hasn't spent alot of time inthe new Arians offense.

I hate that this is happening to Mendehall, he was playing hard. I am anxious to see what russel can do, but not excited about it. I thinkthe situation forced us to learn that Stapleton isn't too bad and Moore really did get signed because he can play football. I for one was glad he was here tonight.

AZ_Steeler
09-30-2008, 04:26 AM
I like Moore... he's a gamer and I don't think anyone has really given him a chance since his injury. I think he might just surprise the Jags next week because he looked impressive when he touched the ball tonight!

Prosdo
09-30-2008, 02:36 PM
Rookie Mendenhall fractures shoulder; Simmons tears right Achilles

Associated Press

Updated: September 30, 2008, 1:05 PM ET

Steelers Licking Wounds After Injury-Filled Game

PITTSBURGH -- The Pittsburgh Steelers lost starting right guard Kendall Simmons and first-round draft pick Rashard Mendenhall to season-ending injuries during their 23-20 overtime victory over Baltimore on Monday night.

The Steelers (3-1) now face a short week before playing Sunday night at Jacksonville (2-2), a game in which fourth-string running back Mewelde Moore may have to start if Pro Bowl runner Willie Parker misses a second successive game with a sprained knee.

Simmons (torn right Achilles) and Mendenhall (fractured left shoulder) will be placed on injured reserve, coach Mike Tomlin said, and thus cannot return this season. A torn Achilles can be an especially difficult injury for a lineman to overcome because he pushes off his heel on every play.

"Our competitors, it has been well documented, a lot of those guys have suffered devastating injuries," Tomlin said. "It is only devastating if you allow it to be. People are not concerned with our problems, they are probably happy that we have them. We will address them and get ready to play."

Simmons was replaced by former undrafted free agent Darnell Stapleton on Monday, though it would seem likely that fourth-year lineman Trai Essex, who was not in uniform against Baltimore, would start Sunday.

The Steelers also lost running back Carey Davis (ankle) and backup linebacker Andre Frazier, who was carted off the field on a stretcher with a spine injury after the opening kickoff. Frazier initially appeared to be the most seriously injured, but he was walking freely and joking with teammates after the game. Tomlin said his tests proved negative.

Mendenhall's loss is a big one for Pittsburgh, and it came in his first NFL career start on a hard hit by Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis. He was drafted to give the Steelers a power back to go with Parker's speed, but Mendenhall's first season ended after only 19 carries. He had nine carries for 30 yards against Baltimore.

"We have some injuries that we need to deal with, that is part of football and we will [deal with it]," Tomlin said. "Our standard of expectation will not change. We have to go to Jacksonville on a short week, such is life in the National Football League."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3617312

What the hell.... :evilshake:

HUNT4SEVEN
09-30-2008, 03:00 PM
It sucks for Mendenhall because he had 30 yards on only 9 carries, he actually looked real good against the rats,but i think Moore deserve more time againts the Jackoffs, he was the major reason we were able to win the game, he definitely needs to be seeing more time on 3rd down:2cents::imho:

Dean Denton
09-30-2008, 03:35 PM
When Willie gets back, all of this wont matter because he wont get hurt anymore, and we only need a little change of pace back to help out. I feel bad for RM because he was running nice last night. we are going to be ok after the bye week, and Najah should work out just fine. I take him over anyone else that we could get because he knows the system.. Ben is getting ready to break out, and lead this team 100 million times over. Lets get it on fellas.....

Stairwayto7
09-30-2008, 05:13 PM
Parker will be back after the bye week....They might even rush to play him next week....I would expect Russell to be back on the active roster with these injuries to all the RBs.......I don't think Mendenhall or Davis have serious injuries but who knows at this point....

I don`t think that we can afford to rush him back!

LarryNJ
09-30-2008, 05:34 PM
Ben is getting ready to break out, and lead this team 100 million times over. Lets get it on fellas.....

Love the attiude DD! :yellowthumb:

Now that Ben is QB & OC he's really earning the $$$

Dean Denton
09-30-2008, 05:40 PM
I don`t think that we can afford to rush him back!

I dont think that we will need too. The next time he plays should be against the Bungles. Thats a month. Coach will test him out, and see, but I would think he should be fine by the Giants game. He better be. I had to run my buddy out of my house last night because he started running at the mouth. Talking about Eli could be better than Ben. I asked him if he really thought Eli was better, and he couldn't say yes because he knows better. Still, I ran his *** out, this was just after the Ravens scored before Half time, and he was gettin on my nerves. I thanked him for the Gryo though...lol My dad thought it was funny.

Clevelandsux
09-30-2008, 06:27 PM
Sorry to See mendenhall go down. I was really looking forward to seeing him flourish as a rookie.

Steelerlyn
09-30-2008, 10:19 PM
I had a very strong feeling Mendenhall would do nada..........when you have no protection you have nada.

steelcityrockers
09-30-2008, 10:50 PM
He actually didn't do all that bad. He had 30 yards on 9 carries, while alhtough not a good average, I have seen worse.

Dee Mca
09-30-2008, 11:35 PM
I say put Mchugh in the backfield as a blocker and let Ben throw the ball. He seemed to be a good blocker the few times he lined up as a back. Also didnt greenbay caught Noah Herron. I say he'd be better than Davenport or Hayes.

Blitzburghpete
10-01-2008, 11:21 AM
Travis Henry ?
Veron Haynes
Shawn Alexander
Davenport

Just names to throw in the mix there