PDA

View Full Version : Expecting low score

yinzer
09-29-2008, 07:22 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08273/915930-66.stm

now, i realize this is going to be a battle of two great defenses tonight but i just don't like the way the players are sounding about all this. i would imagine our guys would want to go into heinz field tonight to slaughter the ravens. they're talking about a 6-3 score! i understand that could be the reality but why not go in with the mindset of beating the turds into oblivion??

BlitzburghRockCity
09-29-2008, 08:25 AM
the Steelers and Ratbirds is generally a fairly close game, one where both teams beat the snot out of each other and both walk away from it needing some extra time in the trainers room the following morning. If it's going to be high scoring it's going to be us doing the high scoring; if their pass rush starts getting through and we can't pick it up it will probably be a more low scoring affair. I would love to see us crush them like last year but I'll take a win anyway we can get it.

jpele
09-29-2008, 08:45 AM
6-3, now thats real football no matter what the NFL thinks. Of course being a Steeler fan I'd love to blow the Rats out.

HUNT4SEVEN
09-29-2008, 09:10 AM
I don't care what the score is as long as we beat the Rats Birds:yellowthumb:

DIESELMAN
09-29-2008, 09:44 AM
I love a good defensive game on both sides of the ball. Of course in a game like that we need a good OC to make the right calls at the right time, oh well shot that all to hell. :greengrin:

BlackGold4vr
09-29-2008, 11:06 AM
Everybody knows exactly what is coming tonight. The Ravens have undoubtedly watched the footage from the Eagles game and will plan to bring the same kind of pressure. The Ravens defense is actually better than the Eagles so this does not bode well for us. There are two different ways that our offense can combat the blitz assault that they are likely to see tonight. The first way is to actually block like they are being paid to do which I don't see happening. Our line seems to be made up of several weak chain links strung together. The second way will rely on Bruce Arians to install a game plan that will give Ben some options to get rid of the ball fast, something he never did against Philly. Everybody here knows that there are ways to beat teams that bring the blitz on every play. With all the weapons we have you would think that this team could easily exploit such an attack. We couldn't adjust to it last week, now we will see if a week of preparing for such an onslaught makes a difference.

So far we beat teams with a combined record of 1-6

Got annihilated by a team that is 2-2

Lots of unanswered questions about the heart of this team.........

LarryNJ
09-29-2008, 11:10 AM
No way it's going to be 6-3 unless we miss an extra point. I think we'll score at least 10 points on turnovers alone. The D will get one TD from an INT return, and have another turn over that will be good for a FG even if the O does nothing. So as long as we don't have a key fumble (#34) or an int we should be in good shape for a win in spite of our offensive issues.
10 points for our D & 10 for the O

20-6 Steelers

BlackGold4vr
09-29-2008, 11:16 AM
I worry about Mendenhall keeping the ball off the turf. Undoubtedly the Ravens have the scouting report on Rashard and know he carries the ball loosely. It will be a successful game for him if he doesn't fumble the ball. The Ravens will definitely be trying to strip it away from him. :yesnod:

LatrobePA
09-29-2008, 11:28 AM
Here is how I see it playing out:

BA will have another POOR game plan.
Ben will get beat on and make bad decisions and some good ones.
Flacco will look like a champ throwing all over us to start the game.
Rats will run against our D a bit more than past three games.
O-line will play better but lack of a good game plan will make us look bad.
34 will have an OK night but will get dinged up.

Sorry to sound neg. but this team has looked bad and is ranked right at the bottom in offense. A team with so many weapons, just no coaching to utilize them right.

However I do see us winning!! Just not a pretty one!!

DIESELMAN
09-29-2008, 11:33 AM
I worry about Mendenhall keeping the ball off the turf. Undoubtedly the Ravens have the scouting report on Rashard and know he carries the ball loosely. It will be a successful game for him if he doesn't fumble the ball. The Ravens will definitely be trying to strip it away from him. :yesnod:
Thats why Mendenhall should have at least 5-10 carries a game no matter how good FWP is playing. He needs to get conditioned on being hit by NFL players and also get used to the faster game speed. His fumbling can be fixed, but if he doesn't get the carries, he's not going to beat that problem.

BlacknGold Bleeder
09-29-2008, 11:36 AM
the STEELERS just gotta go out and play STEELERS football !! They need to play and we can worry all ya want , but they need to concentrate on playing.

Until Rushard carries the ball a hundred times without fumbling, and airhead throws to a TE or something different we as fans will worry about it. Now let's all just focus on task at hand.... LET'S EAT WINGS TONIGHT!!!

BlackGold4vr
09-29-2008, 11:40 AM
I saw one of the sports shows compare the way Rashard carries the ball down low to the way Tiki Barber carried it in the beginning of his career when he too had a reputation of fumbling the ball. After Tiki changed the way he carried the ball he became one of the best backs in the league at holding onto the ball. Hope Rashard caught that show. :lol:

Iron City South
09-29-2008, 11:44 AM
Steelers win by at least 2 scores .....

Flacco has NEVER once faced a 3-4 defense quite like ours in his illustrious career. He will be very confused and he will be pummeled upon soundly and bludgeoned.

BlacknGold Bleeder
FWP is playing. H.

FWP is playing?? last I Knew he is out at least 2 weeks... Rushard just needs to run with ball, not carry it. If he is carrying it, it means he is focusing on it to much. Go out and be a player !!!
Joe Flaccid is gonna see how a rookie QB does against a REAL defense!! He is gonna get an up close and personal view of the field with Silverback and Woody sacking his arse !! :tt02::tt02:

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO !!

LatrobePA
Well our coaches are not smart enough to let the rookie first 2 picks to play to build their confidence up. Other teams around the league have and with good results.

DIESELMAN
09-29-2008, 11:49 AM
Thats why Mendenhall should have at least 5-10 carries a game no matter how good FWP is playing. He needs to get conditioned on being hit by NFL players and also get used to the faster game speed. His fumbling can be fixed, but if he doesn't get the carries, he's not going to beat that problem.

FWP is playing?? last I Knew he is out at least 2 weeks...
You only caught half of what I said bro.

Rushard just needs to run with ball, not carry it. If he is carrying it, it means he is focusing on it to much. Go out and be a player !!!

Exactly!!

Dean Denton
09-29-2008, 12:19 PM
No way it's going to be 6-3 unless we miss an extra point. I think we'll score at least 10 points on turnovers alone. The D will get one TD from an INT return, and have another turn over that will be good for a FG even if the O does nothing. So as long as we don't have a key fumble (#34) or an int we should be in good shape for a win in spite of our offensive issues.
10 points for our D & 10 for the O

20-6 Steelers
Thats the spirit. Thats the shiat I'm talking about. Our D will score. This team will be fired up. Everything is still up in the air. So far the 2 best teams in ther AFC are the Bills and the Titans, and this will not last. I trust Collins to fold mid-season, and the Bills dont have Kellly or Thomas. This is still our season to lose. If we rally we can do this. On paper we are the best in the AFC. Now we just need to show it. We all new that this team wasn't going 16-0, so lets get ready for this game, and know that we will stomp a mud hole in these goons, and walk it dry....Austin 3:16.....lol

Steelerlyn
09-29-2008, 12:26 PM
Well our coaches are not smart enough to let the rookie first 2 picks to play to build their confidence up. Other teams around the league have and with good results.

How true ...look at KC they put in a couple rookies made some adjustments and they could not be stopped. The Steelers do not have that kind of coaching. Should the Steelers win tonight, whcih I highly doubt, after the mess I saw last week.......it will be because of the Defense.......as usual.

seth_westover
09-29-2008, 02:18 PM
I just hope we ****in win tonight! not only is it a division game, not only is my cousins favorite team the ratbirds, not only will it be great to rub it in his face, but tomorrow is my birthday and i would love nothing more than to destroy the ****in piece of **** ratbirds for a nice birthday present!

TampaSteelGirl
09-29-2008, 02:23 PM
I personally think that after the embarrassment last week they won't play like that again, not to mention i'm sure our defense has it's mouth watering at the thought of playing against a rookie QB..I think the Oline is going to step it up and protect Ben much better. I don't think it will be a high scoring game but I see us winning in the end. :tt02:

Dean Denton
09-29-2008, 03:21 PM
I personally think that after the embarrassment last week they won't play like that again, not to mention i'm sure our defense has it's mouth watering at the thought of playing against a rookie QB..I think the Oline is going to step it up and protect Ben much better. I don't think it will be a high scoring game but I see us winning in the end. :tt02: Lets hope so. I cant remember the last time this team stunk 2 weeks straight. Lets hope it doesn't start now. Well, not the entire team, just the Off....

Gettysburgh_Steel
09-29-2008, 06:38 PM
Last week was a little bit of a let down,but embarressment,i don't subscibe to that.Most of the time when we play the "original Clowns" we bring an "A" game. Sometimes we treat them like they are the "Originals",and blow them out soundly. Sometimes it goes in a different direction. We have had more close games,than we had blowouts either way. I am not convinced it will be that low of a scoring affair, but it could come down to a Jeff Reed field goal. Our defense for me has always ,for the most part made me proud. Kinda attracted me to them. The whole afc north has tried to duplicate thier 3/4' s to try and copy some of the things we do.
My point is, that if our offense is having problems ,The defense can still step up,and they have!!!!!!!!!They kept the game with-in reach,and we all know that. Low scoring,no,not for our offense. They have been the talk of the nation. I look for a bust out game on our part.If not,maybe i will believe that our o-line is that bad. 24-21,Us .

Clevelandsux
09-29-2008, 07:05 PM
Remember Rolle, Landry and Kelly Gregg are all out for the Ravens. So I guess it evens it out a little with all our injuries.

Dean Denton
09-29-2008, 07:17 PM
Remember Rolle, Landry and Kelly Gregg are all out for the Ravens. So I guess it evens it out a little with all our injuries. Their entire secondary can be third stringers, but if we cant protect Ben it wont matter. He needs time to at least spike the ball if we need him to. This OL better play with their heads on straight or I'm gonna get pissed off.....

Gettysburgh_Steel
09-29-2008, 07:38 PM
that depends on how they use the new guy.He can catch the ball. He can run the ball. I like the odds.How will he be used? If we can establish the run,i can not see this game being close,or low scoring. I would believe close more than low scoring.(LOL):tt02:

Dean Denton
09-29-2008, 07:49 PM
that depends on how they use the new guy.He can catch the ball. He can run the ball. I like the odds.How will he be used? If we can establish the run,i can not see this game being close,or low scoring. I would believe close more than low scoring.(LOL):tt02:
Jiggleballs should be good for 50-60 yards. more than that, and he will be starting everytime we play the Ravens, even if parker is ok to go. I really cant see either team getting more than 20 points. Unless its us. Our Off can do that, theirs...not so much. Now maybe their Def can score 20 points, but that means we just got our butts kicked at home. i dont know what to think about this game right now, other than I can wait to get home and watch it. got 2 20oz lazy boys ready to go. thats right boys, its 8.7 beer. lets get it on.......

Gettysburgh_Steel
09-29-2008, 08:04 PM
Jiggleballs should be good for 50-60 yards. more than that, and he will be starting everytime we play the Ravens, even if parker is ok to go. I really cant see either team getting more than 20 points. Unless its us. Our Off can do that, theirs...not so much. Now maybe their Def can score 20 points, but that means we just got our butts kicked at home. i dont know what to think about this game right now, other than I can wait to get home and watch it. got 2 20oz lazy boys ready to go. thats right boys, its 8.7 beer. lets get it on.......

Sorry bout your luck west coast boy.(LOL) I am off work here in the heart of steeler country,Well maybe outside the steeler country,but i am here to stay. I am getting pretty antsy waiting for this game. The new guy could change everything. I back the o-line,but not the co-ordinater. Maybe The Tomlinater needs to do something. This is at home and it could be huge. No beefs with the d. Offense must show a workable plan. The "hall" could provide an edge!!!!!:tt02:

Clevelandsux
09-29-2008, 08:06 PM
Expecting a low score, but I hope we blow them out.

Gettysburgh_Steel
09-29-2008, 08:22 PM
Sometimes we do just that.Nice game to take back what is ours.Low scoring is iffy,close game can be expected. Our rookie,is not as major as thiers. Come on D!! If we play like we all know we can, This game should be awsome. ENJOY!!!!!!:tt02:

BlitzburghRockCity
09-30-2008, 01:11 AM
It's pretty much as was expected...a smash mouth, physical, multiple injury type of game. It's how these games always are regardless of the score.

seth_westover
09-30-2008, 01:33 AM
THE boys pulled it off for me! totally made this a great birthday!!! lol!

LatrobePA
09-30-2008, 09:50 AM
Here is how I see it playing out:

BA will have another POOR game plan.
Ben will get beat on and make bad decisions and some good ones.
Flacco will look like a champ throwing all over us to start the game.
Rats will run against our D a bit more than past three games.
O-line will play better but lack of a good game plan will make us look bad.
34 will have an OK night but will get dinged up.

Sorry to sound neg. but this team has looked bad and is ranked right at the bottom in offense. A team with so many weapons, just no coaching to utilize them right.

However I do see us winning!! Just not a pretty one!!

Damn I was pretty close!